Right here’s a kind of Potato Recipes, which is a sturdy curry from the meals repertoire of the colourful state of Gujarat in western India. This Gujarati fashion Lasaniya Batata is a spicy and garlicky child potatoes dish that’s easy, but loaded with flavors. Because the recipe additionally makes use of all plant-based components, additionally it is a stunning vegan dish that may be simply made at house. Have it along with your alternative of Indian flatbreads, for a yummy, satisfying meal.
About Lasaniya Batata
To translate it merely, ‘lasaniya’ would imply ‘garlicky or garlic flavored’ and ‘batata’ is what ‘potato’ is known as in some regional languages in India. This Lasaniya Batata preparation is a typical one from the Kathiawad/Saurashtra area of Gujarat.
The Lasaniya Batata is a kind of recipes made with potato, which doesn’t have any frills or thrills about it. But, sits on the highest relating to flavors in it.
This dish can also be a delight for all those that love brilliant, fiery meals. Historically, the dish can also be known as ‘Lasaniya Bataka’ within the above-mentioned areas of Gujarat.
On the very first look, you may discover the record of components for this Lasaniya Batata recipe intensive. However you actually don’t have to fret about it as all of the components are the on a regular basis components in your house kitchens.
The three steps that go in making this Lasaniya Batata is pan frying the infant potatoes first. That is adopted by making the naturally pink hued masala paste after which cooking each these collectively together with another components right into a comforting, tasty curry.
Kathiawadi meals is normally spicy, when served in its true essence. Nevertheless, I’ve saved the spice ranges on this Lasaniya Batata medium. You’ll be able to even make this dish very spicy, relying upon what your palate likes.
Whereas the only option of potatoes for this Lasaniya Batata could be to make use of child potatoes, you’ll be able to even make this recipe with common potatoes as a substitute. Simply make certain to cut them into cubes or dices when doing so.
Along with the potatoes and a beneficiant amount of garlic on this recipe of Lasaniya Batata, different components that go into this dish are tomato, Kashmiri dried pink chilies, ginger, onion, complete spices like tej patta, cumin seeds and herbs like coriander leaves or mint.
The bottom spices added on this recipe are turmeric powder, asafoetida (hing), Kashmiri pink chili powder, coriander powder and cumin powder.
You’ll be able to modify the amount of water on this recipe of Lasaniya Batata in keeping with the consistency of the gravy you want.
Personally, I wish to maintain it a medium thick consistency that might go nicely with flatbreads. In case you are having it with rice, you’ll be able to skinny the gravy a bit.
Historically, the Lasaniya Batata is served with rice papads or fryums. However the gravy additionally goes nice with flatbreads like chapatis, phulkas, bajra roti or jowar roti. You may as well relish these spiced child potatoes as a snack.
Easy methods to make Lasaniya Batata
1. Soak 4 to five dried Kashmiri pink chilies in a scorching water for 20 to half-hour. Choose to take away the crowns, seeds and rinse the chillies, earlier than soaking.
2. Rinse 250 grams child potatoes very nicely. Steam in a pan/pot or strain prepare dinner them until they’re virtually cooked.
If strain cooking, then prepare dinner for two whistles in a 2 litre stovetop strain cooker including water nearly protecting the potatoes. Stress prepare dinner on medium warmth.
The potatoes ought to grow to be tender, however not unfastened form, collapse or grow to be crumbly.
3. When they’re nonetheless heat or barely scorching, peel the potatoes and prick them throughout with a tooth choose, fork or a bamboo skewer. Preserve apart.
Make Masala Paste
4. As soon as the pink chilies are soaked, roughly chop or halve them. Add to a small grinder jar.
5. Subsequent, add ⅓ cup chopped tomatoes, 1 inch chopped ginger and 14 to 16 medium-sized, peeled and chopped garlic cloves.
6. Add 1 to 1.5 tablespoons water and grind to a easy masala paste.
Pan Fry Child Potatoes
7. Warmth 3 tablespoons oil in a pan. Add the infant potatoes.
8. On medium-low to medium warmth, stir and start to pan fry them and flip over when one aspect is golden or browned.
9. Pan fry until they grow to be crisp and golden.
10. Take away and place the pan fried potatoes on a kitchen paper towel. Proceed to pan fry those which aren’t nonetheless getting crisp and golden.
If you’d like, you’ll be able to deep fry the potatoes additionally.
Make Lasaniya Batata
11. In the identical pan, add the next spices – 1 tej patta and ½ teaspoon cumin seeds. Stir until the cumin seeds splutter on low to medium-low warmth.
12. Now, add 1 medium chopped onion (about ⅓ cup chopped).
13. On low to medium warmth, stir and sauté the onions until translucent.
14. Preserve the warmth to its lowest after which add the bottom spice powders:
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon Kashmiri pink chili powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
For a extra spicy style, add ½ teaspoon Kashmiri pink chili powder.
15. Stir and blend the spices.
16. Add the ready masala paste.
17. Stir and blend very nicely.
18. Sauté the masala on low to medium warmth until it turns into shiny and also you see oil releasing from the edges. About 4 to five minutes on low warmth.
19. Then, add salt as per style.
20. Add ½ cup water and stir to mix.
21. Simmer the curry on low to medium warmth for a minute.
22. Add the pan fried potatoes. Stir and blend very nicely.
23. Cowl the pan with a decent becoming lid.
24. Simmer Lasaniya Batata on low warmth for six to 7 minutes.
25. Right here’s the ultimate dish able to be served.
26. Garnish Lasaniya Batata with mint sprigs or chopped coriander leaves and serve scorching with chapati, phulka, bajra roti or jowar roti.
You may as well sprinkle some chaat masala on prime earlier than serving.
- You’ll be able to put together this dish with child potatoes or common potatoes. Keep in mind to rinse the potatoes very nicely eradicating any mud or grime with a gentle brush.
- You’ll be able to decide to maintain the peels on the potatoes when you want.
- As a substitute of pan frying the potatoes, you’ll be able to even deep-fry them. For a more healthy choice roast them in an oven or can air-fry.
- To make a spicier Lasaniya Batata recipe, you’ll be able to improve the amount of Kashmiri pink chili powder in keeping with your likings.
- The gravy of this potato preparation might be adjusted relying on the consistency you need. Add kind of water accordingly.
- Simply earlier than serving, you’ll be able to garnish the dish with chopped coriander leaves and even recent mint sprigs. A sprinkle of chaat masala on prime additionally elevates the flavors within the dish.
Please make sure you fee the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark beneath when you have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Lasaniya Batata Recipe
This Lasaniya Batata recipe is a spicy and garlicky child potatoes preparation that’s easy, but loaded with flavors. A novel and particular recipe from the Gujarati delicacies. Have it along with your alternative of Indian flatbreads, for a yummy, satisfying meal.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook dinner Time 20 minutes
Whole Time 50 minutes
Forestall your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Soak the dry kashmiri pink chilies in scorching water for 20 to half-hour. Previous to soaking take away their stems and seeds. You may as well rinse them earlier than soaking.
When the chilies are soaking, rinse the infant potatoes first very nicely. Steam in a pot/pan (including water as required) or strain prepare dinner them until they’re virtually cooked.
- If strain cooking, then in a 2 litre stovetop strain cooker, prepare dinner for two whistles including water protecting the potatoes. Stress prepare dinner on medium warmth.The potatoes ought to be cooked nicely, however not crumbly or mushy and may maintain form.
Let the strain drop naturally within the cooker, then solely open the lid. Drain all of the water and set the potatoes apart to chill.
When they’re nonetheless heat or barely scorching, peel the potatoes and prick them throughout with a tooth choose, fork or a bamboo skewer. Preserve apart.
As soon as the chilies are soaked, roughly chop or halve them. Add to a small grinder jar.
Subsequent add chopped tomatoes, ginger and garlic cloves.
Add 1 to 1.5 tablespoons of water and grind to a easy and high-quality paste. Preserve apart
Pan frying potatoes
Warmth 3 tablespoons oil in a pan.
Add the cooked potatoes.
Stir and start to pan fry them and flip over when one aspect is golden or browned.
Pan fry until they grow to be crisp and golden on medium-low to medium warmth.
- Take away those which have grow to be golden with a slotted spoon and place the pan fried potatoes on a kitchen paper towel. Proceed to pan fry those which aren’t nonetheless getting crisp and golden.
Making lasaniya batata
In the identical pan, some oil can be left. Add the next spices – 1 tej patta and ½ teaspoon cumin seeds. Stir on low warmth until the cumin seeds splutter.
Now add chopped onions.
On a low to medium warmth, stir and sauté the onions until they flip translucent and are softened.
Preserve the warmth to its lowest after which add the bottom spice powders – a pinch of asafoetida, turmeric powder, kashmiri pink chili powder, coriander powder and cumin powder.
Stir and blend the spices.
Add the bottom masala paste. Stir and blend very nicely.
Saute the masala on a low to medium warmth until it turns into shiny and also you see oil releasing from the edges.
Then add salt as per style.
Add water. Simmer the curry on a low to medium warmth for a minute.
Add the pan fried potatoes. Stir and blend very nicely.
Cowl the pan with lid. Simmer for six to 7 minutes on low warmth.
Whereas serving, you’ll be able to garnish with some chopped coriander leaves. You may as well sprinkle some chaat masala from prime earlier than serving.
Serve Lasaniya Batata with chapati, phulka or bajra roti or jowar roti.
- For a spicy Lasaniya Batata, improve the variety of kashmiri pink chillies or use dried pink chillies that are extra spicier and scorching.
- You’ll be able to maintain the consistency to about thick, the place the masala coats the potatoes or to a medium-thick to medium consistency. So accordingly add water as wanted.
- For garnish, both add coriander leaves or mint leaves. Each style good.
- You’ll be able to decide to make use of new potatoes or small potatoes or common potatoes as a substitute of child potatoes. If utilizing any of those potatoes, then par-cook or par-boil them.
Lasaniya Batata Recipe
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 361 Energy from Fats 198
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 2g13%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 18g
Vitamin A 1188IU24%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 3mg15%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 164mg199%
Vitamin E 10mg67%
Vitamin Okay 20µg19%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 56µg14%
* P.c Day by day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight loss program.
This Lasaniya Batata recipe from the archives first revealed in July 2015 has been republished and up to date on January 2023.