Assortment of high 30 In style South Indian breakfast recipes. South Indian delicacies could be very huge because it contains of cuisines from the 5 South Indian states – Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala and Karnataka.
In these states additionally there are regional cuisines which are recognized for his or her distinctive and scrumptious recipe, eg Chettinad delicacies, Udupi delicacies, Mangalorean delicacies, Hyderabadi delicacies and so on.
On this publish, I’m sharing a group of In style breakfast recipes from South India. I hope this publish lets you determine in your breakfast menu.
Many of the South Indian breakfast recipes are wholesome or might be made more healthy by changing all objective flour with entire wheat flour. Some recipes require some preparation like soaking rice and lentils for idli or dosa. Recipes like idli, dosa, upma, appam may also be packed in a tiffin field for teenagers.
30 Greatest South Indian Breakfast Recipes
1. Idli Recipe – Idli is likely one of the most healthiest and fashionable South Indian breakfast dish. These are smooth, mild, fluffy idlis served with Sambar and Coconut Chutney shouldn’t be solely tasty however very wholesome as properly. This idli recipe publish additionally particulars the tactic of constructing idli batter.
2. Masala Dosa – It’s once more a well-liked South Indian breakfast snack not solely in India however overseas as properly. Although making masala dosa is a protracted course of, however its value it. On this recipe, the dosa is crisp and served with a scrumptious potato masala. In the event you do not need time, then skip making the potato masala and simply make the sada dosa (plain dosa) with coconut chutney.
3. Appam Recipe – These tasty lacy smooth hoppers also referred to as appam or palappam are a well-liked Kerala breakfast served together with Vegetable Stew. They’re gluten-free and vegan as properly
4. Pongal Recipe – Ben Pongal is a South Indian breakfast made with rice and yellow moong lentils. This porridge like savory dish is laced with cumin, asafoetida and black pepper. To not overlook the beautiful aroma of ghee, which is used for tempering these spices. Two extra tasty Pongal variations you can also make for breakfast are:
5. Medu Vada – These are crispy, fluffy, smooth and scrumptious lentil fritters from South Indian delicacies. If candy breakfast isn’t your factor, do that recipe for savory spiced donuts made with black gram lentils and fragrant spices. The combo of Vada with Sambar tastes too good.
6. Upma Recipe – It’s a straightforward and fast South Indian breakfast dish produced from rava (sooji or cream of wheat). Upma is normally served with coconut chutney, lemon slices or Lemon pickle. It may also be had plain. There are a lot of variations of upma fashionable in south India like:
7. Idiyappam recipe – idiyappam also referred to as nool puttu are string hoppers and a well-liked breakfast in Kerala. this idiyappam recipe offers you smooth and easy idiyappam which tastes superb with a curry or any aspect dish of your alternative like Veg korma or Mushroom korma or veg stew or Kadala curry.
8. Uttapam recipe – Uttapam is a scrumptious South Indian tiffin breakfast of thick pancakes. These pancakes are produced from fermented rice and urad dal batter. Different scrumptious uttapam variations you can also make for breakfast are:
9. Rava dosa – One other fashionable South Indian dosa selection that you may make for a fast breakfast. The most effective a part of making immediate rava dosa is that it doesn’t require any fermentation and could be very straightforward to make.
You can also make the rava dosa plain or you may spice it up by including chopped onions, curry leaves, herbs and spices. Different fashionable fast dosa varieties are:
10. Puttu recipe – puttu served with Kadala kari is likely one of the hottest breakfast mixture from Kerala. Aside from kadala curry it additionally tastes good with veg stew or potato stew.
11. Poori masala – the combo of Poori with potato curry is fashionable throughout India. This South Indian potato masala gravy style superior not solely with pooris but additionally goes very properly with dosa or Roti or Paratha.
At instances I additionally make this Maharashtrian style poori bhaji and Punjabi aloo poori. This breakfast dish is appreciated throughout India and is made in numerous methods.
12. Akki roti – it is likely one of the staple breakfast in Karnataka and is made with rice flour and blend veggies. Akki rotti makes for a very good wholesome breakfast. You’ll be able to add veggies of your alternative within the dough. One other flat bread which is fashionable in Karnataka delicacies is Jowar roti.
13. Pesarattu recipe – Start your day with these wholesome crepes produced from inexperienced mung beans. Generally known as Pesarattu these are crisp crepes made with a flippantly spiced mung bean batter and are a speciality breakfast from the Andhra delicacies.
14. Adai recipe – adai is a scrumptious protein wealthy pancake. Making adai could be very straightforward. rice and lentils are soaked after which floor to a barely coarse batter. Additionally in contrast to Making dosa you don’t must ferment the batter.
15. Rava Tdli – These fast idlis made with sooji makes for a straightforward breakfast possibility. To make immediate rava idlis, no grinding and fermenting is required.
16. Set dosa – These are very smooth, mild and spongy dosa selection. These smooth dosas are referred to as as set dosa as they’re served in a set of three dosa per serving. serve set dosa along with your favourite coconut chutney, Veg sagu or Potato sagu or veg korma or Idli Sambar.
17. Mysore Bonda Recipe – These are crisp, smooth and fluffy fritters made with urad dal (black gram), some spices and recent coconut bits. There are a lot of variations of bonda that are made like:
18. Chow chow bath – a breakfast dish fashionable in bangalore. This breakfast contains of mainly three dishes, that are – Savory Khara Bhath, a Sweet rava kesari and Coconut chutney.
19. Aval dosa – that is one dosa that’s amazingly smooth, spongy, porous and stays so even after some hours. Wonderful for tiffin bins with some dry chutney or Idli Podi. this poha dosa recipe is an Andhra specialty.
20. Poha idli – These are amazingly smooth, mild and fluffy idli varieties made with poha (parched rice), idli rice and entire urad dal (husked entire black gram). It makes for a wholesome and scrumptious breakfast or lunch when paired with coconut chutney and sambar.
There are a couple of extra breakfast recipes made with poha like:
21. Semiya upma – It’s a scrumptious upma variant made with vermicelli, aromatics, spices, cashews and herbs. This fast and simple breakfast dish can also be referred to as as vermicelli upma and has distinctive flavors and textures. A vegan breakfast possibility that comes collectively in below half-hour.
22. Ragi dosa – It’s a wholesome variation of dosa or crepes made with ragi seeds or ragi flour. There are a lot of methods ragi dosa might be made. Ragi dosa recipe is gluten-free as properly. I’m sharing two tasty and wholesome recipes on this publish.
Ragi or finger millet or nachni is a wholesome grain and I do embrace them wherever I can, like in making dishes like Ragi Roti, Ragi Ladoo, Ragi Halwa, Ragi Kheer and Ragi Idli. Being very wealthy in calcium its wonderful for girls in addition to for youngsters.
23. Rava kichadi – This breakfast dish is extra like Khichdi and one that’s made with rava. I do add some veggies in it to offer some texture and diet. The veggies that may be added to this dish are capsicum (bell pepper), french beans, inexperienced peas and carrots. However you may skip veggies and make it with out veggies additionally.
24. Neer dosa – smooth, skinny, mild and lacy crepes made with rice batter. Neer dosas are straightforward to organize as fermentation shouldn’t be required. Aside from coconut chutney, neer dosa may also be served with Veg sagu or veg korma or potato korma.
25. Oats idli – wholesome, tasty and immediate oats idli recipe. No fermentation is required to make this fast idli recipe. There are few extra breakfast Recipes with oats that may be made like:
26. Benne dosa – These crisp, smooth and buttery dosas are from the Davangere metropolis in central Karnataka. These Davangere dosas usually are not just like the common dosas because the style in addition to the feel is completely different. They’re crisp and but have a smooth, mild texture. Davangere benne dosa is normally served with a potato filling (referred to as as potato palya) and a spicy coconut chutney.
27. Paniyaram recipe – These are savory, spiced dumplings produced from rice and urad dal batter or Idli Batter, onions, spices and herbs with an occasional addition of recent coconut. This delicacy from South Indian delicacies makes for a great way to make the most of leftover idli batter. They’re crisp from out and smooth from inside.
28. Mangalore buns recipe – These are candy fried bread made with mashed bananas, flour, sugar and spiced with a contact of floor cumin. These candy banana buns or poori as they’re recognized is a specialty dish from the Mangalore area in Karnataka. They are often had as a candy breakfast and even as a snack.
29. Malabar parotta recipe – Kerala parotta is a layered flaky flat bread that’s fashionable throughout the entire of south India. It’s a variation of the North Indian Lachha paratha.
You’ll be able to serve Kerala paratha with any vegetable curry like Veg korma or potato kurma or Veg Kolhapuri or Veg kadai or lentil curry like Dal makhani or with Paneer butter masala. Even the easy dal tastes so good with the Kerala parotta.
30. Mysore masala dosa – The recipe is just like the mysore masala dosa served within the Bangalore and Mysore eating places. The mysore masala dosa is unfold with a spicy Red chili-garlic red chutney and the potato palya stir fry and served with coconut chutney and sambar.
This South Indian Breakfast Recipes publish from the archives (December 2017) has been republished and up to date on January 2023.