Cozy, flippantly spicy, and completely satisfying, this vegan Pattani Kurma or Inexperienced Peas Kurma is a South Indian delight. Made in simply half-hour, this scrumptious korma is fast sufficient for busy weeknights and is satisfying sufficient to crush even probably the most ravenous starvation.
About Pattani Kurma
There are such a lot of recipes you’ll be able to cook dinner with inexperienced peas. This South Indian model Peas Kurma is a staple at residence and I make it throughout the season of recent inexperienced peas. Having mentioned that I additionally make it with frozen peas once we wish to take pleasure in a scrumptious kurma gravy with fluffy, smooth poori.
The recipe will get its title as one of many hero ingredient on this specific kurma variant is inexperienced peas – that are additionally known as ‘Pattani’ in Tamil. So you’ll be able to seek advice from this recipe as Pattani Kurma or Peas Kurma.
As an avid cook dinner, I generally tend to build up loads of cookbooks, journal tear-outs, newspaper clippings, and printed recipes. Something that appears tasty will get bookmarked for later. Do you may have a behavior like that?
That’s the case with this Pattani Kurma — I made it greater than a decade in the past and it has change into a favourite curry with everybody – proper from household to associates and visitors too. In truth, I can’t even bear in mind which guide or recipe impressed me to make it, however I can inform you: it’s merely scrumptious.
Whilst you may assume that as a meals blogger I’m whipping up particular recipes left and proper and that we eat like royalty day by day. I guarantee you, this isn’t the case. Most days, I find yourself cooking common Chapathi, some type of vegetable preparations and Dal, and rice like many Indian households.
Nevertheless, even with my easy, simple, on a regular basis recipes, I do what I can to make them style particular, and I’m often fairly profitable.
This yummy Peas Kurma recipe is one which I flip to many times. Whereas it’s extra of a homestyle recipe somewhat than a restaurant-style dish, it’s simply top-of-the-line kurma recipes I’ve ever tried.
I’ve made this Peas Kurma in a stovetop stress cooker to save lots of time however you’re welcome to make use of an everyday pan or Instantaneous Pot as a substitute. I’ve added notes within the recipe card on how you can make the kurma in a pan.
Components & Substitutions
This fast and simple recipe for Pattani Kurma requires only a handful of elements and a bevy of spice cupboard staples. Additionally it’s made with each inexperienced peas and potatoes.
Be at liberty to make use of both recent or frozen inexperienced peas for this recipe. In the event you go for frozen, you don’t have to defrost them first.
Waxy potatoes (e.g. crimson or yellow potatoes or Yukon Gold) will maintain their form higher than starchy Russet or Idaho potatoes. Be at liberty to omit the potatoes in case you are not fan of them.
The remainder of the elements are the assorted Indian floor spices, onions, herbs, poppy seeds, coconut and cashews. For the onions – crimson, yellow, white, or candy onions will all work right here.
I desire utilizing selfmade spice powders when attainable, and coriander powder, fennel powder isn’t any exception. Be at liberty to make use of no matter you may have readily available.
For the fennel powder, In the event you don’t have it, then flippantly roast 1.5 teaspoons of entire fennel seeds and grind them together with the coconut, poppy seeds, and so forth.
Poppy seeds are utilized in thickening the gravy. However you possibly can skip them as a consequence of availability.
Recent coconut provides actually good style to the gravy. Although you can even use unsweetened desiccated coconut if that’s what you may have readily available.
There are additionally some cashews added that give creaminess with none dairy. Be at liberty to swap them with blanched almonds as a substitute.
I additionally add Kashmiri crimson chillies as I really like the colourful crimson shade these dried chillies give to the gravy, however you’re welcome to make use of another dry crimson chilies you favor.
How To Make Pattani Kurma
This easy vegan kurma comes collectively in simply half-hour with the assistance of a stress cooker. Right here’s how:
1. Warmth some water. Flip off warmth and soak 2 to three dried crimson kashmiri chilies and 6 to 7 entire cashews within the water for 15 to twenty minutes. Do take away the seeds from the crimson chillies earlier than soaking.
After 15 to twenty minutes drain the water and set the soaked crimson chillies and cashews apart.
2. Rinse 1 cup of recent inexperienced peas and put aside. Rinse, peel and cube 2 medium potatoes (or 1 additional giant potato) as effectively.
3. In a grinder or blender:
- add the soaked cashews and crimson chillies
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds (khus khus)
- 2 tablespoons recent grated coconut or unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1 inch peeled and chopped ginger
Add little water or as wanted to grind the kurma gravy elements.
4. Grind or mix to a tremendous and easy paste. Put aside.
5. Measure all of the elements and hold prepared for making pattani kurma.
Make Pattani Kurma
6. Warmth 3 tablespoons oil in a 3 litre stress cooker. Maintain warmth to a low. Add all the entire spices:
- 1 medium-sized tej patta (Indian bay leaf)
- 2 to three cloves
- 1-inch cinnamon stick
Fry until aromatic for some seconds.
7. Add 1 medium-sized chopped onion (or ½ cup chopped onions).
8. Sauté on low to medium warmth stirring typically till onions flip golden brown.
9. Add the ready floor kurma paste.
10. Sauté on medium-low to medium warmth stirring typically for 3 to 4 minutes or extra, until the fats leaves the edges of the kurma masala paste.
11. Now add the bottom spice powders one after the other:
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons of fennel powder
12. Stir and sauté for a minute.
13. Add the inexperienced peas and peeled, chopped potatoes.
14. Stir and blend effectively.
15. Add salt as required.
16. Pour in about 2 to 2.25 cups of water.
17. Stir to combine effectively.
18. Stress cook dinner for two whistles on a medium to excessive warmth or until the potatoes and inexperienced peas are tender and cooked.
19. Right here the peas kurma is all able to be served.
20. Garnish with some coriander leaves.
21. Serve the Pattani Kurma scorching with some roti, chapathi, phulka, paratha or rice.
- Minimize the potatoes into even sizes. This can assist to make sure that they cook dinner evenly!
- For a spicy style, add extra crimson chillies. As an alternative of crimson chillies you’ll be able to choose so as to add inexperienced chillies. With inexperienced chillies, the colour of the gravy will change.
- As an alternative of recent coconut, use desiccated coconut. You may as well use frozen coconut.
- Be at liberty to omit potatoes and make the kurma with a complete of 1.25 to 1.5 cups of inexperienced peas.
- As with many stews and curries, this inexperienced peas kurma is particularly good after a day. Any leftovers will hold within the fridge for as much as 1 day.
- To thicken the kurma if in case the gravy appears to be like watery after stress cooking – simmer with out lid till the gravy thickens a bit.
- If the kurma appears to be like too thick after stress cooking, then add some water and simmer for some extra time with out lid.
Please be sure you fee the recipe within the recipe card or depart a remark beneath you probably have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Pattani Kurma | Inexperienced Peas Kurma
Pattani Kurma or Inexperienced Peas Kurma is a South Indian model kurma gravy made with inexperienced peas and potatoes cooked in a finely floor paste of coconut, poppy seeds, cashews, crimson chilies along with onions, spices and herbs. Finest paired with chapathi, parotta, poori or steamed rice.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 10 minutes
Complete Time 30 minutes
Forestall your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Warmth some water in a small bowl or pan and switch off warmth. Soak the dry kashmiri crimson chilies and cashews within the scorching water for 15 to twenty minutes.
Later drain the water and put aside the soaked cashews and crimson chillies.
Rinse the inexperienced peas and hold apart. Rinse, peel and cube the potatoes.
In a grinder or blender, grind or mix the soaked cashews and dry chillies, coconut, poppy seeds, ginger with little water to a easy and tremendous paste.
Making Pattani Kurma
Warmth 3 tablespoons oil in a 3 litre stress cooker. Conserving warmth to a low, add all the entire spices – tej patta, cloves, cinnamon and fry until aromatic for just a few seconds.
Add the onions and sauté them until golden brown. Stir typically when sautéing onions.
Add the ready floor kurma paste and stir to mix.
Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes or until the oil leaves the edges of the kurma masala paste.
Now add the spice powders one after the other – turmeric powder, coriander powder and fennel powder.
Stir and sauté for a minute on low warmth. Add the peas, potato and salt. Pour about 2 to 2.25 cups water.
Stress cook dinner for two whistles on a medium to excessive warmth or until the potatoes and peas are softened and tender.
If the gravy appears to be like watery, then simmer until the gravy thickens a bit.
If the gravy appears to be like dry, then add some water and simmer for some extra time with out the cooker’s lid.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve the Pattani Kurma scorching with some roti, chapathi, paratha or rice.
- * In the event you don’t have fennel powder, then flippantly roast 1.5 teaspoon of fennel seeds and grind them together with the coconut, poppy seeds and so forth.
- For making ready the kurma in pan on stovetop – comply with the recipe until you add the peas and potatoes. Add 2.5 cups water and salt as wanted. Cowl and let the peas and potatoes cook dinner until tender. Add extra water if required.
Pattani Kurma | Inexperienced Peas Kurma
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 211 Energy from Fats 117
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 2g13%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 9g
Vitamin A 357IU7%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.2mg13%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.1mg6%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 2mg10%
Vitamin B6 0.3mg15%
Vitamin C 28mg34%
Vitamin E 4mg27%
Vitamin Ok 13µg12%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 40µg10%
* P.c Each day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight loss plan.
This Pattani Kurma from the weblog archives first printed in January 2014 has been up to date and republished on December 2022.