Malai Kofta is a scrumptious dish of fried balls of potato and paneer in a wealthy and creamy gentle gravy made with candy onions and tomatoes. This melt-in-your-mouth recipe is a labor of affection, however one that’s properly value it. Be taught to make this particular Indian meal with me! I’ll present you ways with step-by-step pictures and video.
What’s Malai Kofta
‘Malai’ means cream and ‘Kofta’ are fried balls of assorted elements, widespread not solely in Indian delicacies, but in addition in Center Japanese, Balkan and Asian meals as properly.
As an Indian and a vegetarian, the most typical kinds of kofta that I’ve encountered are made with potatoes and blended veg. That stated, different koftas typically contains numerous meats and could be regarded as much like Italian meatballs or Center Japanese kebabs.
Malai kofta is likely one of the most sought-after Indian dishes in eating places world wide, and for good cause. The dish requires lots of effort to make, however ultimately, it’s all value it. On this scrumptious restaurant model malai kofta recipe, the kofta are made with paneer and potatoes.
Crisp on the skin and heavenly clean on the within, these tasty fried dumplings are dunked in a clean, mildly candy and lighted spiced curry. The mix of the kofta with the curry tastes superior. You’ll simply should attempt it to search out out!
Why This Kofta Recipe Works
There are lots of variations of malai kofta recipes. This, nevertheless, is likely one of the finest malai paneer kofta you may make at residence. Belief me once I say: this recipe is for retains.
On this recipe, the curry gravy is created from floor cashew paste, onion paste and tomato puree. The cashew paste makes the curry wealthy and creamy. I additionally add some cream for an expensive style as many instances this dish is made for particular events or events. However you may skip the cream if you need.
The kofta themselves are extremely tender with a consistency that’s nothing in need of beautiful. Crispy golden brown on the skin, with a delicious, melt-in-your-mouth inside, these dumplings are nothing in need of a present.
Whereas this recipe makes about 7 to eight paneer kofta, with the curry it’s greater than sufficient to feed 3 to 4 individuals. Let me inform you that Malai kofta is a wealthy and heavy meal, so 1 – 2 kofta must be sufficient per serving.
I don’t find out about you, however all this discuss paneer kofta is making me HUNGRY! Let’s get to cooking, we could?
How you can Make Malai Kofta
The prep work is time intensive, so plan forward earlier than making the recipe. You want to make the gravy base and the kofta.
For the gravy you want onion paste, cashew paste and tomato paste. Cashew paste and tomato purée could be prepped forward and refrigerated for a day.
You possibly can select to make and form the kofta combination a day earlier than and refrigerate them to ease your work. That is what I do on events. So subsequent day you’ll solely must fry the kofta and make the gravy.
Put together Kofta
1. First boil 2 medium to giant potatoes (200 grams) in a pan, Immediate pot or a stress cooker till fork tender or knife tender. Right here I’ve boiled the potatoes in a stress cooker overlaying them with water for 4 to five whistles on medium warmth.
2. When the potatoes change into heat or cool, peel them and grate them in a bowl. Use a field grater or a hand-held grater.
3. Add the next listed elements to the mashed potatoes:
- 100 grams grated paneer or 1 cup grated paneer
- ¼ teaspoon crimson chili powder (or cayenne pepper or paprika)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- salt as required
4. Subsequent add in 2 tablespoons cornflour (cornstarch) or tapioca starch and three tablespoons almond flour or high quality almond meal.
TIP: Nut free? Don’t fear! As a substitute of almond flour, you need to use 2 tablespoons milk powder OR 3 tablespoons khoya (mawa or dried evaporated milk solids).
5. Combine very well, till the combination is uniform and kind a neat dough. Cowl and put aside.
Fill and Form Kofta
6. In the meantime rinse in case you want and finely chop 10 to 12 cashews and 1 tablespoon raisins. Put aside. This would be the sweet-tangy and crunchy stuffing for the kofta.
In case you are not a fan of cashews or raisins, select to skip the stuffing or use your favourite nuts.
7. Portion the kofta combination and form into medium sized balls.
8. Take one kofta ball and flatten it along with your palms. Place a small portion of the cashews and raisins stuffing on flattened kofta dough. If it feels sticky, rub some oil in your palms earlier than stuffing and shaping the kofta.
9. Convey the sides collectively and form right into a neat ball. Be certain that the stuffing stays within the heart.
10. Stuff and form all of the kofta balls. Cowl with a lid and put aside at room temperature or refrigerate for half-hour.
Put together Kofta Gravy Components
11. Now put together every the cashew paste, onion paste and tomato purée. Put aside. For this step, I at all times use the Magic Bullet as a result of not like a blender or chutney grinder, it’s fast and really simple to scrub.
- For onion paste – Roughly chop 2 medium to giant onions. Measure and it’s best to get about 1 cup heaped chopped onions. Add in a blender. With out including any water mix to a high quality consistency. You probably have issue mixing them, then add in a number of tablespoons of water. Switch the onion paste or onion puree to a different bowl and put aside.
- For cashew paste – Soak 12 to fifteen tablespoons of cashews in scorching water for 20 to half-hour. Drain the water, add the soaked cashews in the identical blender with 2 to three tablespoons water or as wanted to make a thick or medium-thick high quality paste. Put aside. For those who measure, you’ll get about 6 to 7 tablespoons of cashew paste. Take away it from the blender in a bowl and put aside.
- For tomato puree – Chop 2 medium to giant tomatoes. Guarantee to incorporate tomatoes which have a sweet-tangy style and never very bitter. Add them in the identical blender and mix to a high quality puree. Once you measure the puree, it must be 1 cup. I like to recommend measuring the puree earlier than you start cooking so that there’s a steadiness within the flavors. If utilizing packaged tomato puree, add 1 cup of it.
12. Warmth 3 tablespoons oil in a thick-bottomed or heavy frying pan or in a wok (kadai). Add the next complete spices and fry them for a number of seconds or until they launch their aroma within the oil.
- 1 tej patta (Indian bay leaf)
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 inexperienced cardamoms
- 2 single mace strands
- 2 cloves
13. Add the ready onion paste. Remember that sautéing onion paste takes extra time. Add a number of pinches of salt to make it get cooking quicker.
14. Stirring typically sauté onion paste on a low to medium-low warmth.
15. After 9 to 10 minutes on a low to medium-low warmth, the onion paste will change into gentle golden, get cooked and go away the edges of the pan.
As you proceed to sauté, It should change into lumpy, begin gathering round itself and step by step change into golden. Stir continuous in order that the paste cooks evenly.
Whereas sautéing onions if they begin sticking onto the pan, add a number of splashes of water. Combine and deglaze eradicating the caught onion paste particles from the pan. Proceed to sauté.
16. Proceed to sauté additional for five to six minutes or till it will get browned.
17. When onion paste has change into golden add 2 teaspoons ginger-garlic paste. Combine and sauté for about 10 seconds or till uncooked aroma of ginger, garlic goes away.
18. Add the tomato purée.
19. Combine and sauté for six to 7 minutes on medium-low warmth.
20. Now add the next floor spices:
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon fennel powder – elective
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon kashmiri crimson chilli powder or paprika (or ½ teaspoon crimson chilli powder or cayenne)
21. Combine properly and sauté for 4 to five minutes.
22. Add the cashew paste.
23. Combine and sauté until the oil begins to go away the facet of the masala paste. This can take about 9 to 10 minutes on low to medium-low warmth. The paste will change into lumpy and collect round itself. It should additionally change into barely shiny and you will notice some oil releasing from the edges.
24. Add ½ to 1 teaspoon sugar and salt in keeping with style.
25. Add 2 cups of water. Mix water totally with the sautéed masala paste with a spoon or wired whisk.
26. Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes on low to medium-low warmth or till the gravy turns into thick and creamy sufficient. You must also see some oil specks on the highest layer of the gravy.
Malai kofta gravy is often clean, creamy and barely thick. You possibly can hold it barely medium-thick consistency, the best way I’ve finished.
27. Add 1 teaspoon kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves) and a pair of tablespoons gentle cream or cooking cream. Crush the dried fenugreek leaves in your palms and add. Simmer for 1 to 2 minutes extra.
You can too use 1 tablespoon heavy or whipping cream as an alternative of sunshine cream.
28. Combine properly and change off the warmth. Verify the style of the curry and add sugar or salt if wanted.
Fry Paneer Kofta
29. Earlier than shaping and frying the whole batch, verify a small tiny piece of the paneer kofta in scorching oil. If it doesn’t break or disintegrate, then you may simply fry the remaining koftas.
If it does break, then add 1 to 2 tablespoons of cornflour (cornstarch) as a binder. Combine the binder in properly, then form into koftas.
As quickly as you add this small piece of kofta, it ought to come up step by step and swiftly on prime of the oil. Which means that the oil is scorching sufficient for the kofta to be fried.
If the kofta ball stays on the backside or comes up slowly, the oil is heat. This can make your kofta take in lots of oil and so they might disintegrate within the oil.
If it comes up too rapidly and will get browned or burnt, the oil could be very scorching. A extremely scorching oil will cook dinner the kofta from exterior however the insides might be uncooked or undercooked.
30. Warmth oil in a pan till it reaches 180 to 190 levels Celsius (356 to 374 levels Fahrenheit).
Word: You possibly can shallow fry or deep fry the kofta as you want. Right here I’ve deep-fried, however on events, I flatten the kofta to a patty/tikki form and shallow fry.
Rigorously add the paneer kofta to the new oil, being cautious to not spatter the oil.
31. When one facet turns into golden, gently flip over with a slotted spoon and fry the second facet. Fry turning over a few instances till golden on each side.
32. Take away to a paper towel lined plate. Working in batches, fry all of the paneer kofta this fashion and drain them on a paper serviette in order that the additional oil is absorbed.
Serve Malai Kofta
33. To serve, add the fried kofta to the malai gravy. Now you’ve got the choice of including the kofta to the gravy within the pan and serving instantly. Or assemble in a serving bowl to make these look good after which serve.
If planning to serve it individually, then take the new gravy in a serving bowl.
TIP: If serving malai kofta later, you may put together the gravy and the kofta and refrigerate them individually. Solely mix whereas serving. Warmth the gravy in a pan till it’s scorching. If the gravy appears to be like very thick, add a little bit of scorching water. Heat the kofta in a preheated oven for some minutes at 120 levels Celsius (250 levels Fahrenheit).
These paneer koftas are actually gentle, so in case you add them to the gravy whereas storing, they are going to break and disintegrate. So solely add them to the gravy if you end up about to serve.
34. Gently place the paneer kofta on the gravy. Pour a drizzle of cream or prime with grated paneer.
35. Garnish malai kofta with coriander leaves or mint leaves and serve with roti, naan or jeera rice, saffron rice or paratha or rumali roti.
You can too use soaked almonds as an alternative! In case you are nut free, you may decide to make use of a little bit bit extra cream within the recipe.
Whereas making the kofta, As a substitute of almond flour, use 2 tablespoons milk powder OR 3 tablespoons khoya (mawa or dried evaporated milk solids).
To make any paneer dish, it’s at all times higher to make use of home made paneer.
Malai kofta is finest served with roti, paratha, naan or roomali roti. I additionally love serving it with phulka. In case you are avoiding gluten, plain steamed basmati rice or jeera rice goes properly with it.
Historical past of Kofta
Primarily a spiced meatball, ‘kofta’ is believed to have a Turko-Persian lineage which dates again to the 11th century. The Persian phrase ‘kufta,’ that means ‘to grind,’ is the place the phrase ‘kofta’ comes from. Through the years, koftas turned vegetarian and even vegan.
A number of the most primitive Arab cookbooks are stated to have a point out of kofta recipes in them. In keeping with meals historians, the kofta reached India with the Mughals. The particular Nargisi Kofta was served within the royal courts that point. The British Scotch Eggs are believed to be impressed by this explicit Indian kofta dish.
Similar to this Lauki Kofta and widespread Malai Kofta, India has a fair proportion of regional and nationwide variations in koftas. From various kinds of meats, greens, lentils/pulses used within the making to varied shapes like spherical, cylinder or patties, the kofta has actually come off age.
Other than India and Turkey, kofta is legendary in lots of different elements of the world below completely different monikers. They’re part of the normal cuisines of Morocco, Romania, Greece, Georgia, Albania, Bulgaria, Armenia, and many others. Some genuine variations are raw too.
Please make sure to fee the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark under you probably have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Malai Kofta Recipe (Paneer Kofta)
Malai Kofta is a scrumptious recipe of fried balls of potato and paneer in a wealthy, flippantly candy, creamy gentle gravy made with onions, tomatoes, cashews and spices. This melt-in-your-mouth recipe is a labor of affection, however one that’s properly value it.
Prep Time 45 minutes
Cook dinner Time 45 minutes
Whole Time 1 hr 30 minutes
For stuffing kofta – elective
Stop your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Making paneer kofta
Combine all of the elements talked about below “For making paneer kofta” ingredient listing besides oil in a bowl.
Rinse with water in case you want and finely chop 10 to 12 cashews and 1 tablespoon raisins. Put aside. This would be the sweet-tangy and crunchy stuffing for the kofta.
Make medium sized balls from the kofta combination. If it feels sticky, rub some oil in your palms earlier than shaping the kofta.
Flatten one kofta ball flippantly along with your palms on a chopping board or a rolling board. Place a small portion of the cashews and raisins stuffing on it.
Gently bringing the sides collectively, form right into a neat ball. Rub some oil in your palms whereas shaping. Be sure that the stuffing stays within the heart of the kofta.
Fill and form all of the kofta on this method.
Cowl with a lid and put aside at room temperature or refrigerate for half-hour.
Making kofta gravy
Warmth oil in a thick bottomed or heavy pan or skillet.
Add all the entire spices and fry for a number of seconds or till the spices crackle and the oil turns into aromatic.
First add the onion paste. Stirring typically sauté the onion paste till it turns into golden. To quicken the cooking of onions, add a number of pinches of salt whenever you start to sauté the paste.
When the onion paste has change into golden, add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté for about ten seconds or till the uncooked aroma of the ginger and garlic goes away.
Add the tomato puree and sauté for six to 7 minutes on a low to medium-low warmth.
Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, fennel powder, kashmiri crimson chili powder, garam masala powder.
Combine properly and sauté for 4 to five minutes stirring typically.
Add cashew paste. Combine properly and sauté till the oil begins to go away the facet of the masala paste.
This sautéing takes about 9 to 10 minutes on low to medium-low warmth. You will notice that the paste turns into lumpy and gathers round itself. It should additionally change into barely shiny with some oil releasing on the sides.
Then add sugar and salt as per style.
Add water. Combine totally with a spoon or wired whisk.
Simmer till the gravy begins to thicken. This takes about 8 to 10 minutes on a low to medium-low warmth. The consistency of the gravy could be medium-thick to thick. When the gravy is cooked via, you’ll some oil specks on the highest of the gravy.
Lastly add the crushed dry fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi) and cream.
Combine properly and set the gravy apart. Verify the style and add extra salt or sugar if wanted.
Warmth oil in a frying pan or a wok (kadai).
Earlier than shaping and frying the whole batch, verify a small tiny piece of the paneer kofta in scorching oil. If it doesn’t break, then you may simply fry the remaining koftas.
If it does break, then add 1 to 2 tablespoons of cornflour (cornstarch) as a binder. Combine the binder in properly, then form into koftas.
The kofta must also come up swiftly but step by step within the scorching oil. This implies the oil is scorching sufficient for the kofta to be fried. If it browns too rapidly, the oil could be very scorching and if the kofta stays on the backside, the oil is heat.
Rigorously add the paneer kofta to the new oil, being cautious to not spatter the oil. The oil must be medium scorching and have a temperature of 180 to 190 levels Celsius (356 to 374 levels Fahrenheit).
When one facet turns into golden, gently flip over with a slotted spoon and fry the second facet. Fry turning over a few instances till golden on each side.
Take away with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate. Working in batches, fry all of the paneer kofta this fashion and drain them on a paper serviette in order that the additional oil is absorbed.
Serving malai kofta
If serving instantly, add the fried paneer kofta to the gravy within the pan.
Or if you wish to serve it in a greater approach, take a number of the gravy in a serving bowl. Place the kofta neatly on the gravy. Drizzle some cream or prime with grated paneer. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves or mint leaves and serve.
If serving a number of hours later, reheat the gravy till scorching. If it appears to be like very thick, add a little bit of scorching water. Heat the kofta in an oven at 120 levels Celsius or 250 levels Fahrenheit for some minutes. Place kofta on the gravy. Add the garnishes and serve.
Word that these paneer kofta are actually gentle. So in case you add them to the gravy and serve them later, they are going to break. It’s a must to serve them instantly as quickly as you add them to the gravy.
Serve malai kofta scorching or heat with roti, naan, steamed basmati rice or jeera rice.
- For finest tasting, koftas use recent home made paneer.
- Add the paneer kofta to the gravy solely if you end up about to serve.
- The recipe could be halved, or doubled or tripled.
- Use tomatoes which have a candy style. Extremely sour-tasting tomatoes will make the gravy too tangy and it turns into to tough to steadiness the tanginess.
- You possibly can alter the consistency of the gravy by including kind of. Preserve the gravy medium to a thick consistency.
Malai Kofta Recipe (Paneer Kofta)
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 539 Energy from Fats 351
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 9g56%
Polyunsaturated Fats 2g
Monounsaturated Fats 20g
Ldl cholesterol 27mg9%
Vitamin A 908IU18%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 2mg10%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin B12 1µg17%
Vitamin C 34mg41%
Vitamin D 1µg7%
Vitamin E 8mg53%
Vitamin Ok 18µg17%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 38µg10%
* P.c Each day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight loss program.
This Malai Kofta recipe publish from the weblog archives (first printed on Could 2013) has been republished and up to date on 4 June 2021.