Shahi Tukda is a wealthy and widespread dessert from the Mughlai Delicacies. It’s fabricated from ghee fried bread slices which can be soaked in rose-cardamom scented sugar syrup and topped with aromatic, creamy sweetened, thickened milk flavored with unique saffron. It’s garnished with nuts and generally even edible silver leaf (varak). Give your friends the royal remedy with this unparalleled Indian candy of Shahi Tukra.
What’s Shahi Tukda
One chew of my conventional recipe shahi tukda will provide you with a sense of royalty. It’s no shock, both!
In Hindi and Urdu languages, the time period shahi means “royal” and tukra (additionally spelled tukda) means “a bit”. Actually translated, this tasty dessert means “royal piece.” (Tukray or tukday is the plural kind).
This indulgent candy is often known as Shahi Toast as is normally made and served on festivals and particular events.
Shahi Tukda (which is usually confused with the Indian bread pudding, Double ka meetha) has been a preferred request from my readers, so I’m excited to share this recipe with you.
I discovered to make Shahi Tukda recipe in my cooking faculty. We discovered the normal preparation for this wealthy royal Mughlai dessert; after all, these days there are many fast and simple variations of shahi tukra.
Merely put shahi tukra are toasty ghee fried bread slices coated with sugar syrup which can be topped with thickened sweetened milk a.ok.a rabri and nuts. Straightforward, proper?
Shahi Tukda Recipe Elements
Under I checklist the principle elements and components that you have to make and assemble later to make this royal dessert. In fact you may prep forward a few of the components like rabri and sugar syrup.
1. Fried Bread
The bread is normally deep fried in ghee. Since I wished to share an genuine shahi tukda recipe, I’ve remained 90% true to the normal methodology. The remaining 10% is for a step which I’ve altered for my very own profit.
As a substitute of deep frying the bread in ghee, I merely pan fried all of the bread with solely two tablespoons to chop again on energy.
Don’t fear although! This nonetheless tastes scrumptious – in the event you pan fry the bread very well till it’s golden and crunchy, you received’t miss the deep fried model one bit. You would additionally choose to shallow fry.
I made another swap to make this conventional Mughlai dessert somewhat bit more healthy – choosing entire wheat bread has extra entire grains and fiber than white or milk bread.
I like to make my very own Rabdi by decreasing the milk over a low flame, however this course of takes time. You must stir the milk fairly usually whereas its will get lowered; attempt to do it if you find yourself cooking dinner so it doesn’t really feel like a trouble.
I like my rabdi to have a thinner consistency for shahi tukda than when it’s served plain or added to kulfi. Be happy to make the rabri with condensed milk much like Basundi in the event you’re brief on time (or make a Vanilla Custard as a substitute), however nothing beats the unique.
3. Sugar Syrup
The sugar syrup is made just by cooking sugar with water till the syrup reaches a one thread consistency. If you happen to make it to a skinny runny sugar syrup, the bread will take in all of it making it soggy. A one thread consistency syrup will probably be sticky and thicker and can coat the bread.
Coating the toasted bread with caramelized sugar syrup flavored with cardamom and rose water takes this dessert to the subsequent degree. If you’re watching your sugar consumption, then skip this step. It nonetheless tastes great!
I do know this all seems like a whole lot of steps and preparation, however belief me: when you make the rabri, half the work is finished. Mughlai dishes normally demand intensive preparations, however the additional effort is nearly all the time effectively value it.
This candy might be served heat or chilled. If you happen to plan to serve shahi tukra chilled, then you can also make the rabri someday earlier than and chill within the fridge.
It is a heavy, wealthy dessert meant for significantly festive events. Whichever competition you might be celebrating, this unbelievable mixture of textures and flavors is certain to wow your friends.
Find out how to Make Shahi Tukra Recipe
To make it simpler to grasp, the step-by-step photograph information has been divided into 4 components:
Put together the Rabdi (candy, creamy thickened milk)
Take into account that making rabri takes time. To save lots of time you can also make this simple and fast Basundi Recipe that has condensed milk. However do make an observation of not including the chironji seeds (charoli) to the basundi.
You probably have time, then you may select to make the rabdi a day forward. Refrigerate it in an air-tight container.
1. In a broad thick bottomed frying pan or kadai (wok) or a heavy pan take 1 litre of full fats or entire milk and convey to the primary boil on medium-low to medium warmth.
Hold stirring at intervals in order that the milk doesn’t persist with the underside of the pan.
2. Add 3 tablespoons of milk powder ( I used Nestlé model).
The addition of milk powder reduces the cooking time of rabri, however it isn’t important. If you happen to don’t have it, merely cook dinner the milk for longer.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of masala milk powder (that is selfmade masala milk powder).
That is one other elective step. If you happen to don’t have this masala mix, you may add a pinch of crushed saffron and ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder.
4. Take away the clotted cream (malai) which varieties on high of the milk and sides of the pan and stir it again into the milk. Carry on simmering the milk on a low to medium-low warmth.
5. Don’t pull the pan off the range but – it isn’t prepared. Proceed scraping the milk solids on the sides of the pan. Additionally carry on stirring to forestall the underside or sides from changing into browned or burnt.
Tip: For making dishes like rabri, its all the time higher to make use of a thick bottomed pan or heavy kadai.
6. On a low to medium-low warmth carry on simmering and stirring, returning the clotted cream into the combination.
7. Simmer milk till it thickens and reaches to one-third of its unique quantity. That’s the fitting consistency as you see within the beneath photograph!
You would additionally select to cook dinner it to a much less thicker consistency. Because it cools, it is going to thicken extra.
It took me about 1 hour. The time could differ relying on the standard of the pan, depth of flame and high quality of milk.
8. Take away from warmth and add 2 to 2.5 tablespoons sugar or in response to style. Stir effectively in order that the sugar dissolves.
9. Subsequent add 12 to fifteen crushed saffron strands or about 1 to 2 pinches of saffron powder together with kewra (pandanus) water.
You may also add sliced almonds and pistachios right here. I didn’t add as I’ve already added selfmade masala milk powder, which is finely floor dry fruits with a couple of aromatic spices.
Be happy to substitute kewra water with edible rose water or a couple of drops of rose essence.
10. The consistency and texture of the rabdi is demonstrated beneath.
Pan fry bread cubes
1. Slice the crusts of 6 regular-sized bread. Minimize them into squares, rectangles or triangles. You would use any bread of your selection – entire wheat, white bread or brown bread.
2. Warmth 1 tablespoon of ghee in a flat pan (tava) or frying pan.
3. Add the bread slices and toast them on a low to medium warmth.
4. When one facet is browned until golden, flip and toast the opposite facet.
5. Flip a few times extra to get a fair golden shade and browning.
6. Place the bread slices on paper towels to take away extra ghee.
7. Repeat with one other tablespoon of ghee and toast the remaining batch. Hold all of the toasted bread facet.
Put together sugar syrup
1. Combine ½ cup sugar with ¼ cup water in a pan.
Time Saving Tip: You may cook dinner each the sugar syrup in addition to toast the bread slices, concurrently.
2. Hold the sugar resolution on low warmth.
3. The combination ought to come to a boil.
4. When the entire combination begins boiling like this, it means the one thread consistency is close to by. Hold a detailed watch!
5. One thread consistency is illustrated through the use of the strategy beneath.
5. Swap off when the one thread consistency is reached. Add cardamom powder or rose water and stir.
If the syrup cools and crystallizes earlier than soaking the bread, then simply add about 1 to 1.5 tablespoons water and reheat the syrup over low warmth till liquid.
Assemble & Make Shahi Tukda
1. Dip the croutons within the sugar syrup. With the assistance of a spoon or small tongs, coat the bread slices evenly. The syrup will coat the bread as you flip.
If that is troublesome for you, then simply pour the sugar syrup evenly on a neatly organized mattress of croutons.
The sugar syrup might be heat or at room temperature if you coat the bread slices or croutons with it.
2. Prepare the sugar coated bread slices neatly in a serving tray or plate.
3. Pour the rabri on the syrup soaked bread. Garnish with blanched sliced almonds and pistachios.
4. Serve the wealthy royal Shahi Tukda as a dessert when you have got one thing value celebrating. Get pleasure from!
Hold any leftovers within the fridge in a lined container for a few day solely. Shahi Tukra or Shahi Toast additionally tastes good when served chilly.
Professional Suggestions and Variations
- Bread: Be happy to make use of white bread, brown bread or entire wheat bread. It’s higher to make use of a couple of days outdated bread in order that the bread doesn’t take in an excessive amount of of ghee whereas pan-frying. It is usually sooner and simpler to toast a couple of days outdated bread with only a little bit of ghee. Please don’t use seed bread or bread crusted with oats.
- Ghee: You would additionally merely toast the bread slices with none ghee. I might not suggest utilizing another fats or oil as you’ll miss on the unique genuine style of this traditional candy. Attempt to use desi ghee or selfmade ghee or a great high quality of ghee.
- Nuts: Principally the nuts that we use are blanched almonds and pistachios. However you may use nuts which can be simply out there to you. Keep in mind to cut or slice them earlier than topping the candy. You may omit blanching of the nuts.
- Milk: To make the rabri, all the time use entire milk or full-fat milk. You should utilize pasteurized and homogenized milk additionally.
- Sugar syrup: Be sure that your sugar syrup is cooked to 1 string consistency. It shouldn’t be much less or greater than that. The bread slices will take in runny and skinny syrup making them soggy and also you don’t need that. A sugar syrup with a 1 string consistency coats the bread and the slices don’t grow to be soggy or collapse.
YES! If not serving shahi tukda instantly, then hold all elements individually within the fridge. Simply observe that the bread will grow to be a bit soggy after time within the moist air of a fridge, so chances are you’ll wish to toast them once more earlier than serving.
Some folks like so as to add ornamental silver foil (chandi ka varak) to their shahi tukra or shahi toast. If you happen to want to use it, then place it on the time of serving, no matter whether or not you propose on serving it chilled, heat or at room temperature.
I personally made the rabri, sugar syrup and toasting the bread all concurrently, as I wished to serve the shahi tukra heat. If the rabri cools down otherwise you make it forward of time, then simply heat it. This dessert can be good chilled or at room temperature, in the event you desire.
I’ve heard some folks use honey as a substitute, although this may change the flavour profile of the dessert.
Extra Celebration Sweets!
Please make sure to charge the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark beneath if in case you have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Shahi Tukda Recipe | Mughlai Shahi Tukra Candy
Shahi Tukda is a wealthy, royal Mughlai dessert of fried sugar syrup coated bread slices topped and soaked with aromatic creamy candy thickened milk or rabri and garnished with nuts and dry fruits.
Prep Time 1 hr
Prepare dinner Time 30 minutes
Complete Time 1 hr 30 minutes
Forestall your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
First warmth a cup of water until it begins to boil in a microwave or range high or electrical heater.
Add the pistachios and almonds to the recent water.
Cowl and hold apart for 30 minutes. Then peel each and slice or chop them. Put aside.
In a broad thick bottomed pan or sauce pan or a kadai take the entire milk and convey to a boil. Stir the milk a couple of instances when it’s coming to a boil, to keep away from it from getting browned or caught to the pan.
- Then add milk powder (I used nestle model) . The addition of milk powder reduces the cooking time of rabri. Milk powder is just not important and if you do not have then additionally it’s fantastic. Simply that you’ll have to simmer the milk for some extra minutes.
Add masala milk powder. Once more elective and if you do not have simply add a pinch of crushed saffron and ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder.
- Take away the clotted cream or malai which varieties on high of the milk and add it again to the milk. Additionally carry on scraping the dried milk from the edges and add them again to the milk.
Do stir and scrape usually in order that the milk doesn’t get browned or burnt from the underside in addition to the edges.
Carry on simmering, stirring, eradicating the clotted cream and scraping.
Swap off when the milk has lowered to one-third of its unique quantity and grow to be thickened.
Add sugar. Stir effectively in order that the sugar dissolves.
- Subsequent add crushed saffron and kewra water (pandanus water) or rose water. Skip this step, if in case you have added saffron earlier. You may also add sliced almonds and pistachios right here. I didn’t add as I’ve already added selfmade masala milk powder, which is finely floor dry fruits with a couple of aromatic spices.
It should take about 1 hour for the milk to thicken on a low to medium-low warmth.
Pan frying bread
Slice the crusts of the bread. Minimize them into squares, rectangles or triangles.
Warmth 1 tablespoons of ghee in a flat pan, tava or frying pan.
Place the bread slices and on a medium-low to medium warmth toast them.
When one facet is browned, flip and toast the opposite facet.
Flip a few times extra to get a fair golden shade and browning.
Drain the bread slices on paper towels.
Add 1 tablespoon ghee once more and toast the remaining batch. Hold all of the toasted bread facet.
Making sugar syrup
Combine sugar with in a pan. You may start with the sugar syrup if you begin to toast bread slices.
Hold the sugar resolution on a low warmth.
The combination would begin to come to a boil.
Prepare dinner until you get a one thread consistency within the sugar syrup.
Swap off the warmth, when one thread consistency is reached within the sugar syrup. Add cardamom powder and stir.
In case the syrup cools and crystallizes earlier than you soak the bread in it, then add about 1 to 1.5 tablespoons of water and reheat the syrup till frivolously sizzling.
Making shahi tukda
- Now dip the bread slices within the sugar syrup. With the assistance of a spoon or small tongs, coat the bread slices evenly with the sugar syrup. If that is troublesome for you, then simply pour the sugar syrup evenly on a neatly organized mattress of bread slices.
Prepare the sugar syrup soaked bread slices neatly in a serving tray or plate.
Pour the rabri on the sugar syrup coated bread slices.
Garnish with sliced blanched almonds and pistachios.
Serve the wealthy royal Shahi Tukda.
- If not serving shahi tukda immediatedly, then hold within the fridge in a lined container. If you happen to plan so as to add silver foil (chandi ka varak) then place it on the time of serving, whether or not serving shahi tukra chilled or heat or at room temperature.
- Bread: White bread, brown bread or entire wheat bread can be utilized. It’s higher to make use of a couple of days outdated bread so the bread slices don’t take in a whole lot of ghee whereas pan-frying. Additionally, it’s sooner and simpler to toast a couple of days outdated bread with only a little bit of ghee. Please don’t use seed bread or bread crusted with oats.
- Ghee: Do use selfmade ghee or desi ghee or a great model of ghee. You may select to toast the bread slices with none ghee. I might not recommend utilizing another fats or oil as these received’t provide the genuine style.
- Nuts: We all the time add blanched almonds and pistachios, however you do choose to make use of nuts which can be simply out there to you. Keep in mind to cut or slice them. Skip blanching the nuts in the event you desire.
- Milk: Use entire milk or full-fat milk to make rabri. You may also use pasteurized and homogenized milk.
- Sugar syrup: Be sure that the sugar syrup is cooked to a 1 string consistency. If you happen to cook dinner it much less and if the syrup is runny and skinny the bread will take in it and switch soggy. A sugar syrup with a 1 string is sticky and coats the bread slices.
- Rabri: Making rabri takes time. You may select to prep it a day forward and refrigerate. To save lots of time make this Basundi Recipe made with out condensed milk. Don’t add the chironji seeds in the event you make this basundi recipe for the shahi tukda.
Shahi Tukda Recipe | Mughlai Shahi Tukra Candy
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 364 Energy from Fats 117
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 6g38%
Trans Fats 1g
Polyunsaturated Fats 2g
Monounsaturated Fats 4g
Ldl cholesterol 25mg8%
Vitamin A 62IU1%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 3mg15%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin B12 1µg17%
Vitamin C 1mg1%
Vitamin D 1µg7%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Ok 3µg3%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 41µg10%
* P.c Day by day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie food plan.
This Shahi Tukda recipe publish from the archives first printed in July 2014 has been up to date and republished on March 2023.