Many of the vegetarians I do know, actually dig into mushrooms! In the event you too contemplate your self as a Mushroom fan, then this Mushroom Pepper Fry is THE recipe you have to check out. This preparation is tremendous straightforward and easy, and makes for a incredible spicy mushroom and capsicum fry. Remainder of the components too are all the essential ones, that are often accessible at any Indian residence kitchen. Since I’ve cooked it in coconut oil and it additionally has curry leaves, I discuss with it as a South Indian model preparation. The recipe is vegan and gluten free too.
My Tryst With Mushroom Pepper Fry
A couple of years again, whereas touring in some components of ‘God’s personal nation,’ Kerala in South India, I got here throughout a lot of meals that was vegetarian in addition to vegan, and supremely scrumptious.
I imply folks may know of this state for its wealthy non-vegetarian meals. However belief me, the meals right here that’s fully plant-based can also be a ten/10. This Mushroom Pepper Fry was one such dish that I relished throughout our keep on the Taj Lodge there.
On the restaurant there, this dish was named as Mushroom Varuval. Throughout their housekeeping hours, they used to go away us papers printed with a every day exercise record of the resort together with one recipe, particular for that individual day. Initially, I missed on the recipes. However after I famous it, I began amassing these papers.
Again at residence, I used to already make an identical dish with mushrooms and potatoes. The day I made a decision to strive on to this Mushroom Pepper Fry, I began searching for the Taj recipe handout. Solely to know that I had misplaced it whereas shifting our residence. So, I attempted recollecting the process and by doing so I used to be capable of make it at residence.
The style of the Mushroom Pepper Fry got here fairly near the one we used to relish within the resort throughout our keep in Kerala. Since then, I’ve been attempting out and sharing a number of regional recipes on my weblog, from that a part of the nation. I nonetheless have loads to do and put it out right here for all my readers.
Extra On The Recipe
I’m a fan of South Indian delicacies on the whole. The grand vegetarian feast referred to as ‘sadya’ which is the principle attraction of the Onam competition in Kerala, can also be one thing I completely adore. The record and variety of dishes in it, and all vegetarian with some even vegan, is sort of spectacular. To not overlook, actually delish too.
This Kerala model Mushroom Pepper Fry has additionally develop into a private favourite because the day I had tried it because the varuval. Therefore, I usually find yourself making it at residence as everyone else as properly loves it. You may’t actually be fooled by its simplicity, as a result of inside, it packs a punch of flavors and textures that’s absolutely going to blow your thoughts.
Another recipes on the identical line that I ceaselessly put together at residence embody this Goan model Mushroom Fry, the Indo-Chinese language Chilli Mushroom and this one pot Indian model Mushroom Stir Fry. The fieriness of every of those differ and you’ll truly alter it based on what you like.
On this Mushroom Pepper Fry, black pepper is the principle spice together with some extra regular ones. The pungency of the black pepper is among the highlights of this recipe. The aroma of fennel seeds can also be fairly outstanding within the dish. So as to add some pure colour and crunch, I add the capsicum. However you may skip it.
Chapatis, phulka, roti or bread – select the way in which you wish to have this Mushroom Pepper Fry with. It will also be savored as a facet dish with sambar-rice or plain yellow dal-rice mixtures.
The way to make Mushroom Pepper Fry
1. Firstly, take 1 tablespoon black peppercorns and 1 teaspoon fennel seeds in a dry grinder or espresso grinder.
In case you are not going so as to add capsicum within the recipe, then scale back the black pepper to ½ tablespoon and fennel seeds to ½ teaspoon.
2. Grind to a rough powder. Maintain apart. Additionally, slice 1 giant onion, 250 grams white button mushrooms, 1 medium to giant capsicum and 1 inexperienced chili.
Rinse the mushrooms a couple of instances in water utilizing a colander or strainer earlier than you chop them.
Make Mushroom Pepper Fry
3. Warmth 2 tablespoons coconut oil in a pan. Add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds and allow them to crackle.
4. Then, add 1 cup thinly sliced onions.
5. Combine the onions very properly and sauté on low to medium warmth.
6. For fast cooking of the onions, you may add a pinch of salt whereas sautéing. Sauté until they begin to flip gentle golden.
7. Then, add ½ teaspoon ginger-garlic paste.
8. Stir and sauté until the uncooked aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
9. Now, add the sliced mushrooms.
10. Combine very properly and sauté on medium warmth.
11. First, the mushrooms will launch a number of water.
12. Proceed to sauté until all of the water has evaporated.
13. Then, add 1 cup thinly sliced inexperienced capsicum.
14. Combine properly.
15. Sauté the capsicum slices until they’re half cooked. They need to have some crunch in them.
16. Then, add sliced inexperienced chili and 2 teaspoons chopped curry leaves. Combine properly.
17. Subsequent, add the ready spice powder.
18. Subsequent, add ½ teaspoon coriander powder, ½ teaspoon cumin powder and a pinch of turmeric powder.
19. Combine all of the spice powders very properly.
20. Season with salt.
21. Combine once more and swap off the warmth. Verify the style and add extra, salt if required.
22. Add 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves. Stir.
23. Serve Mushroom Pepper Fry scorching with chapati or roti.
- You need to use contemporary button mushrooms and rinse them very well earlier than utilizing within the recipe. You may hold the stems as they’re edible.
- The dish is spicy and pungent due to the addition of black pepper in it. You may scale back the amount of black pepper, in case you may’t deal with an excessive amount of warmth in your meals.
- You may skip including the capsicum on this dish. If doing so, then additionally scale back the amount of black pepper to ½ tablespoon and fennel to ½ teaspoon.
- Rather than coconut oil, you need to use peanut oil or sunflower oil for cooking the dish.
- Prepare dinner the mushrooms on low to medium warmth until the moisture is evaporated. Guarantee to not overcook the mushrooms. Doing so can flip them mushy.
- For cooking onions quicker, add a pinch of salt whereas sautéing. You need to sauté onions until they’re gentle golden and never golden brown or crisp.
Please make sure you fee this recipe within the recipe card under you probably have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Mushroom Pepper Fry
Mushroom Pepper Fry is a spicy and attractive recipe of button mushrooms, capsicum with black pepper and a few extra spices. This preparation is tremendous straightforward, easy, and makes for a incredible spicy dish.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 25 minutes
Whole Time 40 minutes
Forestall your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Firstly take 1 tablespoon black pepper + 1 teaspoon fennel seeds in a dry grinder or a espresso grinder.
Grind to a rough powder. Put aside.
Additionally slice and chop the onion, mushrooms, capsicum and chillies. Rinse the mushrooms earlier than chopping them.
Making mushroom pepper fry
Warmth coconut oil in a frying pan. Maintain warmth to a low.
Add mustard seeds and allow them to crackle.
After the mustard seeds crackle, then add 1 cup thinly sliced onions.
Combine the onions very properly and sauté on a low to medium warmth, until they begin to flip gentle golden.
Then add ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a couple of seconds until the uncooked aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
Now add the sliced mushrooms.
Combine very properly and sauté mushrooms on a medium warmth.
First the mushrooms will launch a number of water.
Proceed to saute until all of the water has evaporated and the mushrooms are nearly cooked.
Then add 1 cup sliced bell peppers and blend properly.
Sauté the capsicum slices until they’re half-cooked. They need to have some crunch in them.
Then add sliced or chopped inexperienced chillies and chopped curry leaves. Combine properly.
Now add the coarsely powdered black pepper and fennel seeds along with coriander powder, cumin powder and a pinch of turmeric powder.
Combine all of the spices very properly with the mushroom and capsicum combination.
Season with salt.
Combine once more after which swap off the warmth. Verify the style of mushroom pepper fry. Add extra salt if required.
Add 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves. Stir to combine.
Serve mushroom pepper fry scorching with chapati or roti.
- The dish is spicy and pungent as a result of addition of black pepper. If you need, you may scale back the black peppers to ½ tablespoon. Additionally fennel seeds may be diminished to ½ teaspoon.
- Capsicum (inexperienced bell pepper) may be skipped. If skipping capsicum within the recipe, then scale back the black pepper to ½ tablespoon and fennel to ½ teaspoon.
- As a substitute of coconut oil, you may decide to make use of sunflower oil or any impartial flavored oil.
Mushroom Pepper Fry
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 203 Energy from Fats 135
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 12g75%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 1g
Vitamin A 2035IU41%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.2mg13%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.5mg29%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 56mg280%
Vitamin B6 0.3mg15%
Vitamin B12 0.04µg1%
Vitamin C 172mg208%
Vitamin D 0.2µg1%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Ok 13µg12%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 583µg146%
* P.c Each day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight loss plan.
This Mushroom Pepper Fry recipe publish from the archives, first printed in August 2016 has been up to date and republished on October 2022.