The basic Indian flatbread Kulcha is finest loved with a strong Punjabi Chana Masala. This mixture was, is and can at all times stay a winner! So, on this submit, I’ve acquired my Kulcha Bread so that you can attempt at house. It’s a undeniable fact that Amritsar in Punjab homes the very best kulchas on this planet. However this Kulcha recipe of mine may give a troublesome competitors to them! Strive it.
A well-liked and well-known leavened flatbread from Punjab in North India, it may be plain or stuffed, and may be made within the tandoor (clay oven), baked in an oven or cooked on a tawa or skillet.
Other than Punjab, it’s discovered within the meals cultures of Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh.
This soft-textured flatbread is straightforward to organize and tastes divine. You simply have to be slightly affected person until the dough leavens. I’ve cooked these on a tawa, however you may as well bake them in an oven. Greatest, when you have a tandoor at house, use it.
This flatbread recipe doesn’t use yeast in its leavening. This Kulcha recipe has curd, baking soda and baking powder which helps within the strategy of leavening the dough.
Since I’m not a fan of the soapy odor of baking soda, I’ve used it in much less amount on this Kulcha recipe. Thus, added baking powder too. Paneer Kulcha and Aloo Kulcha are a few of my favourite stuffed kulchas.
I additionally love the Delhi model Matar Kulcha – a mixture of kulcha with a tasty matar curry made with dried white peas.
How one can make Kulcha
1. Combine 2.5 cups all-purpose flour (maida), ¾ teaspoon salt, 2 to 2.5 teaspoons sugar, ½ teaspoon baking powder and ¼ teaspoon baking soda in a bowl. Make a nicely within the heart.
2. Add 4 tablespoons yogurt (curd), 2.5 tablespoons oil and roughly ¾ cup water.
3. Start to combine the flour with the liquids first after which begin to knead.
4. Make a clean, supple and mushy dough.
5. In the identical bowl or pan, cowl the dough with a moist kitchen serviette. It’s also possible to frivolously brush some water on the dough and canopy the pan with a lid.
6. Let the dough leaven for two hours.
7. Flippantly knead the leavened dough once more.
Roll and Make Kulcha
8. Make small balls of the dough and frivolously flatten them. Sprinkle some nigella seeds or sesame seeds on the dough ball.
With the rolling pin, flatten the dough and roll every right into a small-sized kulcha on a frivolously dusted rolling board.
Don’t roll thinly however maintain a medium thickness – like a paratha or bit extra thick than a paratha.
9. Warmth a skillet or tawa on medium-high to excessive warmth. The tawa or skillet must be highly regarded. Place the kulcha on the tawa.
10. Prepare dinner one facet partially until it’s ¼ᵗʰ cooked.
11. Flip and prepare dinner the opposite facet until it’s ½ cooked. Apply oil or ghee on each side of kulcha whereas cooking.
You may skip the oil or ghee when you favor.
12. Flip just a few occasions as wanted and roast until the kulcha will get golden spots and is evenly cooked. Put together extra kulchas in an analogous method.
13. Serve the Kulcha scorching with chickpea curry or chole masala. These can be stacked in a roti basket after which served heat.
Kulcha Vs Naan
Kulcha and naan are the 2 most admired flatbreads throughout India, even the world too. Nevertheless, each these are distinctive of their nature.
Whereas each may be stuffed or plain, once we speak of the variations between the 2, it’s majorly within the components, leavening brokers, spices used for every and in addition the feel and thickness. In brief,
- The bottom flour in kulcha is actually all-purpose flour (maida) and in naan is both all-purpose flour or a mixture of each complete wheat flour and all-purpose flour.
- Kulcha is leavened with baking soda, baking powder or each and in addition yeast. Naan is leavened with yeast.
- Naan is normally rolled skinny to a tear drop form and cooked in a tandoor and have a mushy or chewy texture. Whereas a Kulcha may be rolled thick or skinny and has a mushy or fluffy texture. Some variations of kulcha even have a flaky texture.
One of many similarities between them is that each Kulcha Bread and Naan are both ready in a tandoor, and can be made in an oven and tawa.
As we journey by means of the size and breadth of the Indian subcontinent, we will discover the common-or-garden Kulcha with a lot of its variants other than the Amritsari one. Learn on to know extra.
- When milk or curd (yogurt) is used as a substitute of water to knead the dough, leading to a extra softer kulcha. This kind can also be known as Doodhia Kulcha. The fluffy Lucknowi ones are additionally kneaded with milk and ghee.
- Yet one more stuffed model is the Kalari Kulcha, well-liked on the streets of Jammu – with a crispy, grilled stuffing of the standard Dogri cheese or the Kaladi cheese – additionally known as Maish Krej in Kashmiri. As a result of cheese, this has a stretchy texture.
- A number of the different all-time favourite stuffings embrace potato, onions, paneer (Indian cottage cheese), cauliflower, mint leaves, different seasonal greens and greens.
- Ensure to knead the dough mushy and clean or else the Kulcha Bread will prove chewy.
- Whereas making the dough for this Kulcha recipe, the quantity of water to be added will depend on the standard of flours. So, add accordingly.
- For finest outcomes, maintain the dough in a heat atmosphere for leavening.
- To get a restaurant model texture on the Kulcha, the tawa or skillet ought to be highly regarded whereas roasting it.
- Ensure to wipe the tava with a cotton kitchen towel after making every kulcha to eliminate burnt flour particles.
- This can be a vegetarian recipe. However you possibly can even make it vegan through the use of a plant-based yogurt like almond or cashew yogurt, and roasting it in oil as a substitute of ghee.
Sure, you need to use the same amount of atta as a substitute of maida. Knead the atta with ¾ cup water first after which add extra water if required, to get a clean mushy dough. As in comparison with maida, atta requires extra water whereas kneading.
Sure, you can also make Kulcha Bread in oven at 220 to 250 levels Celsius. Preheat your oven for quarter-hour earlier than baking.
Sure, you possibly can.
No. It’s barely thicker than roti or chapati, extra like an aloo paratha.
Sure, the kulcha dough may be ready and refrigerated to retailer in a single day. Unfold some oil on the dough and retailer in an hermetic metal field.
There is no such thing as a substitute for nigella seeds. Nevertheless, you possibly can skip it, when you don’t have or use black or white sesame seeds.
For the reason that recipe has curd in it and the kulchas are cooked on tawa and never baked, you possibly can retailer them within the fridge for simply in the future.
An unleavened flatbread is a paratha and a leavened flatbread is a kulcha. Historically, kulchas are made in a tandoor or clay oven and baked kulcha bread may be saved for a lot of days.
Sure, this recipe can simply be halved.
It takes about 6 to eight minutes roughly.
Sugar is added on this recipe because it helps in leavening of the dough.
Please you’ll want to charge the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark under when you have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Kulcha Recipe | Kulcha Bread
Kulcha is a well-liked mushy leavened North Indian flatbread. It may be made within the tandoor in addition to on a tawa or skillet. Serve Kulcha with a strong and spicy Chana Masala or Chickpea Curry.
Prep Time 2 hrs 15 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 30 minutes
Complete Time 2 hrs 45 minutes
Forestall your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Combine the all-purpose flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl.
Make a nicely within the heart. Add the yogurt, oil and water.
Start to combine the flour with the liquids first after which begin to knead. Make a clean, mushy and supple dough.
In the identical bowl or pan, cowl the dough with a moist kitchen serviette and let the dough relaxation for two hours.
Rolling and making kulcha
Make small balls of the dough and flatten them a bit. Sprinkle some nigella seeds or sesame seeds on the dough ball.
- With the rolling pin, flatten the dough and roll every right into a small-sized kulcha. Don’t roll skinny however have a medium thickness just like a paratha or barely thicker than paratha.
Warmth a flat skillet or a tawa. Place the kulcha on the recent tawa.
Prepare dinner one facet partially until its ¼ᵗʰ cooked. Flip and prepare dinner the opposite facet until it’s ½ cooked.
Apply oil or ghee on each side of kulcha whereas roasting. You may skip the oil or ghee when you favor.
Flip just a few occasions as wanted and roast the kulcha until it will get golden spots and is evenly cooked. Put together extra kulchas in an analogous method.
As you put together them, stack the cooked kulcha in a roti-basket, in order that they keep heat.
Serve Kulcha scorching with chana masala.
- As an alternative of utilizing solely all-purpose flour, choose so as to add equal parts of complete wheat flour and all-purpose flour.
- It’s also possible to bake kulcha at 220 to 250 levels Celsius till they’ve some charred spots on them and are evenly cooked. Preheat oven for quarter-hour earlier than baking.
- The recipe may be halved or doubled.
Kulcha Recipe | Kulcha Bread
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 178 Energy from Fats 63
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g6%
Polyunsaturated Fats 0.4g
Monounsaturated Fats 5g
Ldl cholesterol 1mg0%
Vitamin A 8IU0%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.2mg13%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.2mg12%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 2mg10%
Vitamin B6 0.02mg1%
Vitamin B12 0.03µg1%
Vitamin C 0.04mg0%
Vitamin D 0.01µg0%
Vitamin E 3mg20%
Vitamin Okay 0.5µg0%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 58µg15%
* P.c Every day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie food regimen.
This Kulcha Recipe from the weblog archives first printed in June 2013 has been up to date and republished on December 2022.