The South Indian delicacies has many preparations made with numerous varieties of lentils, legumes, beans or peas. From snacks, starters, salads to mains and even desserts or sweets, ‘paruppu/parippu’ or lentils are used within the preparation of many dishes. Similar to this Parippu Curry, which is solely a Moong Lentil Curry. This is among the common ones that function within the all-vegetarian festive feast referred to as ‘Sadya,’ throughout Onam celebrations in Kerala. You should do that beautiful, soulful and comforting dal-based dish as effectively.
About Parippu Curry
Parippu Curry is principally a Moong Lentil Curry, tempered in a typical South Indian type. It has dose of coconut, similar to some other dish on this a part of our nation, and different spices.
Right here, I’ve shared a recipe which I learnt from my mom. She has been making this Lentil Curry since a very long time, with moong lentils (husked and break up inexperienced gram) and even tur dal (pigeon pea lentils).
So, even you can also make this Parippu Curry with both moong lentils or pigeon pea lentils. This particular publish is with moong lentils. Different components of this preparation embody a recent coconut paste with inexperienced chilies, cumin seeds, onion; and the everyday complete spices for tempering.
Since it’s historically a dish from South India, I recommend to make use of coconut oil for the tempering. Which additionally makes this Moong Dal Curry, a vegan one. Additionally it is gluten-free.
Nonetheless, in the event you can’t actually think about dishes cooked in coconut oil or are averse to its style, then use ghee. Though I’ll reiterate, for an genuine taste, observe the recipe with out making any modifications in it.
This Kerala type curry made with moong lentils makes for an excellent comforting meal, when served with steamed rice. It’s also possible to accompany it with a facet vegetable Thoran, some pickle and/or pappadums. At dwelling as effectively, dal-rice is an evergreen mixture for us. So, each time we’re searching for a change, I put together this Parippu Curry as an alternative.
Simple to arrange, this Lentil Curry recipe can be simply halved, doubled or tripled. Additionally, when having it with steamed rice, prime it up with some ghee for that final expertise.
How one can make Parippu Curry
Strain Cook dinner Moong Lentils
1. Rinse ⅓ cup (70 grams) moong dal in water a few instances. Then, add rinsed moong dal in a 2 liter stovetop stress cooker. Additionally, add ⅛ teaspoon turmeric powder (2 pinches) and 1 cup water.
You may even prepare dinner the moong lentils in a 6 quarts On the spot Pot including 1 cup water for 10 to 12 minutes on excessive stress.
Alternatively, decide to prepare dinner them in a stovetop in a pot/pan including water as wanted. For fast cooking of the lentils, soak them in water for about half-hour to 1 hour.
2. Strain prepare dinner on medium to excessive warmth for five to six whistles or for 8 to 9 minutes.
3. As soon as the stress drops down naturally within the cooker, then solely take away the lid and examine the lentils. The moong dal ought to be softened and cooked totally.
4. Mash the cooked moong dal with a spoon or vegetable masher. Put aside.
Make Coconut Paste
5. Take the next substances in a blender or grinder jar:
- ⅓ cup recent grated coconut
- 1 chopped inexperienced chili (about ½ to 1 teaspoon chopped)
- 1 sliced pearl onion (or 2 tablespoons sliced)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
For a spicy dal, you possibly can add 2 inexperienced chilies. Use 2 tablespoons chopped onions or chopped shallots, in the event you wouldn’t have pearl onions.
6. Add ¼ cup water.
7. Grind to a nice and clean paste. Add extra water, if required whereas grinding.
Make Parippu Curry
8. Add this coconut paste to the mashed dal within the cooker.
9. Add ⅓ to ½ cup water. It’s also possible to rinse the grinder jar with this ⅓ or ½ cup water so that every one the remaining coconut paste extracts caught to the grinder jar will get blended with the water.
Use a spoon or maintain the jar from exterior and gently shake and whirl the jar together with your arms. Then, add this water within the cooker containing the mashed lentils.
10. Season with salt as required.
11. Combine effectively and hold the cooker on the stovetop on a low to medium warmth.
12. Simmer for 7 to eight minutes. Hold stirring at intervals in order that the dal doesn’t stick with the underside of the cooker.
After 7 to eight minutes, swap off the warmth, cowl the cooker with a lid and hold apart. It is a barely thick dal, so don’t add an excessive amount of water.
13. Warmth 1 tablespoon coconut oil or ghee in a small frying pan or tadka pan. Hold the warmth to a low.
14. Add ⅓ teaspoon mustard seeds.
15. Let the mustard seeds crackle.
16. Subsequent, add 1 or 2 dried purple chilies (damaged and seeds eliminated) and 9 to 10 curry leaves.
17. Instantly, add 2 to three thinly sliced pearl onions (about ¼ cup sliced). Add dried purple chillies, curry leaves and onions collectively.
First, add dried purple chilies and curry leaves adopted by pearl onions. Use ¼ cup thinly sliced onions or shallots, in the event you wouldn’t have pearl onions.
18. Sauté the onions until golden. Stir usually.
19. As soon as the onions flip golden, swap off the warmth.
20. Add all the tempering combination to the dal.
21. Combine totally.
22. Serve Kerala type Parippu Curry with steamed rice. Whereas serving, you possibly can drizzle a little bit of ghee on the lentil curry and rice.
Lentils in South Indian Delicacies
For those who knew South India simply by its rice consumption, you’re extremely mistaken. As a result of aside from this grain, there’s quite a lot of dals (lentils), legumes and the likes which is popularly used within the preparation of many frequent dishes throughout South Indian households. Lentils are also fairly the staple meals of the individuals right here.
Regionally often called paruppu or parippu, lentils could also be utilized in sprouted or recent type and in addition dried types like complete, break up with out husk and break up with husk. Similar to this Parippu Curry which principally makes use of break up and husked yellow moong lentils.
Different South Indian dishes the place lentils are a standard ingredient are the batters for delicious snacks like dosa, vada, idli, sambar, some vegetable-dal preparations in addition to decadent desserts like Kadalai Paruppu Payasam, Pasi Paruppu Payasam and extra.
- Lentils: You may make this curry with tur dal or pigeon pea lentils additionally, in the event you don’t have moong dal. The time taken to prepare dinner the lentils within the stress cooker will depend upon the standard of the lentils.
- Pearl Onions: If in case you have common onions and even shallots in hand at dwelling, you should use both of those rather than pearl onions. To make coconut paste, use 2 tablespoons chopped onions or shallots. For tempering, use ¼ cup thinly sliced onions or sliced shallots. If you need a spicier curry, add 2 inexperienced chilies.
- Coconut: For those who wouldn’t have recent coconut, use desiccated coconut as an alternative. It’s also possible to use frozen coconut as an alternative.
- Coconut oil: For a standard taste, use coconut oil. For those who wouldn’t have it, then use ghee. For those who don’t have both, then use some other impartial flavored oil.
- Satvik variation: To make no onion model of this curry, skip including the onions.
- Cooking Lentils: Whereas cooking the curry, hold stirring at intervals in order that it doesn’t stick with the underside of the cooker. Sometimes, this dish is barely thick. So, don’t add an excessive amount of water.
- Scaling: Double or triple the recipe with none problem, to make for a higher variety of individuals.
Dal (Lentils) & Legumes
Dal (Lentils) & Legumes
Dal (Lentils) & Legumes
Dal (Lentils) & Legumes
Please you should definitely fee this recipe within the recipe card beneath in case you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Parippu Curry | Lentil Curry
Parippu Curry is solely a Moong Lentil Curry that’s scrumptious and comforting. This lentil curry can also be one of many common ones that function within the all-vegetarian festive feast referred to as ‘Sadya,’ throughout Onam celebrations in Kerala.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook dinner Time 20 minutes
Complete Time 25 minutes
For stress cooking lentils
For tempering parippu curry
Forestall your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Strain cooking moong lentils
Rinse moong dal in water a few instances. Then add rinsed moong dal in a 2 litre stovetop stress cooker. Additionally add turmeric powder and 1 cup water.
Strain prepare dinner on medium to excessive warmth for five to six whistles or for 8 to 9 minutes.
As soon as the stress settles down, take away the lid and examine the lentils. They need to be softened and cooked totally.
Mash the cooked moong dal with a spoon or masher. Hold apart.
Making parippu curry
Add this coconut paste to the mashed dal within the stress cooker.
Add ⅓ to ½ cup water.
Season with salt as required.
Combine effectively and hold the cooker on the range prime on a low to medium warmth.
- Simmer for 7 to eight minutes. Hold stirring at intervals in order that the dal doesn’t stick with the underside of the cooker. After 7 to eight minutes of simmering cowl with a lid and put aside.
Tempering for lentil curry
Warmth coconut oil or ghee in a small pan or tadka pan.
Add ⅓ teaspoon mustard seeds and allow them to crackle.
Then add dry purple chilies (damaged and seeds eliminated), curry leaves and pearl onions (thinly sliced).
Saute the onions stirring usually until they flip golden.
As soon as the onions flip golden, swap off the warmth.
Add all the tempering combination to the cooked lentils and blend effectively.
Serve parippu curry with steamed rice.
- As an alternative of pearl onions, you should use shallots or common onions.
- For coconut paste, add 2 tablespoons onions and for tempering, add ¼ cup thinly sliced onions
- Tur dal (pigeon pea lentils) can be used as an alternative of moong dal.
- Relying on the standard of moong dal, it might probably take much less or extra time for it prepare dinner in a stress cooker.
- Use ghee in the event you wouldn’t have coconut oil. For those who wouldn’t have ghee in addition to coconut oil, then use any impartial flavored oil.
- Whereas serving, you possibly can drizzle some ghee on the dal and rice.
- Desiccated coconut or frozen coconut may be substituted in the event you wouldn’t have recent coconut.
- For a no onion model, simply skip them and make the lentil curry.
- The recipe may be doubled or tripled.
Parippu Curry | Lentil Curry
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 173 Energy from Fats 72
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 7g44%
Polyunsaturated Fats 0.2g
Monounsaturated Fats 1g
Vitamin A 295IU6%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.03mg2%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.02mg1%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 35mg175%
Vitamin B6 0.04mg2%
Vitamin C 65mg79%
Vitamin E 0.1mg1%
Vitamin Okay 1µg1%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 361µg90%
* % Each day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie weight-reduction plan.
This Parippu Curry recipe publish from the archives, first printed in Could 2017 has been republished and up to date on November 2022.