Similar to for ladoo, halwa and kheer, Indians have a sure affinity and love in direction of one other very talked-about candy known as Barfi, additionally spelled as Burfi. A lot, that we actually have a mainstream film named after it! Whereas there isn’t a dearth of kinds of barfis right here, this Barfi Recipe on my weblog is that of a fast Khoya Barfi (additionally known as Mawa Barfi). It’s an easy-peasy and fast one made with khoya/mawa (evaporated milk solids), sugar and a few flavorings. Will get executed inside 20 minutes, proper from the preparation to the cooking.
A Hindi (which is initially thought of as Persian) phrase ‘barf,’ is the place the phrase Barfi roots from. Whereas barf might actually seek advice from ‘snow,’ the simplest and conventional Barfi Recipe may even have such substances which provides it a snow-like look. Therefore, the identify. Although, it is stuffed with flavors and is good, in contrast to snow which is simply tasteless.
The bottom substances of a no-added taste or shade Barfi are milk/milk powder/khoya and sugar, that are cooked collectively after which set to ultimately get this explicit mithai (candy). It might be lower into numerous shapes like rectangle, sq., diamond, and many others. earlier than serving or promoting.
Nevertheless, the world of this candy has many variations like this Khoya Barfi. Different varieties embrace those made or flavored with coconut, besan (gram flour), kesar (saffron), badam (almond), pistachios, cashews, walnuts, and many others. Some modern-day fancy flavored ones additionally embrace chocolate, mango, rose, and many others.
Generally burfis might also be coated with a skinny layer of silver varq or edible silver leaf. That is normally for adornment functions, when serving in particular events like weddings, events or Diwali and different competition celebrations. Along with this Khoya Burfi, one among my different favorites is that this Kaju Barfi.
About Khoya Barfi
Often, I make a couple of sweets throughout Diwali, and this Barfi Recipe is sort of a patent one each time. Generally, I do gas my inventive aspect and check out new, in depth recipes.
However principally, I select sweets which might be simple to arrange and are usually not elaborate or that require plenty of time or efforts.
It is because there’s a lot that must be executed earlier than Diwali, because it is among the most celebrated and auspicious festivals for us Hindus.
This recipe of Barfi that I’ve shared on this weblog put up is a primary means of constructing this candy. Principally, burfis are gentle, milk-based fudges.
And normally, these are made with khoya/mawa and even condensed milk as effectively. Right here too, you simply need to cook dinner the khoya with sugar and also you’re executed. Therefore, it’s positively a fast Khoya Barfi.
There’s one other technique wherein sugar syrup is ready individually after which added. However many of the occasions, I select this less complicated means of including sugar moderately than making its syrup after which utilizing it for the Barfi Recipe.
In case you are questioning what’s Khoya? Also referred to as Mawa, it’s evaporated and dried milk solids. They don’t resemble milk powder however are grainy or clean or strong mass of evaporated milk.
Khoya is barely made with milk which is simmered in a big kadai (wok) for hours. Because the milk simmers, it thickens, reduces and varieties khoya. You may make Khoya at residence but it surely takes plenty of time. If , you possibly can verify this recipe of do-it-yourself Khoya made within the conventional means.
Since I’ve made barfis each with condensed milk and khoya, I can say that there are variations within the last texture of each. The Khoya Burfi has a slight granular texture whereas the Barfi with condensed milk has a clean texture. Within the division of style, each are equally good. Actually, scrumptious.
This primary Barfi Recipe may be tailored to make completely different sorts of Barfi with numerous flavors like:
- Including cocoa powder provides you with a chocolate burfi.
- Including edible rose water or floor rose paste provides you with a rose burfi.
- Including plenty of dry fruits provides you with a Dry Fruit Burfi.
So, with only one base recipe, myriad flavored burfis may be achieved.
Methods to make Khoya Burfi
1. First, grate or finely crumble 250 grams unsweetened khoya.
2. In a small bowl, soak 12 to fifteen saffron strands in 1 to 1.5 teaspoons milk. That is an non-compulsory step.
3. Line a tray or thali with a butter paper or parchment paper and grease it with some ghee.
Make Khoya Burfi
4. Add the grated khoya in a thick bottomed pan or kadai.
5. Start to cook dinner on low warmth for two to three minutes. Stir typically.
6. Change off the warmth. Add 5 tablespoons sugar or as required.
7. Stir and blend effectively after which activate the stovetop warmth. The sugar will begin melting.
8. The consistency of the combination would turn into barely skinny. That is because of the melting of the sugar. Stir typically and proceed to cook dinner on low warmth.
9. When the combination turns into barely thick and begins leaving the edges of the pan, as proven within the image under, its time for the following step. Keep away from cooking an excessive amount of as then the burfi could have a chewy texture.
The time taken to get this texture proper from the second sugar is added, is about 8 to 9 minutes on low warmth. This time will range a few minutes right here and there, relying on the scale, sort, high quality of the pan and depth of the warmth.
10. Add finely chopped nuts (almonds, pistachios) or your selection of nuts or dry fruits. Additionally, add ⅓ teaspoon of inexperienced cardamom powder.
You possibly can omit including the nuts when you choose. Along with the cardamom powder, you possibly can decide so as to add 2 to three teaspoons of edible rose water at this step.
11. Stir to combine. Change off the warmth.
12. Pour the burfi combination within the ready tray.
Set Khoya Burfi
13. Unfold the burfi combination evenly, holding 1 inch thickness on the edges.
14. Add the saffron milk on the burfi combination. That is additionally an non-compulsory step.
15. As soon as the Khoya Burfi cools and units, slice into squares or diamond shapes.
16. Serve Khoya Burfi instantly. You may as well retailer it in an air-tight field and refrigerate. This Barfi stays good for about 4 to five days within the fridge.
- As talked about earlier, you possibly can put together completely different flavored burfis with this primary recipe. Add cocoa powder, dry fruits, rose water, extra of saffron, and many others. and put together the one you want.
- Whereas cooking the combination of the burfi, keep away from cooking it an excessive amount of as this could result in the ultimate product turning into chewy. Relying on the kind, measurement, high quality of the pan and depth of the flame, this time to cook dinner the combination will range.
- Bear in mind to make use of recent khoya or mawa. It ought to have a slight candy style however not bitter or bitter. If it tastes bitter or bitter, this implies the khoya is rancid.
- Whereas cooking, all the time cook dinner on a low warmth, use an excellent sturdy heavy pan and stir typically. This stuff be certain that the barfi combination is cooked evenly and doesn’t get browned, caramelized or burnt.
- On this Barfi recipe as effectively, including saffron and milk are non-compulsory. You possibly can skip these. As an alternative you possibly can 2 to three teaspoons of edible rose water.
- Be happy so as to add your selection of dry fruits or nuts whereas making the Khoye ki Barfi.
Please you’ll want to fee the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark under in case you have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Barfi Recipe | Khoya Barfi
This simple, scrumptious Indian candy is a fast Barfi Recipe. This Mawa Barfi is made with khoya/mawa (evaporated milk solids), sugar, nuts and a few flavorings. It comes collectively in 20 minutes, proper from the preparation to the cooking.
Prep Time 6 minutes
Cook dinner Time 14 minutes
Complete Time 20 minutes
Forestall your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
First grate or finely crumble the unsweetened khoya or mawa.
In a small bowl dissolve the saffron strands in 1 to 1.5 teaspoons of milk. That is an non-compulsory step.
Grease a little bit of ghee, on a butter paper or parchment lined on a tray or small baking pan.
Making barfi recipe
Add the grated khoya in a thick bottomed pan.
Start to cook dinner on a low warmth for two to three minutes stirring typically.
Change off the warmth and add sugar.
Stir to combine. Then activate the stovetop warmth. The entire combination’s consistency will turn into clean and barely skinny, because of the sugar getting melted.
Stir typically and proceed to cook dinner on a low warmth.
When the combination turns into barely thick and begins leaving the edges of the pan, its time for the following step.
Add chopped almonds, pistachios or your selection of nuts. Additionally add inexperienced cardamom powder.
Stir to combine and switch off the warmth.
- Understand that the time taken to get this consistency proper from the time, sugar is added is about 8 to 9 minutes on a low warmth. Keep away from cooking an excessive amount of as then the barfi could have a chewy texture.
Additionally make an observation that this time will range a few minutes right here and there, relying on the scale, sort, high quality of the pan and depth of the warmth.
Pour the whole barfi combination within the greased pan or butter paper.
Unfold evenly holding 1 inch thickness on the edges.
Sprinkle the saffron scented milk on the burfi.
As soon as the burfi cools, slice into squares or diamond form.
Serve Mawa Barfi instantly. You may as well retailer them in an hermetic field. These Khoye ki Barfi keep good for about 4 to five days within the fridge.
- Guarantee to make use of recent and candy tasting mawa or khoya. It mustn’t have a bitter or bitter style. The aroma must be milky and never foul smelling.
- Add your most well-liked nuts or select to omit including them. You possibly can skip including saffron.
- As an alternative of saffron, you can too 2 to three teaspoon of edible rose water to the khoya burfi combination.
- Bear in mind to all the time cook dinner the barfi combination on a low warmth, use a sturdy, heavy pan and stir continuously. These practices be certain that the khoya combination is cooked evenly and doesn’t get browned, caramelized or burnt.
- Recipe may be scaled to extend the portions.
Barfi Recipe | Khoya Barfi
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 100 Energy from Fats 45
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 3g19%
Trans Fats 0.02g
Polyunsaturated Fats 0.4g
Monounsaturated Fats 2g
Ldl cholesterol 4mg1%
Vitamin A 89IU2%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.01mg1%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.02mg1%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 0.1mg1%
Vitamin B6 0.02mg1%
Vitamin B12 0.002µg0%
Vitamin C 1mg1%
Vitamin D 0.004µg0%
Vitamin E 0.2mg1%
Vitamin Ok 0.1µg0%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 2µg1%
* P.c Day by day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie food plan.
This Barfi Recipe from the archives first printed in October 2014 has been up to date and republished on January 2023.