Masala Milk or Masala Doodh, as it’s popularly referred to in India, is a sweetened flavored milk-based beverage from the Maharashtrian delicacies. This recipe can be very simple and easy to make. The preparation of this flavored milk has a mixture of nuts and some chosen spices floor right into a masala powder first, after which added to the milk leading to an fragrant and yummy drink. This beverage is often made through the Sharad Purnima or Kojagiri Purnima pageant in households throughout Maharashtra.
About Masala Milk
Your complete recipe of this Masala Milk could be divided into 3 main steps – grinding the nut-spice masala powder first adopted by boiling the milk after which ultimately mixing the ready powder, sugar and/or different flavorings to make the beverage.
Like for another dish, there could be many variations to the recipe of this Masala Milk too. Some households even have their age-old recipes handed on from era to era, which they declare to be secret. I really don’ suppose that one thing so distinctive could be completed to this recipe that may be termed as secret!
Nonetheless, my recipe consists of the fundamental necessities and the process that leads to an genuine Masala Milk. For the masala powder, I add nuts like almonds, cashews, pistachios and spices like saffron, inexperienced cardamom and cloves (non-compulsory). I additionally prefer to grate in some nutmeg within the milk to raise the flavors. This gorgeous a lot makes a beautiful Masala Doodh.
Other than making the Masala Milk throughout Kojagiri Poornima pageant, I additionally make it on common days at dwelling. Particularly, throughout winters, this milk works wonders for the physique and you need to eat it through the chilly season.
Extra On The Recipe
I make Masala Milk in a simple approach, one which could be completed immediately with none pre-work or preparation. I grind the nuts to a semi-coarse powder. Alternatively, the nuts may also be chopped after which added.
If you happen to like having Masala Milk usually, like I do, then you possibly can consult with this Milk Masala Powder recipe and hold the powder prepared to be used. Simply make in bulk and use it everytime you need to have the Masala Doodh. One other favourite recipe on related traces is that this Badam Milk. A should strive!
Like I mentioned earlier, Masala Milk is admittedly apt to have through the winter season because the nuts or dry fruits in it assist in maintaining the physique heat. In case you are making it for summers, then blanch the dry fruits in order that their warmth is diminished.
Primarily for winters, I additionally add a number of cloves within the recipe. This may be skipped too. In summers, you possibly can even add different cooling components like rose petals. Nuts and dry fruits of your selection could be added and a few variations could be completed within the recipe. You possibly can halve or double the recipe too.
The way to make Masala Milk
Make Masala Powder
1. Take 10 almonds, 10 cashews and 15 unsalted pistachios in a dry mixer or dry grinder. You possibly can rinse the nuts earlier than, if you need.
2. Add 10 to 12 saffron strands, seeds from 4 inexperienced cardamoms and a pair of cloves (non-compulsory). Cloves could be skipped. I add them after I put together Masala Milk throughout winters.
3. Grind to a semi coarse powder. A couple of items of the nuts shall be seen. If making for toddlers, then grind the nuts to a high-quality powder. Maintain apart.
4. Take 3 cups milk in a saucepan.
5. Maintain the pan on stovetop and start to warmth on low to medium warmth.
6. Whereas the milk is getting heated, stir often, in order that it doesn’t burn from the underside.
7. Convey the milk to a boil. Take care when the milk begins to boil, in order that it doesn’t spill from the pan. Stir or cut back the warmth to keep away from the milk from spilling out.
Make Masala Milk
8. When the milk involves a boil, add the ready nuts and spices powder.
9. Take a grater and a nutmeg.
10. Instantly grate about 1 to 2 pinches of the nutmeg within the milk. Keep away from including an excessive amount of nutmeg. It’s also possible to use readymade nutmeg powder, as an alternative of grating it.
11. Subsequent, add 3 to 4 tablespoons sugar. Add kind of sugar, as per your style necessities.
12. Stir and blend in order that the sugar dissolves.
13. Simmer for 4 to five minutes extra, after including sugar. Stir often.
14. Serve Masala Milk scorching or heat. It’s also possible to refrigerate Masala Doodh and serve later.
- You possibly can add nuts and dry fruits of your selection. Simply don’t add dates, raisins, dried plums, and so forth. because the milk can curdle with these.
- Cloves are good on this recipe, particularly for winters. In summers, you possibly can skip including them.
- In case you are making this beverage for toddlers, then grind the dry fruits to a high-quality powder. It’s also possible to pressure the masala milk to take away any high-quality bits or chunks from the drink. A semi-coarse powder is nice sufficient if making for adults or grown-up youngsters.
- You possibly can add readymade nutmeg powder as an alternative of grating the nutmeg within the milk. Be sure to not add an excessive amount of of nutmeg.
- The amount of sugar could be adjusted in accordance with the extent of sweetness you need in your Masala Doodh.
- Whereas serving, you possibly can garnish the milk with some sliced nuts or dry fruits.
Please you’ll want to fee this recipe within the recipe card under when you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Masala Milk | Masala Doodh
Masala milk is sweetened flavored milk beverage from the Maharashtrian delicacies. A mixture of nuts and some spices are added which makes the masala doodh fragrant in addition to scrumptious
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook dinner Time 10 minutes
Complete Time 15 minutes
Forestall your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Making masala powder
Take almonds, cashews, pistachios in a dry mixer or dry grinder or espresso grinder. You possibly can rinse the nuts with water when you favor.
Add saffron strands, seeds from the inexperienced cardamoms and cloves (non-compulsory). Cloves could be skipped.
Grind to a semi coarse powder. A couple of items of nuts shall be seen. If making for toddlers, then grind the dry fruits to a high-quality powder. Put aside.
Take milk in a saucepan.
Maintain the pan on stovetop and on a low to medium warmth.
Often stir the milk when it’s getting heated, in order that it doesn’t burn from the underside.
Convey the milk to a boil. Take care when the milk begins to boil, in order that it doesn’t spill from the pan. Stir or cut back the flame to keep away from the milk from spilling out.
Making masala milk
When the milk involves a boil, then add the bottom masala milk powder.
Instantly grate about 1 to 2 pinches of nutmeg powder within the milk. Keep away from including an excessive amount of nutmeg.
Subsequent add sugar. Add sugar as per your style necessities. So sugar could be simply added much less or extra.
Stir and blend in order that the sugar dissolves.
Simmer for 4 to five minutes extra after including sugar. Stir often.
Serve masala milk scorching or heat. It’s also possible to chill masala doodh and serve later.
- Recipe could be halved or doubled
- Whereas serving masala milk, you possibly can garnish with some sliced nuts or dry fruits
- Nuts and dry fruits of your selection could be added. Simply don’t add dates, raisins, dried plums and so forth because the milk can curdle.
Masala Milk | Masala Doodh
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 281 Energy from Fats 126
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 5g31%
Polyunsaturated Fats 2g
Monounsaturated Fats 5g
Ldl cholesterol 29mg10%
Vitamin A 410IU8%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.2mg13%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.4mg24%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 0.2mg10%
Vitamin B12 1µg17%
Vitamin C 1mg1%
Vitamin D 3µg20%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Okay 3µg3%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 6µg2%
* % Each day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight loss program.
This Masala Milk recipe put up from the archives, first printed in November 2017 has been up to date and republished on October 2022.