Tangy, crunchy, and simple to pair with myriad dishes, Cabbage Coleslaw is the proper summer season facet. Whereas this easy cabbage salad originated within the Netherlands, it has since taken the world by storm – and for good motive! It’s simple to make in lower than 20 minutes, has a brief ingredient checklist, and is gluten-free & vegan. YUM!
About Cabbage Coleslaw
Cabbage Coleslaw is a simple and easy salad made primarily from cabbage. This explicit recipe for the well-known cabbage salad is wearing a easy mayo dressing flavored with lemon juice and sugar, making it equal elements tangy, candy, crunchy, and creamy. In brief, it’s scrumptious!
My recipe for this quintessential summer season salad has many profitable attributes, together with that it’s:
- Fast & simple! Made in simply quarter-hour with simply 6 components, it’s the proper recipe for even probably the most novice dwelling prepare dinner.
- Healthful & nutritious. Made with solely complete meals and loaded with nutritionally-dense cruciferous veg, it is a salad that’s cherished by children and authorised by dad and mom!
- Funds-friendly. Except for a head of cabbage and some pantry staples, you don’t want a lot to make a tasty coleslaw.
- Versatile. This tasty rendition of cabbage coleslaw is equally at dwelling subsequent to BBQ staples (like my Veggie Burger) as it’s loaded into sandwiches or wraps. It can be doctored up to fit your preferences! Learn on beneath to find out how.
Elements & Substitutions
As I discussed earlier, you don’t want a lot to make this creamy cabbage salad. Right here’s what you’ll want to collect:
- Cabbage – Be at liberty to make use of inexperienced or pink cabbage, or a mix of each relying on what you may have readily available.
- Spring Onions – Use each the greens and the whites for one of the best taste and prettiest look. Scallions can even work right here. Tip: Avoid wasting thinly sliced greens for garnish.
- Carrots (optionally available) – I’ve used solely cabbage and spring onions within the coleslaw and didn’t add carrots, however many individuals think about them a vital factor. They do add sweetness and shade, however I feel the coleslaw is scrumptious both manner.
- Mayonnaise – I used a store-bought vegan and egg-free mayonnaise to make the coleslaw, however you may simply use my vegan Mayonnaise you probably have it readily available!
- Lemon Juice – In relation to citrus juice, contemporary is all the time greatest. To get probably the most juice out of your lemons, give them a agency roll on the countertop for 10 to fifteen seconds earlier than slicing.
- Sugar – I used uncooked cane sugar right here, however any sweetener will do together with: white sugar, brown sugar, agave syrup, honey, or maple syrup.
- Salt & Pepper – Season to style!
How To Make Cabbage Coleslaw
This simple cabbage salad recipe will come collectively earlier than you already know it. Right here’s how it’s made:
Step 1: Make dressing. In a mixing bowl, add the mayonnaise. Then add the lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir and blend nicely.
Step 2: Toss salad. Then add the cabbage and spring onions. Combine once more very nicely.
Step 3: Take pleasure in! Serve instantly with the mains of your selecting. You can too refrigerate it for two to three days.
- Use bitter cream or Greek yogurt rather than mayo for a tangier slaw.
- Add chopped cucumber pickles for further tang and crunch.
- Use ketchup as a substitute of mayonnaise for a specific form of American coleslaw that’s standard in North Carolina.
- Use pink wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, rice vinegar, and even white vinegar rather than the lemon juice. Mustard can also be a superbly acceptable possibility.
- Add the herbs of your alternative. Parsley, dill, or celery are standard choices.
When you do that easy cabbage coleslaw recipe, I’ve a sense you’ll discover loads of methods to make use of it. Listed below are a few of my favorites:
- As a facet. I lover serving coleslaw with sandwiches, burgers, or something grilled.
- Loaded into sandwiches. I made a particular Coleslaw Sandwich that’s an absolute delight. We additionally love so as to add coleslaw and french fries to sizzling canine buns then costume them with mustard. Don’t knock it until you attempt it!
- As a base for an entrée salad. Pile on all of your favourite salad goodies, from roasted veggies to grilled tofu, crunchy nuts, shredded cheese, or anything your coronary heart needs.
- As a topper for tacos. Perk your common Mexican Tacos with this slaw. Generally I additionally add to our veggie tacos. It’s scrumptious!
- When you have a meals processor readily available, you may simply shred the cabbage in a matter of seconds! If not, merely use a pointy knife and a bit endurance.
- In case you want a softer slaw, sprinkle the cabbage with salt and use your arms to therapeutic massage it for a couple of minutes, then let it sit for 10 to fifteen minutes earlier than dressing it.
- In case you are differ of the worms in cabbage, blanch half of the cabbage in sizzling salted water for about 5 to 10 minutes. Drain after which shred or slice the cabbage thinly.
- In case you’re serving this salad at an outside occasion, place it in a metallic bowl. Nest the bowl in a barely bigger bowl crammed with ice water. On the spot refrigeration!
Whereas the names are used interchangeably in lots of circumstances, slaw doesn’t essentially must be made with cabbage, whereas coleslaw does. For instance, you could possibly have a broccoli slaw as a substitute of coleslaw!
It truly comes from the unique Dutch identify for this dish, koolsla. Kool is “cabbage” and sla is “salad.”
I usually use both inexperienced or pink heads of cabbage, however be at liberty to make use of savoy or Napa as a substitute. You can too swap in kale should you want.
Please be sure you fee the recipe within the recipe card or depart a remark beneath you probably have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Cabbage Coleslaw | Cabbage Salad
Cabbage Coleslaw recipe is a simple, easy preparation of cabbage with a mayonnaise dressing. It is simple to make in lower than 20 minutes, has a brief ingredient checklist, and is gluten-free and vegan.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Whole Time 15 minutes
Forestall your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
First rinse half of a small to medium-sized cabbage. Take away the outer layer if it has bruises or spots or if it seems to be dry.
Shred the cabbage thinly. Measure and you have to 2 cups of the shredded cabbage.
You can too shred the cabbage in a meals processor.
Subsequent in a mixing bowl, take the mayonnaise first.
Then add the lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper.
Stir and blend nicely to a easy and even dressing.
Then add the cabbage and spring onions. Combine once more very nicely.
Function a facet along with your meals or prime your sandwiches, wraps or burgers with the Cabbage Coleslaw.
You can too refrigerate the coleslaw for 1 to 2 days.
- In case you want, you may improve the amount of the mayonnaise.
- Veggies like bell peppers additionally style good within the coleslaw.
- As a substitute of lemon juice, use white wine vinegar, pink wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- In case you want, you may blanch the cabbage in sizzling salted water. First boil the water. Flip off warmth and add ½ of a cabbage to the new water. Cowl with lid and blanch for about 5 to 10 minutes. Drain the water after which chop the cabbage.
Cabbage Coleslaw | Cabbage Salad
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 64 Energy from Fats 9
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 0.2g1%
Polyunsaturated Fats 0.1g
Monounsaturated Fats 1g
Ldl cholesterol 3mg1%
Vitamin A 3760IU75%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.1mg7%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.1mg6%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 0.4mg2%
Vitamin B6 0.1mg5%
Vitamin C 30mg36%
Vitamin E 0.3mg2%
Vitamin Ok 90µg86%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 43µg11%
* P.c Each day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight loss plan.
This Cabbage Coleslaw recipe from the archives first printed in September 2013 has been up to date and republished on December 2022.