Right here’s a preferred beverage from the Madurai metropolis of Tamil Nadu state, the identify of which itself means a cool drink – Jigarthanda. Jigarthanda Recipe is a milk-based beverage which has one very typical and distinctive ingredient referred to as the ‘badam pisin/katira gond’ (almond gum) as one of many major components in it. As soon as you’ll be able to supply this particular ingredient, it is vitally straightforward to organize the Jigarthanda Drink. Observe my recipe to make this yummy refreshing beverage.
Like I stated at first, Jigarthanda is a cooling beverage having its origins in Madurai metropolis within the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It’s a widespread refreshment that’s bought in nearly all the road aspect stalls throughout summers on this a part of the nation.
‘Jigar‘ means ‘coronary heart’ and ‘thanda‘ means ‘cool or chilly.’ So, the Jigarthanda Drink actually interprets to ‘cool coronary heart or chilly coronary heart.’
You possibly can evaluate the Jigarthanda Recipe to that of a Falooda Recipe. Nonetheless, style clever and to an extent, look-wise too, each are completely different.
There are some components which are required to organize jigarthanda.
- Badam pisin – badam pisin is often known as katira gond in hindi. In english its often called tragacanth. Its often known as almond gum. In ayurvedic outlets you’ll be able to simply get katira gond. I purchased them on-line from amazon.in. One other cooling drink which is made with badam pisin is that this Gond ka sherbet. this isn’t the identical gond which is used to make gond ke laddu. So purchase the gond fastidiously.
- Nannari sarbath – you will get prepared made nannari syrup in outlets or on-line or make the syrup at house. You can too use rose syrup as a substitute of nannari syrup. Although the genuine Madurai jigarthanda makes use of nannari syrup.
- Diminished milk – principally it’s milk which is condensed identical to basundi or rabdi.
- Ice cream produced from lowered milk – a particular ice cream made with lowered milk.
What I’m sharing is a simple recipe and never an genuine technique. It’s not the way in which jigarthanda drink is made and bought within the Madurai metropolis.
For a simple model, I’ve used sweetened condensed milk, as a substitute of lowered milk and added vanilla ice cream. You can too use dry fruits or some other ice cream taste. I made the nannari syrup at house.
To make jigarthanda drink, I did ask considered one of my pricey readers durga aunty her technique. Durga aunty is from madurai. She lovingly gave me the tactic which she had bought from a lodge chef. The condensed milk thought is hers which I applied to have a simple model.
You possibly can at all times much less or extra of all of the components you as per your liking. E.g you’ll be able to add much less of the soaked badam pisin.
The assembling may be very straightforward. However you do must soak badam pisin in a single day or for 8 to 9 hours. They improve in quantity like something and seem like a jelly. So a small quantity is okay. If there’s additional remaining, you’ll be able to refrigerate it.
Each badam pisin and nannari syrup are pure coolants. Basam pisin additionally retains you full. Its additionally good for gaining weight and relieves constipation.
Serve jigarthanda drink as quickly as you assemble it.
Learn how to make Jigarthanda Recipe
1. First rinse after which take 2 teaspoons badam pisin (katira gond or almond gum) in a big bowl.
If the badam pisin are bigger in dimension, then you’ll be able to crush them in a mortar-pestle after which add.
2. Add 2 cups water. Cowl the bowl with a lid and let the badam pisin soak in water in a single day or for 8 to 9 hours.
3. The following day you will note the badam pisin will increase in quantity, blooms and turn out to be jelly like. After soaking, if it turns into too tightened up then you’ll be able to add some extra water.
Pressure the additional water from the soaked badam pisin in a strainer and maintain it apart. You can too refrigerate the soaked badam pisin. If there are impurities then rinse in strainer to do away with them.
Making jigarthanda drink
4. Now in one other bowl or a small pan, take 4 tablespoons of condensed milk.
5. Add 2 cups of chilled milk. With a spoon or wired whisk, combine very nicely. Hold apart or maintain within the fridge.
6. In a glass add 2 to three tablespoons of soaked almond gum or badam pisin.
7. Add 2 to three teaspoons of nannari syrup.
8. Then add 1 cup of the condensed milk and milk combination.
9. Add 1 scoop of vanilla ice cream or dry fruits ice cream or pistachio ice cream.
10. Drizzle some nannari syup from the highest. You can too add some dry fruits or tutti frutti or glazed cherries.
11. Serve jigarthanda drink instantly.
If you’re in search of extra drinks then do test:
Please make sure to fee the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark beneath when you’ve got made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Jigarthanda Recipe | Jigarthanda Drink
Jigarthanda is a cooling drink having its origins in Madurai metropolis in Tamil Nadu, India. That is a simple technique to organize jigarthanda drink.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Complete Time 5 minutes
for soaking badam pisin or katira gond
for jigarthanda drink (2 glasses)
Stop your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
preparation to make jigarthanda drink
First rinse after which take 2 teaspoons badam pisin (katira gond or almond gum) in a Massive bowl.
Add 2 cups water.
Cowl and let the badam pisin soak in water in a single day or for 8 to 9 hours.
The following day you will note the badam pisin will increase in quantity, blooms and turn out to be jelly like. Pressure the additional water from the soaked badam pisin in a strainer and maintain apart. You can too refrigerate the soaked badam pisin.
making jigarthanda drink
Now in one other bowl or a small pan, take 4 tablespoons condensed milk.
Add 2 cups chilled milk. With a spoon or wired whisk combine very nicely. Hold apart or maintain within the fridge.
In a glass add 2 to three tablespoons of soaked almond gum or badam pisin.
Add 2 to three teaspoons of nannari syrup.
Then add 1 cup of the condensed milk and milk combination.
Add 1 scoop of vanilla ice cream or dry fruits or pista ice cream or glazed cherries.
Drizzle some nannari syup from the highest. You can too add some dry fruits or tutti frutti.
Serve jigarthanda drink instantly.
- Recipe is just for 2 servings. You possibly can simply improve the proportions.
- You possibly can add much less or extra of the components as per your alternative.
- As an alternative of nannari syrup, you should use rose syrup or rooh afza.
- As an alternative of condensed milk, you should use basundi or rabri.
- For a dairy free model, use almond milk, sugar and a vegan ice cream.
- After soaking, if it turns into too tightened up then you’ll be able to add some extra water.
This Jigarthanda Recipe submit from archives first revealed in April 2017 has been up to date and republished on January 2023.