The Indian model of a candy pudding is what we consult with as Kheer. It’s principally a milk-based dessert, which has different components, sweetener and flavorings added to it. Probably the most basic model of this dessert is the wealthy Rice Kheer, the place you slow-cook rice grains, complete milk and sugar to perfection. Addition of saffron, nuts, cardamom, and many others. is sort of subjective with regards to this typical Kheer Recipe. This explicit creamy model is my household’s heirloom recipe which you’ll love for its deliciousness.
The make of the Indian candy dish (dessert) Kheer normally consists of cereals, lentils or their flours. Generally even fruits and veggies.
It resembles a pudding, and historically made with milk, sugar and a few dry fruits. The selection flavorings embody sure spices like saffron, cardamom, nutmeg, and many others. and others like rose water, kewra water, and many others. It’s possible you’ll use vanilla or different fancy components to taste a number of the modern-day preparations.
Indian delicacies has many variations of a Kheer Recipe. So, you have to be questioning what precisely is a Rice Kheer? It’s principally the Indian variant of the rice pudding. The primary components in it are basmati rice, complete milk, sugar, floor spices and nuts.
Generally, regional variations just like the Bengali Payesh use nolen gur (date palm jaggery) rather than sugar as a sweetener. This leads to a kheer which is normally mild brown or beige in coloration.
Extra On The Recipe
This Kheer Recipe is a particular from my mother-in-law’s recipe guide. Until at the moment, she makes the stunning Rice Kheer for any spiritual or festive event. I’m glad I bought an opportunity to study the know-hows of creating it from her.
Similar to different Kheer varieties, Rice Kheer can also be fairly simple to make, by simply slow-cooking the components collectively in a single pan or pot. The rationale, I generally consult with this Kheer Recipe because the one-pot rice pudding.
You simply must regulate it, whereas it’s simmering and hold stirring at intervals. It actually doesn’t demand a lot cooking abilities.
Kheer, often called payasam, can also be essential in South Indian delicacies. It’s potential to make Rice Payasam or Paal Payasam as it’s regionally identified, with both milk or coconut milk. The sweeteners could be sugar or jaggery.
Normally at house, we make this Rice Kheer in barely bigger amount. However I’ve scaled down the recipe which can yield about 4 to five small servings of this decadent Kheer.
This tremendous tasty Kheer recipe is an ideal match for festive events like Diwali, and many others. It’s also possible to serve it as a dessert after your lunch or dinner meals.
Learn how to make Rice Kheer
Under is the detailed step-by-step information that can aid you to make Kheer simply.
1. Rinse ¼ cup basmati rice a few instances in recent water after which soak in sufficient water for 15 to twenty minutes.
2. Whereas the rice grains are soaking, take 1-litre full-fat milk in a heavy broad pan or saucepan or kadai.
3. Maintain the pan on low to medium-low warmth. Stir at intervals in order that the milk doesn’t burn on the backside of the pan.
4. Let the milk come to a boil.
5. Take 1 tablespoon milk from the pan in a small bowl. Let the milk turn into heat. Then, add a couple of saffron strands to the milk. Maintain apart.
Cook dinner Rice
6. After the milk begins to boil, drain all of the water from the rice and add it to the boiling milk.
7. Combine very effectively with a spoon.
8. Simmer and prepare dinner the rice on low warmth. No must cowl the pan when the rice is cooking.
9. Cook dinner the rice grains until they’re 50% accomplished or half-done.
10. Then, add 5 to six tablespoons sugar or as required. You’ll be able to add uncooked sugar or white sugar. I usually use unrefined uncooked sugar.
11. Combine the sugar within the milk.
12. Proceed to prepare dinner rice on low to medium-low warmth. Stir at intervals.
13. Simmer until the rice grains are nearly cooked.
Taste Rice Kheer
14. Then add ½ teaspoon inexperienced cardamom powder.
15. Add 1 tablespoon every of sliced almonds, chopped cashews and sliced pistachios. You’ll be able to blanch the almonds, in the event you want or simply slice them uncooked.
You’ll be able to embody varied different nuts based on your preferences.
16. Combine effectively.
17. Then, add the ready saffron milk.
18. Once more combine and proceed to prepare dinner on low warmth until the Rice Kheer thickens and the rice grains have utterly cooked.
19. Change off the warmth when the rice grains soften utterly. The Kheer can even thicken. Scrape milk solids from the edges of the pan and add to the Kheer.
Make a remark that on cooling, Rice Kheer thickens extra.
20. Lastly, add 1 tablespoon golden raisins. At this step, you may add 1 tablespoon rose water or kewra water (pandanus water).
21. Pour the Rice Kheer in particular person serving bowls, and serve sizzling, heat or chilled. Refrigerate leftover Rice Kheer and devour inside 1 to 2 days. You’ll be able to eat it chilly, or reheat it till heat.
If the Kheer has turn into very thick, add a splash of milk and reheat.
- Rice: For an incredible aroma, ideally use basmati rice. In case you don’t have it at house, use every other aromatic rice, long-grained rice or common rice selection.
- Milk: Use full-fat milk or complete milk to get a creamy and wealthy consistency. Although you can also make kheer with low-fat or toned milk too, however the consistency can be much less creamy.
- Sweeteners: You should use both uncooked sugar or white sugar as a sweetener. It’s also possible to use jaggery. However add jaggery solely after Kheer is finished. As soon as it’s made, hold it on the kitchen counter for 4 to five minutes, until the warmth reduces a bit. Then, add jaggery. If utilizing brown sugar, additionally comply with the identical methodology as that for jaggery.
- Almonds: You’ll be able to blanch almonds in a microwave as effectively. Take almonds in a microwave secure bowl and canopy with water. Microwave at HIGH for two to three minutes. You’ll be able to even skip blanching of the almonds, if you want.
- Nuts: Regulate the amount of dry fruits, nuts and sugar, as per your likings. It’s also possible to add 1 tablespoon rose water or kewra water (pandanus water) to the Rice Kheer.
- Storage: Refrigerate leftover Kheer and devour inside 1 to 2 days. Reheat until heat earlier than serving or serve chilled. If it has turned very thick, add some milk after which reheat.
To make Rice Kheer, uncooked rice grains are cooked in milk. However the rice grains are soaked in water for 20 to half-hour. By the point the rice will get cooked within the milk, the milk additionally reduces and thickens.
So, you get a creamy and wealthy rice pudding. However there may be one other manner rice pudding is made, and that’s through the use of cooked rice or leftover cooked rice.
Dry fruits and nuts are added in Kheer to make it extra flavorful. We all the time add almonds, cashews, pistachios and golden raisins together with saffron and inexperienced cardamom powder.
You’ll be able to even add one or two kinds of nuts or no matter dry fruits you’ve in your kitchen. Some nuts like pine nuts, chironji, pecans can be included.
Sure, actually. You can also make this dish with rice that has been soaked in a single day. Solely the cooking time can be much less.
The proportion of rice to take advantage of is 1:16, respectively. Utilizing this proportion, you may simply double or triple the recipe or make in additional portions.
You’ll be able to simply make chocolate Rice Kheer with this recipe. Both add 1 to 2 tablespoons cocoa powder or add grated chocolate as soon as it’s cooked. Use a superb high quality cocoa powder or couverture chocolate.
If the rice grains are cooked an excessive amount of or if the milk will get lowered an excessive amount of or is much less, then rice grains turn into lumpy. To repair this, add some extra milk within the Kheer and break the lumps with a wired whisk or spatula.
When making a dish like Rice Kheer, the place time is taken for the rice grains to prepare dinner, it’s all the time greatest to make use of a heavy thick-bottomed kadai (wok) or pan. Frequent stirring of rice grains when the milk is simmering ensures that the milk doesn’t get burnt from the underside. Additionally, prepare dinner it on low to medium-low warmth.
Extra Questions Answered
Are rice pudding and Rice Kheer similar?
Sure, each are similar. Rice Kheer can be known as rice pudding. Mainly, Rice Kheer is an Indian rice pudding. The flavorings are sometimes Indian like cardamom powder and saffron. Some variations could have rose water or kewra water.
Can I take advantage of every other kind of rice for this Kheer Recipe?
Although basmati rice is mostly most popular for making Rice Kheer, you should use every other aromatic number of rice or lengthy grained rice too. You’ll be able to even use common number of rice. Mainly, you can also make it with the components you’ve in your kitchen.
Can I take advantage of condensed milk or Milkmaid to make kheer?
You should use condensed milk, however then, prepare dinner rice first in milk or water or half-half of each. Then, add the sweetened condensed milk with some milk. If you happen to simply add condensed milk, the Kheer will turn into very candy. So, combine it with some milk after which add. If utilizing condensed milk, skip sugar.
Can Kheer Recipe be made sugar free?
Sure, you should use your most popular sugar-free sweeteners and add them to the Kheer as soon as it’s accomplished.
Please make sure you price this recipe within the recipe card under if in case you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Kheer Recipe | Rice Kheer
Rice Kheer is a well-liked Indian candy dessert made with basmati rice, complete milk, nuts and saffron. Kheer recipe is straightforward and is made with a one pan or one pot methodology. Rice Kheer is principally Indian rice pudding and makes for a creamy scrumptious candy dessert.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook dinner Time 30 minutes
Whole Time 50 minutes
Forestall your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
In the meantime, when the rice grains are soaking, take complete or full fats milk in a heavy broad pan or saucepan or kadai.
Maintain the pan on a low to medium-low warmth. Stir at intervals in order that the milk doesn’t stick on the backside of the pan.
Let the milk come to a boil.
Take 1 tablespoon milk from the pan in a small bowl. Let the milk turn into heat. Then add a couple of saffron strands within the milk. Maintain apart.
After the milk begins to boil, drain all of the water from the rice and add it to the new boiling milk. combine very effectively.
Simmer and prepare dinner rice on a low warmth. No must cowl the pan when the rice is cooking.
Cook dinner the rice grains until they’re 50% accomplished or half-cooked.
Then add sugar. You’ll be able to add kind of sugar based on your preferences. Combine the sugar within the milk with a spoon.
Proceed to prepare dinner rice on a low to medium-low warmth. Do stir at intervals. Simmer until the rice is nearly cooked.
Flavoring rice kheer
Then add ½ teaspoon inexperienced cardamom powder. Add blanched and peeled sliced almonds and chopped cashews and sliced pistachios. Combine effectively.
Then add the saffron infused milk.
Once more combine and proceed to prepare dinner on a low flame until the rice kheer thickens and the rice grains have utterly cooked.
Change off the warmth when the rice grains are utterly cooked. The kheer can even thicken. On cooling rice kheer thickens extra. Scrape milk solids from sides and add to kheer.
Lastly add 1 tablespoon golden raisins. At this step you may add 1 tablespoons rose water or kewra water to the kheer.
Pour the kheer in particular person serving bowls. You’ll be able to serve the rice kheer, sizzling or heat or chilled. Refrigerate leftover rice kheer in a closed container and eat it in 1 to 2 says.
You’ll be able to take pleasure in it chilly or heat it earlier than serving. If the kheer has turn into very thick then add a splash of milk and reheat it till heat.
- 1 tablespoon rose water can be added to the rice kheer.
- Ideally use basmati rice for that aromatic aroma. If you happen to don’t have basmati rice then use any aromatic rice selection or long-grained rice or your common rice.
- It’s also possible to blanch almonds in a microwave. In a microwave secure bowl, take the almonds and canopy it with water. Microwave on excessive for two to three minutes. You’ll be able to omit to blanch the almonds in order for you.
- Quantity of dry fruits, nuts and sugar could be adjusted as per your style. You’ll be able to add your most popular nuts and dry fruits to the kheer.
Kheer Recipe | Rice Kheer
Quantity Per Serving (1 small bowl)
Energy 140 Energy from Fats 27
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g6%
Ldl cholesterol 1mg0%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Ok 1µg1%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 3µg1%
* P.c Every day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie weight loss plan.
This Rice Kheer recipe submit from the archives first revealed in 2013 has been republished and up to date on October 2022.