Ridge gourd recipe with step-by-step pictures. This Turai Recipe is a simple and homely sabji made with ridge gourd (turai), moong dal, some primary spices and coconut. Since all of the components on this recipe are plant-based, it’s also naturally a vegan dish.
About Turai ki Sabji
Not many individuals are a fan of the veggie ridge gourd (turai). So, right here’s a Ridge Gourd Recipe that’s going to be successful for positive shot. This Turai Sabzi, often known as Dodka Bhaji in Marathi is without doubt one of the best methods to show this somewhat humble veggie into one thing comforting and scrumptious.
Ridge Gourd is used extensively to make a wide range of dishes in several areas throughout India. Therefore, it has varied names to it. These are a number of the native names of the ridge gourd in India:
- Turai or torai or tori in North India
- Dodka or shirali in Maharashtra
- Turai or turya in Gujarat
- Gilki in Madhya Pradesh
- Dhudhul or jhinge in West Bengal; bhul and jika in Assam
- Peerkangai in Tamil Nadu; peere in Tulu, tuppadahirekayi in Karnataka and likewise hirekayi or heerekayi in Kannada; peechinga in Kerala.
- Beerakaya in Telangana and nethi beerakaya in Andhra Pradesh.
This easy Turai Sabji is ready in a Maharashtrian model. Thus, additionally generally often known as Dodka Bhaji or shirali chi bhaji.
The preparation may be very simple, however ends in a brilliantly scrumptious dish that’s too comforting when paired with chapatis, phulkas or a typical varan-bhaat (dal-rice) mixture.
We make this turai sabzi with both chana dal or moong dal. On this recipe submit, I’m sharing the pics with moong dal. However you may also make the recipe with chana dal.
As this Turai Sabzi is a semi-dry preparation, it may also be packed as a lunch in your tiffin containers. The easiest way to have it as tiffin meals is to pair it with tender chapatis.
Learn how to make Ridge Gourd Recipe
1. Rinse after which soak 2 tablespoons moong dal in sizzling water for half-hour. Or you may soak in water at room temperature for an hour.
2. Later rinse, peel and chop the ridge gourd (turai or dodka or shirali). Additionally peel and chop one medium sized onion, 4 to five small to medium sized garlic and 1 inexperienced chilli.
3. Warmth 1.5 tablespoons of peanut oil in a pan. Add 1 medium-sized chopped onions (approx 60 grams). You can too use sunflower oil as a substitute of peanut oil.
4. Then add 4 to five small to medium sized chopped garlic.
5. Stir and saute on a low to medium flame until the onions turn into translucent.
6. Add the chopped inexperienced chilies, a pinch of turmeric powder and a pinch of asafoetida (hing).
7. Stir and blend effectively.
8. Now add the chopped ridge gourd.
9. Stir and blend the ridge gourd with the remainder of the components.
10. Add the moong dal together with the soaked water.
11. Additionally add ⅓ cup extra water.
12. Season with salt in line with style.
13. Combine very effectively.
14. Cowl the pan with a lid and simmer on a low warmth.
15. Do test at intervals and if the water dries out, you may add extra water.
16. Simmer until the moong dal and the ridge gourd are cooked effectively.
17. As soon as the water has evaporated, then add ¼ cup recent grated coconut. Combine effectively. the turai sabzi may have some moisture however is not going to be watery.
18. Change off the warmth and add 2 tablespoons of chopped coriander leaves. Combine once more.
19. Serve turai ki sabji sizzling or heat with Indian flatbreads like chapatis or phulkas or plain paratha. It may also be served as a aspect dish with dal rice combo.
Few extra sabzi recipes for you!
Please you should definitely fee the recipe within the recipe card or depart a remark under you probably have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Turai ki Sabji | Ridge Gourd Recipe
Ridge Gourd Recipe is a simple homely recipe of ridge gourd with moong dal.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook dinner Time 20 minutes
Complete Time 50 minutes
Stop your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
preparation for ridge gourd recipe
Rinse after which soak 2 tablespoons moong dal in sizzling water for half-hour. Or you may soak in water at room temperature for an hour.
Later rinse, peel and chop the ridge gourd (turai or dodka or shirali).
Additionally peel and chop one medium sized onion, 4 to five medium garlic and 1 inexperienced chili.
making ridge gourd sabzi
Warmth 1.5 tablespoons oil in a pan.
Add the chopped onions.
Then add the chopped garlic.
Stir and saute on a low to medium flame until the onions turn into translucent.
Add the chopped inexperienced chilies, a pinch of turmeric powder and a pinch of asafoetida. Combine effectively.
Now add the chopped ridge gourd. Stir and blend the ridge gourd with the remainder of the components.
Add the moong dal together with the soaked water.
Additionally add 1/3 cup extra water.
Season with salt. Combine very effectively.
Cowl the pan with a lid and simmer on a low flame.
Do test at intervals and if the water dries out, you may add extra water.
Simmer until the moong dal and the ridge gourd are cooked effectively.
As soon as the water has evaporated, then add 1/4 cup recent grated coconut. Combine effectively. The turai sabzi may have some moisture however is not going to be watery.
Change off the flame and add 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves. Combine once more.
Serve turai sabzi sizzling or heat with some chapatis or phulkas.
Turai ki Sabji | Ridge Gourd Recipe
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 225 Energy from Fats 126
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 5g31%
Polyunsaturated Fats 3g
Monounsaturated Fats 5g
Vitamin A 57IU1%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 12mg15%
Vitamin E 2mg13%
Vitamin Okay 2µg2%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 9µg2%
* P.c Every day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie eating regimen.
This Turai ki Sabji submit from the archives first revealed in August 2016 has been republished and up to date on January 2023.