Making the favored Indian dessert generally known as Carrot Halwa (a.okay.a. Gajar Ka Halwa in Hindi or Gajrela in Punjabi) is so easy once you use my detailed step-by-step information and video! Whether or not you make it utilizing the standard stovetop methodology, or take some shortcuts by utilizing milkmaid, khoya or the Immediate Pot, I’ve you coated all with detailed step-by-step images on this useful recipe submit sharing 4 variations or methods to make this decadent dessert.
What Is Halwa?
The phrase halwa comes from the Arabic phrase for “candy,” and refers to desserts which are cooked with ghee and sugar. Whether or not made with noodles (vermicelli), lentils (moong dal), grains (like semolina), or greens (like carrots or beets), Indian halwa is a pudding that’s completely delectable.
Opposite to widespread perception, Indian halwa is totally different from Center Japanese halva, which is a sweet made primarily from sesame seeds.
Halwa is a yummy dessert that’s reserved for celebratory events. It isn’t troublesome to make, but it surely does are inclined to take a little bit of time. When you’d wish to make gajar ka halwa extra of an everyday prevalence, think about using one in every of my genius shortcuts listed under!
Extra on Carrot Halwa
Carrot halwa is a well-liked candy made in North India, and it’s particularly widespread throughout winters. The normal gajar ka halwa recipe is made with solely carrots, entire (full-fat) milk, ghee and sugar; there’s no want for khoya (evaporated milk solids) or condensed milk.
When you choose utilizing both khoya or milkmaid (sweetened condensed milk), skip to the suitable part under to learn the way!
I choose to make use of purple Delhi carrots to make the halwa, as they’re tender and juicy. That mentioned, you should use any carrots – purple, orange, and even black – as long as they aren’t fibrous, stringy, or arduous.
One of many causes that I like making carrot halwa is that it has a fairly lengthy shelf life. I could make a batch that’ll final for upwards of 10 days within the fridge, which means we all the time have one thing candy to snack on after our meals.
How To Make Gajar Halwa
Prep and Grate Carrots
1. First rinse and peel 650 grams carrots (8 to 9 medium-sized tender, juicy carrots or 6 to 7 lengthy carrots).
Be sure that the carrots are juicy and tender. You could possibly use any number of carrots, however they need to be tender.
2. Subsequent, grate the carrots with a field grater or in a meals processor. You have to about 4 to 4.5 cups of grated carrots.
Prepare dinner Carrots
3. In a heavy kadai or wok, add all the grated carrots.
4. Pour in 4 cups full-fat milk. Change on the burner.
5. Combine the grated carrots and milk collectively.
6. Prepare dinner this combination on a low-medium warmth. After a couple of minutes, the milk will start to froth after which begin slowly decreasing.
7. Hold stirring this halwa combination typically, scraping the edges of the kadai to take away the evaporated milk solids. Stir the milk solids into the cooking combination.
8. Prepare dinner the carrot and milk combination till the liquid is lowered by 75%.
Make Gajar Halwa
9. Add 4 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter). Be aware that some milk shall be there once you add the ghee.
10. Combine very nicely.
11. Subsequent, add 10 to 12 tablespoons sugar, or to style.
12. Add cardamom powder – 5 to six inexperienced cardamom pods powdered finely in a mortar-pestle, or about ½ to 1 teaspoon pre-ground cardamom powder.
13. Combine very nicely.
14. Proceed to simmer on a low flame, stirring typically.
15. Simmer until the gajar ka halwa combination begins to thicken and reduces extra. Stir at intervals.
16. When the halwa has lowered to a pudding-like consistency, add nuts and dry fruits of your selection. I’ve added 12 cashews, 12 almonds, and a couple of tablespoons golden raisins.
Be aware: Chop the nuts earlier than you add. Raisins could be saved entire. If utilizing saffron, then you’ll be able to add at this step.
17. Combine once more and proceed to stir and simmer.
18. Simmer until the halwa combination turns into dry. The milk ought to evaporate utterly and you will notice high quality milk solids within the combination. Additionally, you will see some ghee being launched from the edges.
Keep in mind to scrape the milk solids caught on the sides of the kadai or pan and add them again to the carrot halwa. Some moisture can be high quality within the halwa.
19. Serve gajar ka halwa heat from the pan. Refrigerate any leftovers, warming them earlier than serving. Garnish with some chopped dry fruits whereas serving.
Carrot Halwa With Milkmaid
It is a fast and simple model of carrot halwa made with milkmaid or sweetened condensed milk. I’m including this recipe as a number of readers did ask me on methods to make carrot halwa with milkmaid.
Winter is the time of lengthy, tender and juicy carrots in India. So once I get them, I typically find yourself making halwa with them.
I often make the halwa with the standard methodology of cooking the grated carrots in milk (the above methodology). However on events I additionally take a shortcut of constructing gajar halwa with condensed milk. It is a fast methodology than the standard one and takes much less time.
I did use 1.5 kgs carrots and it took about 45 minutes to make the halwa. So in case you halve or cut back the proportion, it will likely be a lot faster. I used sweetened condensed milk (Nestle Milkmaid) and didn’t have so as to add any sugar.
You Will Want
- 1.5 kg carrots – approximate 9 cups tightly packed grated carrots
- 6 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 1.5 to 2 teaspoons cardamom powder or 8 to 9 inexperienced cardamoms – powdered in a mortar-pestle
- 1 tin sweetened condensed milk – I used nestle milkmaid, 400 grams
- sugar as required, non-obligatory
- ⅓ cup cashews
- ⅓ cup golden raisins
Tips on how to Make
To make carrot halwa with milkmaid or condensed milk, comply with these steps:
1. Soften 6 tablespoons ghee in a heavy kadai or thick bottomed skillet or pan. Add in 9 cups of tightly packed grated carrots.
2. Sauté the carrots till they flip tender and are cooked, about 15 to twenty minutes on low warmth. Stir typically.
3. Pour in a whole can of milkmaid or sweetened condensed milk (400 grams).
4. Combine totally.
5. Add 1.5 to 2 teaspoons cardamom powder, ⅓ cup raisins and ⅓ cup cashews.
6. Combine nicely and simmer gajar ka halwa on a low warmth. Stir typically at intervals till the combination thickens, reduces and dries up.
7. Serve carrot halwa scorching or heat or chilled.
Gajar ka Halwa With Khoya
This carrot halwa variant is a scrumptious, fast methodology to make carrot halwa with khoya or mawa (milk solids), recent tender carrots, sugar, ghee and nuts.
Khoya (or evaporated milk solids) offers a stunning texture and taste to this halwa. I’ve used selfmade khoya to make this deal with however you may also use store-bought khoya.
Gajar halwa is made very often at our place throughout winters. Throughout winters it’s a totally different enjoyable altogether to eat a piping scorching bowl of halwa.
- 1.5 kilogram carrots or 9 cups tightly packed grated carrots
- 6 tablespoons Ghee or clarified butter
- 2 cups khoya or mawa – grated or crumbled (evaporated milk solids) or 400 to 410 grams
- 1 to 1.25 cups sugar or add as required
- 1.5 to 2 teaspoons cardamom powder or 8 to 9 inexperienced cardamoms – powdered in a mortar-pestle
- 1 tablespoon pistachios, chopped or slivered – non-obligatory
- ⅓ cup cashews, or add as required
- ⅓ cup golden raisins or add as required
1. Warmth 6 tablespoons ghee in a deep bottomed heavy pan or kadai. Add 9 cups tightly packed grated carrots.
2. On a low warmth, sauté carrots in ghee, stirring typically till they flip tender and are cooked – about 15 to twenty minutes.
3. Add 2 cups of crumbled or grated khoya (a.okay.a. mawa or evaporated milk solids).
4. First combine totally.
5. Then add 1 to 1.25 cups sugar. Alter the quantity of sugar relying upon the sweetness of your khoya. In case your khoya is nice, begin with simply 1 cup of sugar.
6. Mix and blend nicely.
7. You will notice that each the khoya and sugar will soften.
8. Now add ⅓ cup of cashews, ⅓ cup golden raisins, 1 tablespoon pistachios (chopped) and 1.5 to 2 teaspoons cardamom powder.
9. Combine once more and, stirring typically, simmer gajar halwa on low warmth. The halwa will begin thickening, decreasing and go away the perimeters of the pan. While you see these indicators, swap off the warmth.
10. Serve gajar ka halwa both heat or chilled.
Immediate Pot Carrot Halwa
Immediate pot gajar halwa! Sure gajar halwa made within the prompt pot in about quarter-hour. So clearly a really fast methodology to make a scrumptious carrot halwa within the IP.
Earlier I used to make gajar halwa in a stovetop stress cooker and have now moved on to creating it within the prompt pot. I’ve to confess that prompt pot is one in every of my favourite devices to prepare dinner with. Indian meals adapts very nicely within the prompt pot and offers nice outcomes.
Historically this Indian carrot pudding is slow-cooked and simmered for hours with frequent stirrings. With the moment pot, it simply takes quarter-hour to make the halwa with the identical style and texture because the historically made one. When you don’t imagine me, it’s important to attempt it your self.
Cooking the halwa within the IP requires much less handwork and stirrings as in comparison with the standard slow-cooked methodology.
This recipe makes use of three fundamental components for making the halwa – recent juicy carrots, milk and sugar. I add some nuts, dry fruits and a little bit of cardamom powder for extra style and aroma.
- 500 grams carrots or 4 to 4.5 cups grated carrots
- 1.5 cups full-fat milk or entire milk
- ½ cup sugar or add as required
- 4 tablespoons Ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1 tablespoon cashews – chopped
- 1 tablespoon almonds – sliced
- 1 tablespoon pistachios – sliced
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder (floor cardamom) or 4 to five inexperienced cardamoms, powdered in mortar-pestle
Making gajar halwa within the Immediate Pot is tremendous straightforward as you shouldn’t have to spend time stirring it. Comply with these straightforward steps to make prompt pot carrot halwa:
1. Add 4 to 4.5 cups grated carrots, 1.5 cups entire milk, ½ cup sugar, and 4 tablespoons ghee within the metal insert of a 6 quart Immediate Pot.
2. Combine all the components with a spoon to make an excellent combination.
3. Seal with the Immediate Pot lid. Place the valve to the sealing place. Strain prepare dinner on excessive for 3 minutes.
4. After 3 minutes of stress cooking (it ought to beep), fastidiously do a fast stress launch (QPR) by lifting the stress valve. When all of the stress is launched, open the lid. Stir and blend very nicely.
5. Press cancel after which press the sauté button, setting the time to five to 10 minutes on regular mode.
6. The carrot halwa will start to simmer and bubble. Proceed to stir typically till the halwa thickens.
7. When the halwa has virtually thickened, add 1 tablespoons every of sliced or chopped almonds, cashews, pistachios and raisins. Add ½ teaspoon cardamom powder.
8. Carry on stirring and simmering till the liquids have evaporated and the carrot halwa thickens. The halwa will look shiny and you’ll some ghee releasing from the edges. Press the cancel button.
9. Serve prompt pot gajar halwa scorching or heat.
- Within the chilly winters of North India, carrot halwa is greatest served scorching.
- You may have gajar halwa chilled in case you choose. It’s a private choice, very like some folks choose pudding scorching whereas others choose it chilly.
- In some eating places, they serve a mixture of carrot halwa with vanilla ice cream. Imagine me: this mix tastes good. It’s like carrot cake pudding a la mode!
- Fridge: You may retailer the carrot halwa within the fridge. It stays nicely for about 10-12 days, however by no means lasts that lengthy in our home. When serving from leftovers, simply heat the halwa after which serve.
- Freezer: Giant portions of carrot halwa could be made and frozen. Gajar halwa retains nicely within the freezer for a few month.
- Purchase the very best carrots: It is very important purchase tender and juicy carrots in order that they’re straightforward to grate. Put together your self for an arm exercise, until you’ve a meals processor. Even nonetheless, you’ll have to carry on stirring them on common intervals. Small and medium sized carrots are preferable to bigger carrots, which might grow to be woody and difficult.
- Cooking: Keep in mind to stir the halwa combination typically once you prepare dinner it in a pan. Leaving the skillet or pan unattended will make the milk and carrots burn or brown on the backside of the pan. So stirring usually and preserving consideration on the halwa whereas its simmering is a should.
- Grating vs. shredding carrot: You may both choose to grate or shred the carrots. The carrots could be grated utilizing a hand-held field grater or a meals processor. Clearly, a meals processor makes grating of the carrots simpler, however it’s not obligatory.
- Finest pan to make carrot halwa: I counsel utilizing a heavy iron skillet or kadai (wok) to make the halwa. It’s also possible to use any thick-bottomed pan or skillet.
- Scaling: You may simply halve, double or triple this carrot halwa recipe relying on what number of servings you’d wish to make.
Retailer carrot halwa within the fridge for 10 to 12 days. Don’t preserve it at room temperature as it should get spoiled. You may even freeze carrot halwa for a few month.
Positive! Merely swap in your favourite non-dairy milk and use coconut oil instead of ghee. However observe that coconut oil will give its aroma and taste to the halwa.
Completely! Be happy to make use of the toasted seeds of your selection as a substitute, or omit them altogether.
Please you should definitely fee this recipe within the recipe card under if in case you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Gajar ka Halwa | Carrot Halwa
A carrot halwa recipe made within the conventional approach and slow-cooked – with simply carrots, entire milk, ghee, sugar and a few nuts. You’ll love this evergreen and widespread gajar ka halwa recipe.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 1 hr
Whole Time 1 hr 10 minutes
Stop your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
First rinse, peel after which grate the carrots (8-9 medium sized tender juicy carrots), both with a hand-held grater or in a meals processor.
You want approx 4 to 4.5 cups grated carrots.
Making carrot halwa
In a kadai or deep thick bottomed pan mix milk and grated carrots.
On a low to medium flame, carry the entire combination to a boil after which simmer.
Whereas the combination is simmering on a low flame, carry on stirring in between.
The grated carrots will prepare dinner within the milk and the milk will begin to cut back and evaporate.
When the milk has 75% lowered, add the ghee, sugar and powdered cardamom to the combination.
Stir nicely and proceed to simmer and prepare dinner on a low flame.
Do carry on stirring the halwa in between.
In direction of the tip, add the cashews, almonds, saffron and raisins. Simmer the halwa until all of the milk is evaporated. Change off the burner.
Serve gajar halwa scorching, heat or you may also serve it chilly. garnish with some chopped dry fruits whereas serving.
- Use recent, juicy and tender carrots for the very best texture and style.
- The recipe could be halved or doubled or tripled based on your wants. Be aware that in case you improve the proportions, it should want quite a lot of simmering and take extra time to prepare dinner
- The halwa stays good within the fridge for nearly about 10 to 12 days.
- Use full-fat milk or entire milk.
- Don’t go away the halwa combination unattended whereas its simmering and cooking because the components can burn or brown on the backside of the pan. The carrot halwa combination must be stirred typically.
- Add nuts and dry fruits of your selection.
Gajar ka Halwa | Carrot Halwa
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 328 Energy from Fats 144
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 9g56%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 2g
Ldl cholesterol 38mg13%
Vitamin A 13856IU277%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin B12 1µg17%
Vitamin C 5mg6%
Vitamin D 2µg13%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Ok 12µg11%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 24µg6%
* P.c Every day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight loss program.
This Carrot Halwa recipe submit from the archives, first revealed on February 2014 has been republished and up to date on October 2022.