Whereas chickpeas made in a curried method is hottest within the northern a part of India, this one here’s a South Indian fashion Chickpea Curry Recipe. A extremely protein laden dish, this Coconut Chickpea Curry is a spicy and tremendous scrumptious curry preparation made with wholesome white chickpeas, daring spices and aromatic coconut. That is even vegan. Additionally, don’t get intimidated with the lengthy listing of components. In the event you observe the recipe nicely, making this curry shouldn’t be that troublesome.
About Chickpea Curry
In my private assortment of recipes, I’ve fairly a couple of sorts of the Chickpea Curry which I make commonly at dwelling.
My all-time favourite is that this sturdy and flavorsome one, the genuine Punjabi Chana Masala. This recipe has a very good stability of spiciness and tanginess, which boosts the general flavors too. It is rather like the Chickpea Curry you get on the streets of Delhi and Punjab.
Nevertheless, the Coconut Chickpea Curry recipe that I’ve right here on this put up is a South Indian model. So, the true style comes from the coconut and complete spices which are used on this specific variation of the dish.
The distinct style of coconut is kind of dominant on this South Indian variant. Additionally, there’s a refined sweetness on this preparation, and it’s not bitter or tangy.
Principally, on this Chickpea Curry recipe, all generally used components of South Indian cooking are added. The grated coconut being one of many principal components which simply makes the dish superior.
You can too experiment and make the identical recipe with black chickpeas, inexperienced peas or cauliflower or potato as nicely.
The masala paste of the Punjabi or North Indian fashion Chickpea Curry makes use of onions, tomatoes, spices, dried pomegranate seeds or dried mango powder. This additionally imparts the specified spiciness spicy and sourness within the curry.
Together with these components, garam masala powder or chana masala powder can be major on this typical method of getting ready the dish.
However on this Coconut Chickpea Curry Recipe from South India, I add 2 mildly sizzling dried purple chilies for a lesser spicy model at occasions.
On another events, I add 4 dried purple chilies to extend the fieriness. So, you may range the amount of purple chilies as per your style, spice desire and the standard of purple chilies.
Dried Chickpeas or Canned Chickpeas
I all the time use dried chickpeas when making any recipe with it. Soaking dried chickpeas after which cooking them is a further prep work that it’s worthwhile to do. However my recipe works nice with canned chickpeas too.
The coconut and spices curry base is so flavorful, that when you add water, merely add the canned chickpeas (after draining the liquids and rinsing). Combine and stir to mix and simmer for some minutes.
To make Chickpea Coconut Curry with canned chickpeas, add 3 cups of the canned chickpeas. Keep in mind to empty all of the liquids from the canned chickpeas and totally rinse the chickpeas a couple of occasions in water, earlier than you add them to the curry base.
How one can make Chickpea Curry
Stress Cook dinner Chickpeas
1. First, rinse 1 cup dried white chickpeas for a few occasions in water. Then, soak the chickpeas in 3 cups water in a single day or for 8 to 9 hours. Beneath is a photograph of the soaked chickpeas.
Tip: When you’ve got forgotten to soak the chickpeas, soak them in sizzling water for two hours.
2. Drain the water. Rinse the chickpeas once more a few occasions.
3. Once more drain all the water and add the soaked chickpeas in a 3 litre stovetop strain cooker. Add ½ teaspoon salt.
In the event you do not need a stovetop strain cooker, prepare dinner chickpeas in a pot or pan protecting them with 3.5 to 4 cups of water. Or decide to prepare dinner them within the On the spot Pot including 3 cups of water.
5. Add 3 cups water.
6. Stir to combine. Cowl tightly with the strain cooker’s lid. Stress prepare dinner the chickpeas for about 20 to 22 minutes or 18 to twenty whistles on medium to excessive warmth. The chickpeas must be utterly cooked and have a melt-in-mouth consistency.
Notice: If cooking chickpeas in a pot, add about 3.5 to 4 cups water with salt to the chickpeas. Cowl and prepare dinner the chickpeas until softened.
Make Chickpea Curry Base
7. Whereas the chickpeas are cooking, put together the curry base. Collect the spices listed beneath:
- ½ tablespoon fennel seeds
- ½ tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 4 to five black peppercorns
- 2 inexperienced cardamoms
- 2 to three cloves
- 1 black cardamom
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2 dried purple chilies (delicate to medium sizzling), seeds eliminated
- 1 small piece stone flower (dagad phool), non-obligatory
For a spicy style, add about 3 to 4 dried purple chilies. The quantity of purple chilies to be added is determined by the warmth quotient within the chilies.
So, in the event you use purple chilies which have a excessive warmth quotient, then simply 1 or 2 dried purple chilies can be fantastic.
8. You should toast or roast the spices first. In a frying pan or skillet, dry roast all of the spices stirring typically on low warmth until they change into aromatic – taking care that you don’t burn them.
9. Subsequent, add ½ cup tightly packed grated contemporary coconut and proceed to roast.
Don’t worry in the event you do not need contemporary coconut. As a substitute add about ⅓ cup of unsweetened desiccated or shredded coconut.
10. Stir constantly whereas roasting the coconut, so that there’s uniform browning.
11. Roast until the coconut turns into golden. Take away the pan from warmth and permit this combination to chill.
12. As soon as the coconut-spice combination is cooled, add it to a high-speed blender or a mixer-grinder jar.
Additionally keep in mind to take away the husk from the black cardamom and simply add its seeds within the blender or grinder.
13. Add about ⅔ to ¾ cup water and grind to a fantastic and easy paste. Be sure that the curry paste shouldn’t be gritty or has fantastic chunks of the spices or coconut. Put aside.
Make Coconut Chickpea Curry
14. Warmth 3 tablespoons oil in a pan. Protecting warmth to a low, add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds and permit them to crackle.
16. Then, add 1 tej patta (Indian bay leaf) and stir.
17. Add ⅓ cup finely chopped onions.
18. Stir and sauté until the onions flip translucent and soften on low to medium warmth.
19. Add the beneath listed components:
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (floor turmeric)
- 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 10 to 12 curry leaves
20. Stir and sauté on low warmth for a couple of seconds or till the uncooked aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
21. Add ½ cup chopped tomatoes.
22. Sauté on low to medium warmth for about 2 to three minutes or until the tomatoes soften.
23. Add the ready curry paste.
24. Stir very nicely to mix with the remainder of the sautéed components.
25. Then, add the drained and cooked chickpeas.
26. Stir nicely once more and sauté for a minute.
27. Now, add 1 cup water and 1 or 2 slit inexperienced chilies.
28. Season with salt as required. Combine once more.
29. First carry to a boil on medium warmth and later simmer the curry on low to medium warmth for 10 to fifteen minutes; or until the curry thickens a bit and also you see some oil floating on prime.
Mash a couple of chickpeas with the again of the spoon to thicken the curry. Test the seasonings and add extra salt as per your style. Add extra water, if wanted relying on the consistency you favor.
30. Lastly, swap off the warmth and add 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (cilantro). Stir nicely.
31. Serve Chickpea Curry sizzling with Indian breads like poori, naan, tandoori roti, bhatura, aloo paratha, bread, jeera rice or steamed rice accompanied with lemon wedges and onion slices.
- Chickpea High quality: Keep in mind to all the time use contemporary dried white chickpeas and those that are of their shelf interval. In the event you use aged chickpeas, it should take extra time to prepare dinner and the dish is not going to even style good.
- Swapping with Canned Chickpeas: In case you could have canned chickpeas at dwelling over dried chickpeas, you can also make the dish with it as nicely. You could use about 3 cups canned chickpeas in that case.
- Cooking Chickpeas in a pan: In the event you plan to prepare dinner the chickpeas in a pot, add about 3.5 to 4 cups water and salt to the chickpeas. Then, cowl and prepare dinner until the chickpeas soften.
- Spiciness: Make the curry much less or extra spicy by including much less or extra dried purple chilies. The amount will even rely upon the spice and warmth quotient of the chilies.
- Fat: You should use ghee rather than oil to prepare dinner this recipe. On this case, it is not going to be vegan. The recipe can be attainable with black chickpeas as a substitute of white chickpeas. You can too add make the identical curry cauliflower, potatoes or inexperienced peas.
- Leftovers: The leftover curry might be refrigerated for 1 to 2 days. Nevertheless, I like to recommend you eat it the identical day to keep away from any digestion-related points. Earlier than serving the refrigerated curry, gently reheat it in a pan. If the curry has change into too thick, add some water to dilute the consistency a bit after which reheat.
You could attempt. However I recommend you do as a curry base ready with freshly toasted/roasted and floor spices imparts a distinct and distinctive taste within the dish as in comparison with the one made with pre-ground spices.
This Coconut Chickpea Curry will keep good within the fridge for about 1 to 2 days.Simply be certain to reheat it correctly earlier than serving.
Since canned chickpeas are pre-cooked, you simply have to arrange the bottom curry. When you make it, add the canned chickpeas in it and let the curry simmer for a some minutes or till it’s barely thickened or reached the specified consistency.
Sure, you may actually put together the curry in ghee. Notice, then it gained’t be anymore vegan.
Please make sure to fee the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark beneath if in case you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Chickpea Curry Recipe | Coconut Chickpea Curry
A extremely protein laden dish, this vegan Chickpea Curry is a spicy and tremendous scrumptious curry preparation made with wholesome white chickpeas, daring spices and aromatic coconut. Serve the Coconut Chickpea Curry over a bowl of sizzling steamed rice for a comforting meal.
Prep Time 9 hrs
Cook dinner Time 30 minutes
Complete Time 9 hrs 30 minutes
For soaking & strain cooking chickpeas
For toasting or roasting spices
Different components to make curry
Forestall your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
First rinse the dried chickpeas for a few occasions in water. Then soak the chickpeas in 3 cups of water in a single day or for 8 to 9 hours.
Drain the water. Rinse the chickpeas once more for a few occasions.
Once more drain all of the water and add the soaked chickpeas in a 3 litre stovetop strain cooker.
Add ½ teaspoon salt and three cups water. Stir to combine.
Stress prepare dinner the chickpeas for 20 to 22 minutes or 18 to twenty whistles on medium to excessive warmth.
If cooking chickpeas in a pot, then add about 3.5 to 4 cups water and salt to the chickpeas. Cowl and prepare dinner the chickpeas until they softened.
Making curry paste
When the chickpeas are cooking, you may roast or toast the spices. Collect all of the spices you will have and set them apart.
- In a pan or skillet, on a low warmth dry roast the spices besides coconut – listed beneath the “toasting or roasting the spices” heading above, until they change into aromatic. Take care to not burn them, so roast them on low warmth and stir typically.Keep in mind to roast all spices besides coconut.
- As soon as the spices odor aromatic, add the contemporary grated coconut to the spices and start to roast or toast on low warmth.Notice you may use both contemporary grated coconut or frozen shredded coconut and even ⅓ cup of unsweetened shredded or desiccated coconut.
Stir constantly whereas roasting the coconut, so that there’s uniform and even cooking.
Roast until the coconut change into golden. Take away the pan from the stovetop permit the this combination to chill at room temperature.
- As soon as the coconut-spice combination is cooled, add them to a high-speed blender or mixer-grinder. Make a remark to take away the husks from the black cardamom and simply add its seeds within the blender or grinder.
Add ⅔ to ¾ cup water and grind to a easy and fantastic consistency ensuring the curry paste doesn’t have any small chunks or bits of the spices and coconut.
Making chickpea curry
Warmth 3 tablespoons oil in a pan. Preserve warmth to a low or medium-low.
Add the mustard seeds and permit them to crackle. Then add tejpatta and stir.
Subsequent add the finely chopped onions. Stir and sauté on low to medium warmth until the onions flip translucent and soften.
Add ginger-garlic paste, turmeric energy, asafoetida and curry leaves.
Stir and sauté for a couple of seconds on low warmth until the uncooked aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
Add the chopped tomatoes. Sauté on a low to medium warmth, for about 2 to three minutes until the tomatoes soften.
Add the bottom coconut and spices curry paste. Stir very nicely to mix.
Then add the drained and cooked chickpeas. Stir once more nicely and saute for a minute.
Now add 1 cup of water and 1 or 2 slit inexperienced chilies.
Season with salt as required.
Give a boil first after which simmer the curry for 10 to fifteen minutes on a low to medium warmth or until the gravy thickens a bit and also you see some oil floating on prime.
Mash a couple of chickpeas with the edges of the spoon to thicken the gravy. Test the seasonings and add extra salt in the event you choose.
Swap off the warmth. Lastly add chopped coriander leaves. Stir nicely.
Serve Chickpea Curry sizzling with chapati, poori, bread or steamed rice accompanied with lemon wedges and skinny onion slices or a facet of vegetable salad.
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions
- Dried Chickpeas: Use 3 cups of canned chickpeas.
- Stone flower: Will be skipped.
- Asafoetida: Non-obligatory ingredient and might be overlooked.
- Contemporary Coconut: Swap with ⅓ cup of unsweetened shredded coconut or could make the curry paste with frozen shredded coconut.
- Curry leaves: Offers a whole lot of taste to the curry, so don’t omit it from the recipe. You can additionally add dried curry leaves as a substitute.
- Black mustard seeds: Swap with small yellow mustard seeds.
- Dry purple chillies: Add chillies that are much less spicy or medium-spicy. You can additionally use the Indian number of Kashmiri purple chillies. If out of purple chillies, add ½ teaspoon purple chilli powder or cayenne pepper or paprika while you add turmeric powder to the softened onions.
- When you’ve got forgotten to soak chickpeas, soak them in sizzling water for two hours.
- For a much less spicy curry, add only one purple chilli or half of 1 chilli.
- Since coconut is likely one of the vital ingredient within the recipe, be certain it’s contemporary and never rancid. The coconut ought to have a light candy style.
- You may prepare dinner chickpeas in an On the spot Pot or in a pan on the stovetop including water as wanted.
- If utilizing canned chickpeas, add them while you add water to the curry paste. Simmer for some minutes till the curry thickens a bit and the chickpeas take in the flavour of the curry.
- Leftovers might be refrigerated for 1 to 2 days.
- For a gluten-free curry, don’t add asafoetida (hing).
Chickpea Curry Recipe | Coconut Chickpea Curry
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 343 Energy from Fats 162
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 4g25%
Polyunsaturated Fats 2g
Monounsaturated Fats 10g
Vitamin A 377IU8%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.3mg20%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.1mg6%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 30mg150%
Vitamin B6 0.3mg15%
Vitamin C 58mg70%
Vitamin E 5mg33%
Vitamin Ok 8µg8%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 581µg145%
* % Every day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie weight-reduction plan.
This Chickpea Curry recipe from the weblog archives, first revealed in July 2013 has been republished and up to date on December 2022.