If you’re a fan of the North Indian type Kadhi, then you might be positively in for a deal with with this South Indian type Mor Kulambu as effectively. A straightforward to make, hassle-free recipe, Mor Kuzhambu is mainly a curd (yogurt) or buttermilk-based sauce or curry. Normally at dwelling, I make 2 variations of this curd-based kulambu – one is the recipe that’s shared on this publish, which additionally makes use of a coconut paste and one other, which is a fast and on the spot model, much like a kadhi. Give this a attempt, for beautiful South Indian flavors in a special type.
About Mor Kulambu
A kuzhambu or kulambu, particularly this Mor Kuzhambu is considered one of my household’s favourite methods of consuming a curd or yogurt-based dish. As a lot as we’re eager on having a kadhi in our lunch meals, the identical is with this Mor Kulambu. Paired with steamed rice, it actually makes for a nutritious and deliciously comforting meal.
Along with this Mor Kuzhambu, I’ve shared just a few different variations of South Indian kulambu varieties on my weblog. I’ve given the hyperlinks beneath and I counsel you to attempt every considered one of it. As a result of every of the variations are distinctive and opulent, in their very own method.
Making this Mor Kulambu is sort of straightforward, and you need to not get burdened with the marginally lengthy listing of substances. All of the extra as a result of every of those substances too are your common ones which can be part of most of our on a regular basis cooking.
To get an enhanced texture, I’ve additionally added white pumpkin or ash gourd (petha) on this explicit Mor Kuzhambu recipe. You may also use different greens like okra, potato, taro roots, brinjal, chow chow, and so forth. within the kulambu.
About My Recipe
For the freshly floor paste on this Mor Kulambu recipe, the substances added are contemporary grated coconut, pigeon pea lentils (tuvar or arhar dal), uncooked rice, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, inexperienced chilies, ginger and curry leaves. This paste, when added to the curry, additionally offers it the specified physique and mouth-feel.
Additionally, the tempering of this kulambu is de facto easy comprising of mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds (methi seeds), dried pink chilies, asafoetida and curry leaves. You need to use coconut oil or every other impartial tasting oil for the tempering.
Like I discussed earlier, whereas making the Mor Kuzhambu, you may add some veggies or skip them fully. I personally love the flavour of ash gourd or winter melon (petha or poosanikai) and okra or woman’s finger (bhindi or vendakkai) in kulambus. So, I usually make this curry with these greens.
Right here’s an inventory which supplies you choices on the right way to make a tasty kuzhambu, other than the Mor Kulambu, and with different veggies:
- Potato (aloo, urulai kizhangu) – boil or strain cook dinner. Then, peel, chop and add within the kuzhambu.
- Okra (woman finger, bhindi, vendakkai) – sauté in some oil until okra is nearly cooked. Then, add within the curd or buttermilk combination.
- Brinjal (aubergine, baingan, kathirikkai) – sauté in some oil until cooked. A little bit of water additionally may be added whereas cooking brinjals.
- Drumstick (murungakkai) – scrape or peel, chop after which cook dinner in some water until virtually finished. Relaxation much like the recipe shared right here.
- Colocasia (taro roots, arbi, seppankilangu) – boil or strain cook dinner. Then peel, chop and add to the kulambu.
- Chow chow (seemai kathirikai) – peel and boil in some water until virtually cooked. Relaxation much like the recipe shared right here.
- Spinach or amaranth leaves (keerai) – chop, blanch, mash after which add to the buttermilk combination.
How you can make Mor Kulambu
1. Take the beneath listed substances in a bowl:
- 1 tablespoon tuvar dal
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon uncooked rice
Utilizing a fantastic tea strainer rinse them. You need to use any sort of white rice. When you should not have rice, then 1 to 2 teaspoons of rice flour may be added, whereas grinding.
2. Add ¼ cup sizzling water and soak for 20 minutes.
3. Then, take the soaked substances together with the soaking water in a small grinder jar or chutney grinder.
4. Add the beneath talked about substances:
- 3 to 4 chopped inexperienced chilies
- 1 inch chopped ginger
- 5 to six curry leaves
- ¼ cup contemporary grated coconut
5. Grind to a fantastic and clean paste. Preserve apart.
Make Buttermilk Combination
6. Take 1 cup thick and barely bitter curd in a bowl or pan. Beat it until clean.
7. Add the ready paste.
8. Add 1 cup water.
9. Combine very effectively. Preserve apart.
Prepare dinner Ash Gourd
10. Rinse, peel and chop ash gourd in 0.5 to 1 inch cubes. You have to 1.5 cups of chopped ash gourd. Take the ash gourd in a pan.
11. Add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder and 1 cup water. Stir to combine.
12. Cowl the pan and preserve it on medium-low warmth on the stovetop.
13. In between, verify and provides a stir.
14. Simmer until the ash gourd cubes are virtually cooked.
Make Mor Kulambu
15. Scale back the warmth to a low or you may even flip off the hear. Then, add the ready buttermilk combination.
16. Combine totally.
17. Season with salt as per style. Combine once more.
18. Simmer the kuzhambu on low warmth. Stir often.
19. The kuzhambu has to come back to a mild simmer. When you see the kuzhambu simmering, then flip off the warmth. Cowl and preserve apart.
Mood Mor Kulambu
20. Warmth 1 to 1.5 tablespoons oil in a tadka pan or small pan. You need to use gingelly oil (oil made out of uncooked sesame seeds), sunflower oil, safflower oil and even ghee.
21. Add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds.
22. Let the mustard seeds crackle on low warmth.
23. When the mustard seeds crackle, add ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds.
24. Shortly add 1 to 2 dried pink chilies (stems and seeds eliminated).
25. Then, instantly add 7 to eight curry leaves and 1 beneficiant pinch asafoetida (hing).
26. Stir and switch off the warmth.
27. Pour the tempering within the Mor Kulambu. Cowl for five minutes and let the flavors infuse.
28. Serve Mor Kulambu with steamed rice. You’ll be able to even garnish with some chopped coriander leaves whereas serving.
- For the bottom paste, use any number of white rice that you’ve at dwelling. When you don’t have rice, then add about 1 to 2 teaspoons of rice flour whereas mixing the substances. Other than serving to in thickening, rice or rice flour additionally aids in stopping the yogurt from separating.
- Be happy to depart out including ash gourd from the recipe. Additionally, any greens of your alternative may be added. I’ve shared an inventory on the right way to cook dinner with among the mostly used veggies in a kulambu curry, within the sections above.
- For the tempering, you should use gingerly oil (oil made out of uncooked sesame seeds), sunflower oil, safflower oil and even coconut oil. In case you wish to use ghee (clarified butter), you are able to do that too.
- Scale back the variety of inexperienced chillies and pink chillies based on your preferences.
- Ensure the curd that you’re utilizing for this recipe is barely bitter and thick. It also needs to be full-fat or made with entire milk. Don’t make the recipe with toned milk curd or low-fat curd as it could separate whereas cooking.
Extra Kulambu Recipes To Attempt!
Tamil Nadu Meals
Tamil Nadu Meals
Please make sure to fee the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark beneath when you have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Mor Kulambu Recipe | Mor Kuzhambu
Mor Kulambu is a yogurt or buttermilk based mostly sauce or curry from the South Indian delicacies. This recipe has ash gourd (winter melon, petha, white pumpkin) added to the Mor Kuzhambu and likewise features a floor rice, lentils, spices and coconut paste which makes it very flavorful and engaging.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 20 minutes
Whole Time 30 minutes
For cooking white pumpkin
For tempering mor kulambu
Stop your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Take tuvar dal, coriander seeds, cumin seeds and uncooked rice in a plate or bowl.
Utilizing a fantastic tea strainer rinse them. You need to use any sort of white rice. When you should not have rice, then 1 to 2 teaspoons of rice flour may be added as a substitute whereas grinding.
Then take all of them in a bowl. Add ¼ cup sizzling water. Soak for 20 minutes.
Then take the soaked tuvar dal, coriander seeds and so forth together with the soaked water in a small grinder jar or chutney grinder.
Add chopped inexperienced chilies, ginger, curry leaves and grated coconut.
Grind to a clean and fantastic paste. Put aside.
Making buttermilk combination
Cooking ash gourd or white pumpkin
In the meantime when the rice and lentils are soaking, you may cook dinner the pumpkin. Rinse, peel and chop ash gourd into 0.5 to 1 inch cubes. Take the chopped ash gourd in a pan.
Add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder and 1 cup water. Stir to mix.
Cowl the pan and preserve it on a medium-low warmth. In between do verify and provides a stir.
Simmer until the pumpkin is nearly cooked.
Making mor kuzhambu
Scale back the warmth to a low or you may flip off the warmth. Then add the buttermilk combination. Combine effectively.
Season with salt as per style. Combine once more.
Simmer the mor kuzhambu on a low warmth. Do stir often.
The whole kuzhambu has to come back to a mild simmer. When you see the kuzhambu simmering, then flip off the warmth. Cowl and preserve apart.
Warmth 1 to 1.5 tablespoons oil in a tadka pan or small pan. You need to use gingelly oil (oil made out of uncooked sesame seeds) or sunflower oil or safflower oil and even ghee.
Add mustard seeds.
Let the mustard seeds crackle. When the mustard seeds crackle, add fenugreek seeds.
Shortly add pink chilies, curry leaves and a beneficiant pinch of asafoetida (hing). Stir and switch off warmth.
Pour this tempering combination within the Extra Kulambu. Cowl with a lid for 5 minutes and let the flavors infuse.
Serve Mor Kulambu with steamed rice.
- You’ll be able to choose to make this recipe with out white pumpkin. Merely selected to omit it within the recipe. Add water as wanted to get the consistency you like, however don’t make it skinny.
- You could possibly additionally add different veggies as talked about within the publish above.
- Ideally use thick, bitter tasting curd or yogurt to make mor kulambu. The curd also needs to be full-fat or made with entire milk. Don’t make this recipe with toned milk curd or low-fat curd as it could separate whereas cooking.
- Regulate the quantity of inexperienced chillies and pink chillies based on your preferences.
- Do add rice or rice flour because it helps in thickening the gravy and likewise prevents the curd from getting separated.
- The recipe can’t be scaled as is.
Mor Kulambu Recipe | Mor Kuzhambu
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 114 Energy from Fats 54
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 2g13%
Trans Fats 0.003g
Polyunsaturated Fats 0.2g
Monounsaturated Fats 3g
Ldl cholesterol 3mg1%
Vitamin A 153IU3%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.1mg7%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.2mg12%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 35mg175%
Vitamin B6 0.05mg3%
Vitamin B12 0.3µg5%
Vitamin C 65mg79%
Vitamin E 2mg13%
Vitamin Ok 0.5µg0%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 363µg91%
* P.c Day by day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie eating regimen.
This Mor Kulambu recipe from the archives, initially revealed in Might 2018 has been up to date and republished on February 2023.