If there’s one ever-present breakfast dish in a Maharashtrian family, it needs to be the Poha. Poha recipe with its few variations like Kanda Poha, Batata Poha, Dadpe Pohe and Indori Poha – is the staple preparation with flattened rice, herbs and spices. The one with kanda means there’s onions within the recipe, and the batata one could be an additional addition of potatoes. Each are vegan and gluten-free, and we love each.
The phrase Poha (plural: pohe) refers to 2 issues – the primary one is the ingredient flattened rice itself and the second is the Poha recipe or the dish that’s made with this specific ingredient. Simple to recollect, make and tastes fab. No confusions there, proper?
As talked about above, each the ingredient and dish are a brilliant widespread characteristic in Maharashtra, in addition to then neighboring Indian states of Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and Goa too.
It even reaches the south in Karnataka and Telangana, north in Rajasthan and east in West Bengal and Odisha. The dish can also be consumed as a snack in these states.
In Maharashtra, the two customary variations of the Poha recipe are both made with onions or each onions and potatoes. Kanda Poha (with onions) and Kanda Batata Poha (with onions and potatoes) is what they’re domestically referred to as.
Right here you’ll discover the recipe that includes each onions and potatoes, which you’ll additional modify as per what fits your style buds.
Poha, The Ingredient
Flattened rice, overwhelmed rice or parched rice are totally different phrases that denote the ingredient Poha. It’s made by first parboiling after which flattening the rice grains. This ends in skinny, crisp and dry rice flakes that may be simply damaged or crumbled.
Poha in different Indian regional languages – pauwa (Hindi), paunva (Gujarati), chira (Bengali), phov (Konkani), aval (Tamil and Malayalam), atukulu (Telugu) and avalakki (Kannada).
It’s simply obtainable in India. However exterior India, it may be purchased from an Indian/Asian grocery retailer or on-line.
Primarily, there are 2 to three varieties of flattened rice offered within the markets – one which is papery skinny and the opposite which is a thick selection and medium-thick variant. Whereas each can be utilized interchangeably in lots of recipes, this Poha recipe makes use of the thicker one.
There are different varieties primarily based on the colour. So, we even have pink or brown flattened rice constituted of pink or brown rice, respectively. You may make this recipe with both of those as properly.
Crushed rice absorbs liquids like water or milk when it’s soaked in them. As soon as gentle, you’ll be able to eat it uncooked or prepare dinner it a bit.
Additionally, recipes with flattened rice require little to no cooking. Fast snacks like Poha Chivda will also be made by roasting or frying this ingredient.
Poha, The Dish
This gentle and nutritious breakfast dish is made by mixing overwhelmed rice with spices, curry leaves and seasonings. Along with this, onions, potatoes or each onions and potatoes will also be added. You may say that the Poha recipe is a ridiculously straightforward one.
To extend the dietary profile, it’s also possible to perk up this recipe with grated carrots, boiled inexperienced peas, roasted peanuts, cashews and garnish with a beneficiant quantity of recent coriander leaves and grated recent coconut. When including potatoes, you’ll be able to both fry or steam them.
Together with Kanda Poha and Kanda Batata Poha, one other very distinctive variation of this particular dish is the Indori Poha which is a well-known road meals from Indore, Madhya Pradesh. It has fennel seeds too. Particular toppings are Indori sev, masala boondi, recent pomegranate pearls, and many others.
Aside from Idli, Dosa and Upma, Poha has been a relentless in my life since my childhood years. My mom beloved making it for breakfast, generally for brunch too.
About Kanda Poha Recipe
The Marathi phrase ‘kanda’ means onion and ‘poha’ is flattened rice or overwhelmed rice. Therefore, when in Maharashtra, you’ll be greeted by the phrases Kanda Poha or Kanda Pohe.
This is likely one of the easy methods to herald an additional factor to the plain Poha recipe. I at all times add pink onions which impart a sweetish style to the dish. In case you are not a fan of this number of onions, use both white or yellow onions.
I additionally add potatoes in my recipe. So, think about flattened rice with each onions and potatoes. Fairly the double bonanza, a feast on your palate!
Although you’ll be able to omit including potatoes for those who want. The Marathi phrase “Batata” means potatoes, and thus this recipe will also be known as Batata Poha or Kanda Batata Poha.
I additionally like the flavour of roasted peanuts and coconut in my model. So, I add them each on this recipe. This wholesome and filling dish can also be straightforward to digest. My excellent method of having fun with it’s with a cup of sizzling tea as a happy morning meal.
No matter method, the dish seems to be a wonderful one. Tremendous easy, but flavorful and filling.
There are a number of methods in which you’ll modify this recipe. Every household additionally has their particular recipe. Typically, it’s both with potatoes, onions or each. I add sautéed potatoes, you’ll be able to go for boil or steam ones.
How you can make Poha
1. Choose 1.5 cups thick or medium-thick poha first. Rinse them in clear working water in a strainer or colander. Be sure to not overdo the rinsing. This can make them mushy and pasty.
Rinsing in recent clear water softens them as they soak up water.
2. Sprinkle ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon sugar (or as required) and salt in response to style on the rinsed poha flakes.
3. Gently combine together with your fingers or with a spoon.
4. Dry roast 2 tablespoons peanuts in a heavy pan till they turn out to be crunchy. Maintain apart.
If in case you have nut allergy or don’t like peanuts, merely select to omit including them. As a variation, it’s also possible to add cashews for those who want.
Sauté Batata (Potatoes)
5. Peel 1 medium to giant measurement potato and chop into small cubes. In the identical heavy kadai or pan, warmth 2 to 2.5 tablespoons oil. Sauté the potatoes in medium sizzling oil.
Be sure to chop them in small cubes or else they are going to take extra time to prepare dinner.
6. Sauté them till gentle golden and crisp. Stir them usually whereas sautéing. Be sure that the potatoes are cooked gentle and tender. They shouldn’t be undercooked.
7. As soon as the potatoes turn out to be gentle golden and crisp, take away them with a slotted spoon draining the additional oil. Maintain apart with the roasted peanuts.
Sauté Spices & Onions (Kanda)
8. In the identical kadai, there shall be some oil left. Add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds to the recent oil. If there isn’t any oil, add 1 tablespoon oil and warmth it gently.
9. When the mustard seeds splutter, add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds.
10. When the cumin seeds splutter, add ⅓ cup finely chopped onions. Sauté the onions till they soften and turn out to be translucent.
11. Now, add 8 to 9 curry leaves (medium to giant measurement), 1 teaspoon chopped inexperienced chilies and the roasted peanuts. Combine properly on low warmth.
Make Kanda Poha
12. Add the poha.
13. Combine gently with the remainder of the components.
14. Add the potatoes and blend very properly. Cowl the pan tightly with a lid and steam the poha for about 2 minutes on low warmth. Take away the lid and test the style. If required, add extra salt and sugar.
Tip: While you add the potatoes, if the poha flakes look dry to you, sprinkle about 1 to 2 tablespoons of water throughout. Stir to combine gently and canopy the pan with lid and steam for two to three minutes on a low warmth.
15. Garnish with 2 to three tablespoons chopped coriander leaves and a pair of to three tablespoons grated recent coconut (non-obligatory).
16. Combine gently.
17. Serve Batata Kanda Poha sizzling or heat with lemon wedges. The lemon juice needs to be squeezed on poha earlier than consuming it.
Alternatively, it’s also possible to observe this methodology. When the poha recipe is cooked, drizzle about 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice on it. Combine properly with the poha, garnish with grated coconut and coriander leaves and serve.
You can even prime your poha with sev (wonderful fried gram flour vermicelli) or farsan/combination for those who like.
- Kind of Poha: I exploit each the white and pink varieties to make this dish. So each the varieties can be utilized to make the poha recipe. However at all times use thick or medium-thick poha to make this breakfast dish. Skinny poha will turn out to be a mush and pasty after rinsing and cooking.
- Poha Texture: After rinsing, press a overwhelmed rice flake. It should simply crush or mash whether it is gentle sufficient. You may prepare dinner with this. If not, then it have to be nonetheless dry. On this case, sprinkle little water on the poha flakes and blend gently.
- Rinsing Poha: I often use a colander or strainer to rinse the flattened rice flakes underneath working water and never soak them. Rinsing helps to melt the flakes simply. However take care to not rinse an excessive amount of or soak them in water as this will make the poha mushy or lumpy.
- Greens: To make it more healthy, add boiled peas, finely chopped capsicum and grated carrots or your most popular veggies. Steam, boil, sauté, pan-fry the greens accordingly earlier than you add to your poha.
- Garnish: I garnish my recipe with coriander leaves and grated recent coconut. Whereas I might not counsel you to skip the coriander, you may give the coconut a miss. For some cruncy and crispy texture you could possibly additionally decide to garnish or prime Kanda Poha with sev or farsan.
- Style Preferences: For those who don’t just like the slight candy style within the dish, don’t add sugar. You can even squeeze some lemon juice on the dish earlier than consuming it or decide to not. For a spicy poha recipe, add extra inexperienced chillies.
Extra Indian Breakfast Recipes To Attempt!
Please you’ll want to charge the recipe within the recipe card or depart a remark beneath in case you have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Poha Recipe For Breakfast | Kanda Poha
Poha recipe with its few variations like Kanda Poha, Batata Poha, Dadpe Pohe and Indori Poha – is a staple preparation with flattened rice, herbs and spices. The one with kanda means there’s onions within the recipe, and the batata one could be an additional addition of potatoes. This recipe has each and is a straightforward tasty poha which you could make on your on a regular basis breakfast.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 20 minutes
Whole Time 30 minutes
Stop your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Choose the poha first of any particles or small stones. Rinse the poha flakes in clear working water in a strainer or colander twice or thrice.
Just remember to don’t rinse it an excessive amount of or else it breaks and will get mushy. Whereas rinsing, the poha flakes soak up sufficient water and so they turn out to be gentle.
The poha flakes should turn out to be gentle however stay intact, complete and separate. If they don’t turn out to be gentle, add a splash of water on them within the strainer until they get softened.
After rinsing, the poha flakes ought to free their crunchiness and once you break them between your fingers, they need to simply get crushed or mashed.
When the poha have softened properly, sprinkle the turmeric powder, sugar and salt evenly on the poha. Gently combine with a spoon or with clear fingers.
Roast the peanuts in a small frying pan until they turn out to be crunchy and put aside.
Additionally peel the potatoes and chop them into small cubes.
Making kanda batata poha
In a heavy kadai, warmth oil. Sauté the potatoes in medium sizzling oil until gentle golden and crisp. Stir them usually for even frying.
Take away the potatoes with a slotted spoon and put aside.
In the identical kadai, there shall be some oil left. Add mustard seeds to the recent oil. If there isn’t any oil, then add 1 tablespoon oil and warmth it gently.
When the mustard seeds splutter, add the cumin seeds.
When the cumin seeds crackle, add the onions. Sauté the onions until they turn out to be translucent and soften.
Now add the curry leaves, inexperienced chili and roasted peanuts. Sauté for a minute.
Add the fried potatoes after which the rinsed poha. Combine gently with the remainder of the sautéed components.
Cowl the pan tightly with a lid for the poha to get steamed for about 2 minutes on low warmth.
Take away the lid and test the style and if required add extra salt and sugar.
Flip off the warmth and canopy the pan tightly with a lid for the poha to get steamed for a couple of minutes.
Take away the lid and garnish with chopped coriander leaves and grated recent coconut.
Serve Kanda Poha sizzling with chopped lemon items. The lemon juice needs to be squeezed on the poha earlier than consuming it.
Alternatively, you could possibly additionally observe this methodology. As soon as the poha is cooked, sprinkle about 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice on it.
Combine after which garnish it with coconut and coriander leaves.
- Texture: After rinsing the poha flakes, press just a few flakes and in the event that they get crushed or mashed simply then they’re gentle sufficient to be cooked. If they’re dry or crunchy, sprinkle some splash of water on them and gently combine.
- Rinsing: I at all times rinse these poha flakes in a strainer or colander underneath working water and don’t soak them in water. Rinsing softens them simply. However for those who get a tough number of poha which don’t soften on rinsing, soak them in water for a couple of minutes till they soften.
- Veggies: To make poha recipe extra nutritious, decide so as to add boiled peas, finely chopped caspsicum or grated carrots or your most popular veggies. Selected to steam/boil/sauté/pan fry the vegetable as wanted earlier than you add to the poha.
- Garnish: I like so as to add grated recent coconut however it’s non-obligatory. Do add coriander leaves and don’t skip them. For those who like crunchy and crispy texture, prime some sev or combination or farsan in your poha.
- Kind of poha: Each white and pink poha might be added within the recipe. Additionally you’ll want to use thick or medium-thick number of poha. Take care to not use skinny poha flakes as they are going to turn out to be a mush after rinsing and cooking.
- Taste & Style Additions: Including sugar is non-obligatory. You may skip it fully for those who don’t want a barely candy style within the kanda batata poha. You could possibly additionally decide to not add lemon juice to your poha. For a spicy poha, add extra inexperienced chillies. For those who like ginger, be happy so as to add finely chopped or minced ginger.
- Scaling: Simply scale the recipe to cut back or improve the servings in response to your wants.
Poha Recipe For Breakfast | Kanda Poha
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 258 Energy from Fats 153
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 4g25%
Vitamin A 119IU2%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 32mg160%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 55mg67%
Vitamin E 5mg33%
Vitamin Okay 1µg1%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 333µg83%
* P.c Each day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie food regimen.
This Poha Recipe submit from the archives first revealed in August 2013 has been up to date and republished on March 2023.