I’d prefer to name this recipe as one other tribute to the standard, staple, but unmissable root vegetable in our kitchens, the aloo or potato. As attention-grabbing or distinctive as it might sound, the fact is that this Potato Sagu is an easy, vegan and engaging fashion of creating a potato curry with some herbs and spices. This can be a delicacy from the delicacies of Karnataka and is normally served with poori, chapatis and even dosa or idli.
About Poori Sagu
Principally, one other regional variation to the potato curry that’s the ubiquitous pairing with a poori, I occurred to get a style of it whereas residing in Bengaluru or Bangalore. Though there, I attempted the Potato Sagu with a rava idli at one of many MTR (Mavalli Tiffin Room) eating places.
Even this specific rava idli at this eatery was a bigger one, as in comparison with what we made at residence. It got here with a aspect of the Potato Sagu and coconut coriander chutney, and altered the easy deal, right into a deliciously superb one. You must strive my model of this Coriander Coconut Chutney too.
Identical to this Potato Sagu being served with pooris, the potato curry-poori mixture is sort of a favourite and chosen one throughout the Indian subcontinent.
You can find completely different regional variations as you alter a state. The North Indian states have their very own distinct recipes like this Aloo Puri, so is the case with South Indian states.
A preferred Goan manner of getting ready it’s the patal bhaji, the dry model of which is named sukha bhaji. Aside from the Karnataka particular Potato Sagu, a typical potato preparation referred to as Poori Masala is well-known in Tamil Nadu. All of those are normally loved with pooris.
I’ve additionally travelled loads in Maharashtra and discovered that the Marathi fashion Poori Bhaji is a pleasant breakfast possibility accessible in lots of eating places, motels in addition to dhabas (roadside eateries) there.
Extra on Bombay Sagu
Potato Sagu can also be well-known as Bombay Sagu. Although, it’s fairly a thriller to me, even until in the present day, as to why it’s referred to as so. I’ve by no means seen or heard of something of this type within the eateries of Mumbai, not even the Udupi eating places.
Whilst you’re at this recipe of Potato Sagu, I’d additionally like to say about one in every of my different favourite aloo curry recipes, the Banarasi fashion aloo ki sabzi with pooris.
I attempted it throughout my journey to the holy metropolis of Banaras or Varanasi, and since then the style has caught with me. Although, it was just like my recipe of Aloo Rasedar.
You’ll actually be pleased whereas making this Potato Sagu because it doesn’t require a lot time to get completed. You simply want to start by boiling the potatoes, the remainder of the tactic is tremendous straightforward.
I like the flavour of this dish with onions, so have added them. You can also make it a no onion curry too. Inexperienced peas additionally style good on this dish.
Additionally, normally the Potato Sagu curry has a medium consistency, not thick or skinny however if you wish to make it with a barely thinner consistency, that’s doable too and tastes simply as pretty. If you happen to don’t really feel like crumbling the potatoes, you may chop them too.
Along with this Potato Sagu, there’s a variation of sagu that’s made with combined greens and is named Veg Sagu. You’ll be able to serve any of those with poori, chapati, rava idli, set dosa, neer dosa, poha dosa and even plain dosa. A aspect of coconut chutney can also be an excellent possibility.
Find out how to make Bombay Sagu
1. Rinse 3 to 4 medium potatoes very properly after which boil or steam in a stress cooker. If stress cooking, stress cook dinner for 4 to five whistles. The potatoes needs to be cooked until mushy and of a mashable consistency.
For stovetop stress cooking, place the potatoes in a 3 litre stress cooker. Add water virtually overlaying the potatoes. It’s also possible to add a couple of pinches of salt when you choose.
Strain cook dinner on medium warmth for 4 to five whistles. When the stress drops naturally within the cooker, then solely open the lid.
Utilizing tongs eliminated the cooked potatoes and place them on a plate to chill.
2. When the potatoes are nonetheless heat, peel and crumble them. It’s also possible to chop them and hold apart.
Make Potato Sagu
3. In a pan, warmth 1 tablespoon oil. Add 1 teaspoon mustard seeds and allow them to splutter on low warmth.
4. When the mustard seeds splutter, add 1 teaspoon urad dal and 1 teaspoon chana dal.
5. Stir and sauté on low warmth stirring typically until the lentils develop into golden.
6. Then, add ⅔ cup chopped onions.
7. Sauté the onions until translucent on low to medium-low warmth.
8. Now, add 1 or 2 chopped inexperienced chilies, 1 teaspoon chopped ginger and 10 to 12 curry leaves.
9. Subsequent, add ¼ cup chopped tomatoes.
10. On low to medium warmth, sauté the combination for two minutes. Then, add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder and a pinch asafoetida.
11. Combine and proceed to sauté for two extra minutes.
12. Then, add 2 teaspoons gram flour (besan).
13. Combine the gram flour properly with the onion-tomato combination and sauté for a minute.
14. Add 1.25 cups water.
15. Stir and blend properly.
16. Convey your complete combination to a mild boil.
17. Add the crumbled potatoes.
18. Combine the potatoes with the remainder of the curry.
19. Season with salt.
20. Cowl the pan with a lid and simmer the potato curry on low warmth for 7 to eight minutes or until the curry thickens. Test a couple of times whereas simmering.
21. The curry ought to have a medium consistency and shouldn’t be thick or skinny. A slight skinny consistency can also be wonderful. Test the style, add extra salt if required.
22. Lastly, add 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves and swap off the warmth.
23. Serve Bombay Sagu sizzling with poori, dosa, rava idli, chapati or paratha.
Please make sure to charge the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark beneath when you have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Poori Sagu | Bombay Sagu | Potato Sagu
Bombay Sagu or Potato sagu or Poori Sagu is a evenly spiced potato curry that’s served with pooris. This scrumptious South Indian fashion potato preparation may also be served with dosa, chapati or rava idli.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 30 minutes
Whole Time 50 minutes
Forestall your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Rinse 3 to 4 medium potatoes very properly after which boil or steam them in a stress cooker. If stress cooking, then stress cook dinner for 4 to five whistles.
When the potatoes are nonetheless heat, peel and crumble them. It’s also possible to chop them and hold apart.
Making potato sagu
In a pan warmth oil. Add mustard seeds and allow them to splutter.
When the mustard seeds begin to splutter, add urad dal and chana dal.
Stir and saute until the dals develop into golden.
Then add the chopped onion. Sauté the onions until translucent.
Now add chopped inexperienced chillies and ginger and in addition 7 to eight curry leaves.
Subsequent add chopped tomatoes.
Saute for two minutes after which add turmeric powder and asafoetida.
Combine and proceed to saute for two extra minutes.
Then add the besan or gram flour.
Combine the besan very properly and saute for a minute.
Add 1.25 cups water. Stir and blend properly.
Convey your complete combination to a mild boil.
Add the crumbled potatoes.
Combine the potatoes with the remainder of the curry.
Season with salt. Cowl the pan with a lid and simmer potato sagu on a low flame for 7 to eight minutes or extra until the gravy thickens. Do verify a couple of times when simmering.
The potato sagu gravy ought to have a medium consistency and shouldn’t be thick or skinny.
A slight skinny consistency can also be wonderful. Test the style and add extra salt if required.
Lastly add the chopped coriander leaves and swap off the warmth.
Serve potato sagu with dosa, rava idli, chapati, paratha or pooris.
Poori Sagu | Bombay Sagu | Potato Sagu
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 172 Energy from Fats 54
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g6%
Polyunsaturated Fats 0.5g
Monounsaturated Fats 4g
Vitamin A 444IU9%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.1mg7%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.1mg6%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 28mg140%
Vitamin B6 0.3mg15%
Vitamin C 77mg93%
Vitamin E 2mg13%
Vitamin Okay 6µg6%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 316µg79%
* P.c Day by day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie eating regimen.
This Poori Sagu from the archives first revealed in April 2016 has been republished and up to date on January 2023.