Here’s a recipe for you which isn’t solely brimming with flavors however is straightforward to make – Tandoori Gobi, Gobi Tikka or Cauliflower Tikka. Although the preparation of this Tandoori Gobi recipe could not match the strategy of a conventional tandoor, the result’s comparable – cauliflower (or gobi/gobhi) marinated in tandoori spices and oven-grilled/oven-baked to perfection. A delicious appetizer recipe!
About Tandoori Gobi
Tandoori recipes usually are not only a favourite in Punjabi or North Indian households, however is a celebrated one at my residence too. This Tandoori Gobi recipe additionally known as Gobi Tikka or Cauliflower Tikka is a wonderful selection for a snack or starter.
I don’t have a tandoor at residence. Thus, used an oven to arrange this Tandoori Gobi. And belief me, the end result may be very near the unique, if not comparable.
As soon as the preliminary step of marinating the gobi within the spiced curd base is accomplished, you’ll be able to grill/bake it in an oven to copy a tandoori mouth really feel. A variant is that this yummy Paneer Tikka which you could strive as properly.
This Cauliflower Tikka recipe may look elaborate, however as soon as you start with the process, you’ll understand it’s an easy-peasy one.
To attain a dish totally laden with flavors distributed evenly, marinate the gobhi for a minimum of an hour or two. You possibly can refrigerate it if you wish to marinate for longer.
I additionally use cashewnut curd (yogurt) as a base for the marinade of this Tandoori Gobi, which makes it vegan too. Nevertheless, don’t fret as you’ll be able to very properly use the common thick curd (or hung curd or greek yogurt) for marinating the cauliflower. This can be a fool-proof recipe for which you’re going to thank me later!
One of the best half about this Tandoori Gobi recipe is that nobody actually involves know that it’s really made with a plant-based curd and never the standard dairy one. Such are the flavors and textures of this dish.
This Cauliflower Tikka is kind of fiery. So, if you’re making ready it for teenagers or individuals who have a low tolerance to spice ranges, reduce down on the amount of purple chili powder and garam masala powder. Each the measurements have been included within the recipe particulars under.
This spicy Tandoori Gobi a.okay.a Gobi Tikka, Gobhi Tikka or Tandoori Cauliflower is a type of vegetarian recipes that’s an prompt hit with every person.
Greatest loved as a starter in events, celebrations, particular events or only a common day. This Cauliflower Tikka additionally acts as an awesome filling for wraps and rolls, which qualify properly as ‘dabba’ (tiffin) meals.
The best way to make Tandoori Gobi
1. We have to use thick curd (yogurt) or it’s important to use Hung Curd or greek yogurt. If utilizing hung curd or greek yogurt, leap to step 5.
To make selfmade hung curd, take 3 to three.5 cups of Curd (yogurt) in a cheese material/muslin material, tie and hold it and let the whey drain out. This may occasionally take a number of hours.
For a plant based mostly yogurt, step one can be to empty the water. You should utilize a tremendous mesh strainer like I’ve finished and drain the water.
Merely switch 2.25 to 2.5 cups yogurt to the strainer saved above a bowl. Cowl with lid and put aside for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
After the yogurt has been drained of the water, measure and you will have about ½ to ¾ cup of plant based mostly cashew yogurt or hung curd or greek yogurt.
2. Chop 1 small to medium sized cauliflower into medium florets and rinse properly in water. Ensure they’re of uniform dimension in order that they cook dinner evenly.
3. In the meantime boil some water with ½ teaspoon of salt in a pan or pot. Add the florets and cook dinner for 3 to 4 minutes on medium warmth.
Change off warmth after which proceed to maintain them within the scorching water for 7 to eight minutes extra.
4. Subsequent, drain the water from the cauliflower florets and put aside.
Make Gobi Tikka Marinade
5. Roast 2 tablespoons besan (gram flour) in a frying pan. You could possibly use chickpea flour as a substitute of gram flour.
6. Roast stirring typically, until it turns into golden brown and begins giving a nutty aroma.
7. To make the marinade, take the hung curd or strained and thick plant based mostly yogurt in a bowl. Add all of the under listed dry spice powders and herbs to it.
- ½ teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain)
- ½ or 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ or 1 teaspoon purple chili powder
- ½ tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi), crushed
- black salt as required, can use common salt or pink salt
8. Combine properly and add 1 tablespoon oil together with the roasted besan.
9. Stir the roasted gram flour and oil properly in order that no lumps are shaped.
10. Add the cauliflower florets within the marinade and gently coat them with it.
11. To marinate, cowl with lid and preserve the bowl apart for 1 hour or extra within the fridge.
You can too preserve in a single day within the fridge. After 1 hour, gently combine the entire combination once more.
Make Tandoori Gobi
12. Preheat an oven to 200 levels C/395 F for quarter-hour. On a grilling rack, place the marinated gobi florets.
Hold a tray or plate (lined with aluminum foil or parchment) under for straightforward clear up later.
13. Place the tray within the preheated oven. In case you have a small oven, grill or bake in batches. You could possibly preserve the tray within the middle rack or within the second high rack above.
Grill or bake at 200 levels C/395 F within the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cauliflower florets are cooked tender and the sides begin to brown.
After 10 or quarter-hour, take away the tray and switch over the florets. That is finished for even grilling and cooking.
You can too char them just a little if you would like. However don’t overcook as they turn out to be dry. The cauliflower florets must be tender, juicy and well-cooked.
15: Serve Tandoori Gobi or Gobi Tikka scorching with some Mint Chutney, onion slices and lemon wedges. Sprinkle some chaat masala and black salt on high.
This tender, spiced and grilled Tandoori Gobi pairs excellently with breads, buns, naan or tandoori roti as properly. You can too have them plain or as a facet dish.
- For greatest outcomes, marinate the cauliflower within the curd or yogurt marinade for a minimum of 2 hours or extra. Ensure to maintain it within the fridge if marinating for longer. The extra you marinate the higher the tikka.
- The spice degree of this recipe is excessive. If you wish to reduce down on the spiciness, scale back the amount of purple chili powder and garam masala powder within the recipe.
- Chopping the cauliflower florets in a single dimension helps in even grilling or baking.
- Whereas I’ve used cashew yogurt right here, I’ve additionally made this recipe with dairy yogurt and it really works properly. In actual fact a plant based mostly yogurt like almond yogurt additionally works.
- The grilling time could alter from oven to oven. Ensure to maintain the tray within the center rack and use each the highest and backside heating components.
- Whereas turning the cauliflower florets halfway within the oven, watch out as each the tray and the cauliflower florets can be scorching. Sporting a mitten whereas dealing with the tray is advisable.
You possibly can marinate the gobhi a minimum of for two hours. For greatest outcomes, you’ll be able to marinate it in a single day in a fridge. The longer you marinate, the higher the flavours and texture.
Boiling or blanching the cauliflower florets softens them a bit and helps in eliminating any worms or bugs if any.
Sure, you’ll be able to both deep-fry or shallow-fry too. On this case, you’ll have to add extra gram flour to coat the gobi properly.
When you don’t have an oven, you’ll be able to add 1 to 2 tablespoons gram flour within the marinade after which pan-fry the marinated gobi in some oil. It’s higher to not use a microwave as you gained’t get the grilled flavors in it.
Sure. You should utilize potato, candy potato, yam, mushroom, paneer or cottage cheese, and so on. as a substitute of potato.
You possibly can add different greens, mushrooms, paneer or cottage cheese, tofu, and so on. in it and cook dinner to get scrumptious snacks or appetizers.
Please make sure you charge the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark under when you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Tandoori Gobi | Gobi Tikka | Tandoori Cauliflower
Tandoori Gobi also referred to as Gobi Tikka or Cauliflower Tikka are marinated cauliflower florets that are later grilled in an oven or tandoor. A delicious appetizer recipe.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook dinner Time 30 minutes
Marinating Time 1 hr
Whole Time 2 hrs
Stop your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
If utilizing plant based mostly yogurt like cashew yogurt, drain its water first. Place the yogurt in a tremendous meshed sieve, which is positioned on high of a bowl. Cowl and put aside for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
With utilizing a tremendous mesh sieve, this entire course of takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour. You don’t need too thick a yogurt. So 45 minutes is ok.
- When you favor, you should use Greek yogurt or hung curd straightaway. To observe the strategy of constructing your individual hung curd, examine this DIY recipe: Hung Curd.
In the meantime, rinse and chop the cauliflower/gobi right into a medium-sized florets.
Attempt to preserve them in a single dimension as its helps in uniform grilling or baking.
Boil some water with about ½ teaspoon of salt. Add the florets and simmer them for 3 to 4 minutes on medium warmth.
Flip off the warmth and let the florets be within the scorching water for 7 to eight minutes.
Drain the water and preserve the partly cooked florets apart.
Making gobi tikka marinade
In a bowl, take the strained yogurt or the hung curd or greek yogurt.
Add the entire floor spices, seasonings and herbs, listed beneath the marinade.
Combine all of the elements listed beneath the heading “For The Marinade” together with roasted gram flour, oil and salt.
Examine the seasonings and add extra salt or the spices if required. Add the cauliflower florets and blend totally.
Place within the fridge and marinate for an hour or two. You can too marinate for an extended time period.
Making tandoori gobi
- Preheat the oven to 200 levels C/395 F for quarter-hour. On a grill rack, place the cauliflower florets. Place the grill rack on a high of a baking tray lined with foil or parchment for straightforward cleanup.
You can too brush the florets with oil if required.
- Grill or bake the cauliflower florets at 200 levels C/395 F for 20 to 25 minutes or until they turn out to be tender and the sides begin to brown. Whereas grilling, after 10 or quarter-hour, take away the tray and switch over the florets.
As soon as grilled, take away from the tray and prepare on serving platter or plate.
Garnish with coriander leaves and sprinkle some chaat masala.
Serve Tandoori Gobi with mint chutney together with sliced onion and lemon wedges.
You can too sprinkle some lemon juice on the Gobi Tikka in the event you like.
Take pleasure in Tandoori Gobi or Gobi Tikka with bread, buns, roti or naan.
- Modify the spices and seasonings based on your preferences. Decide so as to add much less purple chilli powder and garam masala powder if you would like.
- Partly cooking the cauliflower helps it bake or grill completely in much less time.
- To make roasted besan, roast the gram flour in a small frying pan on low warmth, stirring typically, till its coloration modifications and it smells nutty.
- For the marination, you should use most popular plant based mostly yogurt or dairy yogurt. If utilizing dairy yogurt, use a thick yogurt, Greek yogurt or hung curd.
- This recipe could be halved or doubled simply.
Tandoori Gobi | Gobi Tikka | Tandoori Cauliflower
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 133 Energy from Fats 45
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g6%
Trans Fats 0.003g
Polyunsaturated Fats 0.4g
Monounsaturated Fats 3g
Ldl cholesterol 3mg1%
Vitamin A 228IU5%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.1mg7%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.3mg18%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 0.3mg15%
Vitamin B12 0.4µg7%
Vitamin C 71mg86%
Vitamin E 2mg13%
Vitamin Okay 24µg23%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 104µg26%
* P.c Every day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie food plan.
This Tandoori Gobi recipe from the weblog archives, first printed in Feburary 2013 has been republished and up to date on December 2022.