It’s a typical false impression that something bitter is not going to be liked by the palate, ever! However relating to Bitter Gourd or Bitter Melon (Karela in Hindi), it’s completely a unique ball recreation. Identical to this superior Bitter Gourd Pickle which may actually blow your thoughts. You must also do this Karela Pickle as a result of it’s made in a really completely different manner as in comparison with the common Indian pickles.
About Bitter Gourd Pickle
In the event you like bitter gourd/bitter melon/bitter apple, you’ll love this pickle. I’d prefer to suppose that even if you happen to don’t, this Karela Pickle will enable you change that outlook in direction of this actually marvelous vegetable. Additionally, attempt these yum Bitter Gourd Curry and Stuffed Bitter Gourd recipes.
I tailored this Bitter Gourd Pickle recipe from a Hindi cookbook which solely options pickle recipes. This e-book got here as a complimentary present a few years in the past, with the bottle of Dhara Mustard Oil that I bought from the market.
Although the unique recipe referred to as for using sesame oil and vinegar. I substituted each these with mustard oil and apple cider vinegar. You possibly can additional use sunflower oil instead of the mustard oil.
You could additionally consider to prep the bitter gourd effectively earlier than utilizing it for pickling. Wash, slice and take away the seeds.
Chop, sprinkle salt on high, combine effectively and hold it for about half-hour. Then, squeeze the salted bitter melon slices, discard the juices and rinse as soon as once more. Drain effectively and use.
My mother and father love this Karela Pickle, and so do I. So, each time they go to us, I at all times give them some jars full of this distinctive pickle.
Why this recipe works
This Karela Pickle additionally makes use of different easy and fundamental components like fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, inexperienced chilies and garlic, that are quite common in virtually any and each Indian kitchen. You possibly can prepare dinner this pickle on the range high after which retailer it in a bottle.
Initially, the bitter style of the karela is kind of dominant within the pickle. However when this Bitter Gourd Pickle is saved for some days, this outstanding bitterness mellows and lessens because the bitter notes of the vinegar take over.
And don’t suppose a lot about consuming this Karela Pickle and what to pair it with. It goes amazingly effectively with any common Indian rice meals – rasam-rice, curd rice, sambar-rice, dal-rice, kadhi-rice, and so on. And in any other case too.
Tips on how to make Bitter Gourd Pickle
1. Firstly, rinse 250 grams bitter gourd effectively. If there are bruises on the pores and skin, then you may barely peel off that half.
Slice the bitter gourd into two halves vertically, and take away the seeds. Chop the bitter gourd in small chunk measurement items.
Sprinkle salt on the chopped bitter gourd and blend effectively. Hold this bitter gourd-salt combination apart for half-hour.
After half-hour, squeeze the salted bitter gourd and discard the juices. Rinse as soon as once more with water. Drain effectively and hold apart.
2. Warmth ¼ cup or 4 tablespoons mustard oil until it begins to smoke on medium-low to medium warmth. Add 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds and 1 teaspoon mustard seeds.
3. As soon as the seeds crackle, add 8 to 9 thinly sliced garlic cloves and fry for 10 to 12 seconds.
4. Then, add 5 to six slit inexperienced chilies and fry for 30 seconds.
5. Add the bitter gourd items to the pan.
6. Stir and sauté the bitter gourd for 7 to eight minutes on low to medium warmth. Then, add 150 ml apple cider vinegar or white vinegar and salt as required.
7. Deliver the pickle combination to a boil. This may take about 3 to 4 minutes. Add ½ teaspoon purple chili powder. Combine and swap off the warmth.
8. Place the pan apart and let this pickle combination cool. Cowl the pan with a cotton serviette as an alternative of lid as we don’t need condensation droplets on the lid.
The pickle can have some vinegar and won’t be dry. After storing, the Bitter Gourd Pickle will mature in just a few weeks. However you may have it right away as soon as cooled.
It’s also possible to permit it to mature for two to three days. On this case, you may refrigerate the pickle.
9. As soon as cooled, switch the Karela Pickle in a clear sterilized jar with a clear non reactive spoon.
Shut the jar air-tight and hold it within the fridge. Serve the Bitter Melon Pickle each time required. It stays good for 3 months in refrigeration.
Karela – A bittersweet emotion
Karela is a bitter veggie, however extremely used within the culinary subject the world over. It additionally has immense medicinal makes use of. For example, many African and Asian natural drugs methods have been utilizing it since a very long time.
Illnesses like abdomen points are believed to have been handled with bitter gourd in Turkish folks cures. In India, it’s identified to be actually good for the remedy of diabetes, respiratory and pores and skin illnesses, rheumatism, ulcers, gout, and so on.
Culinarily, these are among the fashionable makes use of of the not so fashionable bitter gourd:
- Chinese language delicacies makes use of bitter gourd in stir-fries, dim sums, natural teas and soups. Some Chinese language beers additionally use this veggie as a bittering agent in beers. This vegetable can be used extensively in Japanese, Vietnamese, Indonesian, Thai, Filipino and Mauritian cuisines.
- In India, you may have karela within the fried type, made into curries, sabzis or filled with spices. Many dishes in South Indian delicacies like ‘thoran,’ ‘theeyal,’ ‘pachadi,’ and so on. have bitter gourd in them.
- It is usually popularly utilized in Maharashtrian and Goan cuisines, the place bitter gourd is called ‘karle’.
- ‘Tetor dal’ and ‘shukto’ are among the preparations in Bengali delicacies during which using bitter gourd is completely important.
- ‘Tite karele’ or bitter melon, as identified in Nepal is consumed within the type of a pickle. This Bitter Gourd Pickle is one other manner you may take pleasure in it.
- Burmese delicacies has bitter gourd sautéed with shrimps and different components is served as an accompaniment to major dishes. It is a fashionable road meals in Burma.
- Sri Lankan delicacies has the ‘karawila sambol,’ ‘karawila curry’ and ‘karawila juice’ as well-known bitter gourd preparations.
Please make sure to fee the recipe within the recipe card or depart a remark beneath when you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Bitter Gourd Pickle | Bitter Melon Pickle (Karela Pickle)
This Bitter Gourd Pickle recipe often known as Karela Pickle is straightforward and fast to make. It’s made with tender Bitter Melon slices cooked and pickled in a mixture of mustard oil, spices and vinegar.
Prep Time 40 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 15 minutes
Whole Time 55 minutes
Stop your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Firstly, rinse the bitter gourd effectively. If there are bruises on the pores and skin, then you may barely peel off that half. No have to peel all the bitter gourd.
Slice the bitter gourd vertically and take away the seeds. Chop the bitter gourd into small items.
Sprinkle some salt on the chopped bitter gourd and blend effectively. Hold this bitter gourd-salt combination apart for half-hour.
After half-hour, squeeze the salted bitter gourd and discard the juices. Rinse as soon as once more in contemporary water. Drain all of the water and set the bitter gourd slices apart.
On medium-low to medium flame, in a pan, warmth mustard oil until it begins smoking. Add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and fry until the seeds crackle.
Add sliced garlic and fry for 10 to 12 seconds. Then, add inexperienced chilies and fry for 30 seconds.
Subsequent, add chopped bitter gourd and sauté for 7 to eight minutes on low to medium-heat.
Add white vinegar and salt. Stir and convey the pickle combination to a boil. It will take about 3 to 4 minutes.
Add purple chili powder. Stir once more and swap off the warmth. Set the pan apart and let the combination cool.
Cowl the pan with a cotton serviette as an alternative of lid as we do not need condensation droplets on the lid.
When utterly cooled, pour the Bitter Gourd Pickle in a clear sterilized jar.
Shut the jar with its lid and hold it within the fridge.
Serve Karela Pickle with an Indian meal like dal-rice, sambar-rice, curd rice or kadhi-rice.
- Use tender and inexperienced bitter melons. Don’t use bitter gourd which have ripened. Ripe bitter melons can have a yellow outer and an orange or purple colour from inside.
- Notice that the approximate vitamin information is for all the bitter gourd pickle created from this recipe.
Bitter Gourd Pickle | Bitter Melon Pickle (Karela Pickle)
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 688 Energy from Fats 513
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 7g44%
Polyunsaturated Fats 12g
Monounsaturated Fats 33g
Vitamin A 1479IU30%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.2mg13%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.2mg12%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 2mg10%
Vitamin B6 0.5mg25%
Vitamin C 245mg297%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Ok 2µg2%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 188µg47%
* P.c Each day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie food plan.
This Bitter Gourd Pickle recipe submit from the weblog archives first printed in January 2014 has been republished and up to date on December 2022.