From being a superfood loaded with well being advantages, a preferred ingredient throughout vrat (Hindu fasting) season, an auspicious providing to Gods and Goddesses, a wholesome snack choice and extra – makhana/phool makhana is really a fabulous meals. The Roasted Makhana is the simplest method in which you’ll devour this nutritious edible a part of the prickly water lily plant. Comply with the steps of this Roasted Makhana recipe (Phool Makhana recipe) and luxuriate in it with your loved ones and associates.
Makhana generally known as phool makhana, foxnuts or gorgon nuts are the puffed edible seeds of the Euryale ferox plant or prickly water lily.
A local to jap Asia, the house of those vegetation are the marshy waters of ponds/wetlands the place they develop and flourish the very best.
There isn’t a use of any pesticides or fertilizers in its cultivation. Thus, making these seeds fully natural in nature.
Makhana, lotus seeds or foxnuts are a wonderful supply of proteins, calcium, carbohydrates, iron, phosphorous, zinc and thiamine. Due to its impartial style and the flexibility to soak up flavours, it may be spiced up in accordance with private decisions.
This Roasted Makhana recipe of Phool Makhana recipe provides you a straightforward method to take action. It’s also possible to simply roast the seeds and as soon as they’re cool, retailer them in an air-tight container.
Pop them everytime you wish to snack flippantly and in a wholesome method. Is a good alternative on your film marathons or Netflix binge-watching classes as nicely. Higher than that bathtub of popcorn!
Historical past of Makhana
Makhana, phool makhana or foxnuts have been thought of as an vital meals merchandise within the historic science of Ayurveda and in conventional Chinese language medication too for 3000 years.
In India, Madhubani within the Mithilanchal area of Bihar is named the ‘motherland’ of makhana. Historical past mentions the cultivation of makhana on this area throughout the 18th century, by an impoverished group of farmers utilizing conventional strategies.
It’s from right here that makhana traveled to different elements of India and now has reached international locations like Canada, Pakistan, Malaysia, Bangladesh, and so forth.
So as to give an enormous push to exports, makhana additionally known as as ‘black diamond,’ is being thought of for a Geographical Indication (GI) Tag by the federal government of India.
For which, it’s already present process strict high quality checks in Madhubani, Bihar. As soon as that is accomplished, the state of Bihar will formally have the rights to say makhana as its unique produce.
About Roasted Makhana
I’ve been a fan of makhana because the time I’ve tasted the Makhana Kheer and likewise the Roasted Makhana (Masala Makhana) that’s repeatedly made at my house.
I additionally make different savory dishes with this marvel ingredient and all of them are supreme in style.
This Roasted Makhana makes for in-between lunch snack or night snack that’s excessive on vitamin. You’ll be able to take pleasure in it guilt-free along with your chai or espresso.
So far as spicing this Roasted Makhana recipe is anxious, I’ve been utilizing our Indian spices and the all-time favourite chaat masala until now. However I’m wanting ahead to attempting a mixture of different western herbs/spices within the coming days.
In India, makhana can also be served throughout many spiritual capabilities and festivals as a ‘prashad.’ The distinction between this and different preparations is that the prashad has makhana which is tender, not like the crisp ones when roasted.
Makhana can also be an incredible choice for making ready and consuming meals throughout vrat or fasts. Opposite to its humble and uninteresting look, the style and texture that it imparts to any dish is admittedly commendable.
It’s nutritiously mild on the abdomen, but filling too. So, go forward give your fasting meals a tasty makeover with makhana.
- Ensure to retailer makhana in an hermetic container and away from any moisture. It will get spoiled if uncovered to even little moisture. You’ll be able to even refrigerate them. Wrapping the makhana in kitchen paper after which placing in a poly zip bag additionally retains makhana recent and edible for time.
- To take care of the shelf lifetime of makhana, you will need to additionally keep away from storing it in a moist place. As a substitute, retailer it in a dry place to extend the shelf life.
- Make sure that your arms are wiped fully dry whereas eradicating makhanas out of the container. The slightest of moisture can spoil them.
- Incase you might have a big amount of makhana, make certain to maintain the makhana container in direct daylight as soon as some time. This may get rid of the moisture in them and preserve them recent for an extended time.
- You can also make a candy model of this Roasted Makhana recipe or Phool Makhana recipe. Add jaggery, dried coconut shavings, raisins, and so forth. as a substitute of the spice powders and salt. You might additionally make a caramel makhana.
- You might infinite taste combos – make it tangy, spicy, tacky or herby. However bear in mind to make use of dry herbs, spices and seasonings.
- If not making for fasting, use common salt to season. You might additionally use black salt or pink salt.
- It’s also possible to use coconut oil as a substitute or ghee or common oil to roast the makhana and elevate the flavour. Including nuts like almonds, peanuts or cashews additionally carry in additional crunch and makes it a fancier model.
One of the simplest ways to relish this Roasted Makhana is to organize it and devour it inside every week. Nevertheless, if saved correctly in an hermetic container, it stays good for about 10 to fifteen days.
You need to roast the makhana for about 10 to 12 minutes on low warmth. This fashion you should have completely crisp makhanas.
Makhana needs to be evaded any moisture. So, one of the simplest ways to retailer it’s in an hermetic container and in a dry place or the fridge.
Keep away from placing the makhana within the hermetic container instantly after it’s roasted. Ensure the Roasted Makhana is cooled to room temperature first after which saved within the hermetic container to forestall it from getting soggy.
Sure, you may.
Navratri & Fasting Recipes
Navratri & Fasting Recipes
Navratri & Fasting Recipes
Navratri & Fasting Recipes
Please you’ll want to fee the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark under you probably have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Roasted Makhana Recipe
Roasted Makhana is a wholesome snack that’s made with gradual roasting/toasting phool makhana or foxnuts with spices and seasonings.
Cook dinner Time 10 minutes
Complete Time 10 minutes
Stop your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Making roasted makhana recipe
Warmth oil in a heavy wok or kadai.
Add the makhana and roast for 10 to 12 minutes on low warmth, until they turn out to be crisp. Carry on stirring in between.
Subsequent, add all of the spice powders and rock salt, besides chaat masala.
Flip off the warmth as you don’t need the spice powders to get burnt.
Stir the entire combination nicely.
Lastly, sprinkle the chaat masala powder and once more combine nicely.
Serve Roasted Makhana after they turn out to be lukewarm or cool at room temperature.
Keep in mind that as soon as they quiet down, retailer in an air-tight container.
- You might simply roast giant portions of makhana and later retailer them on your on a regular basis snacks.
- Make the recipe your individual by including your favourite seasonings and spices. Use solely dry spices and herbs.
This Roasted Makhana recipe submit from the weblog archives first printed in April 2013 has been up to date and republished on December 2022.