Pudina Rice or Pudina Pulao is a aromatic, spicy and engaging one-pot dish made with contemporary mint leaves, basmati rice, onion, tomato, some extra spices and herbs. I additionally embody some inexperienced peas and potatoes to make it hearty, flavorful and satisfying dish. This inexperienced coloured Mint Rice can be a vegan and gluten-free recipe.
About Pudina Rice
Mint (Pudina in Hindi), is a aromatic herb utilized in Indian delicacies in numerous methods. This easy and simple pudina pulao has mint leaves as one of many principal components.
In addition to mint leaves some coriander leaves, coconut, onion, inexperienced chilies and entire spices are additionally added. Thus the ultimate result’s a spicy flavored green-colored mint rice with beautiful flavors and tastes excellent. It isn’t solely tasty but in addition wholesome.
I typically additionally add different veggies like carrots, cauliflower and bell pepper. It’s also possible to contemplate so as to add greens like french beans, corn, broccoli, beetroot.
This pudina rice is finest served with some plain yogurt or onion-tomato raita or boondi raita. It’s also possible to serve some papad or salad or pickle as a aspect. Mint rice may also be packed for lunch field.
The way to make Pudina Rice
1. Rinse the 1 cup basmati rice (200 grams) until the water runs away from the starch. Soak the rice in water for 20 to half-hour.
It’s also possible to use some other number of non-sticky rice. To make it extra wholesome you may also use brown rice. Nevertheless with brown rice the cooking time and the proportion of water will change.
Relying upon the model and high quality of brown rice use your individual judgement when cooking with it.
2. After 20 to half-hour, drain all the water from the rice. Hold the soaked rice apart.
3. In the meantime, when the rice is soaking, prep the opposite components. Take the next listed components in a blender or grinder.
- 1 cup chopped mint leaves
- ½ cup chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
- ½ teaspoon chopped ginger
- ½ teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 or 2 chopped inexperienced chilies, or ½ to 1 teaspoon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped coconut or 2 tablespoons coconut milk or grated coconut
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
Notice that For those who don’t have contemporary coconut, then you may also add 2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut as a substitute
4. Add 2 to three tablespoons of water and mix to a clean paste. Add extra water if required whereas mixing.
5. Warmth 2 tablespoons oil (any impartial flavored oil) in a 2 litre stovetop stress cooker.
Add the next entire spices listed under and fry them for some seconds until they splutter and turns into fragrant.
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 tej patta (Indian bay leaf)
- 2 inexperienced cardamoms
- 3 cloves
- 2 to three single strands of mace
- 1 small piece of stone flower (stone flower is elective). Although in case you have then do add. Stone flower or kalpasi give a pleasant earthy taste to biryanis and pulaos.
6. Add ½ cup of thinly sliced onions. About 1 medium-sized onion that has been thinly sliced.
7. Saute stirring typically until the onions begin to flip golden.
8. Then add the bottom mint paste.
9. Add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder and ¼ teaspoon pink chili powder (or cayenne pepper or paprika). Stir and saute the masala paste for a minute or two.
10. Then add chopped potatoes, tomatoes and inexperienced peas. About 1 small to medium sized potato, chopped, 1 small tomato, chopped and ¼ heaped cup contemporary or frozen peas. Stir and blend properly.
11. Add the strained rice and blend gently. The oil ought to coat the rice grains properly. Stir and sauté for a minute on low warmth.
Prepare dinner Pudina Pulao
12. Add 1.5 to 2 cups of water. Stir properly. I added 2 cups since I had used natural basmati rice and we desire the rice grains to be cooked properly.
12. Add 1.5 to 2 cups of water. Stir and blend properly.
I added 2 cups of water since I had used natural basmati rice and we desire the rice grains to be cooked properly.
1.5 cups of water will give an al dente texture and may be added for the common Indian manufacturers of basmati rice.
13. Add salt as required. Stir once more.
Tip: The style of the water needs to be barely salty as like that of ocean water.
14. Cowl the lid tightly and stress prepare dinner the rice on a excessive warmth for two to three whistles until the rice grains are cooked.
When the stress settles down by itself, then solely take away the lid and gently fluff the rice.
15. Serve Pudina Rice scorching with plain curd (yogurt) or with onion-tomato raita or spiced boondi raita or cucumber raita.
It’s also possible to drizzle some lemon juice will consuming. I additionally prefer to have some pickle or papad whereas having this flavorful pudina pulao.
It may also be packed for tiffin field. It makes for a wholesome, hearty and satisfying meal which you can put together for lunch or dinner.
- The time for cooking varies the standard of rice and soaking time. Simply soak the rice for 20 to half-hour after which drain it. If the rice is soaked for an extended time frame, then they develop into mushy whereas cooking.
- If you don’t soak the rice, then it’s important to enhance the quantity of water in addition to the stress cooking time. For finest outcomes, it’s higher to soak rice for 20 to half-hour.
- To make it extra nutritious, you may also add veggies like peas, carrots, cauliflower, beans to make the dish extra more healthy. Normally, I add peas or each peas & potatoes.
- I’ve it made within the stress cooker, however you may also simply make it in a pan or on the spot pot. If making in a pan or pot, enhance the quantity of water to 2.5 cups or extra if required.
Extra Rice recipes
Please you’ll want to charge the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark under in case you have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Pudina Rice | Pudina Pulao | Mint Rice
This one-pot Pudina Rice or Mint Rice is a aromatic, spicy and engaging dish made with contemporary mint leaves, basmati rice, onion, tomato, spices and herbs. I additionally embody some potatoes and inexperienced peas within the Pudina Pulao to make it hearty, flavorful and a satisfying dish.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 15 minutes
Whole Time 45 minutes
Forestall your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Rinse the 1 cup basmati rice (200 grams) until the water runs away from the starch. Soak the rice in water for 20 to half-hour.
After 20 to half-hour, drain the water from the rice. Set the soaked rice apart.
In the meantime, when the rice is soaking, prep the opposite components.
Take the chopped mint leaves, coriander leaves, ginger, garlic, inexperienced chilies, chopped coconut or coconut milk or grated coconut, coriander seeds, cumin seeds in a chutney grinder or small grinder or blender.
Add 2 to three tablespoons of water and grind to a clean paste. Add extra water if required whereas grinding.
Making pudina rice
Warmth 2 tablespoons oil in a 2 litre stovetop stress cooker.
Add the next entire spices – cinnamon, tej patta, inexperienced cardamoms, cloves, mace strands and a small piece of stone flower. Including stone flower is elective.
On low warmth, fry the spices for some seconds until they develop into fragrant.
Then add sliced onions.
Saute until the onions develop into golden. Then add the bottom mint paste.
Add turmeric powder and pink chili powder. Stir and sauté the masala paste for a minute or two.
Then add chopped potatoes, tomatoes and inexperienced peas. Stir and blend.
Add the strained rice and stir gently. The oil ought to coat the rice grains properly. Stir and sauté for a minute.
Cooking pudina rice
Add 1.5 to 2 cups of water. Stir and blend properly.
- I added 2 cups since I had used natural basmati rice and we desire the rice grains to be cooked properly. 1.5 cups will give an al dente texture and may be added for the common Indian manufacturers of basmati rice.
Add salt as required. Stir and blend once more.
Cowl the lid tightly and stress prepare dinner on excessive warmth for two to three whistles until the rice grains are cooked and tender.
When the stress settles down by itself, then solely open the lid and gently fluff the rice.
Serve Pudina Rice scorching with plain curd (yogurt) or with onion-tomato raita or boondi raita.
- You may’t scale this recipe simply because it has a posh mix of spices and herbs. When making an enormous batch, eyeball the components and use your judgment or discretion.
- It’s also possible to make it mint rice in a pan or an on the spot pot. Add water as wanted and prepare dinner until the veggies are softened and the rice grains have develop into tender and the water has been absolutely absorbed.
- You may fluctuate the warmth and the spicing within the recipe based on your style buds. This pulao has a spicy style.
- To make this dish extra wholesome contemplate including veggies like carrots, broccoli, french beans, beetroot, cauliflower, bell pepper (capsicum) and candy corn.
Pudina Rice | Pudina Pulao | Mint Rice
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 425 Energy from Fats 99
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 2g13%
Vitamin A 1261IU25%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 3mg15%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 35mg42%
Vitamin E 4mg27%
Vitamin Ok 17µg16%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 55µg14%
* P.c Every day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie weight-reduction plan.
This Pudina Rice recipe from the weblog archives first revealed in April 2010 has been republished and up to date on January 2023.