Who doesn’t love the dosa – Indian fashion savory crepes, typically served with a spiced potato stuffing. This lodge fashion Onion Dosa is a variation of the favored Rava Dosa recipe with extra onions and a few spices & herbs. This is without doubt one of the best dosa variants to make since no grinding and no fermentation of the batter is required. Make these dosas for a scrumptious breakfast or brunch. You too can get pleasure from them for a light-weight lunch or dinner. The Onion Dosa recipe isn’t just vegetarian, however vegan too.
About Onion Dosa
If you’re somebody, who actually can’t get sufficient of the Onion Dosa ever, then this recipe is a should strive for you! As a result of with this recipe, you don’t have to move out to a restaurant. As an alternative, make and luxuriate in a restaurant fashion model of the identical dosa on the consolation of your private home.
Onion Dosa is an excellent widespread South Indian breakfast dish. Not simply all-over South India, however even in different areas, this dosa is an all-time favourite with many.
The everyday texture of the onion spiked dosa is without doubt one of the USPs of the dish. So, not solely is it a celebration for the palate, however is interesting to the eyes too. Simply make sure that to have it as quickly as you make it.
This recipe of the Onion Dosa is kind of a easy and simple one, the place you simply have to arrange the batter, mood it and use it to make completely golden and crisp dosas. You’ll be able to choose to make use of ghee (clarified butter) instead of oil for cooking the dosas.
This lodge fashion Onion Dosa is finest served scorching or heat with an earthy coconut chutney, a comforting Sambar and even each. I do know individuals who additionally eat it with tomato ketchup. You’ll be able to strive it too!
To make this on the spot Onion Dosa, simply combine all of the components and permit the batter to sit down for 15 to twenty minutes. Then, you might be able to make the dosas. Whereas the batter is resting, you may put together the Coconut Chutney. The benefit of this recipe makes it an excellent possibility for breakfast and even brunch.
So, the standard components that go within the batter of this Onion Dosa are onions after all, un-roasted rava or suji (semolina), rice flour, all-purpose flour or entire wheat flour, inexperienced chilli, ginger, crushed black peppercorns, chopped coriander leaves and salt.
To make the batter, you should use water or buttermilk. Generally, I put together the batter with water and typically with buttermilk. Each methods the Onion Dosa tastes good.
The spices, herbs that go into the dosa batter impart their distinctive taste too. To not overlook, the presence of onions, including a component of crunch and a few sweetness too.
I’ve tempered the dosa batter with mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves. This tempering offers a very nice taste to the dosa and doesn’t take greater than 5 minutes.
Some extra related on the spot and healthful dosa varieties you could make in a jiffy are Oats Dosa and Wheat Dosa.
Tips on how to make Onion Dosa
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the next components with spoon:
- ½ cup high quality textured un-roasted rava or suji (semolina flour or cream of wheat)
- ½ cup rice flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour or entire wheat flour
- ½ or 1 teaspoon finely chopped inexperienced chillies or 1 inexperienced chilli
- ½ cup finely chopped onions or about 1 medium-sized onion
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger or 1 inch, optionally available
- 9 to 10 black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves, optionally available
2. Warmth 1 teaspoon oil in a small frying pan. Crackle ½ teaspoon mustard seeds first on low warmth.
Then, add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds and 5 to six chopped curry leaves. Sauté for a number of seconds or until the cumin seeds brown and splutter.
3. Add this tempering along with the oil to the opposite components within the bowl. Additionally, add salt as required.
4. Pour water or buttermilk as required and make a skinny batter with none lumps. Relaxation the batter for 15 to twenty minutes.
The batter shouldn’t be thick or of medium consistency. I added about 2.25 cups water to the batter. If the batter turns into too skinny, then add some rice flour to barely thicken it.
Make Onion Dosa
5. Warmth a forged iron skillet, tawa or a non-stick pan. Utilizing a small piece of cotton cloth, paper serviette or half of an onion which has been dipped in oil, grease the pan throughout.
6. With a ladle, pour the ready batter. First, begin pouring the batter from the sides. Hold the warmth to medium.
7. Then, transfer pouring the batter in direction of the middle. If there are massive gaps, then fill them evenly with the batter.
8. Drizzle ½ teaspoon oil on high. This dosa takes somewhat longer time to prepare dinner than the common Dosa. The pan must be actually scorching earlier than you pour the batter.
9. Let the bottom turns into golden or crisp. Flip and prepare dinner the opposite facet. Normally, I prepare dinner either side. However you may simply prepare dinner the bottom and when the highest can be cooked, fold the dosa and serve instantly. Put together all of the dosas this manner in batches.
Word: The rava and the flours calm down on the backside of the batter within the bowl. So, you must stir the batter very properly each time you make the dosa. In case the batter turns into thick after making a number of dosas, then add some water or buttermilk. Stir and blend once more.
10. Serve the lodge fashion Onion Dosa scorching or heat with coconut chutney or vegetable sambar for a comforting breakfast, brunch or lunch.
You too can serve it with different chutney varieties like Tomato Chutney, Onion Chutney, Peanut Chutney or Ginger Chutney.
When you’ve got any leftover dosa batter, then refrigerate it for 1 day. If the batter seems thick, add some water to skinny it.
- You’ll be able to both use all-purpose flour or entire wheat flour within the batter.
- Ginger, black pepper and coriander leaves within the batter are optionally available. You’ll be able to skip these.
- You’ll be able to regulate the amount of spices in response to your style. Some finely chopped recent coconut can be added to the batter.
- The batter could be ready with water or buttermilk, no matter you want to use. Ensure that to make a batter, which is skinny (not medium or thick) and freed from lumps. In case your batter turns into too skinny, add some extra rice flour and blend.
- Put together the buttermilk by dissolving 3 to 4 tablespoons curd (yogurt) in 2 cups water. Whisk properly earlier than including to the opposite components.
- Regulate the warmth whereas cooking the dosa. The warmth will rely on the thickness of the pan or skillet you might be utilizing. If utilizing a heavy pan, prepare dinner on medium excessive warmth. In case the pan is mild or skinny, then prepare dinner on medium-low to medium warmth.
- This recipe can simply be doubled or tripled to make for extra servings.
Extra Dosa Recipes To Attempt!
Please be sure you price the recipe within the recipe card or depart a remark under when you’ve got made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Onion Dosa (Lodge Model Recipe)
Straightforward lodge fashion Onion Dosa which are crispy in addition to smooth and lacy. The recipe is fast to make with a batter product of semolina, rice flour, all-purpose flour, onions, herbs and spices. No grind and no fermentation is required making this recipe a fast breakfast or brunch possibility.
Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook dinner Time 20 minutes
Complete Time 45 minutes
Forestall your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Take the rava, rice flour, all-purpose flour, inexperienced chillies, ginger, onion, coriander leaves, crushed black pepper in a mixing bowl.
Warmth 1 teaspoon oil in a small frying pan. Crackle the mustard seeds first on low warmth. The mustard seeds ought to pop earlier than you add the cumin seeds.
Then add the cumin and chopped curry leaves. Saute for a number of seconds until the cumin browns and splutters.
Add this tempering combination along with the oil to the opposite components within the bowl. Add salt as required.
Pour water or buttermilk and make a skinny batter with none lumps. Hold the batter to relaxation for 15 to twenty minutes.
The batter shouldn’t be thick or of medium consistency. If the dosa batter turns into too skinny, then add some rice flour to barely thicken it.
Cooking onion dosa
Warmth a forged iron skillet or tawa or non-stick pan. Smear a bit oil with a slice of onion or a small piece of cotton cloth or paper serviette. Hold the warmth to medium.
With a ladle pour the dosa batter from the sides in direction of the middle.
Sprinkle ¼ or ½ or 1 teaspoon of oil from the highest.
Let the bottom turns into golden and crisp. Flip and prepare dinner the opposite facet. When each the perimeters are cooked, take away the dosa from the pan.
Put together all of the dosas this manner in batches.
Whereas making second dosa stir the batter very properly because the rava and the flours calm down on the backside of the batter within the bowl.
Serve the lodge fashion Onion Dosa scorching with coconut chutney or vegetable sambar. This dosa must be served instantly.
- *To make the buttermilk – Combine 3 to 4 tablespoons of curd (yogurt) in 2 cups of water. Whip the buttermilk very properly earlier than you add it to the opposite components.
- The recipe could be scaled to make a bigger serving.
- Regulate the spices in response to your style preferences.
- You’ll be able to skip ginger and black pepper if you’d like.
- Moreover, you may also add some finely chopped recent coconut to the batter.
- Cook dinner the dosa on medium to medium excessive warmth relying upon the thickness of the pan. In case your pan isn’t heavy then prepare dinner on medium-low to medium warmth. For a heavy skillet use medium excessive warmth.
Onion Dosa (Lodge Model Recipe)
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 185 Energy from Fats 72
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g6%
Polyunsaturated Fats 0.5g
Monounsaturated Fats 7g
Vitamin A 41IU1%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.2mg13%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.1mg6%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 11mg55%
Vitamin B6 0.1mg5%
Vitamin C 18mg22%
Vitamin E 3mg20%
Vitamin Okay 1µg1%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 132µg33%
* % Every day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight loss plan.
This Onion Dosa submit from the archives first revealed in April 2014 has been up to date and republished on March 2023.