Consuming curd regularly is likely one of the best methods to incorporate probiotics in your on a regular basis meals. A basic Indian foodstuff, curd is even higher for those who put together it at your house. Additionally, do-it-yourself Greek Yogurt or Hung Curd is a kind that may be simply ready out of your common curd, and is as useful as yogurt. This Hung Curd recipe is a straightforward DIY manner of constructing a creamy batch at dwelling, with none fuss.
About Hung Curd
Hung Curd or Greek Yogurt is solely the curd or yogurt, which has been drained utterly of its whey. Since you’ve gotten a reference to my publish of How To Make Curd, after getting ready that, you may simply head to this Hung Curd recipe.
Completely different folks might have other ways of constructing Hung Curd at dwelling. Nevertheless, the tactic that I’ve defined right here doesn’t require you to hold the curd exterior for a contemporary batch of do-it-yourself Greek Yogurt.
On this Hung Curd recipe, you may simply maintain your complete equipment within the fridge itself. I developed this methodology extra so retaining in thoughts the intense scorching Indian local weather. Putting the equipment in such climate circumstances can flip the Hung Curd bitter and even spoil it. So, refrigerating it helps.
Nevertheless, for those who keep in a chilly local weather or in a spot with cooler climate circumstances, you may dangle the curd in your kitchen on a hook association. You possibly can tie it on the kitchen sink faucet as effectively.
About Making Greek Yogurt
Making do-it-yourself Greek Yogurt is not any rocket science. In actual fact, I’d counsel you make your personal by following this methodology, as it’s the easiest way to get some contemporary Greek Yogurt with none added chemical substances or preservatives.
Simply just be sure you are going by means of these beneath factors totally earlier than beginning the method of constructing it. When you do this, it’s going to be as swift because the wind so that you can make Hung Curd at dwelling, everytime you need.
Factors to recollect
- DO NOT use bitter curd or bitter yogurt to make the Hung Curd or Greek Yogurt.
- Guarantee you might be utilizing contemporary do-it-yourself curd/dahi or yogurt. If in any case, you find yourself utilizing a store-bought one, then test for the expiry date.
- Whether or not you might be retaining your equipment within the fridge or exterior, maintain a bowl underneath the muslin. This can assist to gather the whey, which is wealthy in vitamins and can be utilized instead of plain water in any dish.
- Clearly, you may’t discard the whey as you should utilize it to make your chapati/bread doughs in addition to cake batters. You possibly can even add it whereas making pulao or different rice-based dishes, lentils, soups and gravies.
- Often, the Greek Yogurt is prepared in about 4 to five hours. However if you need a Hung Curd, which is thicker, smoother and creamier, then maintain it in a single day or 10 to 12 hours extra within the fridge.
- As soon as prepared, make certain to refrigerate the Greek Yogurt or Hung Curd and use it inside 4 to five days.
The right way to make Hung Curd
1. You want 4 issues :
- 1 deep bowl
- 1 strainer or sieve
- 1 muslin material or cheese material
- 1 heavy weight bowl, pan or lid
As an alternative of muslin material, you too can use a cotton kitchen serviette. First, line the bowl with the strainer.
Guarantee that all of your bowls, strainer and muslin material/cheese material are clear and dry.
2. Then, line the strainer with the muslin material.
Make Hung Curd
3. Pour the contemporary curd. I added 4.5 cups curd (made out of 1 liter milk, about 1.125 kgs), since I used to be making Shrikhand with it.
For making tikka marinade, spreads or raitas, you may add accordingly.
4. Deliver the 4 edges of the muslin material collectively and tie one edge tightly round the remaining.
5. Gently press and you will note the whey dripping.
6. Now, place a heavy bowl, lid or tray on the tied muslin material bundle. If in case you have a hook, you too can dangle the muslin material bundle in your fridge.
7. Right here’s an image from distance. Now, maintain the entire thing within the fridge for 4 to five hours or in a single day. I saved for twenty-four hours.
Do use a deep bowl beneath, so that there’s a ways between the yogurt within the strainer and the collected whey.
In any other case the whey will contact the strainer in addition to the curd. Thus, there will likely be some whey within the curd.
8. Subsequent day, the whey will likely be drained off and you’re going to get the Hung Curd.
9. You possibly can see how creamy and easy it seems to be. The feel is just like that of cream cheese. From 1.125 kgs, the yield was 425 grams of Hung Curd.
Acquire it in a container or lidded bowl if not utilizing. Cowl with its lid and refrigerate. Use a silicon spatula to gather the Hung Curd.
Even when utilizing it, higher to make use of silicon spatula as you may simply scrape it off from the perimeters or edges of the bowl.
10. Right here’s the nutrient wealthy whey. I add it to the chapati dough and in pulao or currie.
Word that in chapati, the curd like taste and style will not be felt. However in gravies, rice and pulao, you’re going to get the style.
11. Use the Hung Curd instantly for any recipe or maintain it refrigerated until additional use. It retains effectively for two to three days within the fridge.
Makes use of of Hung Curd
Hung Curd or Greek Yogurt is also called ‘dahi ka chakka’ in Indian regional languages. For the reason that whey is totally drained off from the curd and what’s left of it’s a thick, creamy and easy Hung Curd, it’s apt to make raita, dips, chutneys and different comparable accompaniments/condiments.
Due to its pure consistency and texture, Greek Yogurt turns into an incredible base for making salad dressings too. Make a easy and potato salad by simply tossing some boiled child potatoes in a flippantly spiced and herbed Greek Yogurt dressing. You possibly can modify it by including extra veggies. Makes for a yum and filling lunch.
Hung Curd can be an integral ingredient in lots of Indian recipes which contain marinades. As an illustration, a Paneer Tikka or every other tikka.
We will’t actually think about making an ideal Dahi Kabab and even Shrikhand with out utilizing Hung Curd of their recipes. One other distinctive recipe is that this Curd Sandwich, which is a straightforward manner of utilizing Hung Curd to make a satisfying snack.
I additionally make this luscious and decadent Amrakhand (Mango Shrikhand) at dwelling, through the mango season together with Hung Yogurt in it. Moreover this, raitas and tikkas are frequent at my place as effectively.
You possibly can even make cheesecakes and cream cheese frostings with Greek Yogurt since they’ve an analogous comfortable and creamy texture. However I nonetheless must attempt these at dwelling.
Please remember to charge the recipe within the recipe card or depart a remark beneath if in case you have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Hung Curd | How To Make Greek Yogurt
Hung Curd or Greek Yogurt is solely curd or yogurt whose whey has been strained and this leads to a thicker, creamy consistency of the yogurt. This Hung Curd or Greek Yogurt recipe is a straightforward DIY manner of constructing a creamy batch at dwelling that you should utilize to make marinades, chutneys, dips, sandwiches or numerous different recipes.
Prep Time 5 hrs
Complete Time 5 hrs
Stop your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
- You want 4 issues – 1 deep bowl, 1 strainer or seive, 1 muslin material or cheese material and 1 heavy weight bowl or pan or lid. As an alternative of muslin you too can use a cotton kitchen serviette. First place the strainer on the deep bowl.
Then line a muslin on the strainer.
Pour the contemporary curd. Deliver the 4 edges of the muslin collectively and tie one edge tightly round the remaining.
Gently press and you will note the whey dripping.
Now place a heavy bowl or lid or tray/plate on the tied muslin.
Now maintain the entire thing within the fridge for 4 to five hours or in a single day.
After the required period of time saved within the fridge, you’re going to get a creamy hung curd.
Use the collected whey in chapati or bread dough and in pulao or curries. Nevertheless do word that in chapati, the whey taste and style will not be felt. However in curries, rice and pulao you’re going to get the style.
Use the hung curd instantly for any recipe or maintain within the fridge for use later.
Do-it-yourself Greek Yogurt retains effectively within the fridge for two to three days.
- Use curd or yogurt that’s contemporary. It shouldn’t style too bitter.
- Ensure that all of your bowls, strainers, muslin/cheese material, and so on are dry and clear.
- Relying on the time you retain the curd for the whey to pressure, you’re going to get a extra thicker to much less thicker yogurt.
- For those who stay in a cool or chilly place, you may maintain the yogurt being strained of its whey exterior the fridge. But when dwelling in heat, humid or scorching local weather, maintain within the fridge in order that the yogurt doesn’t change into bitter.
Hung Curd | How To Make Greek Yogurt
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 130 Energy from Fats 9
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 0.2g1%
Trans Fats 0.01g
Polyunsaturated Fats 0.03g
Monounsaturated Fats 0.1g
Ldl cholesterol 11mg4%
Vitamin A 9IU0%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.04mg3%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 0.5mg3%
Vitamin B6 0.1mg5%
Vitamin B12 1µg17%
Vitamin E 0.02mg0%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 15µg4%
* % Day by day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie food regimen.
This Hung Curd recipe from the archives first revealed on April 2015 has been republished and up to date in January 2023.