There’s something about contemporary inexperienced greens with an innate bitter style. Although, this taste profile could also be repulsive for a lot of, for me, it really works rather well – be it karela (bitter gourd), neem, methi leaves (contemporary fenugreek) or others. Additionally, I do know that bitter veggies are brimming with well being advantages. Therefore, I all of the extra make it a degree to incorporate them in my every day eating regimen. One such easy, nutritious, but scrumptious recipe is that this Maharashtrian type Methi Bhaji or Methi Sabji. Made with contemporary methi leaves, potato, herbs, spices and coconut – it is a tasty Methi ki Bhaji.
About Methi Bhaji
In easy phrases, ‘methi’ is contemporary fenugreek leaves and the Marathi phrase ‘bhaji’ refers to a ‘dryish vegetable preparation or sabji.’ This vegan dish is the quickest approach you may put your contemporary produce of methi leaves into use and make a homely but luxurious dish on your lunch or dinner meals.
This Methi Bhaji can also be a kind of recipes that I’ve grown up having and my mom would usually pack it in my tiffin field together with chapatis. This was a favourite tiffin meal each whereas learning after which whereas I used to be working. In Maharashtrian delicacies, it’s also popularly known as methi chi bhaji and in Hindi you may name it methi ki bhaji.
How fundamental and easy can a recipe get? Th finest instance is that this Methi Bhaji. In addition to these leafy greens, the recipe consists of potato, onion, garlic inexperienced chili, turmeric powder and asafoetida. The coconut is simply the best finale you may have on this dish, because it imparts an nutty taste in addition to a subtly sweetness to it.
Nonetheless, in case you are packing this Methi Bhaji in tiffin and staying in a sizzling local weather, then don’t add coconut. If getting ready for residence, then you may add the coconut with out considering twice. Rather than contemporary coconut, you can even use desiccated coconut.
Extra On My Recipe
This Methi Bhaji is a kind of recipes I make at instances with contemporary fenugreek leaves to pair with chapatis or as a aspect dish with dal-rice. Belief me, with a lentil-rice mixture, this sabzi made with methi leaves is tremendous comforting.
Normally, I pluck the methi leaves and hold them saved in a field within the fridge. So, after I need to put together any dish with it, I simply use the leaves as required and hold the remaining again within the fridge.
This manner, it is extremely helpful and saves time whenever you need to use contemporary fenugreek leaves in any recipe, like this Methi Bhaji.
Like I stated earlier, this methi chi bhaji recipe may be very easy and straightforward to organize. I’ve added potatoes in it as I just like the flavors collectively, however you may skip them too.
This recipe serves one to 2 parts and could be packed within the tiffin. You’ll be able to simply double the proportions.
Serve Methi Bhaji with roti, phulka or as a aspect dish with amti-bhaat, dal-rice or varan-bhaat. Few of my different favourite recipes with contemporary fenugreek leaves or methi are this Methi Pulao, Methi Paratha, Methi Matar Malai and Methi Dal.
Methods to make Methi Bhaji
1. Rinse 3 cups methi leaves very properly in water a number of instances. Drain all of the water. Then, chop the methi leaves.
Additionally chop 1 medium onion, 1 medium potato, 1 inexperienced chili and three to 4 small to medium garlic cloves. Preserve apart. Chop the potatoes in small cubes, in order that they prepare dinner shortly.
Make Methi Bhaji
2. In a pan, warmth 2 tablespoons oil. Add chopped onion (½ cup chopped onions).
3. Sauté the onions until translucent. Stir usually.
4. Then, add chopped inexperienced chili and finely chopped garlic. Combine properly and sauté for 3 to 4 seconds.
5. Subsequent, add 1 pinch turmeric powder and 1 pinch asafoetida (hing).
6. Combine very properly.
7. Add the chopped potatoes.
8. Combine and sauté the potatoes for two to three minutes.
9. Then, add the chopped methi leaves (roughly 50 grams or 3 cups fenugreek leaves).
10. Combine very properly after which season with salt as required.
Prepare dinner Methi ki Bhaji
11. Cowl the pan with a rimmed lid and add water on the lid. Prepare dinner on low warmth. This method creates steam within the pan and helps in cooking the greens.
12. Whereas the Methi ki Bhaji is cooking, examine. Rigorously take away the lid as it is extremely sizzling. If the bhaji appears dry, add some extra water on the lid. Cowl and proceed to prepare dinner.
13. Prepare dinner until the potatoes are softened.
14. As soon as the potatoes are carried out, add 3 tablespoons contemporary grated coconut. If the bhaji has a number of moisture or water, prepare dinner it with out the lid until the liquids dry up after which add coconut.
15. Combine very properly and sauté for a minute.
16. Serve Maharashtrian type Methi Bhaji sizzling or heat with chapatis, phulka, plain paratha or as a aspect dish with amti-bhaat, dal-rice or varan-bhaat.
- You’ll be able to skip including contemporary coconut, in order for you. The potatoes can be skipped, if wanted.
- When you don’t have contemporary coconut, you may even use desiccated coconut within the recipe.
- To make the dish gluten-free, skip including asafoetida (hing) or use a gluten-free asafoetida.
- If including potatoes, chopping them in small cubes will prepare dinner them shortly.
- Whereas cooking the bhaji, if it appears dry, then add some extra water on the lid. Then, cowl and proceed to prepare dinner.
- The Methi Bhaji recipe could be simply scaled to double or triple the portions.
Please remember to fee this recipe within the recipe card under you probably have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Methi Bhaji | Methi ki Bhaji
This Maharashtrian Methi Bhaji is an easy, wholesome and engaging recipe made with contemporary fenugreek leaves, onions, potatoes, spices and coconut. The Methi ki Bhaji pairs properly with roti/chapati or a aspect of steamed rice and dal.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 20 minutes
Complete Time 25 minutes
Forestall your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Rinse 3 cups methi leaves very properly in water. Drain all of the water. Then chop the methi leaves.
Additionally chop the onion, potato, inexperienced chili and garlic cloves. Preserve apart.
Chop the potatoes in small cubes in order that they prepare dinner shortly.
Making methi ki bhaji
In a pan warmth oil. As soon as the oil turns into sizzling, add the chopped onions. Sauté the onions stirring usually until translucent on low to medium warmth.
Then add the chopped inexperienced chilies and garlic. Combine properly and saute for 3 to 4 seconds.
Subsequent add 1 pinch of turmeric powder (haldi) and 1 pinch of asaofetida (hing). Combine very properly.
Add the chopped potatoes. Combine after which start to saute the potatoes for two to three minutes on medium-low warmth.
Then add the chopped methi leaves.
Combine very properly after which season with salt as required.
Cooking methi bhaji
Cowl the pan with a rimmed lid and add water on the lid. Prepare dinner on a low warmth. This method creates steam within the pan and helps in cooking the veggies.
In between do examine whereas the bhaji is cooking. Rigorously take away the lid as it is extremely sizzling. If the bhaji appears dry then add some extra water on the lid. Cowl and proceed to prepare dinner.
As soon as the potatoes are carried out, then add 3 tablespoons coconut. If the bhaji has a number of liquids or water, then prepare dinner it with out the lid until the liquids dry up after which add coconut.
Combine very properly and saute for a minute.
Serve methi bhaji sizzling or heat with chapati or phulka or plain paratha or as a aspect dish with dal-rice or with any Indian meal.
- You’ll be able to skip including contemporary coconut in order for you or swap the contemporary coconut with desiccated coconut.
- To make the dish gluten-free skip including asafoetida or use a gluten-free asafoetida.
- Bear in mind to make use of contemporary tender fenugreek leaves. Don’t use the stems as they will have a grassy texture when cooked in preparations like these.
- You’ll be able to simply scale this recipe.
Methi Bhaji | Methi ki Bhaji
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 187 Energy from Fats 99
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 2g13%
Polyunsaturated Fats 0.4g
Monounsaturated Fats 8g
Vitamin A 3IU0%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.1mg7%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.04mg2%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 0.3mg15%
Vitamin C 20mg24%
Vitamin E 4mg27%
Vitamin Ok 2µg2%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 20µg5%
* % Every day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie eating regimen.
This Methi Bhaji recipe from the archives first revealed on April 2017 has been republished and up to date on November 2022.