India is not only concerning the regional variations of the identical mithai (candy) or dessert, sabzi or flatbreads, but in addition salads. From east to west and north to south, there are various kinds of salads in India, that are simple to make, filled with vitamin and our scrumptious too. One such model is the Kosambari/Koshambari or Kosambari Salad of South India. Curiously, the identical modifications to a Koshimbir when in Maharashtra. This one is a Moong Dal Kosambari, that may be a should attempt.
Kosambari Salad is a South Indian tempered salad, sometimes from the state of Karnataka. It’s primarily made with lentils or pulses with a tempering of primary South Indian spices and curry leaves. The two most typical lentils used to make a Kosambari are cut up Bengal gram (chana dal) and cut up inexperienced gram (moong dal). This submit significantly options the Kosambari made with Moong Dal.
Seasonal fruits like uncooked mango will also be added in a Kosambari Salad. Even veggies like carrots and cucumber will be added. One of many essential highlights of this particular South Indian type salad can also be the addition of contemporary coconut in it. This does usher in a distinct texture plus a sure earthiness to the dish.
Different elements could embody inexperienced chilies for the spice issue, contemporary coriander for the herby contact and lemon juice for the tang. Some folks additionally like so as to add asafoetida within the tempering. Nonetheless, the tempering bit will be skipped as nicely. This Moong Dal Salad does have all of this.
An genuine Kosambari is all the time fast to make, easy, fuss-free, but is tasty, healthful and a good way of including some further proteins in your food regimen or meals. Whereas this salad completely goes together with your essential meals, you may even have it as a snack, identical to it’s had in South India.
Extra on Kosambari Recipe
This Moong Dal Kosambari is standard throughout many festivals and particular events too. As an illustration, it may be served to Lord Rama throughout Ram Navami festivities.
Together with Kosambari, Panakam and Neer Mor (Majjige) can also be normally served throughout this time. It is not uncommon in the course of the competition of Ganesh or Vinayaka Chaturthi too. Additionally it is made in the course of the Gauri and Varalakshmi festivals.
The Moong Dal Salad is an amazingly refreshing, zingy and light-weight salad, apt for any event, along with the above-mentioned festivals.
As I additionally talked about earlier, it’s superior as an accompaniment together with your lunch and dinner meals too. Since there’s a substantial amount of well being too on this preparation, you may devour it as a guilt-free snack.
1. Firstly, rinse ¼ cup moong lentils a few instances in water. Then, soak the lentils for 1 to 2 hours. If in a rush, you may soak moong lentils in scorching water for half-hour.
Be certain that the lentils are soaked nicely sufficient and are softened. You don’t need laborious lentils in your salad!
2. Later, drain all of the water very nicely and add the moong lentils in a bowl.
3. Add 1.5 cups finely chopped cucumber, 3 tablespoons contemporary grated coconut, 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves and 1 chopped inexperienced chili.
As an alternative of inexperienced chilies, you need to use black pepper powder too.
4. Squeeze some lemon juice within the bowl. You possibly can add lemon juice much less or extra as per your necessities.
5. Combine all the things very nicely.
6. Warmth 2 teaspoons oil in a small pan. Add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds and let it crackle. Preserve the warmth to low. You may also add dried pink chili within the tempering.
7. As soon as the mustard seeds crackle, add 5 to six curry leaves and a pinch of asafoetida (hing). Stir and change off the warmth.
8. Pour the tempering within the salad and blend very nicely. If making for household, you may refrigerate the salad for half-hour to 1 hour after which serve later.
Add salt earlier than serving, as if added earlier, the cucumber releases water.
9. Add salt as required. Combine very nicely and serve instantly.
Don’t retailer the kosambari salad for a lot of hours within the fridge. Should you plan to have it chilly, refrigerate for half-hour to 1 hour with out including salt. For finest style, taste and vitamin, attempt to eat the salad as quickly as you make it.
10. If making for Ram Navami or another spiritual competition, provide the Kosambari first to the God or Goddess. You may also make Moong Dal Kosambari Salad on common days as a facet dish together with your meals.
- Should you wouldn’t have inexperienced chilies, you may even add black pepper powder on this Moong Dal Kosambari Salad.
- You possibly can resolve onto the amount of lemon juice relying on how tangy you need your Kosambari to be.
- You may make the tempering with coconut oil too. You possibly can even add dried pink chilies within the tempering.
- Since this Moong Dal Kosambari has cucumber too in it, add the salt simply earlier than serving. If added earlier, the cucumber will launch water.
- If you’re getting ready the Kosambari Salad for your loved ones, you may refrigerate it after which serve later.
Please be sure you price this recipe within the recipe card under if in case you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Kosambari Recipe | Kosambari Salad | Moong Dal Salad
Kosambari is a straightforward and simple to assemble South Indian salad variant from the state of Karnataka. This tempered Moong Dal Salad, is made with moong lentils, cucumber, coconut, lemon juice, herbs with a tempering of primary South Indian spices and curry leaves.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Whole Time 15 minutes
Forestall your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Making kosambari salad
Firstly rinse the moong lentils a few instances in water. Then soak the lentils for 1 to 2 hours. If in a rush, then you may soak moong lentils in scorching water for half-hour.
Later drain all of the water very nicely and add the soaked moong lentils in a bowl.
- Add finely chopped cucumber, contemporary grated coconut, chopped coriander leaves and inexperienced chillies. As an alternative of inexperienced chilies, you may add a little bit of black pepper powder.
Squeeze some lemon juice. You possibly can add lemon juice much less or extra as per your necessities.
Combine all the things very nicely.
For tempering kosambari
Warmth oil in a small pan after which add mustard seeds. Let the mustard seeds crackle. Preserve the warmth to a low. You may also add 1 dried pink chili within the tempering.
As soon as the mustard seeds crackle, add 5 to six curry leaves and a pinch of asafoetida. Stir after which change off the warmth.
- Pour the tempering combination within the salad. Combine very nicely. If making for household, you may refrigerate the salad for about half-hour to 1 hour after which serve later. Add salt earlier than serving as if added earlier, the cucumber releases water.
Add salt as required. Combine very nicely and serve straightaway.
Serve kosambari salad as a facet salad together with your meals.
- Be certain that the moong lentils are soaked nicely. They shouldn’t be laborious or have any laborious chew to them.
- You could possibly additionally use coconut oil for the tempering.
- Add lemon juice much less or extra relying in your style preferences.
- You possibly can scale this recipe to make an enormous batch.
- Don’t retailer the salad for a lot of hours within the fridge. Eat it as quickly as you make or hold for about half-hour to 1 hour within the fridge with out including salt.
Kosambari Recipe | Kosambari Salad | Moong Dal Salad
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 99 Energy from Fats 45
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 2g13%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 2g
Vitamin A 122IU2%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 14mg70%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 28mg34%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Okay 4µg4%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 155µg39%
* % Every day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie food regimen.
This Kosambari recipe submit from the archives, first revealed on April 2017 has been republished and up to date on November 2022.