Everyone knows that Lauki a.ok.a Bottle Gourd (or Lengthy Melon or Calabash) is a wholesome veggie. Often within the Indian delicacies, we make many recipes with it. This creamy Lauki Soup is one such healthful recipe which you could make with bottle gourd. The Bottle Gourd Soup is herby, creamy and completely smashing on the palate!
About Lauki Soup
I used to be launched to this straightforward, but flavorful soup recipe by my Spanish pal. So, this can be a Spanish approach of constructing the Bottle Gourd Soup.
Since zucchinis and courgettes are extra common in Spain, the Spaniards favor their model of this soup with this household of summer season squash, and never bottle gourd.
However at some point my pal used bottle gourd in her recipe and the end result was this amazingly scrumptious thick, creamy and healthful Bottle Gourd Soup.
In India, lauki is present in abundance and now we have many recipes of our personal with this humble and nutritious vegetable. Consuming lauki additionally aids in weight-loss.
Since my pal shared her recipe with me, I made this recipe a few occasions at residence. As she would do, you can too make this soup with courgette or zucchini.
As bottle gourd has many well being advantages, this soup is a wonderful supply of important vitamins for teenagers and aged folks alike. See, its actually easy. Put together this yummy, taste packed soup and feed it to kids who fuss over consuming lauki.
Making this soup is a cakewalk! Simply get your components prepared and comply with the recipe to arrange one of many healthiest soups which you could eat.
Have this Lauki Soup as a starter with some bread on the aspect or with rice. Some crispy golden croutons will be added within the soup for that further component of texture. This soup is also a fab thought in your brunches in addition to gentle dinners.
The way to make Lauki Soup
Prep and Prepare dinner Lauki
1. Rinse 350 grams bottle gourd in sufficient water, peel, chop and put aside. You’ll need about 2.25 to 2.5 cups chopped bottle gourd for this recipe.
Observe: Earlier than prepping bottle gourd, test the style from each its ends. It shouldn’t be bitter. If the bottle gourd has a bitter style, trash it. Bitter tasting bottle gourd shouldn’t be consumed as it may well result in extreme and significant belly issues together with disturbances within the blood stress ranges.
What do you do with the peels? You may make a fab coconut chutney with the peels or a bottle gourd peels chutney.
2. Warmth 1 tablespoon olive oil in a 2 litre stovetop stress cooker. Add ¼ to ⅓ cup roughly chopped onions and 1 teaspoon chopped garlic.
As an alternative of olive oil use any neutral-flavored oil like sunflower oil. It’s also possible to use butter in case you favor.
3. Sauté stirring typically on medium warmth till onions soften.
4. Add chopped bottle gourd sauté for about 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Add 2 cups of water to the greens.
6. Strain cook dinner on medium warmth for two whistles or for 9 to 10 minutes. It’s also possible to decide to cook dinner the bottle gourd within the Prompt Pot.
7. Let the stress drop naturally within the cooker. Then solely open the lid. Enable the warmth cut back a bit and let the bottle gourd items grow to be heat.
Maintain a pan or bowl beneath a strainer. Pour the whole combination from the cooker within the strainer. Gather the broth or inventory (the water through which the bottle gourd was cooked).
Set it apart. It will likely be about 1.5 cups of inventory.
Within the steps beneath I’ve blended the cooked lauki in a blender, however if in case you have a hand-held electrical blender or immersion blender, don’t pressure the inventory. Utilizing it mix the cooked lauki within the cooker itself.
Make Lauki Soup
8. Switch the cooked and softened bottle gourd, onions and garlic in a blender.
9. Mix and puree the veggies to a fantastic consistency. You don’t want so as to add any water whereas mixing. But when wanted, can add a number of the inventory whereas mixing.
10. Switch the blended and pureed combination to the identical cooker or in a saucepan.
11. Add the inventory additionally.
12. Combine totally.
13. Taste it with ½ to 1 teaspoon of dry blended herbs and ¼ to ½ teaspoon freshly crushed black pepper. Additionally, add salt to style.
14. Combine and simmer till sizzling. No must boil the soup.
When you like and for a creamier consistency, add 1 to 2 tablespoons cream cheese or grated cheese. In Spain, they add some cream and cheese as a substitute of cream cheese.
15. Serve the Lauki Soup or Bottle Gourd Soup sizzling as is or with a toasted bread or baguette. It’s also possible to serve it with bread croutons.
Please you should definitely charge the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark beneath if in case you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Lauki Soup | Bottle Gourd Soup
Lauki Soup is a creamy, nutritious soup made with bottle gourd, onions, garlic, herbs and seasonings. Bottle Gourd is often known as Lengthy Melon or Calabash in English. This Bottle Gourd Soup will be served as is or with a aspect of crusty bread or baguette.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 20 minutes
Complete Time 25 minutes
Forestall your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Making bottle gourd soup
Warmth olive oil in a 2 litre stovetop stress cooker. Add the roughly chopped onions and garlic.
Sauté stirring typically on medium warmth till onions soften.
Add chopped bottle gourd and sauté for about 1 to 2 minutes.
Pour 2 cups of water. Stir and blend.
Strain cook dinner on medium warmth for two whistles or for 9 to 10 minutes.
Let the stress drop naturally within the cooker. Then solely open the lid. Let the warmth cut back a bit and the bottle gourd items grow to be heat.
Maintain a pan or bowl beneath a colander or strainer. Pour the whole combination from the cooker into the strainer.
Gather the broth or inventory (the water through which the bottle gourd was cooked). Set it apart. It will likely be about 1.5 cups of inventory.
Switch the cooked bottle gourd, onions and garlic in a blender or meals processor.
Mix or course of the veggies to a clean and fantastic consistency.
Switch the blended and pureed combination to the identical cooker or in a saucepan.
Add the inventory additionally. Combine totally.
Taste it with the dry blended herbs and freshly crushed black pepper. Additionally, add salt as wanted.
Combine and simmer till sizzling. There is no such thing as a must boil the soup. Flip off the warmth when the soup turns into sizzling.
For a creamier consistency, optionally add 1 to 2 tablespoons cream cheese or grated cheese.
Serve Lauki Soup or Bottle Gourd Soup sizzling or heat, as is or with a toasted bread or baguette. It’s also possible to serve it with bread croutons.
- You would make the identical recipe with zucchini or courgettes.
- As an alternative of olive oil decide to make use of any neutral-flavored oil like sunflower oil. It’s also possible to use butter in case you favor.
- In case you have a hand-held electrical blender or immersion blender, don’t pressure the inventory. Utilizing a hand-held electrical blender, mix the cooked bottle gourd within the cooker itself.
- Don’t use bitter tasting bottle gourd as this can be very dangerous. First style the bottle gourd from each the edges of the gourd. If it tastes bitter, trash it.
Making Calabash Soup in Prompt Pot
- It’s also possible to decide to cook dinner the bottle gourd within the Prompt Pot. First sauté the onions and garlic utilizing the sauté possibility.
- Add the chopped bottle gourd and water. Stir to combine.
- Strain cook dinner on excessive for 3 minutes utilizing handbook or stress cook dinner mode.
- Fast launch the stress after 5 minutes and comply with the recipe as talked about above.
Cooking in a pot on the stovetop
- The recipe can be made in a pot on the stovetop. First sauté the onions and garlic with olive oil.
- Add chopped bottle gourd and water.
- Cowl and simmer for 12 to fifteen minutes or till the bottle gourd is tender. Verify a number of occasions when the veggies are cooking. If the water dries up, add some extra water.
- When the bottle gourd items are softened, let the soup combination grow to be heat. Select to mix the veggies utilizing an immersion blender. Or pressure the bottle gourd and reserve the inventory. Mix the softened bottle gourd in a blender or meals processor. Then comply with the recipe as talked about above.
Lauki Soup | Bottle Gourd Soup
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 128 Energy from Fats 99
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 3g19%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 7g
Ldl cholesterol 10mg3%
Vitamin A 133IU3%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin B12 1µg17%
Vitamin C 4mg5%
Vitamin D 1µg7%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Ok 11µg10%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 11µg3%
* P.c Each day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie food regimen.
This Lauki Soup recipe from the archives first printed in August 2011 has been republished and up to date on December 2022.