This Poori Masala is a scrumptious lodge fashion recipe to make the potato curry or gravy that’s all the time loved with poori. This dish will get its title Poori Masala or Puri Curry as it’s served as a aspect dish with Poori (Indian fry bread). This South Indian Puri Curry is made with boiled potatoes, a number of onions, spices, lentils and herbs. Make this flavorful and attractive dish for a comforting weekend breakfast.
About Poori Masala
There are a lot of potato based mostly curries made within the huge Indian delicacies. The Poori Masala is a particular and distinctive potato gravy that’s largely served with poori. However the gravy is so good that it additionally tastes nice with Dosa or poha dosa, Rava Dosa and even phulka.
This mix of poori with a potato gravy could be very well-liked throughout India. Whereas the poori recipe stays the identical, the potato gravy takes on totally different flavors and tastes.
This recipe is a South Indian variation of North Indian Aloo Puri and its style could be very totally different than the North Indian variations. As sometimes elements like mustard seeds, lentils, curry leaves and so on are usually not used within the North Indian variants.
The South Indian variants additionally embody loads of onions whereas making this dish. Even within the varied South Indian states and areas, this dish has some variations. Within the state of Maharashtra, it’s made once more very in another way and often known as Poori Bhaji.
The dish is a kind of curried potato dishes that I generally make on Sundays. Not that I make poori each time. I additionally make phulka or dosa to go together with this dish.
Poori Curry makes for a superb breakfast or lunch or brunch. Once I took the photographs, I had additionally made Aamras to go together with the poori. This mix of aamras and any potato sabji with pooris is simply too good.
You may serve the potato gravy with Poori or phulka or with a aspect of chopped onions or coconut chutney.
make Poori Masala
Cook dinner Potatoes
1. First rinse 2 giant sized potatoes (about 400 grams) in recent water a number of instances. Then Boil or steam the potatoes in a stovetop strain cooker or steamer or On the spot pot.
If strain cooking, then strain prepare dinner for five to six whistles on medium warmth including sufficient water overlaying the potatoes. They need to be softened and fork tender.
2. When the potatoes are nonetheless heat, peel and crumble them. It’s also possible to chop them and hold them apart. It is best to be capable of get 2 cups of tightly packed crumbled potatoes.
Sauté Spices, Onions
3. Warmth 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan or kadai or wok. You should utilize any impartial flavored oil. Decrease the warmth and add 1 teaspoon mustard seeds. Crackle them.
4. Then add the next elements:
- 2 teaspoons chana dal (husked cut up bengal gram)
- 1teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1teaspoon urad dal (husked cut up black gram) – elective
5. Stir and fry until the lentils change into golden. Be certain that the lentils turned golden however mustn’t get burnt. So stir usually on a low warmth.
6. Then add 2 teaspoons finely chopped ginger, 2 to threeteaspoons chopped inexperienced chilies and 10 to 12 curry leaves.
You may scale back the quantity of inexperienced chilies in order for you. The chilies I used had been very gentle, so I added 2 of them.
7. Then add 8 to 10 cashews, which have been chopped. Be happy to skip cashews you probably have nut allergy.
8. Stir after which add 1 cup tightly packed thinly sliced onions (1 giant onion, sliced). As a substitute of onions you possibly can add shallots or pearl onions.
9. Add a pinch of asafoetida (hing) and ⅓ to ½ teaspoon turmeric powder.
To make a gluten-free dish you possibly can skip asafoetida and serve this Poori Curry with dosa or roti or poori constituted of gluten-free flours or millet flours.
10. Stir and blend very nicely. Saute the onions on low to medium low warmth stirring usually until they flip translucent.
11. Now add 2 teaspoons besan or gram flour.
12. Stir and blend the gram flour very nicely with the remainder of the elements.
13. Add ¼ cup chopped tomatoes (about 1 small tomato, chopped). Tomatoes give a lightweight tang to the dish.
Including tomato is elective and you may skip it. Stir and saute the tomatoes for two minutes.
Make Poori Masala
14. Then add 1.25 to 1.5 cups water. You may differ the quantity of water relying upon the consistency you like.
For a thicker consistency add much less water and for a barely thinner gravy consistency add a bit extra water.
15. Stir and blend very nicely.
16. Convey this combination to a simmer with out a lid for about 4 to five minutes on low to medium warmth.
17. Now add the crumbled or chopped potatoes and stir very nicely.
18. Cowl the pan with a lid and simmer the gravy for 4 to five minutes on low to medium warmth.
The gravy ought to thicken and have the precise consistency that isn’t too thick nor skinny. However in line with your preferences, you possibly can differ the consistency.
19. Season with salt as per style. Combine the salt with the remainder of the puri curry. It’s also possible to add a little bit of sugar in order for you.
20. Lastly add 2 to three tablespoons of chopped coriander leaves. Stir very nicely and change off the warmth.
21. Serve South Indian Poori Masala with poori or chapati or dosa or paratha. It makes for a filling and comforting meal for breakfast or lunch.
Please be sure you charge the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark under you probably have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Poori Masala Recipe | Puri Curry
This South Indian Poori masala or Puri Curry is made with boiled potatoes, aromatics, herbs, lentils and spices. Make this flavorful and attractive potato gravy for a comforting breakfast. Finest paired with poori and likewise pairs nicely with dosa or chapati.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook dinner Time 20 minutes
Whole Time 40 minutes
Forestall your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Rinse the potatoes very nicely in water Boil or steam them in a strain cooker or steamer or On the spot Pot. If strain cooking, then strain prepare dinner for five to six whistles on medium warmth with water utterly overlaying the potatoes.
Cook dinner potatoes till they’re softened and fork tender. Drain the water and put aside the potatoes to chill.
When the potatoes are nonetheless heat, peel and crumble them. It’s also possible to chop them and hold apart.
Peel, rinse and thinly slice the onions. Additionally chop the tomatoes, ginger, inexperienced chilies and coriander leaves. Rinse and dry the curry leaves in a kitchen towel. Chop the cashews.
Sautéing spices, onions and tomatoes
Warmth in a pan or kadai (wok). Decrease the warmth and add mustard seeds. Crackle them.
Then add the chana dal, cumin seeds and urad dal (elective).
Stir and fry until the dals or lentils change into golden making certain that they don’t burn.
Add finely chopped ginger, chopped inexperienced chilies and curry leaves.
Then add the cashews, which have been chopped.
Stir after which add the thinly sliced onions.
Add a pinch of asafoetida and turmeric powder.
Stir very nicely and sauté the onions until they change into translucent.
Now add the besan or gram flour. Combine the besan very nicely with the remainder of the elements.
Add chopped tomatoes. Including tomatoes are elective and you may skip it. Stir and sauté the tomatoes for two minutes.
Making Poori Masala
Then add water. Combine very nicely.
Convey this combination to a simmer. About 4 to five minutes on a low to medium warmth.
Now add the crumbled or chopped potatoes and stir very nicely.
Cowl and simmer the potato gravy for 4 to five minutes on a low to medium warmth. The gravy ought to thicken and have a proper consistency which isn’t too thick nor skinny.
Season with salt as per style. Combine the salt with the remainder of the potato gravy. It’s also possible to add a little bit of sugar in order for you.
Lastly add the chopped coriander leaves. Stir very nicely and change off the warmth.
Serve Poori Masala or Puri Curry with poori or chapati or dosa.
- Use starchy potatoes varieties like russet or yukon gold.
- The potatoes might be steamed or boiled in a pan or On the spot Pot or in a stove-top strain cooker including water as wanted.
- You may select to skip gram flour (besan) when you wouldn’t have it or swap it with chickpea flour.
- Alter the consistency of the gravy a bit by making it thick or barely skinny by including much less or extra water.
- For a gluten free model, skip asafoetida. And to make a gluten-free meal, serve the potato gravy with dosa or puri/roti made with gluten free flours or millet flours.
- Retailer any leftovers within the refrigerate for a day solely. The leftover gravy might be reheated in a small frying pan or sauté pan including water as wanted if in case the gravy has thickened.
Poori Masala Recipe | Puri Curry
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 281 Energy from Fats 108
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g6%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 9g
Vitamin A 269IU5%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 40mg200%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 102mg124%
Vitamin E 4mg27%
Vitamin Okay 7µg7%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 442µg111%
* % Day by day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie eating regimen.
This Poori Masala recipe put up from the archives first revealed in June 2015 has been republished and up to date on 3 October 2021.