One in all my most favourite candy dishes made through the Navratri Fasting interval is that this Pumpkin Halwa. Sure, this vegetable cooks fantastically and absorbs the flavors from the remainder of the elements fairly amazingly. The most effective half can be the truth that due to the pure coloration of this veggie, the Kaddu Ka Halwa will get a stunning orange coloration to it. Subtly flavored, this halwa is kind of simple to organize and makes for a pleasant dessert as properly.
About Pumpkin Halwa
This Kaddu Ka Halwa is an excellent, duper simple Indian dessert recipe. And I’ll give the complete credit score for this wonderful recipe to my mother-in-law. Your entire halwa will get cooked in a strain cooker, making it a fuss-free one-pot dessert, that saves on time and vitality as properly. Nonetheless, you can also make the halwa in a pan as properly.
One other recipe that’s comes actually near this Pumpkin Halwa is that this in style South Indian model Kashi Halwa. This explicit recipe is made with white pumpkin, which is also called ash gourd, ‘petha’ in Hindi, ‘poosanikai’ in Tamil and ‘kumbalanga’ in Malayalam.
There may be not a lot of ghee or oil used on this recipe of Kaddu Ka Halwa as in contrast to what’s normally added to different halwa recipes that are inclined to make them tremendous wealthy. So, this halwa is definitely a superb possibility as a dessert after your meals.
I additionally all the time add some melon seeds (magaz) on this Pumpkin Halwa as this mixture works wonders for the palate. Along with melon seeds, you possibly can add extra nuts like almonds and cashews.
As I discussed at first too, this Kaddu Ka Halwa is ready at my residence for Navratri quick, and fairly a success dish. A number of extra fasting dishes which can be a typical at residence embody the traditional Sabudana Khichdi, Kuttu Ka Paratha, Sabudana Vada and Singhare Ki Poori.
Extra with Pumpkin
Pumpkin or ‘kaddu’ as it’s referred to as in Hindi language, is a vegetable that is probably not as in style as others, however absolutely is a flexible ingredient within the culinary world. Not simply the fruit of the pumpkin plant, the leaves, flowers, seeds and the oil from the seeds are additionally used to make a wide range of dishes in numerous cuisines internationally.
Additionally it is a well-liked alternative of veggie in India, through the fasting (vrat) season, particularly in Navratri. The Kaddu Ka Halwa together with this Kaddu Ki Sabji are two of the commonest dishes that get cooked at my residence. I’m positive it’s, for lots of others too, particularly those staying in North India.
Along with this Pumpkin Halwa, there’s much more that may be performed with pumpkins. For example, it’s a frequent addition within the South Indian particular Sambar. There are typical methods during which it’s consumed by Bengalis too.
Apart from frying pumpkin flowers in a spiced batter to make kumro phooler bora, the flesh is mashed with mustard oil, some chopped onions, coriander leaves and salt. That is then relished as a kumro bhaate with steamed rice.
- It’s best to freshly chop the pumpkin and use it to make this halwa. Utilizing canned puree might not provide the similar texture within the halwa and gained’t style good.
- If you wish to make the halwa, chances are you’ll improve the amount of ghee in it.
- You’ll be able to regulate the amount of sugar relying on the sweetness of the pumpkin.
- Raisins and a few coconut will also be added within the halwa.
- You’ll be able to serve the halwa both heat or chilled. Retailer leftovers in an air-tight field or container in a fridge. However make certain to devour inside 3 to 4 days. Additionally, reheat in a pan or microwave earlier than serving.
- If making in a pan, add ¾ to 1 cup water when the pumpkin cubes start to lose water. Then, stir, cowl and prepare dinner until the pumpkin items soften fully. In the event you really feel the water has dried up, you possibly can add extra water. Then, proceed as required.
Please remember to price the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark under if in case you have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Pumpkin Halwa | Kaddu Ka Halwa
Pumpkin Halwa known as Kaddu Ka Halwa in Hindi. Subtly flavored, this halwa variant made with pumpkin together with cardamom, melon seeds and nuts – is kind of simple to organize and makes for a pleasant dessert as properly.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook dinner Time 30 minutes
Complete Time 40 minutes
Stop your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
- Rinse the pumpkin or kaddu first in water. Peel and chop into small cubes. Smaller the higher as they’ll prepare dinner sooner. Additionally, take away the pith and seeds whereas chopping.
Warmth the oil or ghee in a 3 litre strain cooker.
Add the pumpkin cubes within the strain cooker.
Combine and sauté until they begin releasing water or for about 8 to 10 minutes on a low warmth.
Add water and stir to mix.
Cowl and strain prepare dinner the kaddu items for 4 to five whistles or till the pumpkin has change into mushy.
*For making the halwa in a pan, verify notes under.
Open the lid solely when the strain drops naturally within the cooker.
And verify if the kaddu items have softened or not.
They need to be of mashable consistency.
In the event that they haven’t cooked totally, then strain prepare dinner for few extra minutes, including some extra water, if required.
As soon as the kaddu items have cooked properly then place the strain cooker on stovetop and maintain to simmer on low to medium-low hat.
After 1 to 2 minutes of simmering, add sugar and cardamom powder.
Cook dinner the combination stirring usually until it thickens.
The consistency of the halwa ought to like be a pudding or pumpkin puree.
The water ought to scale back within the halwa.
You’ll be able to thicken it extra in order for you.
Add the melon seeds and chopped nuts and prepare dinner the halwa for 1 to 2 minutes extra.
Serve pumpkin halwa heat or chilly.
You can even garnish it with melon seeds or most well-liked nuts. Refrigerate the leftovers. This halwa retains properly for 1 to 2 days within the fridge.
- * If making in a pan, when the pumpkin cubes start to launch water, add ¾ to 1 cup water from above. Stir and canopy and prepare dinner until the pumpkin items have softened fully. If the water dries up then add extra water. Then proceed with the remainder of the recipe.
- Add sugar as wanted. Instead of sugar you too can add jaggery. With jaggery the colour of the Kaddu ka Halwa will change.
- Add nuts and dry fruits of your alternative. You can even add some raisins and coconut if you happen to choose.
Pumpkin Halwa | Kaddu Ka Halwa
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 296 Energy from Fats 126
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 2g13%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 8g
Vitamin A 8229IU165%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.1mg7%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.1mg6%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 0.1mg5%
Vitamin C 9mg11%
Vitamin E 5mg33%
Vitamin Okay 2µg2%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 17µg4%
* P.c Each day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie weight loss program.
This Pumpkin Halwa from the archives first printed in October 2013 has been up to date and republished on December 2022.