Buttermilk is a well-liked Indian beverage which has many variations all through the size and breadth of our nation. Majjiga or Sambaram or Neer Mor a.okay.a Neer Moru or Neer Majjige is a scrumptious variant of a spiced and salty buttermilk well-known throughout South India. This one mainly is an everyday buttermilk product of curd or dahi (yogurt) and water, which is spiced after which tempered too. Makes for an equally refreshing summer time drink with cooling and digestive properties.
About Majjiga or Sambaram
Majjiga is a Telugu time period which when translated to English merely means Buttermilk. This drink can be referred to as Sambaram (or Sambharam) in Malayalam language.
Neer Mor is a Tamil time period which when translated to English means ‘water’ (Neer) and ‘buttermilk (Mor). Therefore, when put collectively the beverage merely means a skinny, watery kind of buttermilk which is tempered with spices.
There are different substances too added on this recipe, which makes it a spiced model as in comparison with the common buttermilk.
Many of the areas in India have their very own method of making ready this drink. In North India, it’s referred to as as ‘Chaas/Chaach or Mattha.’ On this North Indian variant recipe of mine, I’ve shared two additional variations named the Masala Chaas and Pudina Chaas.
Then, in Maharashtra, Western India it’s referred to as as ‘taak’. The South Indian variations are this Neer Mor in Tamil Nadu, Neer Majjige in Karnataka, Sambaram or Moru Vellam in Kerala and Majjiga in Andhra Pradesh.
Neer Mor is an excellent well-liked beverage in South India in the course of the summer time season in addition to in the course of the Hindu competition of Ram Navami. This, together with Kosambari and one other refreshing drink Panakam are provided as naivedyam or prasad to Lord Rama. Publish which, it’s served to the devotees as effectively.
This specific beverage can be a really wholesome various to your aerated delicate drinks which are out there available in the market. It acts as a coolant for the physique and has digestive properties. Thus, is helpful for human consumption, particularly in the course of the sweltering summer time season.
About My Recipe
Neer Mor has been an everyday favourite at my place, whereas I used to be rising up. This Sambaram is thus, from my mom’s recipe e book, which is without doubt one of the most most well-liked summer time drinks with my people, even until in the present day.
Other than curd and water being the first substances, inexperienced chilies are added on this Neer Mor to offer the beverage some warmth and spiciness. You possibly can skip the inexperienced chili and might add some black pepper as an alternative.
The ginger additionally imparts earthy tones to the beverage. Some roasted cumin powder added to the moru additionally enhances its style. I desire the Neer Mor with a tempering of mustard seeds and asafoetida (hing). Nonetheless, you may select to not mood this Sambaram drink.
There are a lot of variations of making ready the Neer Mor. We often mix every thing in a blender. However it’s also possible to use a wood churner, churn the yogurt after which add the herbs and spices.
I’ve used curd to make the buttermilk. However word that you would additionally use the buttermilk that separates after churning cultured cream whereas making Butter.
You possibly can serve Majjiga as an appetizer, only a cooling drink or have it submit your principal meals.
Learn how to make Sambaram
Mix Curd (Yogurt)
1. Take 1 cup curd in a blender or grinder jar.
2. Add 1 teaspoon roughly chopped ginger, ½ to 1 teaspoon chopped inexperienced chillies and 6 to 7 curry leaves.
As an alternative of inexperienced chilies, you may add ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder.
3. Add salt as required.
4. Add 1 cup water.
5. Mix until easy. A little bit of butter getting churned after the mixing and floating on high is ok and does tastes good.
6. Add 2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander leaves. Combine very effectively.
Do chop the coriander leaves very finely. At this step, it’s also possible to roasted cumin powder.
Word: You possibly can cease right here and benefit from the Sambaram drink with out the additional tempering steps.
In case you desire some onions, add 1 tablespoon of finely chopped pearl onions or small onions or shallots and blend with the Sambaram drink. It’s also possible to add some finely chopped kaffir lime leaves or lime leaves.
7. Now pour the Neer Majjige in a bowl or pan. Test the style and consistency. For a thinner consistency, you may add some extra water. Add salt, in the event you really feel it’s much less.
8. Warmth 1 teaspoon oil in a small pan. Add ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds and allow them to crackle. Hold the warmth to a low.
9. As soon as the mustard seeds crackle, add a small pinch of asafoetida (hing). Stir after which rapidly change off the warmth.
10. Pour the tempering together with the oil within the Neer Moru. Combine very effectively.
11. Now you can add some ice cubes, in the event you like and serve Neer Mor or refrigerate and serve later.
If providing to deities or making ready for Ram Navami, then chorus from tasting.
- You possibly can alter the amount of herbs and spices as per your alternative and necessities.
- As an alternative of mixing every thing, simply mix the curd after which add finely chopped ginger, inexperienced chilies and curry leaves.
- You could possibly additionally make this recipe with buttermilk that separates whereas churning cultured cream when making butter.
- To make the Neer Majjige, it’s also possible to use a hand churner or wired whisk to mix the substances. A little bit of butter getting churned after the mixing and floating on high is alright and does give a creamy mouthfeel.
- You may make a thinner consistency by including extra water.
- As an alternative of inexperienced chilies, you may add ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder. Some roasted cumin powder can be added when you’re including the finely chopped coriander leaves.
- For a gluten free model of this beverage, skip asafoetida.
- You possibly can simply double or triple this recipe to make extra of this salty and savory Sambaram drink.
Extra Indian Summer season Drinks To Attempt!
Please you’ll want to price the recipe within the recipe card or depart a remark beneath when you’ve got made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Majjiga | Sambaram | Neer Mor
Majjiga or Sambaram or Neer Mor a.okay.a Neer Moru or Neer Majjige is a scrumptious variant of a spiced and salty buttermilk well-known throughout South India. This recipe variant is made with curd (yogurt) and water, which is later spiced after which tempered. It makes for an equally refreshing summer time drink with digestive properties.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 0 minutes
Complete Time 10 minutes
Stop your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
In a blender jar – take the curd (yogurt), chopped ginger, inexperienced chilies, curry leaves and salt as required.
Add 1 cup water. Mix very effectively. Some butter floating on high is ok and tastes good.
Pour the spiced buttermilk in a bowl or pan. Add 2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander leaves. Combine and preserve apart.
Warmth oil in a small pan or a tadka pan.
When the oil turns into scorching, decrease the warmth. Add mustard seeds and allow them to crackle.
As soon as they crackle, then add a pinch of asafoetida (hing). Combine after which rapidly flip off the warmth.
Pour the tempering combination within the Neer Mor. Combine effectively.
- You possibly can serve Majjiga instantly or chill it within the fridge and serve later. Optionally in the event you like, just a few ice cubes can be added if serving instantly.
Serve any leftovers within the fridge for 1 day solely.
- You may make this drink with the buttermilk that’s obtained when cultured cream is churned to make butter.
- You possibly can add much less or extra of the herbs and spices as per your alternative.
- The consistency could be made extra skinny by including extra water.
- As an alternative of mixing every thing, you may choose to only mix the yogurt after which later add the finely chopped ginger, inexperienced chilies and curry leaves.
- For mixing, it’s also possible to use a hand churner or a wired whisk.
- For a gluten free model of this drink, skip asafoetida.
- The recipe could be doubled or tripled.
Majjiga | Sambaram | Neer Mor
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 105 Energy from Fats 54
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 3g19%
Ldl cholesterol 16mg5%
Vitamin A 262IU5%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 35mg175%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin B12 1µg17%
Vitamin C 63mg76%
Vitamin D 1µg7%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Ok 1µg1%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 361µg90%
* % Each day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie weight-reduction plan.
This Sambaram recipe from the archives, initially revealed in April 2017 has been up to date and republished on February 2023.