Jeera Aloo is a vibrantly spiced facet dish that’s as satisfying to eat as it’s simple to organize. This traditional potato recipe is loaded with cumin and contemporary herbs, and is of course gluten-free and vegan. Attempt it for a wholesome and comforting lunch or as an addition to your favourite dinner dishes!
About Jeera Aloo
Jeera Aloo is Hindi for “Cumin Potatoes,” which is about essentially the most good title for this deliciously spice-ful dish. A lot of earthy, wealthy cumin seeds are the muse on this recipe. As you see with the title of the recipe, in Hindi, Jeera refers to Cumin and Aloo means Potatoes.
Each the potatoes and cumin are complimented with inexperienced chilies, turmeric, chili powder and lemon juice, and all collectively create a unbelievable mix of daring and tangy flavors. Each chew of tender potato tastes so heat and comforting!
You can even add a little bit of contemporary minced ginger, should you like, for much more spice. And though I don’t embrace garlic or onion right here, be happy so as to add them whenever you do this simple jeera aloo recipe for your self.
The recipe is prepared in lower than half-hour from begin to end. Entire potatoes are boiled with the skins on, then cooled, peeled and chopped, and sautéed with spices.
Jeera aloo is nice for making as a filling and wholesome lunch, or hearty facet for any variety of principal dinner dishes.
Under you’ll discover my step-by-step photographs, video and directions for making one of the best jeera aloo recipe, plus yummy serving concepts!
Learn how to Make Jeera Aloo
Prepare dinner Potatoes
1. First, scrub and rinse 5 to six medium-sized potatoes (500 grams) in water.
2. Boil or steam the potatoes together with ½ teaspoon salt in a stove-top strain cooker, Instantaneous pot or a pan, till they’re tender and cooked effectively. Don’t overcook or they’ll turn into mushy!
a) In a stove-top strain cooker: Place the potatoes and add sufficient water which nearly covers the potatoes in a 3 or 4 litre strain cooker. Stress cook dinner on medium-heat for 7 to 9 minutes.
b) In a pan or pot: Peel, and chop the potatoes in small cubes. Chopping will make them cook dinner sooner in a pan. Add water sufficient to cowl the potatoes. Sprinkle salt. Cowl and simmer on a low to medium-low warmth till the potatoes are fork tender. Drain all of the water and put aside.
c) Within the Instantaneous Pot: Place a trivet within the metal insert of a 6 quart IP. Preserve the potatoes on prime of the trivet. In case you would not have a trivet, you should use a steaming pan which inserts within the IP. Stress cook dinner for 20 to 25 minutes on excessive strain.
3. For the stovetop strain cooker, wait till all of the strain falls within the cooker after which take away the lid.
For the Instantaneous Pot, do a fast strain launch (QPR) after 5 to 7 minutes.
The potatoes ought to be simply cooked till barely fork-tender. You need them to nonetheless be agency sufficient to resist further cooking in a skillet subsequent.
Prep and Sauté
4. As soon as they’re cool sufficient to the touch, peel the skins and chop the potatoes into bite-sized cubes.
5. Subsequent I like to recommend that you simply go forward and measure out all the components you’ll want per the recipe under. A little bit of prep work forward of time will make cooking the jeera aloo a lot simpler!
6. Now it’s time to make the aloo jeera. Firstly, warmth 3 tablespoons of oil in a big skillet over medium warmth.
7. Cut back the warmth and to the recent oil add 3 teaspoons cumin seeds (jeera) and allow them to crackle for a couple of seconds as you constantly stir.
They need to brown however not burn, so remember to maintain them shifting. The cumin seeds should crackle and you will need to get the beautiful earthy aroma from them.
8. As soon as the cumin seeds crackle and alter coloration, then add 2 to three finely chopped inexperienced chilies (1 to 1.5 teaspoons finely chopped inexperienced chillies or serrano peppers).
Tip: Inexperienced chillies add the pungency and warmth to the dish. In case you are delicate to spice, then skip including them or add ¼ to ½ teaspoon of chopped chillies.
9. Stir effectively to mix the chilies and cumin seeds.
Make Jeera Aloo
10. Subsequent, add the boiled potato cubes to the pan.
11. Combine collectively in order that the potato cubes are evenly coated with the cracked cumin seeds and inexperienced chilies.
12. Sprinkle the potatoes with ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon of purple chili powder, and salt to style.
You can even add 1 pinch asafetida if you’re not in search of a gluten-free dish.
13. Saute the potatoes for two to three minutes on low to medium-low warmth, stirring usually to maintain the potatoes from sticking and overcooking. The scent of the seasonings collectively is totally superb!
14. Subsequent add 2 to three teaspoons of lemon juice, relying on how a lot bitter taste you want. Begin with 1 teaspoon, and style as you add a bit extra of the lemon juice at a time to achieve simply the best degree of tanginess.
The brightness from the lemon actually brings the flavors within the dish collectively. 3 teaspoons of lemon juice makes the dish properly tangy and should you love tangy meals, you’ll prefer it.
In case you are not a fan of tangy or bitter meals, then add 1 to 2 teaspoons of lemon juice.
15. Lastly, add ¼ cup of chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves.
16. Gently combine the coriander into the jeera aloo, and switch off the warmth.
Storage and Leftovers
Refrigerate any leftovers for 1 to 2 days. I normally make wraps or grilled sandwiches with any leftover jeera aloo. The earthy spiced tangy potatoes style fabulous in a toasted sandwich or wraps.
What are one of the best potatoes to make use of for making jeera aloo?
There are a number of totally different potatoes that work effectively for this jeera aloo recipe. Yukon gold (yellow potatoes), purple skinned potatoes, child potatoes, and russet potatoes are all well-suited for Indian cooking.
What else can I exploit as a substitute of lemon juice?
If lemon juice isn’t obtainable you should use 2 teaspoons of dry mango powder (amchur powder) or 2 teaspoons dry pomegranate powder (anardana powder) to get the beautiful bitter word. Add dry pomegranate powder, on the step whenever you add turmeric powder and purple chilli powder.
How can I make aloo jeera with out boiling the potatoes?
If you do not need to boil the potatoes, then comply with these steps:
- Fry the cumin seeds and inexperienced chillies within the oil as I’ve defined above within the step-by-step information.
- Add potato cubes (rinsed, peeled and ideally minimize in 0.5 to 1 inch cubes). Combine after which add the spice powders and salt.
- Cowl the skillet or pan tightly and cook dinner the potatoes till tender on a low to medium-low warmth. If they begin sticking to the pan, add some splashes of water. Combine, cowl and proceed to cook dinner till potatoes are tender.
- End with the coriander leaves and lemon juice.
Please remember to charge the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark under if in case you have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Jeera Aloo Recipe
Jeera aloo is traditional potato facet dish loaded with cumin and contemporary herbs, and is of course gluten-free and vegan. It will get prepared in lower than half-hour from begin to end.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 10 minutes
Whole Time 30 minutes
Forestall your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Scrub and rinse potatoes very effectively in water.
Steam or cook dinner the potatoes in a pan, stove-top strain cooker or within the Instantaneous pot.
a) Cooking in a stove-top strain cooker: In a 3 or 4 litre strain, add the potatoes and pour sufficient water which nearly covers the potatoes. Stress cook dinner on medium-heat for 7 to 9 minutes. When the cooking is full, wait till all of the strain falls within the cooker after which take away the lid.
b) Cooking in a pan or pot: Peel, and chop the potatoes in small cubes. Add water sufficient to cowl the potatoes. Sprinkle salt. Cowl and simmer on a low to medium-low warmth till the potatoes are fork tender. Drain all of the water and put aside.
c) Stress cooking within the Instantaneous Pot: Place a trivet within the metal insert of a 6 quart IP. Preserve the potatoes on prime of the trivet. In case you would not have a trivet, you should use a steaming pan which inserts within the metal insert. Stress cook dinner for 20 to 25 minutes on excessive strain. Do a fast strain launch (QPR) after 5 to 7 minutes.
The potatoes ought to be simply cooked till barely fork-tender and never crumbly.
If in case you have cooked the potatoes, in a stove-top strain cooker or within the Instantaneous pot, then let the potatoes turn into heat or cool at room temperature, then peel them and minimize into small cubes.
Making jeera aloo
In a pan, warmth oil on medium warmth. Let the oil turn into scorching.
Decrease the warmth and add cumin seeds and allow them to crackle within the oil taking care to not burn them. Stir them after they start to crackle.
Now add chopped inexperienced chillies and blend very effectively.
Add the potato cubes and blend once more.
Sprinkle turmeric powder, purple chili powder and salt as required. Combine completely.
Saute the potatoes for two to three minutes on low to medium flame stirring usually.
Subsequent add 2 to three teaspoons lemon juice, relying on how a lot tangy taste you favor. Begin with 1 teaspoon, combine and style as you add a bit extra of the lemon juice at a time to achieve simply the best degree of tanginess.
End off with ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves.
Mix and blend completely. Change off the warmth.
- Lemon juice: You’ll be able to add 2 teaspoons of dry mango powder (amchur powder) or 2 teaspoons of dry pomegranate powder (anardana powder). For including pomegranate powder, add it within the step whenever you add the turmeric and purple chilli powder.
- Potatoes: Use yukon gold (yellow potatoes), purple skinned potatoes, child potatoes, or russet potatoes.
- Spice & herb variations: You’ll be able to add about 1 teaspoon minced ginger. 1 teaspoon of floor coriander (coriander powder) and ½ teaspoon of garam masala powder additionally offers good flavors.
- Inexperienced chillies: Inexperienced chillies carry within the pungency and warmth to the dish. In case you are delicate to spice, then skip the inexperienced chillies or simply add about ¼ to ½ teaspoon of chopped chillies or serrano peppers.
Jeera Aloo Recipe
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 86 Energy from Fats 81
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g6%
Vitamin A 129IU3%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 3mg4%
Vitamin E 4mg27%
Vitamin Ok 3µg3%
* % Day by day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie eating regimen.
This Jeera Aloo recipe from the archives first printed in September 2011 has been republished and up to date on January 2022.