Aloo Matar (additionally spelled Aloo Mutter) is among the most comforting and beloved Punjabi curries round. I discovered the way to make this spiced, scrumptious tomato-based potato and inexperienced peas curry from my mother-in-law, and it’s now a favourite recipe in our home. Serve Aloo Mutter with Indian breads like Poori, Roti or Paratha for a meal that looks like a hug!
Extra on Aloo Matar
Aloo (which means “potatoes”) and matar (additionally spelled mattar or mutter, which means “peas”) be part of forces on this delightfully saucy curry. It is usually generally known as aloo matar ki sabji in Hindi. Once I’m in want of consolation meals, that is the recipe I flip to.
Word: Aloo matar could be made both in a gravy base or made dry like roasted veggies. In case you are a fan of the dry model of peas and potatoes, then do test my savory and spiced Dry Aloo Matar Sabzi which tastes equally good.
Homestyle meals will not be solely simpler and faster to make than restaurant-style recipes, however additionally it is typically extra acquainted as nicely. One of many issues I like about this Aloo Matar curry is how cozy and comforting it feels. Whenever you’re feeling below the climate or have had a tough day (or 12 months), this recipe is a superb balm on your soul.
My household recipe for this common Punjabi potato and peas curry can be easy to make and requires little or no kitchen experience. And so far as Indian recipes are involved, it has a quite brief record of substances, making it an ideal entry-level recipe for brand new cooks.
Whereas fantastically spiced and filled with taste, this aloo mutter is equally interesting to each choosy youngsters and “foodie” adults. The potatoes and peas develop into tender and virtually creamy whereas cooking, making them a stunning foil to the tangy spiced tomato sauce.
And don’t neglect in regards to the bread! When served with Puri (Indian fried bread), roti, paratha or naan, you’ll have a straightforward approach to sop up all of the spicy gravy goodness left on the backside of the bowl. Truthfully, is there something extra soothing than utilizing recent bread to wash your plate?
So in case you are in want of a recipe that’s fast and simple to make, free from any esoteric substances or fancy gear, THIS is the dish for you. Make my Aloo Mutter curry as we speak and relish the contentment on the one you love’s faces as they take pleasure in each final chunk.
Find out how to make Aloo Matar
To assist ease your cooking troubles, my step-by-step images are right here to information you. For those who comply with them, you can also make this straightforward, tasty homestyle aloo matar recipe.
Word: I’ve cooked the gravy in a pan, however in case you are in need of time you should utilize a stove-top strain cooker or Prompt Pot as an alternative. I’ve talked about the small print of cooking in a strain cooker or Prompt pot within the recipe card beneath.
Mix Curry Components
1. Take ½ cup chopped onions, 1 cup chopped tomatoes, 1 teaspoon chopped ginger (chopped) and 1 teaspoon chopped garlic in a grinder or blender jar.
2. With out including any water, grind or mix to a easy paste.
Prepare dinner Curry Masala Paste
3. Warmth 2 tablespoons of oil in a thick-bottomed pot or strain cooker. Add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds and prepare dinner till they crackle.
You should use any impartial flavored oil. For a richer style you may as well use ghee (clarified butter).
4. Now add the bottom onion-tomato paste to the oil within the pan. Preserve the warmth to a low and likewise take care because the combination splutters.
5. Stir nicely after which add 1 tablespoon malai (the thick layer of cream floating on high of boiled cooled complete milk).
For those who don’t have malai, you may add 1 tablespoon of almond powder (almond meal) or 1 tablespoon of cashew powder or 1 tablespoon heavy cream. Or you may utterly omit the cream.
6. Tip: The curry masala combination splutters, so cowl the pot or cooker partly with a lid.
7. As soon as the combination stops spluttering, then take away the lid and sauté.
8. Stir typically in order that the curry masala doesn’t get browned or will get caught to the bottom of the pot.
9. Sauté the bottom paste until the oil releases from the edges and the masala paste thickens. You will notice that the paste turns into shiny and comes collectively in a sort of lump.
10. Then add a beneficiant pinch of asafoetida (hing), ½ teaspoon crimson chili powder and ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder. Stir and blend the spice powders with the remainder of the sautéed masala paste.
Word: In case you are gluten-free, please test the label of your asafoetida. Many commercially accessible manufacturers are processed with wheat merchandise. If obligatory, omit the asafoetida from the recipe.
Make Aloo Matar
11. Add 1 cup inexperienced peas and a pair of giant potatoes (peeled and diced) to the curry masala paste.
12. Stir and sauté for a minute.
13. If cooking in a pot, add 1.5 cups of water.
If utilizing a stovetop strain cooker then add 1 cup water and strain prepare dinner for 7 to eight minutes on medium-heat till the potatoes and peas are cooked utterly.
If utilizing an Prompt Pot first fry the spices and sauté the onion-tomato paste. Then strain prepare dinner for five minutes on excessive after you add the peas, potatoes, salt and water.
14. Season with salt as required.
15. Stir nicely and canopy the pot with the lid.
16. Simmer until the potatoes and peas are cooked tender. If obligatory, you may add some extra water.
In case you are cooking in a pot on the stovetop, it should take about 20 to half-hour on a low to medium warmth. The time will range with the depth of the warmth and thickness and high quality of the pot.
17. Lastly sprinkle in ½ teaspoon garam masala powder. Stir once more.
17. Then add 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (cilantro).
18. Stir nicely and serve Aloo Matar sizzling from the pan, ideally with Indian breads like poori, roti, paratha, naan or serve with steamed rice or cumin rice.
I choose to make use of recent peas over frozen ones in any dish the place matar is among the important substances. For those who don’t have recent inexperienced peas, then you should utilize frozen ones. Right here I used recent peas which I had beforehand shelled and frozen.
I typically purchase two kilograms of recent peas after which pod them. After all of the inexperienced peas are collected, I retailer them within the freezer in an air tight field. Afterwards you should utilize these frozen peas to make quite a lot of Green Peas Recipes.
The thickness of your gravy is a results of how a lot water you add to the dish. For those who choose a thicker gravy, add much less water. Alternately, you may enable it to simmer with the lid off to evaporate away some extra water.
The recipe as written will not be very spicy; quite, I’d describe it as a spiced gravy. It ought to be gentle sufficient for youngsters. For those who’d choose a spicier potato and pea curry, you may regulate the quantity of dry crimson chili powder that you just add. You may also add a inexperienced chili to the tomato-onion paste whenever you grind it.
Please remember to fee this recipe within the recipe card beneath when you’ve got made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Aloo Matar | Aloo Mutter (Potato Peas Curry)
This Aloo Matar (additionally spelled Aloo Mutter) is a straightforward, scrumptious, comforting curry recipe of potato and inexperienced peas in an onion, tomato, spice laden gravy base. It makes for a wholesome and comforting meal when paired with Indian breads or steamed rice.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 15 minutes
Complete Time 30 minutes
Stop your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Take chopped onions, tomatoes, ginger and garlic in a grinder or blender jar.
With out including any water, grind or mix to a easy paste.
Preserve this floor paste apart.
Making aloo matar
Warmth oil in a pot or strain cooker. Preserve the warmth to a low. First crackle the cumin seeds.
Then add the bottom onion-tomato paste. Watch out because the paste splutters whenever you add it to the oil.
Stir after which add the malai (which is a thick layer of cream that’s shaped on the highest of complete milk when it’s boiled and later cooled). Swap it with almond powder or cashew powder or heavy cream. You’ll be able to select to skip cream altogether.
Saute the bottom paste until the oil releases from the edges. The masala paste can even thicken, develop into shiny and can come collectively.
The combination splutters initially. So do cowl partly with a lid. As soon as the combination stops spluttering, then take away the lid and saute.
As soon as the paste has been sauteed nicely then add the asafoetida powder, crimson chilli powder and turmeric powder.
Stir after which add the peas and potatoes. Saute for a minute. Add water and salt as required.
Stir nicely and canopy the pot. Simmer until the potatoes and peas are cooked tender for about 20 to half-hour. You’ll be able to alter the consistency of the curry by including much less or extra water.
If utilizing a stove-top strain cooker add 1 cup water and strain prepare dinner for 7 to eight minutes on medium-heat till the potatoes & peas are cooked utterly.
If making within the Prompt Pot first fry the spices and sauté the onion-tomato paste. Then strain prepare dinner for five minutes on excessive after you add the peas, potatoes, salt and water.
Lastly sprinkle garam masala powder and stir.
Then add chopped coriander leaves.
Stir nicely and serve aloo matar sizzling with poori, chapati, naan, paratha or steamed rice.
- To make the almond or cashew powder, merely grind about 8 to 10 almonds or cashews in a small dry grinder or espresso grinder.
- Make certain to make use of tomatoes which might be ripe, crimson with a candy style. Don’t use overly tangy tomatoes as this could make the gravy extremely bitter to style. If this occurs then stability the bitter style by including a little bit of sugar and 1 to 2 tablespoons heavy cream.
- Although I choose to make use of recent peas within the recipe, be at liberty to make use of frozen inexperienced peas.
- You may also use child potatoes or new potatoes to make this curry.
- To make it extra wholesome and hearty you may decide so as to add greens like cauliflower, carrots, french beans, candy corn and capsicum (bell pepper).
- For an added increase of protein think about including some pan-fried tofu or paneer (Indian cottage cheese) as soon as the gravy is cooked.
- The recipe could be scaled to make a small batch or a giant batch.
Aloo Matar | Aloo Mutter (Potato Peas Curry)
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 166 Energy from Fats 108
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 2g13%
Ldl cholesterol 7mg2%
Vitamin A 974IU19%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 28mg34%
Vitamin E 4mg27%
Vitamin Ok 18µg17%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 44µg11%
* P.c Day by day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie food regimen.
This Aloo Matar recipe submit from the weblog archives first printed in December 2013 has been up to date and republished on October 2022.