The delicacies of Karnataka has a wealthy heritage and is as versatile as every other delicacies from a special half in South India and even every other area of India. One of many iconic dishes from this meals tradition is the Bisi Bele Bath, often known as Bisi Bele Huliyanna. It’s a healthful, one-pot spicy rice-lentil primarily based dish with veggies and a particular spice combine. This put up is about that distinctive masala mix known as the Bisi Bele Bathtub Powder with out which the dish is incomplete. Observe the recipe to maintain a batch prepared at your properties.
About This Bisi Bele Bathtub Powder
As talked about above Bisi Bele Bathtub Powder is the basic and distinctive spice mix used to make the normal and well-liked Bisi Bele Bathtub recipe (a spiced rice and lentil dish) – that is without doubt one of the gems from the Karnataka delicacies.
I’ve tailored this Bisi Bele Bathtub Powder recipe from Pratibha’s Blog (additionally has different basic recipes from Karnataka delicacies) and a cookbook from my private assortment. I diminished the proportions and did make a couple of modifications although.
Like most do-it-yourself spice blends, right here too the spices and lentils are roasted, cooled after which floor to a positive powder.
Because the spices and lentils are floor finely, it’s essential use a excessive velocity mixer-grinder or blender. You’ll be able to even use a spice grinder of coffee-grinder.
Bisi Bele Bathtub Masala has a special composition of spices and lentils that actually makes it distinctive and so good. This recipe offers you among the best blends which you can make.
As soon as your powder is floor, retailer it in an air-tight jar or container and retailer in a cool dry place. You could possibly additionally retailer within the fridge.
This recipe will yield 150 grams of the Bisi Bele Bathtub Powder which stays good for a few months within the fridge.
Components You Want
Whereas the entire spices we frequently use in Indian delicacies, are part of this particular masala. There are some lesser recognized substances which are additionally added which makes this mix distinctive.
To make a standard Bisi Bele Bathtub Powder, a specific spice known as the Marathi moggu is used. These are the buds of the kapok tree and therefore, known as kapok buds too in English. These are bigger than cloves and have a musky aroma.
This one particular spice provides the Bisi Bele Bathtub Powder combine its distinct taste. You’ll be able to simply get the Marathi Moggu in Bengaluru and different South Indian cities.
However in different components of India, it’s fairly tough to supply this spice. So, the most suitable choice is to order on-line. When you stay outdoors India, you may order from Amazon.
Since this particular recipe doesn’t use asafoetida (hing), I normally add it to the primary dish. Nonetheless, you may add asafoetida whereas getting ready this masala powder itself.
Dry Pink Chillies
Subsequent comes the dried pink chilies that contribute within the warmth stage and in addition the colour of the Bisi Bele Bathtub Powder.
2 kinds of dried pink chilies are used on this masala – the much less spicy Byadagi or Bedgi selection which supplies it the deep pink hue and the Guntur Chilli which supplies it the specified spiciness.
Total, this spice powder is spicy and sizzling. When you can not tolerate excessive warmth and need to scale back the spiciness, you may scale back the variety of Guntur pink chilies within the recipe of Bisi Bele Bathtub Powder.
How you can make Bisi Bele Bathtub Powder
Earlier than you start roasting the spices, acquire them, measure and put aside. This can make the roasting work a breeze and straightforward.
Additionally guarantee to make use of spices which are recent and of their shelf-life. Chorus from utilizing moldy, rancid and off spices.
Tricks to keep in mind earlier than you roast
- First use a heavy frying pan or skillet. This ensures that you just don’t burn these delicate spices and seeds.
- Secondly at all times roast or toast them on a low warmth. This makes them cook dinner slowly releasing the aromatic oils fantastically and once more you keep away from the chance of burning them.
- Thirdly, stir typically so the spices roast evenly. Extra so once you roast tiny seeds like poppy seeds or an ingredient like desiccated coconut. If you don’t stir typically, a couple of parts of those can get an excessive amount of browned or can get burnt.
1. Warmth a frying pan or a small kadai and first dry roast ½ cup coriander seeds, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds and ½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds till crisp and aromatic.
Roast on low warmth, stirring typically and be sure to don’t burn the spices. Take away and preserve apart.
2. In the identical pan, dry roast the next spices:
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 3 to 4 cloves
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
- 3 inexperienced cardamoms
- 1 small mace
- 4 Marathi moggu until aromatic
Take away and put aside.
3. Now, add ¼ cup chana dal and 1 tablespoon urad dal. These take longer to roast than the spices.
You can too roast the urad dal and chana dal individually.
4. On a low warmth roast the lentils until aromatic and browned. Take away roasted lentils and put aside.
5. Now, dry roast 10 to 12 dried Byadagi pink chilies and 5 to 7 Guntur pink chilies until crisp. Take away and preserve apart.
You’ll be able to take away the seeds from these chillies (sporting kitchen gloves) whereas prepping the spices or take away the seeds after roasting and as soon as they calm down.
6. Subsequent, dry roast 12 to 14 curry leaves until crisp. Take away and put aside.
7. Now, roast 2 teaspoons poppy seeds until mild golden. Take away and preserve apart.
8. Lastly, roast 4 tablespoons unsweetened desiccated coconut until golden. Take away and preserve apart. Stir typically to get a good golden coloration within the coconut.
9. Now let the roasted spices cool utterly at room temperature. Break the pink chillies in small items. Deseed them, when you have not achieved that earlier.
With a spoon, combine all of the spices very properly. Add the substances in batches in a dry grinder or espresso grinder.
10. Grind to a positive powder. Take away from the jar, and retailer the Bisi Bele Bathtub Powder in an air-tight jar or container.
11. Use the Bisi Bele Bathtub Powder as required. Maintain the jar within the fridge.
I keep in mind having this well-known dish for the primary time in Bangalore (current day Bengaluru) at one of many MTR eating places, on the advice of my husband. It’s considered one of his favourite rice-lentil dishes, which he would typically have throughout his engineering days within the ‘metropolis of gardens.’
Because the Bisi Bele Bathtub Powder is an integral ingredient within the dish, it’s a should to have it useful at dwelling everytime you plan to make this rice dish. And what higher manner to make use of a do-it-yourself model somewhat than utilizing a store-bought one. As a number of my readers had additionally requested for the recipe of the spice mix, I needed to share this DIY model.
Additionally, as a result of once you use a Bisi Bele Bathtub Powder made at dwelling in your major dish, the authenticity is undamaged and what outcomes is a fantastically flavored and hearty huliyanna. This isn’t actually the case, even when you use the most effective readymade model of this typical masala.
I even make different South Indian blends like Sambar Powder and Rasam Powder at dwelling. I additionally desire making my very own particular person spice powders like cumin powder and Coriander Powder.
As stated earlier, these are a lot better than those introduced from the market. Although, it takes effort to make genuine masala powders at dwelling however it’s price on a regular basis and energy.
- To make this masala powder much less spicy, scale back the amount of the Guntur pink chillies or choose to make use of chillies which are reasonably spicy.
- Make sure that your spices are recent, aromatic and of the very best quality. Don’t use stale or rancid spices. Additionally when you see some mould or bugs or worms in any of the spices, then discard them. Ideally use natural spices.
- When you don’t get Marathi moggu or kapok buds in your native market, order on-line. Don’t skip on this specific spice as when you do, you’ll miss on the genuine and conventional bisi bele bathtub masala.
- Whereas dry roasting the spices, just remember to roast them on low warmth and never burn the spices. Stir typically in order that they spices get roasted evenly.
- The lentils will take an extended time to roast as in comparison with the spices. So, have persistence. You can too roast the lentils individually.
- Earlier than grinding, you may break the chilies into smaller items and deseed them too, if wanted. Or else take away the seeds after roasting the chillies and as soon as they cool. If in case you have delicate pores and skin put on gloves whereas deseeding them. The seeds are highly regarded, pungent and may trigger irritation or rashes.
Please make sure you charge the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark under when you have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Bisi Bele Bathtub Powder
Bisi Bele Bathtub Powder is a particular and distinctive spice mix that’s added to the preparation of the basic lentil and rice dish from the Karnataka delicacies known as Bisi Bele Bathtub. This do-it-yourself Bisi Bele Bathtub Masala is the most effective which you can make.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Complete Time 30 minutes
Stop your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
- Warmth a frying pan or a small kadai and first dry roast the coriander, cumin and fenugreek till they’re crisp and aromatic. Roast on a low warmth and be sure to do not burn the spices. Take away and preserve apart in a plate or tray.
- In the identical pan, now dry roast the cinnamon, cloves, black pepper, cardamom, mace and marathi moggu until grow to be fragrant. Take away and preserve apart in the identical plate and tray.
Now add chana dal and urad dal. These take an extended to roast than the spices.
Roast them stirring typically until you get a pleasant lentil aroma and the lentils have grow to be browned. Maintain apart.
Now dry roast the dry pink chilies until they grow to be crisp.
Dry roast the curry leaves until they crisp.
Now roast the poppy seeds until they grow to be mild golden.
Roast the desiccated coconut stirring typically until the flakes grow to be golden.
Flip off warmth and dry roast the asafoetida when you plan so as to add it within the masala powder.
Now let the roasted spices cool. Combine all of the spices very properly. Break the pink chilies in small items. Deseed them when you desire.
Add the substances in batches in a dry grinder or espresso grinder.
Grind to a positive powder. Take away from the jar and retailer the masala powder in an air-tight jar or container. Maintain the jar within the fridge.
Use the Bise Bele Bathtub Powder as wanted.
- If you’d like a much less spicy masala powder scale back the amount of the Guntur pink chillies or choose to make use of chillies which are reasonably spicy.
- Be sure that to make use of spices and different substances which are recent, aromatic, of the very best quality and inside their shelf interval.
- Don’t use stale or rancid spices. When you see some mould or bugs or worms in any of the spices, then discard them. Ideally attempt to use natural spices.
- Marathi Moggu is a necessary spice if you need the normal and genuine Bisi Bele Bathtub Masala Powder. When you don’t get Marathi moggu or kapok buds in your native market, order on-line.
- Whereas dry roasting the spices, be sure that you roast them on low warmth and never burn the spices. Stir typically in order that the spices get roasted evenly. Additionally be sure that to make use of a heavy pan or skillet.
- Poppy seeds might be skipped in case you are not in a position to supply it.
- Simply scale the recipe to make for much less or extra portions of the masala.
- The approximate vitamin data is for the whole batch of Bisi Bele Bathtub powder created from this recipe.
Bisi Bele Bathtub Powder
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 561 Energy from Fats 234
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 13g81%
Polyunsaturated Fats 3g
Monounsaturated Fats 7g
Vitamin A 2494IU50%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.2mg13%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.3mg18%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 140mg700%
Vitamin B6 0.2mg10%
Vitamin C 254mg308%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Ok 14µg13%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 1423µg356%
* % Every day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie eating regimen.
This Bisi Bele Bathtub Powder recipe from the archives first printed in April 2014 has been up to date and republished on January 2023.