Bharli bhendi recipe with step-by-step pics – Bhendi or tender okras full of a typical Maharashtrian type spiced coconut-peanut combination. That is a type of Bhindi Recipes, which does take a while to organize, but is tasty. It’s vegan too.
It is a dry bhindi recipe from the Maharashtrian delicacies and one which my good friend shared with me. In Marathi the phrase ‘bharli’ means ‘stuffed’ and ‘bhendi’ is ‘okra’. therefore the title Bharli bhendi.
It is a easy bhindi recipe to make. Cooking the okra doesn’t take a lot time. Its the preparation and stuffing that takes a while. However pretty simple to make.
The recipe makes use of goda masala. However in case you would not have goda masala, then simply skip it and add garam masala powder as a substitute. Quantity of garam masala is talked about within the recipe field beneath.
The stuffing is made with coarsely floor roasted peanuts and contemporary coconut together with spices. You should use desiccated coconut as a substitute of contemporary coconut too.
Garlic and contemporary coriander leaves used on this recipe give a extremely good style and taste to the stuffing. In the event you like stuffed bhindi, then you too can take a look at this Bharwa bhindi recipe.
Bharli bhendi goes very nicely as a aspect dish with chapatis, parathas and even bread. It’s also possible to serve together with dal-rice, curd rice, varan bhaat.
Learn how to make Bharli Bhendi
1. Warmth a pan and add ¼ cup peanuts.
2. On a low warmth, roast the peanuts until they’re crunchy and golden. Hold apart and permit them to chill.
3. Rinse 20 to 22 medium sized okra (bhindi) in working water for a few occasions. Then dry them with a clear kitchen towel or dry them naturally by spreading them in a plate.
Ensure that there aren’t any droplets of water on them. The okra pods ought to be totally dried or else they’ll change into slimy when cooking.
4. Slice off the crown and base tip of the okra. With a knife give a slit on one aspect holding about 0.5 to 1 cm area on the high and base. The entire okra ought to be intact. Make slits on all of the okra and maintain apart.
5. In a grinder jar, add the roasted peanuts together with 1 inexperienced chili (chopped), 2 to three garlic (chopped) and ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves.
6. With out including water coarsely grind and maintain this combination apart.
7. In a plate or mixing bowl, take the above floor combination together with following components:
- ¼ cup tightly packed grated coconut
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 teaspoon goda masala (Or ½ tsp garam masala powder)
- ½ teaspoon lime or lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon sugar or jaggery
- salt as per style.
8. Combine the stuffing combination very nicely with a spoon or together with your fingers. Verify the style and add extra of salt, sugar, lemon juice or spice powders if required.
9. Now stuff this combination inside every okra. Stuff very nicely.
10. Stuff the masala in every okra and maintain apart. There shall be some leftover masala which we’ll use later.
Making bharli bhendi
11. In a frying pan warmth 3 tablespoons of oil and crackle ½ teaspoon mustard seeds first. Use a shallow frying pan and never a deep one.
12. Decrease the warmth. Then add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder and a pinch of asafoetida (hing).
13. Stir very nicely after which add the stuffed okra.
14. Stir the okra nicely.
15. Now cowl the pan tightly with a lid and cook dinner the okra on a low warmth. If you need you may sprinkle some water (1 to 2 tablespoon) at this step earlier than overlaying the pan.
16. Do verify in between and if the combination appears dry or getting too browned, then sprinkle some water (about 1 to 2 tablespoon). Sprinkle throughout and stir. Cowl and proceed to cook dinner.
17. When the okra is half executed, add the leftover stuffing masala.
18. Stir. Sprinkle some water if required. Cowl and cook dinner.
19. It takes about 15 to 18 minutes for the bhindi to cook dinner on a low warmth. It is a dry bhindi sabzi when cooked. So there ought to be no water within the okra.
20. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and Serve bharli bhendi sizzling with chapatis, phulka or paratha or a aspect dish with dal-rice or amti dal or varan.
If you’re on the lookout for extra Bhindi recipes then do verify:
Please make sure to fee the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark beneath you probably have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Bharli bhendi is a scrumptious recipe of stuffed okra with a spiced coconut-peanut filling.
Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook dinner Time 15 minutes
Complete Time 40 minutes
stuffing masala (to be floor coarsely)
different components to be added within the stuffing masala
Stop your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Warmth a pan and add 1/4 cup peanuts.
On a low flame, roast the peanuts until they’re crunchy and golden. Hold apart and permit them to chill.
Rinse 20 to 22 medium sized bhendi (okra or bhindi) in working water for a few occasions.
Then dry them with a clear kitchen towel or dry them naturally by spreading them in a plate.
Slice off the crown and base tip of the bhendi. With a knife give a slit on one aspect. Make slits on all of the okra and maintain apart.
getting ready stuffing for bharli bhendi
In a grinder jar, add the roasted peanuts together with 1 inexperienced chili, 2 to three garlic, and 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves.
With out including water coarsely grind and maintain this combination apart.
In a plate or mixing bowl, take the bottom combination together with 1/4 cup tightly packed grated coconut, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1/2 tsp coriander powder, 2 tsp goda masala or 1/2 tsp garam masala powder, 1/2 tsp lime or lemon juice and 1/2 tsp sugar or salt as per style.
Combine the stuffing combination very nicely.
Now stuff this combination in every bhindi very nicely.
sauteing and making bharli bhendi
Warmth 3 tbsp oil and crackle 1/2 tsp mustard seeds first. Use a shallow frying pan.
Decrease the flame after which add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and a pinch of asafoetida.
Stir very nicely after which add the stuffed okra. Stir the okra nicely.
Now cowl the pan tightly with a lid and cook dinner the okra.
Do verify in between and if the combination appears dry or getting too browned, then sprinkle some water (about 1 to 2 tbsp water). Stir, cowl and proceed to cook dinner.
When the okra is half executed, add the remaining floor stuffing masala.
Stir. Sprinkle some water if required. Cowl and cook dinner.
It takes about 15 to 18 minutes for the okra to cook dinner on a low flame. It is a dry okra curry when cooked. So there ought to be no water within the okra.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve bharli bhendi with chapatis or a aspect dish with dal-rice or varan-bhat.
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 281 Energy from Fats 225
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 5g31%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 18g
Vitamin A 1443IU29%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 28mg34%
Vitamin E 9mg60%
Vitamin Ok 66µg63%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 71µg18%
* P.c Each day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight loss program.
This Bharli Bhendi put up from the weblog archives first printed in June 2015 has been republished and up to date on 23 August 2021.