Onion sambar recipe with step-by-step pics. It’s a simple and scrumptious sambar selection made with pearl onions or small onions, tuvar dal (arhar dal or pigeon pea lentils), tomato, spices and herbs. This onion sambar is also called Vengaya Sambar in Tamil Nadu and Ulli Sambar in Kerala. It makes for a wholesome and scrumptious meal when paired with idli or dosa or steamed rice. A vegan recipe.
Sambar is a favourite at house and I typically make Sambar with idlis or steamed rice. I specifically purchase pearl onions to make this vengaya sambar and Ulli theeyal (Kerala curry made with pearl onions). When pearl onions will not be obtainable, I make this sambar with common onions.
Pearl onions have a definite style of their very own and so I additionally add them to our on a regular basis dals additionally.
This sambar not solely tastes good with pearl onions but additionally with common onions. The recipe makes use of sambar powder and I’ve added selfmade sambar powder. There isn’t any coconut added within the recipe.
Serve onion sambar scorching with idli, dosa, medu vada, uttapam or with steamed rice.
How one can make Onion Sambar
1. Rinse ½ cup tuvar dal (pigeon pea lentils) for a few instances in water. Then add the lentils in a stress cooker together with ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder and 1.5 to 2 cups water.
Stir and stress prepare dinner the lentils for 7 to eight whistles or until they’re cooked fully.
2. When the dal is cooking, soak ½ tablespoon tightly packed seedless tamarind in ¼ cup scorching water.
3. Additionally soak 20 to 22 pearl onions in water for about 20 minutes. Soaking helps in peeling the onions simply. You can too peel them with out soaking.
As a substitute of pearl onions, you can too use shallots or 2 to three medium-sized onions. Simply cube the onions.
4. When the dal is softened very well, mash the dal and maintain apart.
5. Later peel the onions. Rinse them effectively in water and maintain apart. Additionally, cube 1 small tomato.
Making vengaya sambar
6. Warmth 2 tablespoon oil. Add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds together with 1 teaspoon urad dal (non-compulsory). Enable the mustard seeds to splutter and the urad dal to alter right into a maroonish colour.
7. Then add 2 dry crimson chilies and three to 4 fenugreek seeds. Saute until the crimson chilies change colour.
8. Subsequent add the pearl onions and 9 to 10 curry leaves. Stir and saute until the onions flip translucent.
9. Add the diced tomatoes and one pinch of asafoetida (hing). Stir and saute the tomatoes until they soften.
10. Extract the pulp from the soaked tamarind.
12. Add the tamarind pulp to the onion-tomato combination.
13. Add 1.5 cups of water.
14. Carry this combination to a simmer until the uncooked aroma and style of tamarind goes away. About 7 to eight minutes.
15. Then add 2 teaspoon sambar powder.
16. Stir and blend very effectively.
17. Now add the mashed dal.
18. Stir once more.
19. Add some extra water if required and if the sambar appears to be like very thick.
20. Add salt as required and stir effectively. You can too add some jaggery in order for you.
21. Simmer vengaya sambar for five to six minutes or till the sambar thickens barely.
22. Garnish with coriander leaves in order for you and Serve small onion sambar scorching with steamed rice or idli, dosa or uttapam.
- When you don’t have pearl onions or can’t supply them, make the recipe with common onions or shallots. When utilizing common onions, simply cube and use them for the recipe.
- Soaking pearl onions in water will make it easier to peel them simply. Nevertheless, in case you have time in hand, you possibly can peel them with out soaking as effectively.
- It’s best to make use of a selfmade sambar powder. However if you happen to don’t have it made already, then you possibly can put together this sambar with store-bought sambar powder as effectively.
- Including urad dal within the tempering is non-compulsory.
- You possibly can alter the amount of water in line with the consistency you need within the sambar.
Extra Tasty Sambar varieties
Please you’ll want to price the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark under in case you have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Vengaya sambar is a simple sambar made with pearl onions (or small onions), pigeon pea lentils lentils, herbs and spices.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 25 minutes
Whole Time 45 minutes
Forestall your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Rinse 1/2 cup tuvar dal for a few instances in water. Then add the lentils in a stress cooker together with 1/4 tsp turmeric powder. Stir and stress prepare dinner the lentils for 7 to eight whistles or until they’re cooked fully.
When the dal is cooking, soak 1/2 tbsp tamarind in 1/2 cup scorching water for about 20 minutes. Later extract the pulp from the tamarind and maintain apart.
Additionally soak the pearl onions in water for about 20 to half-hour.
Let the stress launch from the cooker by itself. Open the lid and verify the dal. If the dal is softened and cooked very well, mash the dal and maintain apart.
Later peel the pearl onions. Rinse them effectively in water and maintain apart. Additionally, cube the tomato.
making onion sambar
Warmth 2 tbsp oil and add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds together with 1 tsp urad dal. Enable the mustard seeds to splutter and the urad dal to alter right into a maroonish colour.
Then add 2 dry crimson chilies and three to 4 fenugreek seeds. Saute until the crimson chilies change colour.
Subsequent add the pearl onions and curry leaves. Stir and saute until the onions flip translucent.
Add the diced tomatoes and a pinch of asafoetida. Stir and saute the tomatoes until soften.
Add the tamarind pulp to the onion-tomato combination.
Add water and stir effectively. Carry this combination to a simmer until the uncooked odor of tamarind goes away.
Then add sambar powder and stir very effectively.
Now add the mashed dal and stir once more. Add some extra water if required.
Add salt and stir effectively. Simmer vengaya sambar for five to six minutes.
Garnish with coriander leaves in order for you. Serve small onion sambar with steamed rice or idli, dosa or uttapam.
- If pearl onions will not be obtainable, then you can also make this recipe with common onions.
This Onion Sambar submit from the archives first printed in June 2015 has been up to date and republished on December 2022