This candy, nutty and crunchy Peanut Chikki Recipe (referred to as Peanut Brittle in English and Gajak in Hindi) is a well-liked winter candy snack in India. They’re straightforward to make and also you solely want two key elements! Seize some jaggery and peanuts and make this scrumptious candy in lower than half-hour.
Chikki is an Indian candy sweet made historically made with jaggery and nuts like roasted peanuts or cashews or almonds and even coconut.
Some variants are made with roasted chana dal (hulled black chickpeas), puffed rice, roasted amaranth seeds or sesame seeds, or a mixture of numerous nuts and dry fruits.
This mouth-watering sweet is known as Chikki in Marathi and Gajak in Hindi. Chikki may be very common with youngsters and are often made and loved through the winter season in India and the Makar Sankranti competition.
Jaggery is Indian unrefined cane sugar made by simmering recent sugar cane juice in giant iron woks till it reduces to a really thick consistency. It has a singular taste profile and could be in comparison with that of muscovado sugar or molasses.
Chikki can be found in supermarkets. Nonetheless, selfmade chikki or gajak are superior as they don’t embody preservatives.
Liquid glucose, sugar, corn syrup and different preservatives are added to chikki offered in supermarkets to offer them an extended shelf life in addition to to enhance their texture.
You solely want 2 elements to make these mouth-watering peanut chikki recipe. They’re fairly easy to make nevertheless, it’s essential that you just get the jaggery syrup proper.
Prepare dinner the syrup till it will get to the hardball stage for the perfect outcomes. One other essential step includes eradicating peanut skins from the peanuts. If the peanuts you might be utilizing are skinless then you’ll be able to skip this step!
Learn how to Make Peanut Chikki Recipe
1. Warmth a thick-bottom heavy kadai or pan and add 1 cup of peanuts.
2. Roast the peanuts on a low to medium warmth and stir infrequently till they turn out to be crunchy.
3. Roast till black spots seem on the peanuts, style them and ensure they’ve some crunch. If the peanuts are nonetheless uncooked then roast them for longer.
4. As soon as the peanuts are roasted add them to a separate plate or tray and depart them to chill down.
5. Grease the again of a steel baking tray, metal plate, or marble board with oil or ghee. You too can brush a parchment paper stored on a sturdy floor with oil or ghee.
6. As soon as the peanuts calm down, rub them between your palms and peel off the husks.
7. Add peanuts to a sieve or winnow with giant perforations and sift to take away husks. Take away husked peanuts and set them apart.
TIP 1: Utilizing a sieve or winnow will assist to take away the husks simply and shortly.
TIP 2: Should you want you’ll be able to crush the peanuts coarsely with a pestle or in a spice-grinder or mixer-grinder.
Make Jaggery Syrup
8. Add ½ a cup of jaggery powder or chopped jaggery to the identical kadai or pan. Pressure the jaggery if there are any impurities.
TIP: Should you don’t have jaggery powder then you should utilize a jaggery block as a substitute. Chop it finely and measure the chopped jaggery in a ½ cup measuring cup.
NOTE: Right here I’ve used natural jaggery powder and it has labored completely for me. You possibly can use the common jaggery, natural jaggery or your most popular model. Simply keep in mind to not use evaporated sugar cane juice.
9. Add 2 tablespoons of water.
10. Warmth the kadai (wok) or pan on a low flame. Then, use a spatula or spoon to stir the jaggery syrup till the jaggery dissolves.
11. Proceed to stir the combination repeatedly.
12. The jaggery syrup ought to start to thicken. Proceed to stir the syrup on a low flame.
13. Add chilly water to a bowl and preserve it shut by. Then add just a few drops of jaggery syrup to the water to verify the consistency of the jaggery syrup because it cooks.
14. The syrup will thicken and start to bubble.
15. Proceed to cook dinner jaggery syrup on low warmth and stir usually.
16. Prepare dinner the combination till it begins to thicken. The colour of the syrup will change and darken. At this level, the syrup needs to be stirred continuous to stop burning.
17. Finally the syrup ought to resemble molten liquid mass.
18. Verify the consistency by including just a few drops of the jaggery syrup to the chilly water. The jaggery syrup needs to be agency, brittle, and snap simply. That is known as the laborious ball stage.
Make Peanut Chikki
19. As soon as the jaggery syrup is the proper consistency, add the peanuts shortly.
20. Combine the jaggery syrup and peanuts till effectively mixed.
21. Swap off the warmth and shortly pour the chikki combination onto a greased plate or marble board.
22. Place foil, butter paper, or parchment paper on the chikki combination. Use a rolling pin to flatten the chikki combination into one even layer.
23. After rolling the chikki combination, take away the parchment paper.
24. After eradicating the paper, fastidiously minimize the chikki into equal-sized squares.
Tip: Be sure the chikki is sizzling when rolling and slicing. If the chikki is chilly then it is going to be troublesome to chop and roll.
25. Go away the chopped chikki to chill at room temperature.
25. As soon as the Peanut Chikki has cooled down break and serve. If you wish to serve the chikki or gajak at a later time then retailer it in an hermetic jar at room temperature.
- Jaggery syrup: Be sure to pay lots of consideration when making the jaggery syrup. It’s important that the syrup is cooked to the laborious boiled staged to get the perfect outcomes. Add a drop of jaggery syrup to a bowl of chilly water to verify the consistency. Be attentive when cooking jaggery syrup. If it isn’t cooked for lengthy sufficient then the chikki or gajak might be chewy and sticky.
- Exhausting ball stage: Don’t cook dinner the syrup past the laborious ball stage because the peanut chikki will turn out to be too laborious. To keep away from this cook dinner the jaggery syrup on a low warmth and stir it repeatedly.
- Roasting: It’s worthwhile to roast the peanuts till they’re crunchy to make the perfect chikki recipe. If the peanuts nonetheless have husks then rub them between your palms to take away the husks or use a sieve. Don’t skip this step as you don’t need peanut skins within the chikki.
- Slicing: After the chikki combination has been rolled you have to to chop it into equal sized squares. It’s essential to cut when the chikki continues to be sizzling. If the chikki units and cools it is going to be troublesome to cut the sweet.
- Batch: This decadent candy could be made in giant batches! Double or triple this peanut chikki recipe to feed a crowd. However do not forget that it is going to be an arm train as you have to to stir the jaggery liquid many instances.
Maganlal Agarwal is believed to have initially invented chikki . This scrumptious Indian sweet was invented within the Nineteenth-century on the Lonavala hill station which is close to to Mumbai.
It’s believed that Maganlal Agarwal invented this candy utilizing a mixture of jaggery, peanuts, and ghee. It was initially named gud dani.
Chikki could be saved in an hermetic jar for as much as 2 months at room temperature.
Sure, you’ll be able to change jaggery with white sugar or brown sugar to make chikki recipe. Prepare dinner the sugar till the syrup will get to the laborious ball stage. A sweet thermometer can even aid you to verify if the syrup has reached the laborious ball stage.
In case your chikki is sticky then this suggests that the jaggery syrup was not cooked for lengthy sufficient.
No, chikki and pralines are usually not the identical. Chikki is an Indian sweet made with jaggery and nuts like cashews, peanuts, almonds or roasted cereals and lentils. Whereas, French praline is made with caramelized sugar and slivered almonds or nuts like hazelnuts, cashews or pecans.
Please you’ll want to price the recipe within the recipe card or depart a remark beneath you probably have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Peanut Chikki Recipe (Peanut Gajak)
Peanut Chikki additionally referred to as Gajak in Hindi is a Indian winter particular candy of crispy, crunchy Peanut Brittle snack. The recipe is made with solely two fundamental elements – peanuts or groundnuts and jaggery. Jaggery is unrefined Indian cane sugar made with sugarcane juice.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 10 minutes
Complete Time 25 minutes
Stop your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Warmth a thick bottomed heavy kadai or pan. Add the peanuts in it.
On a low to medium-low warmth, roast the peanuts stirring usually until they turn out to be crunchy.
Roast until you see some black spots on the peanuts and they need to have a crunch in them. Style just a few peanuts and if it feels uncooked, then proceed to roast.
As soon as the peanuts have gotten roasted effectively, then take away them in a separate plate or tray. Allow them to calm down.
Grease the again of a steel tray or again of a metal plate or a marble board with some oil or ghee.
When the peanuts have turn out to be heat or calm down, then rub them between your palms. The husks peels of simply.
Now to do away with the husks, you should utilize a winnow or use a sieve with giant perforations. Add the peanuts within the sieve and sift. The husks will get sifted simply. Take away the husked peanuts and put aside.
Making jaggery syrup
In the identical kadai or pan, take the jaggery powder. You too can use jaggery block and chop it. If there are impurities, then you have to to pressure the jaggery syup.
Add water to the jaggery powder.
Warmth the kadai or pan on a low flame. With a spatula or spoon, start to stir, so that each one the jaggery will get dissolved.
Carry on stirring the combination usually.
Prepare dinner the jaggery syrup on a low warmth with frequent stirrings.
Whereas the jaggery syrup is cooking, additionally preserve a bowl of chilly water the place you’ll be able to verify the consistency of the syrup.
Carry on cooking until the combination reaches the laborious ball stage.
Add just a few drops of the syrup within the chilly water. It needs to be agency, brittle and break or snap simply.
Making peanut chikki
When the jaggery syrup reaches this tough ball consistency, shortly add the peanuts and provides a fast stir and blend very effectively.
Swap off the warmth and shortly pour the chikki combination on the greased plate or marble board.
Then shortly place a foil or a butter paper or parchment paper on the chikki. combination.
With a rolling pin roll to even out the chikki layer. Roll to a neat even layer.
Subsequent take away the paper after which with a knife, minimize horizontally and vertically to make squares. Let the peanut chikki cool at room temperature.
As soon as cooled, break them and serve peanut chikki. If not serving, then retailer them in an hermetic jar at room temperature.
- The recipe could be doubled.
- Be attentive when cooking jaggery syrup. If its not cooked until laborious ball stage, the chikki might be chewy and stick within the tooth.
- Don’t cook dinner past the laborious ball stage as then the peanut chikki will turn out to be too laborious.
Peanut Chikki Recipe (Peanut Gajak)
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 437 Energy from Fats 234
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 3g19%
Polyunsaturated Fats 8g
Monounsaturated Fats 13g
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 7mg35%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin E 4mg27%
Vitamin Okay 1µg1%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 71µg18%
* P.c Every day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie eating regimen.
This Peanut Chikki recipe submit from the archives, initially revealed in January 2017 has been up to date and republished on January 2022.