Right here’s a dish that’s the South Indian variant of the North Indian suji ka halwa. Meet Kesari Recipe – a preferred, scrumptious South Indian candy dish made with rava or suji (cream of wheat or semolina), sugar, ghee (clarified butter), saffron, nuts and dry fruits. This melt-in-mouth, orange coloured preparation can be known as Rava Kesari Recipe. Make this decadent candy deal with with my easy recipe that I’ve shared with step-by-step footage and video.
About Kesari Recipe
Kesari is a pudding like candy that’s good to have a look at as it’s to eat. To make this scrumptious candy dish the rava is roasted/toasted in ghee till the tremendous rava granules change into aromatic and alter coloration.
Later a effervescent sizzling sugar syrup is added to the nicely roasted rava and this combination is cooked additional till it thickens and all of the water has been absorbed. Lastly inexperienced cardamom powder and fried cashews, raisins are added for extra flavors.
Kesari Recipe is widespread throughout festivals in addition to poojas, auspicious events or every other celebrations in South India. It’s also made and provided to the deities in lots of temples in South India.
In Hindi, ‘rava’ is named ‘sooji’ and in English, it is named ‘semolina or cream of wheat.’ The phrase ‘kesari’ means an orange or yellow coloration and in some cases additionally means ‘saffron’ that’s ‘kesar’ in Hindi. So, principally Rava Kesari Recipe is an orange hued dessert of semolina pudding flavored with saffron.
So, the principle components on this Kesari Recipe are rava, ghee, sugar, water and saffron or orange meals coloration. The recipe is kind of easy, in case you comply with it nicely and won’t offer you sleepless nights too!
Rava Kesari vs Suji Halwa
Like I discussed to start with, the North Indian counterpart of Kesari Recipe is Suji Ka Halwa, an equally widespread and delectable dessert. In Maharashtra and Gujarat, this identical dish is known as as sheera. Nonetheless, there are some extra variations within the preparations of sooji halwa, sheera and Rava Kesari recipe.
The distinction between this Kesari Recipe and suji halwa or sheera is majorly the colour. Additionally, extra amount of ghee and sugar are used within the South Indian model Rava Kesari Recipe as in comparison with sooji halwa or sheera.
In Karnataka, Kesari Recipe variant is known as as Kesari Bathtub. For breakfast, each Khara Bath (uppittu or upma) and Kesari Bath are served collectively. It is a well-known mixture referred to as as Chow Chow Bath.
About My Recipe
Like I mentioned earlier, Kesari Recipe has a typical orange coloration. Normally, artificial orange meals coloration is added in it. Since I don’t use any artificial colours in meals, I exploit saffron and a pure orange coloration extract to usher in the orange hue. Keep in mind that the addition of solely saffron will give yellow tones and never orange.
Along with the colour, saffron provides a pleasant taste and aroma as nicely within the Kesari Recipe. If you need orange tones, then add orange meals coloration. I counsel utilizing a pure orange coloration or pure yellow coloration extract.
Addition of ghee and sugar can all the time be minimized on this Kesari Recipe, if you are making it at house. On this recipe, I’ve added barely much less portions of each ghee and sugar.
I typically put together this conventional candy as naivedyam for the deities or throughout Indian festivals like Ganesh Chaturthi, Navratri, Janmashtami, Ugadi and Diwali.
The best way to make Kesari Recipe
Fry Cashews and Raisins
1. In a heavy kadai or a thick bottomed pan, take 6 tablespoons ghee.
2. Warmth ghee on medium-low warmth until it melts utterly.
3. Add 3 to 4 tablespoons cashews.
4. Start to fry cashews, stirring them typically.
5. Fry cashews until golden. Take away with a slotted spoon and preserve apart on kitchen paper towel or in a plate.
6. Subsequent, add 1 tablespoon raisins within the sizzling ghee.
7. Stirring repeatedly, fry the raisins.
8. The raisins will change into plump and swell.
9. As quickly because the raisins change into plump, take away them and preserve apart together with the fried cashews.
10. Cut back warmth to low and add 1 cup (160 grams) tremendous rava to the ghee.
11. Mix and blend the rava with the ghee.
12. Start to roast rava on low to medium-low warmth. Stir typically in order that rava roasts evenly.
13. Stir steadily, whereas roasting rava, for even cooking.
14. The colour of the rava mustn’t change into brown. Roasting rava takes about 9 to 11 minutes on low to medium-low warmth.
Timing will fluctuate with the kind and make of the kadai or pan and the warmth depth.
15. Roast until you’ll be able to see the ghee getting separated and the colour of rava may even change. A pleasant aroma may even emanate from the roasted rava.
Make Sugar Syrup
16. Once you start to roast rava, at the moment, take ¾ cup (190 to 200 grams) sugar in a saucepan. The sugar syrup must be cooked concurrently whereas roasting rava.
17. Add 2 to three pinches of saffron strands.
18. Add 2.5 cups water. Optionally, you may as well add a pure yellow or orange coloration extract. I added 2 drops of pure orange coloration extract.
19. Preserve the pan on stovetop and on medium to medium-high flame, start to warmth the sugar answer.
20. Once you preserve the pan on the stovetop for heating, at the moment, stir with a spoon so that every one the sugar is dissolved.
21. Convey this sugar syrup to a rolling boil.
In case the sugar syrup has come to a boil, however rava has not but roasted, then scale back the warmth to low and simmer the sugar syrup for a few minutes. In order that it stays sizzling.
Nonetheless, don’t simmer for a very long time as then the sugar consistency will change and the syrup can change into sticky or have the sugar thread consistencies.
Make Kesari Recipe
22. By the point the sugar syrup begins boiling, the rava may even get roasted nicely.
23. Decrease the warmth and punctiliously pour the ready sugar syrup within the sizzling ghee-rava combination in a gradual and sluggish stream.
24. Take care whereas pouring because the combination splutters.
On this Kesari Recipe, lumps are usually not shaped as the amount of water is extra. In case if lumps type, then simply break them with the spatula or spoon.
25. Stir and blend very nicely. Break lumps, if any, whereas mixing.
26. Prepare dinner the combination on low to medium-low warmth, stirring typically.
27. The rava will soak up the water and swell and the combination will start to thicken. It will likely be mushy and moist and the consistency shall be like that of clean pudding.
28. When the combination begins thickening, add the fried cashews and raisins, reserving a number of for garnishing.
29. Additionally, add ½ teaspoon inexperienced cardamom powder.
At this step, you may as well add a pinch of edible camphor, if you would like.
30. Combine very nicely.
31. Stir until the combination releases some ghee and the rava has absorbed all of the water and cooked nicely.
Additionally, you shouldn’t see any whitish or creamish tiny specks on the rava. In case you see, then which means the rava remains to be not cooked nicely.
32. Change off the warmth and canopy the pan for five minutes, simply to permit the Kesari to steam.
33. After 5 minutes, take away the lid and provides a stir.
If you wish to make slices, then instantly pour the Rava Kesari in a metal pan or tray. Unfold evenly and when heat or cooled, minimize into diamond-shaped or sq. slices.
34. Serve Rava Kesari sizzling or heat. Garnish with the reserved fried cashews and raisins, whereas serving. It’s also possible to serve it as a candy dish.
Serving Recommendations and Storage
You’ll be able to put together the Rava Kesari Recipe and relish it sizzling or heat. Garnish with a number of of the reserved fried cashews and raisins, whereas serving.
It may also be served as a candy dish. You’ll be able to eat it as-is, with none sides. Retailer leftovers in a lined container within the fridge for 1 to 2 days.
Reheat in a skillet or frying pan by gently sautéing it or steam for a couple of minutes in a pan including water as wanted.
Utilizing the fundamental Kesari Recipe, many variations are potential. Add milk and also you get the stunning milk kesari. Embody combined fruits or only one kind of fruit and also you get a pleasant fruity flavored model. Some extra experiments that may be carried out with this base recipe are:
- Pineapple Kesari: A delish model made with chopped contemporary pineapples. The pineapple provides a pleasant candy tangy chew within the dish.
- Mango Kesari: Through the mango season, you’ll be able to strive a model made with candy or ripe mangoes.
- Semiya Kesari: This variant is exclusive as it’s made with semiya or vermicelli. Thus, as a result of addition of vermicelli, the feel and style may be very totally different.
- Sort of rava: Use tremendous rava like Bombay rava or chiroti rava for a melt-in-mouth texture. In case you stay outdoors India, search for cream of wheat or tremendous semolina. It’s also possible to purchase the rava or sooji on-line, or decide to make use of packaged roasted rava. Guarantee that the rava is roasted nicely. Typically, readymade roasted rava just isn’t correctly roasted.
- Roasting rava: Keep in mind to roast the rava very nicely. This step is essential as a result of if not carried out nicely, you’ll not get the right texture within the dish. There may even be a slight uncooked style. Stir steadily whereas roasting rava, for even cooking. The rava will launch ghee as soon as it’s roasted nicely and have a pleasant toasted perfume too.
- Liquids: You need to use milk as an alternative of water. This makes the dish richer. Use identical amount of milk as the amount of water talked about within the recipe. It’s also possible to add equal proportions of water and milk.
- Including liquids: When including the sugar answer to the new rava-ghee combination, make it possible for the sugar answer is effervescent sizzling. So, it’s a must to cook dinner them concurrently. Add the sugar answer slowly and punctiliously because the rava combination splutters.
- Proportion: To get a mushy, good texture dish, the proportion of rice and water for use is 1:2.5 for each rava and water, respectively. You’ll be able to even add 3 cups water, which supplies a barely moist dish. In case your rava is coarser then additionally add 3 cups water.
- Nuts: The amount of nuts and dry fruits may be diverse and may be of your alternative. However historically, cashews and raisins are added.
- Vegan possibility: To make this recipe vegan, substitute the ghee with a impartial flavored oil.
Extra Halwa Recipes To Strive!
Please you should definitely price the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark under if in case you have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Kesari Recipe | Excellent Rava Kesari Recipe
Rava Kesari is a well-liked South Indian pudding like candy that’s made with rava or suji (semolina), ghee, cashews, raisins, sugar, water and saffron. This Kesari recipe provides you a very scrumptious soften within the mouth candy that may be made in much less time.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 15 minutes
Whole Time 25 minutes
For frying cashews, raisins and rava
Forestall your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Frying cashews and raisins
In a heavy kadai or a thick bottomed pan take 6 tablespoons ghee. Warmth ghee on a medium-low flame until it melts utterly.
Add the cashews.
Start to fry cashews stirring them typically until they change into golden. Take away with a slotted spoon and preserve fried cashews apart.
Subsequent add the raisins to the new ghee.
Stirring continuous fry the raisins until they change into plump and swell.
Take away them and preserve apart with the fried cashews.
Now scale back warmth to a low and add the tremendous rava to the ghee. Combine nicely.
Start to roast rava on a low to medium-low warmth.
Stir steadily whereas roasting rava for even cooking.
Roast until you’ll be able to see the ghee getting separated and the colour of rava may even change. A pleasant aroma may even emanate from the roasted rava.
The colour of the rava mustn’t change into brown.
Roasting rava takes about 9 to 11 minutes on low to medium-low warmth. However do be aware that the timing will fluctuate with the kind and make of the kadai or pan and the warmth depth.
Making sugar syrup
Once you start to roast rava, at the moment take the sugar in a saucepan. I added ¾ cup sugar.
Add 2 to three pinches of saffron strands. It’s also possible to add a pure yellow or orange coloration extract. I additionally added 2 drops of pure orange coloration extract.
Add 2.5 cups water.
Preserve the pan on stovetop and on a medium to medium-high flame start to warmth the sugar answer.
Once you preserve the pan on the stove-top for heating, at the moment stir with a spoon so that every one the sugar is dissolved.
Convey this sugar answer to a rolling boil.
Making rava kesari
By the point the sugar answer begins boiling, the rava may even get roasted nicely.
Decrease the warmth and now fastidiously pour the sugar-saffron answer within the nicely roasted ghee-rava combination in a gradual stream and slowly.
Take care whereas pouring because the combination splutters.
Stir and blend very nicely. Break lumps, if any whereas mixing.
Prepare dinner rava kesari combination on a low to medium-low warmth stirring typically.
The rava or sooji will soak up the water and swell and the combination will start to thicken.
When the combination begins thickening, add the fried cashews and raisins reserving a number of for garnish.
Additionally add the inexperienced cardamom powder. At this step you may as well add a pinch of edible camphor if you would like. Combine very nicely.
Stir until the combination releases some ghee and the rava has absorbed all of the water and cooked nicely.
Then flip off the warmth and canopy the pan for five minutes simply to permit the rava kesari to steam.
- After 5 minutes, take away the lid. Stir rava kesari. If you wish to make slices, then instantly pour it in a metal pan or tray. Unfold evenly and when heat or cooled, minimize into diamond formed or sq. slices.
Serve rava kesari sizzling or heat. It’s also possible to serve it as a facet candy dish with a South Indian lunch or dinner.
- You’ll be able to add a number of tablespoons of extra ghee or sugar if you would like within the rava kesari.
- Keep in mind to roast the rava very nicely to get the very best texture within the dish.
- You can also make a small batch of this recipe or scale it to feed a crowd.
- As an alternative of water you need to use milk or equal proportions of each water and milk. Milk provides a richer style to the kesari.
- In case you use a coarser textured rava, add 3 cups of water. Additionally to make the candy extra moist and pudding like, you’ll be able to decide so as to add 3 cups of water when utilizing the finer textured rava.
- For a vegan kesari recipe, use a impartial tasting oil instead of ghee.
- You’ll be able to fluctuate the quantity of nuts. Historically solely cashews and raisins are added. However be at liberty so as to add nuts that you just like.
Kesari Recipe | Excellent Rava Kesari Recipe
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 368 Energy from Fats 153
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 10g63%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 6g
Ldl cholesterol 38mg13%
Vitamin A 2IU0%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.2mg13%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.2mg12%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 2mg10%
Vitamin B6 0.1mg5%
Vitamin C 0.4mg0%
Vitamin E 0.1mg1%
Vitamin Ok 2µg2%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 53µg13%
* % Day by day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie eating regimen.
This Rava Kesari recipe from the archives first printed in September 2013 has been republished and up to date on March 2023.