Generally, it’s the easiest dishes, that stir a complete whirlwind of feelings, consolation and satisfaction inside our physique. Identical to a Jeera Rice or ghee rice with essentially the most primary components and hardly any steps to be adopted, nonetheless bringing in that ‘wow’ consider our meals. The Nei Choru or Neychoru from ‘God’s personal nation’ Kerala is simply one other variation of the attractive ghee rice. This delicacy makes use of a particular selection known as ‘kaima rice’ or ‘jeerakasala rice.’
About Nei Choru
First issues first, the which means of the title. The Malayalam phrases ‘nei’ or ‘ney’ refers to ‘ghee’ and ‘choru’ refers to ‘rice.’ Therefore, when put collectively, it’s merely a savory dish of rice, ghee, spices and seasoning which is sort of fragrant. There could also be different flavorings like nuts, dry fruits and fried onions like I’ve added in my recipe.
As apparent from the title, Nei Choru is a Malabar specialty from the delicacies of the South Indian state Kerala. Additionally, historically, a sure number of rice, known as kaima rice is used to make this dish. This rice can be known as jeerakasala rice, jeerasal or seeraga samba rice.
The principle distinction between the kaima rice and basmati rice is that the previous one is a wide range of brief grain rice, however is equally flavorful and aromatic as its lengthy grain counterpart. Kaima rice has a typical non-sticky texture which is taken into account fairly superb for making South Indian biryani, like a Malabar or Thalassery biryani.
Whilst you do that recipe of Nei Choru, right here’s a taste loaded vegetable Kerala Biryani, that you will need to check out as nicely. It’ll even be a scrumptious change out of your common Mughlai and Awadhi biryanis.
Extra on Neychoru Recipe
This submit mentions the best way I put together a Kerala type Nei Choru at my dwelling. The recipe may be very simple, no hassles or fanciness hooked up to it, but is ready to take your easy on a regular basis meal to a unique stage.
So, quite than having the nice ol’ plain steamed rice-dal-sabzi meal, add some extra efforts and put together this yum Neychoru. Since that is additionally an oomphed up ghee rice, it additionally goes nice with dals or thick gravies.
If you’re trying to find the basic manner of constructing this rice-based dish, this Ghee Rice with basmati rice is your go-to recipe.
For an genuine expertise of the Nei Choru, you will need to use the kaima rice. However in case you are dealing with difficulties in sourcing this explicit kind of rice or don’t have it useful at dwelling, your subsequent good choice is the favored basmati rice.
Neychoru tastes out-of-the-world scrumptious with any coconut-based curry like a veg korma, potato stew or every other stew of your selection. Because the flavors are delicate on this Kerala type ghee rice, it’s also possible to have it with parippu curry or every other dals.
How one can make Nei Choru
1. Rinse 1.5 cups kaima rice (seeraga samba rice) or basmati rice (300 grams) in water a few occasions. Then, soak rice in sufficient water for 20 to half-hour. Later, drain the water and preserve apart.
2. Warmth 4 tablespoons ghee in a thick bottomed pan.
3. Then, add ½ cup thinly sliced onions.
4. Combine and start to sauté the onions on low to medium warmth.
4. For sooner cooking of the onions, add a pinch of salt. Carry on stirring and sautéing the onions until they flip crisp and golden.
5. Sauté until the onions flip crisp and golden.
6. Take away the fried onions with a slotted spoon and preserve apart.
7. In the identical pan, add 12 to fifteen cashews.
8. Fry cashews until golden.
9. Take away the fried cashews with a slotted spoon and preserve apart.
10. Subsequent, add 1 tablespoon raisins. When the raisins puff up, take away and preserve apart.
Make Nei Choru
11. To the identical pan, add the entire spices – 1 tej patta, 1 inch cinnamon, 3 cloves and three inexperienced cardamoms. Sauté until the spices splutter and crackle.
12. Subsequent, add ½ cup thinly sliced onions.
13. Sauté the onions stirring typically until translucent.
14. Add the soaked kaima rice grains.
15. Season with salt as per style.
16. Gently combine the rice with the remaining components.
17. Add 3 cups water and blend nicely. Test the style of the water and it ought to style barely salty. If not, then add some extra salt.
For an al dente texture within the rice, you may add 2.5 to 2.75 cups water.
18. Cowl the pan with its lid. On low warmth, simmer until the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked, tender and fluffy.
Do examine a few occasions when the rice is cooking. If the water has dried up and rice grains are undercooked, then add some extra water.
19. As soon as accomplished, gently fluff the rice.
20. Serve Neychoru garnished with the fried onions, fried cashews, fried raisins and a few coriander leaves. You’ll be able to serve Nei Choru with a coconut based mostly veg gravy like veg korma or any dal.
- No kaima rice? No worries, go for basmati rice for this recipe.
- I’d recommend to not miss on the fried onions because it imparts a touch of sweetness in addition to earthiness to this in any other case delicately spiced ghee rice variant.
- Operating wanting time? Prepare dinner the dish fully in a stress cooker. If doing so, add 2.5 cups water and stress cook dinner for two to three whistles.
- Make a vegan variation by utilizing oil as an alternative of ghee. When utilizing oil, add 3 tablespoons of it.
Please be sure you charge the recipe within the recipe card or depart a remark under you probably have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Nei Choru | Neychoru Recipe (Kerala Fashion)
The Nei Choru or Neychoru from ‘God’s personal nation’ Kerala is simply one other variation of a delish ghee rice. This delicacy is a Malabar particular and made with rice, ghee, spices and dry fruits. This recipe makes use of a particular number of rice known as ‘kaima rice’ or ‘jeerakasala rice.’
Prep Time 15 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 25 minutes
Whole Time 40 minutes
Stop your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
- Rinse kaima rice (seeraga sambar rice) or basmati rice in water a few occasions. Then soak rice grains in sufficient water for 20 to half-hour. Later drain the water and preserve the soaked rice apart.
Warmth ghee in a pan. Hold the warmth to low or medium.
Add ½ cup thinly sliced onions.
Combine and start to sauté the onions on a low to medium warmth until they flip crisp and golden.
Take away the entire fried onions with a slotted spoon and preserve apart.
In the identical pan, add 12 to fifteen cashews and fry until golden.
Take away with a slotted spoon and preserve apart.
Subsequent add 1 tablespoon raisins. When the raisins puff up, take away and preserve apart.
Making nei choru
To the identical pan, add the entire spices – tej patta, cinnamon, cloves, inexperienced cardamoms. Fry on low warmth until the spices splutter and crackle.
Subsequent add ½ cup of thinly sliced onions and sauté until they flip translucent.
Then add the rice.
Season with salt as per style. Gently combine the rice with the remaining components.
Add 3 cups water. Combine nicely. Test the style of the water and it ought to style barely salty. If not, then add some salt.
Cowl the pan with its lid. On a low warmth simmer until the water is absorbed and the rice grains are tender, fluffy and cooked nicely.
As soon as accomplished, gently fluff the rice.
Serve Neychoru garnished with the fried onions, cashews and raisins. Additionally garnish with some chopped coriander leaves. You can even serve Nei Choru with a coconut based mostly vegetable curry or any dal.
- As a substitute of kaima rice, you should utilize basmati rice.
- The complete recipe might be made in a stress cooker. If cooking in a stress cooker, then add 2.5 cups water and stress cook dinner for two to three whistles.
- For a vegan model, use oil as an alternative of ghee. Simply add 3 tablespoons oil.
- For bigger servings, scale up the recipe simply.
Nei Choru | Neychoru Recipe (Kerala Fashion)
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 423 Energy from Fats 135
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 8g50%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 4g
Ldl cholesterol 33mg11%
Vitamin A 8IU0%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 3mg4%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Ok 2µg2%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 14µg4%
* P.c Day by day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie food regimen.
This Neychoru recipe from the archives first revealed in January 2017 has been republished and up to date on November 2022.