This Lauki ke Kofte recipe has bottle gourd kofta dunked in a scrumptious, spiced tomato-based gravy. The primary time I attempted Lauki Kofta was at my in-law’s place. I by no means knew that such a a delish, tangy curry could possibly be made with bottle gourd (opo squash, lengthy melon or lauki, dudhi, ghia). The well-known model Malai Kofta is what I used to be accustomed to.
About Lauki ke Kofte
Lauki, dudhi, ghia, bottle gourd or opo squash is used to make the koftas or fried dumplings on this Lauki ke Kofte recipe. These are steeped in a tangy, mildly spiced gravy with a tomato base. This vegan gravy is wealthy and laden with flavors.
I fell in love with the koftas after making an attempt this Lauki Kofta for the primary time. They had been completely melt-in-mouth. The gravy had a pleasant tangy style coming from the tomatoes.
My mom-in-law’s Lauki Kofta recipe doesn’t have the rest within the curry paste, which is majorly made with tomatoes, onions, ginger and garlic. The tempering is of solely cumin seeds.
I improvised on her Lauki Kofta recipe and turned it right into a smoother and creamier model by including cashews. The nuts add physique to the gravy and improve the style.
There’s a very good quantity of prep work that goes on this Lauki Kofta recipe. If the whole lot is in place, it turns into simpler.
For the dumplings half, I’ve made koftas which don’t take in a lot of the gravy as they aren’t porous or very comfortable. You’ll be able to add lauki pakoda or fritters. These will take in the gravy, swell and might break as properly.
The key distinction between kofta and pakoda is the consistency of the combination or batter. Kofta combination is thick and pakoda batter has a pouring consistency. You’ll be able to select no matter’s possible for you.
The Lauki ke Kofte is greatest loved with roti, phulka, naan, parathas, roomali roti, jeera rice and even plain steamed rice.
The best way to make Lauki Kofta
1. Rinse, peel and grate 1 medium-sized lauki or bottle gourd. Measure the grated lauki and you will have 2 cups of those.
Squeeze the grated lauki and maintain the juice. We’ll use this juice within the gravy.
Notice: If the bottle gourd tastes bitter, then throw it away. So do a style take a look at earlier than you peel and grate the lauki.
2. To the grated lauki, add the next substances:
- 4 tablespoons gram flour (besan)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ¼ teaspoon pink chili powder
- 1 finely chopped inexperienced chili
- salt as required
3. Combine properly and type small sized spherical or oval balls. Run a little bit of oil in your palms when shaping the kofta.
For those who add water to this combination, you’re going to get a pakoda batter. Drop spoonfuls of the batter within the oil to make pakoda. Keep in mind so as to add much less water to make the batter.
4. Warmth oil in a kadai or frying pan for deep frying or shallow frying.
Gently place the lauki koftas within the sizzling oil. I first added only one to ensure if it breaks or doesn’t break. You’ll be able to choose to shallow fry or deep fry.
5. Fry koftas in oil, let all sides brown evenly turning over gently as wanted. The primary kofta which I added has already browned.
6. To soak up additional oil, drain fried lauki koftas on paper tissues.
Make Masala Paste and Sauté
7. In a blender or mixer-grinder, make a effective, clean paste of the next substances:
- 2 massive roughly chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium sized roughly chopped onion
- 1 chopped inexperienced chili or 1 teaspoon, chopped
- 1 inch chopped ginger or 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 4 to five chopped garlic cloves or 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons damaged cashews.
There is no such thing as a have to any water whereas mixing these substances.
8. Take away the additional oil from the identical pan by which you fried the koftas. Preserve round 2 tablespoons oil. Or you can choose to make use of 2 tablespoons of recent oil.
Warmth the oil in one other pan or in the identical pan. Fry 1 teaspoon cumin seeds first on a low warmth till they splutter. Add the bottom masala paste.
Watch out because the paste splutters. If there may be an excessive amount of spluttering, simply cowl the pan with a lid not masking totally. Enable some steam to flee.
The spluttering stops after the paste combination thickens. Take away the lid. Preserve stirring the masala at instances.
Sauté for whole of 8 to 10 minutes on medium-low warmth after you add the masala paste to the pan.
Make Lauki Kofta Curry
9. After sautéing it for 8 to 10 minutes you will note that the masala paste thickens barely. Now add all of the dry floor spice powders listed beneath:
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon pink chili powder or cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
10. Stir and cook dinner the masala for 3 to 4 minutes or until it leaves oil. The masala will even thicken extra and look shiny.
11. Add the lauki juice and 1 cup water or as required. Stir and simmer the gravy for 10 to 12 minutes extra. Don’t cowl the pan with a lid.
12. As soon as the simmering is full and the curry has thickened a bit, season with salt and stir. For those who like a candy style in your gravy, add sugar as required.
Add the fried koftas to the curry and serve Lauki Kofta sizzling with roti, naan, steamed basmati rice or jeera rice.
- Prep Forward: The preparation for this recipe is time intensive. Preserve the gravy base and kofta pre ready. You’ll be able to mix the masala paste a day prematurely and refrigerate it.
If you’re making ready this recipe on particular events, you can also make and form the kofta combination and refrigerate them to ease your work. Subsequent day, you possibly can simply fry the koftas and end the gravy.
- Batter Consistency: For those who add water to the kofta combination, you’re going to get a batter consistency with which you can also make lauki ke pakode. However bear in mind so as to add some gram flour as properly. Drop spoonfuls of the batter within the oil to make pakoda.
Additionally observe that you could shallow fry or deep fry the koftas. Since these pakodas will likely be lighter and fluffy, they’ll find yourself absorbing all of the curry/gravy in case you dunk them in it. So serve these pakodas while you serve the gravy.
- Deep Frying: Fry the koftas in oil on the proper temperature. The oil needs to be sizzling sufficient for the kofta to come back up regularly and swiftly. If the kofta stays on the backside and comes up slowly, the oil is heat.
This can make your kofta take in lots of oil and it could crumble. If the kofta comes up and browns too shortly, the oil could be very sizzling. This can cook dinner the kofta from outdoors and the within will stay undercooked.
Extra Useful Suggestions
- Sautéing Masala: The masala paste splutters. Watch out. If there may be an excessive amount of spluttering, cowl the pan with a lid not masking totally. Enable some steam to flee. The spluttering stops after the combination thickens.
- Curry Consistency: The Lauki Kofta gravy is often clean, creamy and barely thick. You’ll be able to maintain the consistency barely medium or medium-thick consistency too.
- Sweetness: Regulate the extent of sweetness within the gravy by growing or lowering the sugar amount.
- Including Cream: You’ll be able to garnish the Lauki Kofta with a tablespoon of heavy, whipping or two tablespoons of sunshine cream. This can make the gravy richer.
- Make Forward: Put together the gravy and kofta and refrigerate them individually. Serve collectively. So warmth the gravy in a pan. If the gravy is simply too thick, add a little bit of sizzling water. Heat the kofta in a preheated oven at 120 levels C (250 levels F) for a couple of minutes.
You should utilize soaked almonds instead of cashews. If you’d like it nut free, you need to use a bit of cream.
Lauki Kofta is greatest served with roti, paratha, naan or roomali roti. I additionally love serving it with phulka. If you’re avoiding gluten, plain steamed basmati rice or jeera rice goes properly with it.
Sure, you possibly can certainly do this. You can also make the kofta and gravy and refrigerate them individually. Mix whereas serving.
Warmth the gravy and whether it is too thick, add some water. Koftas may be warmed in a preheated oven at 120 levels C (250 levels F) for a couple of minutes.
Sure, you possibly can. You may as well use sugar as per your palate.
You’ll be able to garnish this Lauki Kofta with some cream on the finish. This additionally turns the gravy richer.
Please be sure you charge the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark beneath when you have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Lauki Kofta | Lauki ke Kofte
Lauki ke Kofte is a scrumptious, gentle tomato-based gravy with koftas fabricated from bottle gourd. This squash selection can be referred to as calabash, opo squash or lengthy melon in English and lauki, dudhi or ghia in a couple of Indian languages.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook dinner Time 30 minutes
Complete Time 1 hr
Stop your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Making lauki kofta
- Rinse and peel the lauki (bottle gourd). Grate it. Measure and it is best to get 2 cups of grated lauki.Be certain that to style the bottle gourd earlier than you peel and grate. It shouldn’t be bitter. If the lauki tastes bitter, trash it.
Squeeze the grated lauki and acquire the juice in a bowl or mug. Preserve the juice apart.
Combine all of the substances, besides oil, for making the koftas with the grated lauki.
Make small spherical formed balls or patties.
Warmth oil in a kadai or frying pan. Fry the lauki koftas in oil, until they’re evenly golden browned from all sides.
Drain the fried kofta on paper towels in order that the additional oil is absorbed.
Making masala paste
Mix all of the substances talked about underneath ‘for making masala paste’ with out water to a clean and effective paste.
If wanted add a little bit of water, however do not add an excessive amount of water as then the masala paste splutters whereas frying.
Making lauki kofta gravy
Take away additional oil from the frying pan by which the koftas had been fried. Preserve about 2 tablespoons oil. Or you can choose to make use of 2 tablespoons of recent oil.
Warmth the oil and fry the cumin seeds first on low warmth till they splutter. Then, add the bottom masala paste.
Sauté for 8 to 10 minutes on medium-low warmth stirring usually. Then add all the bottom spice powders.
Stir and proceed to sauté the masala paste until it begins leaving oil from the perimeters. The masala will even thicken and look shiny.
Add the lauki juice and about 1 cup water or as wanted to the sautéed masala paste.
Stir and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or till the curry thickens a bit. Lastly, add the fried koftas.
Change off the warmth and let the koftas be within the gravy for a couple of minutes.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve Lauki Kofta sizzling with roti, naan or jeera rice.
- For those who add water to the kofta combination to make a pakoda like batter, then do add some gram flour as properly.
- For those who do make a lauki pakoda, then serve it solely when serving the gravy. Don’t add them within the gravy or curry as they’ll take in all of the curry. The pakoda being lighter and fluffy, absorbs the gravy.
- Don’t use tomatoes that are very tangy or bitter.
- You’ll be able to add sugar in your gravy, in case you prefer it candy.
Lauki Kofta | Lauki ke Kofte
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 194 Energy from Fats 126
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 2g13%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 10g
Vitamin A 598IU12%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.1mg7%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.04mg2%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 0.2mg10%
Vitamin C 12mg15%
Vitamin E 5mg33%
Vitamin Okay 9µg9%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 45µg11%
* P.c Day by day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie eating regimen.
This Lauki ke Kofte recipe from the archives, first printed in 2013 has been republished and up to date on December 2022.