Maladu or Maa Laddu a.ok.a Maa Ladoo is without doubt one of the common sweets in Tamil Nadu, South India. This ladoo selection is made with simply 3 components viz roasted Bengal gram flour, ghee and sugar. Domestically, the candy is known as Pottukadalai Urundai because the Tamil phrase ‘Pottukadalai’ means roasted Bengal gram which is floor and used on this recipe. That is a simple to make and pleasant ladoo, which is normally ready throughout festivals like Diwali.
Since there are a handful of components used to make this Maa Laddu, it’s the superb selection of a candy or snack throughout Diwali or another festive events. You possibly can shortly put together these ladoos, serve and relish with mates, household or visitors.
With solely 3 predominant components, roasted Bengal gram or chana dal, ghee, sugar and a few flavorings like cardamom, floor nutmeg and beautiful golden raisins, the Maladu is sort of a deal with in itself. Not simply festivals, you possibly can take pleasure in these at residence on common days as effectively.
Since roasted chana dal is floor is used on this Maa Laddu recipe, don’t confuse it with the fundamental Besan Ladoo. As each these have a singular style of their very own. Ghee used within the Maladu recipe mainly helps in binding.
Vegans could make Maa Laddu with coconut oil as an alternative of ghee. However doing so, will go away a coconuty aftertaste within the ladoos. In case you are good with it, then go forward and switch the unique recipe right into a vegan pleasant one.
Maladu will get prepared inside quarter-hour. Together with being tasty, these are nutritious too. So, competition or not, make this fabulous candy snack at residence and luxuriate in!
How one can make Maladu
1. Take 1 cup roasted chana dal (roasted Bengal gram) in a dry grinder or espresso grinder.
2. Grind to a wonderful powder and sift it in a large bowl or pan.
3. Powder ½ cup sugar with seeds from 3 inexperienced cardamoms in a dry grinder. Sift it too in the identical pan. Additionally, add 1 pinch of nutmeg powder to this combination.
4. Warmth 1 tablespoon ghee in a small pan. Add 10 to 12 chopped cashews and fry until golden. Take away and preserve apart.
5. In the identical ghee, add 1 tablespoon golden raisins and fry until they swell.
6. Add the fried cashews and raisins together with the ghee to the bottom chana dal-sugar combination.
7. Soften the remaining 3 tablespoons ghee in the identical pan on a low warmth.
8. Pour this melted ghee into the bottom chana dal and sugar combination.
9. Combine with a spatula.
10. Preserve this pan on low warmth and roast the combination for two to three minutes, stirring repeatedly. Flip off warmth and put aside to chill.
11. When the combination is heat or cooled sufficient so that you can deal with, then make small or medium measurement ladoos from the combination.
Serve Maladu or retailer in an hermetic field.
- Chana dal: Roasted chana dal softens and will get rancid shortly. So, when utilizing for this recipe, ensure that it’s recent and never smelling/tasting rancid. It ought to have a beautiful nutty style. If the dal is gentle, roast for some minutes in a pan/skillet after which use it for grinding.
- Ghee: To make Maa Laddu, use premium high quality ghee. Bets to make use of selfmade ghee.
- Binding: Whether or not the ladoo binds simply or not will depend on the standard of ghee. If Maladu doesn’t bind simply and seem floury/dry, add just a few tablespoons of heat ghee. Combine after which form into ladoos.
If ladoos are falling aside and never holding the form, refrigerate the combination for about 20 minutes. Then, take out from the fridge and form the combination into correct ladoos.
- Dry fruits: No cashews or raisins at residence? Use almonds or pistachios in your recipe, as an alternative. You possibly can even make plain Maladu with none of the nuts or raisins.
- Vegan choices: To veganize the recipe, use coconut oil or a vegan butter instead of ghee. When utilizing coconut oil, there’ll be a style of it within the ladoos. Be ready for that.
- Scaling: Double or triple the portions simply to make a bigger batch.
Please make sure you price the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark beneath in case you have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Maladu Recipe | Maa Laddu | Roasted Gram Ladoo
Maladu or Maa Laddu (Pottukadalai Ladoo) is fast South Indian recipe of ladoo created from roasted gram or roasted chana dal flour. Maladu is made with simply 3 predominant components – roasted gram flour, ghee and sugar.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 2 minutes
Whole Time 12 minutes
Forestall your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
First powder the chana dal in a dry grinder or espresso grinder to a wonderful powder consistency.
Sieve the bottom chana dal.
Powder the sugar with the cardamom seeds.
Sieve the powdered sugar additionally in the identical bowl.
Add the grated nutmeg too.
Combine the sifted chana dal flour and powdered sugar completely to an excellent mixtute.
Fry cashews in 1 tablespoon of ghee.
Take away and add them to the chana dal flour and powdered sugar combination within the bowl.
Now in the identical ghee fry the raisins until plump.
Add the raisins together with ghee to the flour and sugar combination.
In the identical pan warmth up the remaining 3 tablespoons of ghee and add it to the ladoo combination.
Preserve the ladoo combination pan on low warmth and sauté for two to three minutes stirring continuous. Change off warmth and let the combination cool.
When the combination has turn out to be heat or cooled sufficient so that you can deal with the ladoo combination, then make small or medium sized ladoos.
Serve maladu or preserve them saved in an air tight container. They may keep good for 7 to 10 days.
- Ghee: Use good high quality or ideally selfmade ghee to make maladu.
- Chana dal: Roasted chana dal will get rancid or softens shortly. Test that the roasted chana dal is recent and never smelling or tasting rancid. It ought to have a beautiful nutty style. If the dal has softened, then roast for a few minutes in a pan or skillet, earlier than you grind them.
- Binding: Relying on the standard of ghee, the ladoo can bind simply or not. If the maladu don’t bind and look dry or floury, then add just a few tablespoons of heat ghee. Combine and kind ladoo. If the ladoo disintegrate or don’t maintain its form, then preserve the ladoo combination within the fridge for 20 minutes. Take away from the fridge later after which it is possible for you to to form them.
- Nuts: For those who would not have cashews or raisins, make maladu with almonds or pistachios. You too can omit including the nuts and raisins solely.
- Scaling: The recipe might be doubled or tripled simply to make a big batch.
- Vegan possibility: Use vegan butter or coconut oil. With coconut oil, the style and taste of the oil will likely be felt within the ladoo.
Maladu Recipe | Maa Laddu | Roasted Gram Ladoo
Quantity Per Serving (1 maladu)
Energy 160 Energy from Fats 54
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 3g19%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 1g
Ldl cholesterol 13mg4%
Vitamin A 3IU0%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 1mg1%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Ok 1µg1%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 1µg0%
* P.c Day by day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie eating regimen.
This Maladu recipe from the archives first printed in October 2013 has been up to date and republished on December 2022.