This comforting Inexperienced Moong Dal recipe contains entire moong beans strain cooked and tempered with aromatic seasonings. It’s a wholesome, satisfying Inexperienced Gram Curry that pairs completely with rice or roti. Right here you’ll discover step-by-step directions and pictures for how one can make this Punjabi Sabut Moong dal dish for a satisfying and scrumptious dinner.
About Inexperienced Moong Dal
I make inexperienced moong dal very often, and I’m so joyful to share this traditional consolation meals dish with you.
Just like my favourite Dal Makhani made with entire legumes, this vegan recipe options wholesome lentils cooked with a wide range of vibrant seasonings and aromatics.
Nevertheless, inexperienced moong dal is also referred to as sabut moong dal – sabut means “entire” in Hindi – and since entire inexperienced gram are used within the recipe, therefore the identify. These entire lentils with the husks offers a beautiful consistency and texture to the preparation.
Though urad dal and this inexperienced moong dal are made with completely different lentils, they’re cooked utilizing the same tried-and-true technique.
The lentils are first soaked after which strain cooked for a fast and almost foolproof prep. Subsequent, a aromatic tempered oil is added to the moong dal to infuse the dish with deep taste.
Sabut moong dal has an earthy, satisfying style and a barely saucy consistency. It’s not fairly as soup-like as a skinny curry, however continues to be nice to serve over rice or scoop with roti.
Easy methods to make Inexperienced Moong Dal
1. Firstly, rinse ½ cup of inexperienced moong beans underneath operating water for a minute or so. Switch to a big bowl, cowl with water, and soak for an hour.
You can even soak them for a few hours and even in a single day. In the event that they soak in a single day then the cooking time will cut back by a number of minutes.
2. Now chop 1 medium onion, 1 giant tomato and 1 to 2 inexperienced chilies (elective).
Cooking Moong Lentils
3. Warmth 2 tablespoons of oil in a 3 litre stovetop strain cooker. Add 1 medium tej patta (Indian bay leaf) and ½ tsp of cumin seeds. On a low warmth fry till the cumin seeds splutter.
4. Then add the chopped onions.
5. Sauté the onions on medium-low to medium warmth till they begin to flip mild golden.
6. Add 1 teaspoon of ginger-garlic paste and the chopped inexperienced chilies. Stir and sauté on low warmth till the uncooked aroma of the ginger-garlic goes away.
7. Now add the chopped tomatoes and ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon of pink chili powder, ½ teaspoon of coriander powder and ¼ teaspoon of Garam Masala Powder.
8. Stir and saute till the tomatoes soften and also you see oil releasing from the edges.
9. Drain the water from the bowl through which the beans have been soaking and add the soaked moong beans to the cooker.
10. Stir to combine effectively.
11. Add 2.5 to three cups of water and salt to style.
12. Cowl and strain prepare dinner the lentils for 10 to 12 whistles (15 to 17 minutes) on a medium to excessive warmth.
As soon as the strain falls by itself, open the lid and test the moong beans. If they nonetheless have slight chew to them, then add some water and strain prepare dinner for 2 to three extra whistles, or about 5 minutes.
If the combination appears to be like a bit dry and the lentils aren’t fairly achieved, add a bit extra water earlier than strain cooking once more.
13. Maintain the cooker on the stovetop and simmer for five to six minutes, stirring sometimes. The consistency of the dal shouldn’t be watery.
To make the sabut moong dal thicker you should utilize the again of a spoon to mash a few of the lentils, and stir once more.
Tempering For Inexperienced Gram Curry
This step is elective however helps to infuse the dal with much more deep, scrumptious taste.
1. Warmth 1 tablespoon of oil in a small pan or tadka pan. Maintain warmth to a low. Add ½ teaspoon of cumin seeds and fry till they start to crackle.
2. Flip off the warmth and add a pinch of asafoetida and ¼ teaspoon of pink chilli powder. Stir to mix.
3. Rigorously add the tempering oil to the cooked inexperienced moong dal. Stir effectively.
4. Add 3 tablespoons of chopped coriander leaves (cilantro). Stir once more.
5. Garnish with extra chopped coriander, and serve Inexperienced Moong Dal sizzling or heat together with your favourite sides.
Inexperienced gram curry is sort of a home-cooked dal and goes effectively with roti, steamed basmati rice, and/or a inexperienced veggie salad.
Use a thick bottomed deep pot or pan. Observe the recipe and after including moong beans, add 3.5 cups of water. Cowl the pot with a lid and prepare dinner the beans on a medium warmth, stirring sometimes, till the lentils are tender.
Add a little bit of water if needed because the lentils prepare dinner.
Tip: It’s finest to soak the beans in a single day, if cooking them in a pot or pan, in order that they fast quicker.
The Inexperienced Gram Curry tastes finest as quickly it’s served after making it. When you’ve got leftovers preserve it for a day solely within the fridge. The flavors change after refrigeration and the consistency thickens. Let the dal fully cool at room temperature earlier than transferring to an hermetic container.
Please make sure you price this recipe within the recipe card under you probably have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Inexperienced Moong Dal | Inexperienced Gram Curry | Sabut Moong Dal
This comforting Inexperienced Moong Dal or Inexperienced Gram Curry contains entire moong beans strain cooked and tempered with aromatic seasonings. It is a wholesome, satisfying dal that pairs completely with rice or roti.
Prep Time 1 hr
Cook dinner Time 30 minutes
Whole Time 1 hr 30 minutes
Stop your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Rinse inexperienced moong beans for a few instances after which soak in sufficient water for an hour. You can even soak them for a few hours or in a single day. If soaking in a single day, then the strain cooking time will cut back.
After 1 to 2 hours, drain all of the water and the preserve the soaked mung beans apart.
Chop the onion, tomato and inexperienced chilies. Crush the ginger and garlic to a paste within the mortar-pestle.
Making inexperienced moong dal
Warmth 2 tablespoons oil in a 3 litre strain cooker. Maintain the warmth to a low.
Add the entire spices – tej patta, cumin seeds. Fry until the cumin seeds splutter.
Then add the chopped onions. Sauté the onions until mild golden on medium-low to medium warmth.
Add ginger-garlic paste and chopped inexperienced chilies. Stir and sauté for a couple of seconds until the uncooked aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
Now add the chopped tomatoes and turmeric powder, pink chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder.
Stir and sauté on medium-low to medium warmth until the tomatoes soften, turn into pulpy and also you see oil releasing from the edges.
Add the soaked moong beans. Stir to mix.
Add 2.5 to three cups water and salt as per style. Combine very effectively.
Cowl and strain prepare dinner sabut moong dal for 10 to 12 whistles or 15 to 17 minutes on a medium to excessive warmth until the moong beans are softened totally.
When the strain settles down by itself, open the lid and test the moong beans. In the event that they nonetheless have slight chew to them, then add some water and strain prepare dinner for some extra whistles.
Maintain the cooker on the range prime and simmer the moong dal for five to six minutes, stirring at intervals. If the combination appears to be like dry, then you’ll be able to add extra water.
The consistency of the dal shouldn’t be watery. Whereas cooking you’ll be able to mash a couple of lentils with the again of the spoon.
Tempering for inexperienced gram curry (elective step)
Warmth 1 tablespoon oil in a small pan or tadka pan. Splutter cumin seeds first on low warmth.
Swap off the warmth after which add a pinch of asafoetida and pink chili powder. Stir to combine.
Add this tempering combination to the dal. Stir and blend effectively.
Add chopped coriander leaves. Stir once more.
Serve Inexperienced Moong Dal with steamed rice or chapati.
Whereas serving this Inexperienced Gram Curry, you’ll be able to garnish with a couple of coriander leaves in order for you.
- To prepare dinner in a pot or pan – use a thick bottomed deep pot or pan. Observe the recipe and after including moong beans, add 3.5 cups of water. Cowl the pot with a lid and prepare dinner the beans on a medium warmth until the beans soften. Its finest to soak the beans in a single day, if cooking them in a pot or pan. Add extra water if required whereas cooking.
- You can even prepare dinner the mung beans in an On the spot Pot including water as wanted.
- For a spicy style, add extra inexperienced chilies or pink chilli powder.
- As an alternative of oil, you may also use ghee.
Inexperienced Moong Dal | Inexperienced Gram Curry | Sabut Moong Dal
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 197 Energy from Fats 99
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g6%
Polyunsaturated Fats 0.5g
Monounsaturated Fats 9g
Vitamin A 302IU6%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.02mg1%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.01mg1%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 0.2mg1%
Vitamin B6 0.04mg2%
Vitamin C 4mg5%
Vitamin E 5mg33%
Vitamin Ok 3µg3%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 6µg2%
* % Day by day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie food plan.
This Inexperienced Gram Dal recipe put up from the archives, first printed on July 2015 has been republished and up to date on November 2022.