Spicy, piquant, and a beautiful shade of sundown orange, this Maharashtrian dry Garlic Chutney Recipe is a household favourite. Excellent for serving with Vada Pav (or anything that wants some additional warmth), this delightfully fiery seasoning — also referred to as Lasun Chutney — requires simply 6 elements and quarter-hour to make.
About Garlic Chutney Recipe
Should you’ve ever had the Indian avenue meals often known as vada pav, that are scrumptious potato fritter sliders, it’s seemingly that you’ve tasted the magic often known as dry garlic chutney. Made with simply 6 elements in 15 to twenty minutes, this simple recipe is a surefire manner so as to add massive taste to any meal.
You’ll be able to distinctly style each the desiccated coconut and garlic on this chutney. The spice and warmth comes from pink chili powder. I used Kashmiri pink chili powder to offer the chutney a shiny, deep reddish-orange coloration.
There are a lot of variations of creating this vada pav chutney the place just a few spices like coriander and cumin are additionally added. Some variations additionally add roasted peanuts. My recipe, nevertheless, is nut-free!
Sometimes, every thing is blended after which pounded or floor to a rough dry combination when making garlic chutney. Right here I’ve sautéed the garlic first so its pungency is diminished and the uncooked chunk of garlic goes away.
What’s left is a pleasant condiment that you just’ll wish to sprinkle on every thing from Indian pav (sliders) to popcorn. Make a batch at this time and benefit from the taste increase it brings for weeks to return!
Elements & Substitutions
As promised, you solely want 6 elements to make this delightfully spicy dry garlic chutney or lasun chutney. Here’s what you’ll want:
- Impartial Oil – I normally use peanut oil or sunflower oil, however any impartial oil that’s liquid at room temperature will do.
- Small Garlic Cloves – Attempt to decide on garlic cloves which might be roughly the identical measurement so that they cook dinner evenly.
- White Sesame Seeds – For richness and crunch. If wanted, you need to use black sesame seeds as an alternative, however the finish coloration of the chutney shall be totally different. In case you are allergic to sesame seeds, strive utilizing hemp seeds or flax seeds as an alternative.
- Desiccated Coconut – This vada pav chutney may be made with both desiccated coconut or dried coconut meat. Whenever you make it with dried coconut meat, you’ll find yourself with a deeper coconut taste as in comparison with the identical chutney made with desiccated coconut.
- Kashmiri Pink Chilli Powder – For spicy warmth and a beautiful coloration. Be at liberty so as to add extra to your liking! You can too use a 3/1 mix of smoked paprika and floor cayenne pepper in the event you don’t have Kashmiri pink chili powder available, however the coloration is not going to be as vibrant in the event you do.
- Salt – For seasoning. I used coarse sea salt.
How To Make Garlic Chutney
This tremendous flavorful dry chutney comes collectively in simply 15 to twenty minutes. Right here’s the way it’s executed:
1. Warmth 1 teaspoon oil in a small iron kadai or a heavy pan. Warmth the oil at a low flame.
2. Add 22 to 24 small peeled garlic cloves, or roughly 1 tablespoon of small garlic cloves.
3. Combine to mix with oil.
4. Sauté for about 30 to 40 seconds on low warmth.
5. Add 2 teaspoons of white sesame seeds.
6. Sauté for 15 to twenty seconds, or until the sesame seeds change coloration.
7. Change off the warmth. Add ½ cup of desiccated coconut.
8. Combine very nicely.
9. Then add 1 tablespoon Kashmiri pink chilli powder. You’ll be able to scale back the quantity of Kashmiri pink chili powder in order for you a much less spicy chutney.
10. Combine once more nicely.
11. Add ½ teaspoon salt, or add to style.
12. Combine once more and let this combination quiet down.
Powder Vada Pav Chutney
13. When the combination has cooled down utterly, add in a small dry grinder jar.
14. Grind in intervals of 4 to five seconds and cease. Don’t grind repeatedly as then oil shall be launched from the coconut and sesame seeds.
You should use the heart beat possibility of the mixer-grinder in the event you’re uncertain. Grind to a rough or semi-fine combination.
Examine the style and, if required, add some extra salt or pink chili powder. If it tastes too salty, then add 1 to 2 tablespoons of the desiccated coconut and grind in intervals of 4 to five seconds.
Spoon the lasun chutney in a small glass jar or bowl. Cowl tightly and refrigerate.
15. Serve garlic chutney as required with any snacks like vada pav, potato vada (batata vada), or onion pakora.
This tasty lasun chutney is sprinkled within the filling of Vada Pav, Kanda Bhaji pav and Samosa Pav. At instances I additionally sprinkle this chutney on toasted buttered bread or have it with Khichdi.
You’ll be able to even use garlic chutney as a facet condiment with snacks like Onion Pakoda, Aloo Pakora, Bread Pakora, or any pakoda snack. Use it as required when making Mumbai Indian avenue meals. You can too have it with Sada Dosa or Masala Dosa.
- Retailer it within the fridge for as much as per week, or within the freezer for as much as 1 month.
- To make it spicier, add extra pink chilli powder. Alternatively the Kashmiri pink chilli powder may be swapped with dry kashmiri chillies. Merely roast the chillies (seeds eliminated) earlier than grinding the combination.
- You’ll want to use recent garlic cloves and never wilted or dried.
- Be at liberty to make use of peanuts. Roast the peanuts individually in order that they’re cooked evenly and correctly.
- The recipe may be scaled to make a giant batch (or a small one!). Then freeze the chutney for an extended shelf life.
Please be sure you charge the recipe within the recipe card or depart a remark beneath you probably have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Garlic Chutney | Vada Pav Chutney | Lasun Chutney
Spicy and piquant dry Garlic Chutney created from garlic, desiccated coconut, sesame seeds and pink chili powder. This dry chutney can be known as as Lasun Chutney. This spicy chutney is normally served with vada pav and thus additionally known as Vada Pav Chutney.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 2 minutes
Complete Time 7 minutes
Stop your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Warmth 1 teaspoon oil in a small iron kadai or a heavy frying pan. Warmth the oil at a low flame.
Add the garlic cloves.
Combine and sauté for about 30 to 40 seconds.
Subsequent add 2 teaspoons white sesame seeds.
Sauté for about 15 to twenty seconds or until the sesame seeds change coloration.
Change off warmth. Add ½ cup desiccated coconut. Combine very nicely.
Then add 1 tablespoon kashmiri pink chilli powder. You’ll be able to scale back the quantity of kashmiri pink chili powder in order for you as 1 tablespoon offers a spicy style.
Then add ½ teaspoon salt or add as per style.
Combine once more and let this combination cool at room temperature.
Making garlic chutney
When the combination has cooled down utterly, add in a small dry grinder jar.
- Grind in intervals of 4 to five seconds and cease. Don’t grind at a stretch as then oil shall be launched from the coconut and sesame seeds. You’ll be able to even use pulse possibility of the mixer-grinder.
Grind to a rough or semi-fine combination. Spoon the dry garlic chutney in a small glass jar or bowl. Cowl tightly and refrigerate.
Serve Garlic Chutney or Lasun Chutney as required with any snacks like vada pav or onion pakora.
- You possibly can additionally add some peanuts. Roast the peanuts rather well individually within the frying pan till crunchy. Cool them and take away the skins earlier than grinding with the remaining elements.
- For a spicier lasun chutney, choose to extend the pink chilli powder.
- If making a big batch, freeze the chutney for an extended shelf life.
- Word that the approximate diet information is for 1 small jar of your complete garlic chutney created from this recipe.
Garlic Chutney | Vada Pav Chutney | Lasun Chutney
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 373 Energy from Fats 315
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 25g156%
Polyunsaturated Fats 2g
Monounsaturated Fats 6g
Vitamin A 2373IU47%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.1mg7%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.1mg6%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 0.4mg20%
Vitamin C 3mg4%
Vitamin E 5mg33%
Vitamin Okay 9µg9%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 10µg3%
* P.c Day by day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight-reduction plan.
This Garlic Chutney recipe from the archives first revealed in February 2018 has been republished and up to date on November 2022.