This Aloo Ki Sabji or Aloo Tamatar Sabji is a potato gravy preparation made with tomatoes and some spices. This specific dish doesn’t have onion, garlic or heavy spices and thus a satvik recipe. With minimal components, Aloo Tamatar ki Sabji could be very easy and straightforward to arrange, and makes for the proper meals on any day together with the Hindu fasting days (vrat). The recipe can also be vegan.
About Aloo ki Sabji
There’s hardly anytime that you may go improper with both potatoes, tomatoes or a mixture of each. Particularly in Indian delicacies, these 2 greens are the best to work with, but make for amazingly scrumptious dishes. At dwelling as effectively, the pairing like on this Aloo Tamatar Ki Sabji makes for a comforting dish.
I’ve mentioned this in my different posts, however I’m going to reiterate – it’s virtually a important scenario at dwelling, if there is no such thing as a aloo or tamatar in my vegetable tray. Whether or not different veggies are there or no, these two need to be there all the time. Like, actually all the time! And the best means I can deliver these 2 collectively in a dish is that this Aloo Tamatar Sabzi.
Additionally, whether or not I’m preserving a quick or not, I usually make this Aloo ki Sabji for my household. The truth that it’s a fancy free, low on spices and lightweight curry is what makes it particular. Generally, you’ve got days whenever you simply wish to eat a curry, however a soothing one. And never the everyday wealthy one. These days, this Aloo Tamatar Sabzi is a savior.
I’m saying this once more, a potato or aloo is a really pleasant and useful vegetable, particularly for dwelling cooks. This root vegetable is nice by itself or in firm with different veggies/leafy greens like inexperienced peas, tomatoes, carrots, spinach, cauliflower, beans, fenugreek leaves, capsicum and extra.
Often, I make this Aloo Tamatar Ki Sabji with pooris and infrequently as a breakfast. However, for that arrange, I have a tendency so as to add onion and garlic in it. Because the recipe on this specific publish is devoted to Navratri fasting, I’ve made the recipe with out onion, garlic and spiced it simply with cumin, pink chili powder and black pepper powder.
So, whenever you make the Aloo Tamatar ki Sabji this manner, you’ll be able to serve and relish it with comparable vrat pleasant accompaniments like Vrat Ki Roti, Singhare Ki Poori, Rajgira Paratha or Rajgire Ki Poori. I even have one other potato-based dish apt on your fasts, referred to as the Vrat Ke Aloo, which is equally tasty.
Find out how to make Aloo ki Sabji
Prepare dinner Potatoes
1. Pour 1.25 to 1.5 cups water in a 2-liter stovetop stress cooker or pan. Rinse effectively in water just a few occasions and add the two medium-sized potatoes and a few edible rock salt (sendha namak).
Boil the potatoes for two to three whistles on medium-heat. The potatoes needs to be simply cooked. They need to not turn into crumbly or mushy.
Let the stress drop naturally within the cooker, then solely open the lid. Take away the cooked potatoes and put aside to chill.
2. Let the potatoes cool barely or turn into heat. Peel and chop them.
3. Maintain all of the components prepared for making Aloo Tamatar Sabzi.
Make Aloo Tamatar Ki Sabji
4. Warmth 1 tablespoon oil in a pan. You too can swap the oil with ghee in case you want.
5. Add 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds and allow them to splutter on low warmth.
6. Then, add 4 medium sized chopped tomatoes – about 2 cups of finely chopped tomatoes.
7. Sauté until they turn into delicate stirring usually on medium-low to medium warmth.
8. Proceed to sauté the tomatoes until they soften and turn into pulpy.
9. Then, add ¼ teaspoon pink chilli powder, ¼ teaspoon black pepper and edible rock salt as required. You too can add common salt if not making for fasting.
10. Stir and blend effectively to mix.
11. Add the chopped boiled potatoes and stir to combine once more.
12. Add 1 cup of water.
13. Stir and let the gravy prepare dinner on low warmth for 7 to eight minutes or until it thickens barely.
14. Barely mash just a few potato items with a spoon to assist in thickening the gravy.
15. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve Aloo Tamatar ki Sabji scorching or heat along with your most well-liked flatbread like roti or paratha or puri.
Please make sure you price the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark under when you’ve got made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Aloo ki Sabji | Aloo Tamatar Ki Sabji
Aloo ki Sabji or Aloo Tamatar Ki Sabji is a simple to make evenly spiced gravy that includes potatoes, tomatoes, just a few spices and herbs. A satvik recipe made with out onion and garlic.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 10 minutes
Whole Time 30 minutes
Stop your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Take 1.25 to 1.5 cups water in a 2 litre stress cooker or stress pan. Add 2 potatoes and the salt. Boil the potatoes on medium warmth for two to three whistles.
Let the stress drop naturally within the cooker, then solely open the lid.
The potatoes needs to be simply cooked. They need to not turn into crumbly or mushy.
Take away the potatoes and put aside on a plate to chill.
Let the potatoes turn into heat or calm down barely.
Then peel the and cube them.
Making aloo ki sabji
Warmth the oil or ghee in a pan.
Add cumin seeds and allow them to crackle on low warmth.
Then add finely chopped tomatoes.
Sauté until they turn into delicate and mushy, stirring usually on medium-low to medium warmth.
You will notice the oil leaving the perimeters as soon as the tomatoes have cooked fully.
Subsequent add pink chili powder, black pepper and salt as required. Combine effectively.
Add the chopped potatoes and stir to combine once more.
Add 1 cup water.
Stir to combine effectively. Let the gravy prepare dinner for 7 to eight minutes or extra on a low warmth, until it thickens barely.
Mash just a few potato items with a spoon to assist in thickening of the gravy.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Serve the Aloo ki Sabji scorching or heat along with your most well-liked breads like roti, paratha or poori.
- If you happen to want, you’ll be able to prepare dinner the potatoes extra. So as an alternative of chopping, you’ll be able to crumble them and add to the sautéed tomatoes.
- Modify the seasonings as wanted based on your style preferences.
- If you happen to like, add some onion, garlic and ginger to the gravy base.
- You too can add some inexperienced chillies. Since this recipe is for vrat or Hindu fasting, I’ve not add many spices to it.
- This recipe might be simply scaled.
Aloo ki Sabji | Aloo Tamatar Ki Sabji
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 184 Energy from Fats 45
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g6%
Polyunsaturated Fats 0.4g
Monounsaturated Fats 4g
Vitamin A 1437IU29%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.2mg13%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.1mg6%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 3mg15%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 51mg62%
Vitamin E 3mg20%
Vitamin Okay 17µg16%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 48µg12%
* % Every day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie weight loss plan.
This Aloo ki Sabji from the archives first printed in October 2013 has been up to date and republished on December 2022.