In case you are a fan of blended vegetable recipes from the Indian delicacies, this recipe submit is certain for you. And even in case you are not, then submit making an attempt this traditional Gujarati recipe, I’m certain you’d be. This can be a tremendous scrumptious Surti Undhiyu Recipe, which doesn’t take a lot time as in comparison with the standard one. This Undhiyu is a Gujarati type blended vegetable dish, which is ready majorly with the seasonal contemporary produce that the winters in India deliver alongside. You possibly can’t actually not strive it, as in case you do, you’ll miss out on one thing tasty in addition to healthful.
Undhiyu is a one-pot vegetable casserole dish that’s the hallmark of vegetarian delicacies within the Gujarati meals repertoire. Primarily, an Undhiyu Recipe takes a variety of time to get finished and wishes quantity of persistence. It’s because, historically, the array of greens is cooked or fried in batches.
Nonetheless, this specific Surti Undhiyu Recipe doesn’t take a lot time, as all of the veggies together with the Methi Muthia are steamed collectively in a stress cooker. Although, if you need, you too can cook dinner the greens in a big pot or pan. Thus, the tactic turns into straightforward and fewer time consuming.
Undhiyu is so known as as it’s derived from the Gujarati phrase ‘undhu,’ which implies ‘the other way up.’ An genuine method of cooking this whole dish is to cook dinner it in earthen pots, known as ‘matlu’ in Gujarati and ‘matka‘ in Hindi. The pots are sealed and positioned the other way up in a fireplace pit dug inside the bottom. The slow-cooking within the earthen pot provides the dish an earthy and rustic taste.
An Undhiyu Recipe is often bursting with flavors, aroma and textures due to the totally different veggies, a particular masala and the muthias (fenugreek dumplings) that go in its making. Not simply this, additionally it is a hearty and nutritious dish. Particularly, this one, the place I’ve additionally added much less oil than what is usually added.
Extra on Undhiyu Recipe
Undhiyu is a private favourite. I’ve had it many occasions whereas dwelling in Mumbai. The most effective ones was at a Gujarati operate in Mithibai School, Juhu, Mumbai. Proper from the starters to the dessert, the whole Gujarati buffet there was completely gorgeous and spot on with flavors. We took small parts of every thing and had a beautiful hearty meal.
The greens added in an Undhiyu Recipe are largely root veggies like purple yam (kand), common yam, candy potatoes and child potatoes. Others are small brinjals, uncooked or ripe bananas, ivy gourd and Indian flat beans (surti papdi). Contemporary pigeon peas (tuvar lilva) are additionally added.
Within the absence of contemporary pigeon peas, you too can add contemporary inexperienced peas or contemporary inexperienced chickpeas within the Undhiyu. One other lilva particular recipe is that this Gujarati Lilva Ni Kachori, which can be well-known throughout the winter season.
This Undhiyu Recipe is vegan. If you wish to make a gluten-free model, skip asafoetida. You may as well make a satvik or no onion, no garlic variation by skipping garlic. This recipe serves 10 to 12 servings. You possibly can simply halve the recipe.
Undhiyu is a winter delicacy, and is often from Southern Gujarat, as a number of the greens added in it are solely out there within the winter season.
There’s one other variation of the Undhiyu Recipe, which is made by the farmers of South Gujarat and is known as as ‘umbadiyu.’ The recipes and components are totally different, however the entire parts are cooked in the other way up earthen pots solely.
One other dish from the Parsi delicacies known as ‘umberiu’ has a detailed resemblance to the Gujarati Undhiyu. The Parsi type umberiu can be cooked in the same method. That’s, in an upside-down earthen pot in a fireplace pit.
Methods to make Undhiyu
1. String and pod the surti papdi beans. I used half-half of surti papdi (hyacinth beans) and valor papdi (fava beans).
After stringing and halving them, rinse very effectively. Pressure and hold apart. I used a complete of 150 grams of beans which yielded 2 cups stringed and podded beans.
2. In a bowl of water, peel, rinse and place the opposite greens – 10 to 12 child potatoes, 1 medium candy potato, 1.5 to 2 cups chopped purple yam and eight to 10 small brinjals.
Observe: Solely the higher stalk of the brinjals have been eliminated they usually haven’t been slit. You may as well simply rinse and hold the brinjals apart.
Make Methi Muthia
3. Take 1 cup tightly packed finely chopped methi leaves and 1 cup gram flour (besan) in a mixing bowl.
4. Add the next components:
- 1 pinch of baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon crimson chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ tablespoon oil
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon sugar or as required
- ½ teaspoon salt or as required
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
5. Combine every thing evenly and hold apart coated for 10 to fifteen minutes.
6. Then, add 1 to 1.5 tablespoons water and blend effectively. Maintain the combination barely sticky, in order that the muthias stay smooth after cooking.
7. Apply some oil in your palms and form the muthias. Maintain apart, coated with a bowl or lid.
If you need, you too can deep fry muthia. If fried, add lastly as soon as the undhiyu is cooked by means of. However then simmer for 4 to five minutes after including the fried methi muthia.
Make Inexperienced Masala Stuffing
8. Take ½ cup tightly packed grated contemporary coconut and three tablespoons finely chopped coriander leaves or ¼ cup finely chopped coriander leaves in a mixing bowl.
9. In a mortar-pestle, crush to a paste – 1 to 1.5 inch peeled ginger, 8 to 10 small to medium garlic cloves and a pair of to three inexperienced chilies (about 1 to 2 teaspoons, chopped).
You may as well crush or grind or mix all 3 of them collectively. If utilizing readymade paste, then add ½ tablespoon ginger paste, ½ tablespoon garlic paste and ½ tablespoon inexperienced chilli paste.
You may as well add garlic chives, as an alternative of garlic.
10. Add the beneath listed components to the coconut and coriander leaves in a bowl.
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- ½ tablespoon ginger paste
- ½ tablespoon garlic paste or finely chopped inexperienced garlic chives
- ½ tablespoon inexperienced chili paste
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon crimson chili powder
- 3 teaspoons coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon salt or as wanted
11. Combine very effectively after which examine the style of the inexperienced masala. Add extra lemon juice, salt or sugar, if required.
I’ve saved all of the flavors balanced within the dish. However if you need, you’ll be able to have a extra spicy, candy or tangy style in Undhiyu.
12. On the bottom, give a crisscross slit to the brinjals and stuff the ready inexperienced masala in them.
In the identical method, stuff the masala within the potatoes. If you need, you’ll be able to stuff the masala within the uncooked bananas too.
Maintain the stuffed greens apart. Some inexperienced masala combination can be left. Maintain this apart.
13. Warmth 4 to five tablespoons sesame oil or peanut oil in a 3 litre stress cooker. Add ½ teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain) and ½ teaspoon cumin seeds.
Stir and fry the spices for just a few seconds or until they modify their coloration. You may as well use sunflower oil or safflower oil.
14. Then, add ⅛ teaspoon asafoetida (hing) and stir.
15. Now, add the stringed and podded beans. In case you are utilizing contemporary pigeon peas, you’ll be able to add them at this step.
16. Stir effectively. To protect the inexperienced coloration of the beans, you’ll be able to add a pinch of baking soda. I didn’t add.
17. Now, add half a portion of the leftover inexperienced masala stuffing combination.
18. Stir and really effectively. Sauté on low to medium warmth for 3 minutes. Then, decrease the warmth and make a neat layer of the beans on the backside.
19. Then, place the chopped purple yam in a neat layer.
20. Then, make one other layer of chopped uncooked unripe bananas and candy potato.
21. Now, sprinkle ¼ of the inexperienced masala combination evenly. Don’t stir.
22. Make the subsequent layer of stuffed brinjals and potatoes.
Prepare dinner Undhiyu
23. Add ½ cup water from the edges. Don’t stir.
24. Now, gently place the ready methi muthia in a layer. Sprinkle 2 to three pinches of salt throughout.
25. Cowl the stress cooker with its lid and stress cook dinner on medium to excessive warmth for two whistles or 8 to 10 minutes.
Do use a 3 litre stress cooker to make this recipe. If in case you have used a 4 or 5 litre stress cooker then alter the water and cooking time as wanted.
26. When the stress settles down naturally, take away the lid and gently combine every thing, with out breaking the stuffed greens and muthias.
27. Serve scorching Undhiyu with poori or roti. Whereas serving, if you need, you’ll be able to garnish with chopped coriander leaves or some grated coconut.
- Purple Yam: Rather than purple yam, use elephant foot yam or common yam.
- Small Eggplants: Rather than child eggplants or small brinjals, use medium sized brinjals. Don’t use large-sized eggplants.
- Pigeon Peas: Rather than contemporary pigeon peas (lilva), use contemporary inexperienced chickpeas, edamame or inexperienced peas. You may as well omit including any of the contemporary peas.
- Beans: Rather than surti papdi (hyacinth beans), use fava beans, edamame beans or contemporary lima beans.
- Child Potatoes: Rather than child potatoes, use medium or large-sized potatoes. Peel and chop them. However don’t stuff them with the inexperienced stuffing masala.
- Garlic: Rather than garlic, use garlic chives. Finely chop the chives and add them to the inexperienced stuffing masala combination.
- Holding the methi muthia combination barely sticky will lead to softer muthias, after cooking.
- Whereas shaping the methi muthias, grease your palms with some oil. You may as well deep-fry the muthias in case you choose.
- In case you are utilizing readymade paste, then add ½ tablespoon every of ginger paste, garlic paste and inexperienced chili paste.
- The lemon juice, salt and sugar within the inexperienced masala combination might be adjusted in line with your preferences.
- Along with stuffing the brinjals and potatoes with the inexperienced masala combination, you too can stuff the uncooked banana with it.
- You need to use sesame oil, peanut oil, sunflower oil or safflower oil to cook dinner this dish.
- To protect the inexperienced coloration of the beans, you’ll be able to add a pinch of cooking soda.
Please remember to fee the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark beneath you probably have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Undhiyu Recipe | Surti Undhiyu
Undhiyu is a one pot vegetable casserole dish that’s the hallmark of Gujarati vegetarian delicacies. That is a straightforward Surti Undhiyu recipe that doesn’t take a lot time.
Prep Time 1 hr
Prepare dinner Time 15 minutes
Whole Time 1 hr 15 minutes
Forestall your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Getting ready veggies
String and pod the surti papdi beans. I used half-half of surti papdi (hyacinth beans) and valor papdi (fava beans).
After stringing them and halving them, rinse very effectively. Drain all of the water and put aside.
In a bowl of water, peel, rinse and place the opposite veggies – 10 to 12 child potatoes, 1 medium candy potato, 2 cups chopped purple yam. Additionally hold 8 to 10 small brinjals.
Observe that the one the higher stalk of the brinjals have been eliminated they usually haven’t been slit. You may as well simply rinse and hold the brinjals apart.
Getting ready methi muthia
Take 1 cup tightly packed methi leaves, finely chopped and 1 cup besan or gram flour in a mixing bowl.
Add a pinch of baking soda, ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon crimson chili powder, ½ teaspoon cumin powder, ½ teaspoon coriander powder and ½ tablespoon oil.
Subsequent add ¾ to 1 teaspoon sugar or add as required, ½ teaspoon salt or add as required and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
Merely combine every thing and hold apart coated for 10 to fifteen minutes.
Then add 1 to 1.5 tablespoons of water and blend very well. Maintain the combination barely sticky, in order that the methi muthia stays smooth after cooking.
- Apply some oil in your palms and form the muthias. Maintain apart coated with a bowl or lid. If you need you too can deep fry methi muthia. If fried then add lastly as soon as the undhiyu is completed and simmer for 4 to five minutes.
Making inexperienced masala stuffing combination
Take the contemporary grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves in one other mixing bowl.
- In a mortar-pestle crush to a paste, 1 to 1.5 inch ginger, 8 to 10 garlic cloves and a pair of to three inexperienced chilies. You may as well crush or grind all three of them collectively. If utilizing prepared paste then add ½ tablespoon ginger paste, ½ tablespoon garlic paste, ½ tablespoon inexperienced chili paste. You may as well use finely chopped garlic chives as an alternative of garlic.
Add 2 tablespoons of white sesame seeds, ½ tablespoon ginger paste, ½ tablespoon garlic paste or chopped inexperienced garlic chives, ½ tablespoon inexperienced chili paste.
Additionally add ¼ to ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon crimson chili powder, 3 teaspoon coriander powder, 2 teaspoon cumin powder, 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
Season with 1 tablespoon sugar and ¾ to 1 teaspoon salt. Be at liberty to regulate these seasonings in line with your preferences.
Combine very effectively after which examine the style. Add extra lemon juice, salt or sugar if required.
From the bottom, give a criss cross slit to the small brinjals and stuff the masala in it.
In the identical method additionally, stuff the masala within the child potatoes. If you need you’ll be able to stuff the masala within the uncooked bananas additionally.
Maintain the stuffed veggies apart. Some stuffing masala can be left. Maintain this apart.
Tempering and cooking undhiyu
Warmth 4 to five teaspoons sesame oil or peanut oil in a 3 litre stress cooker.
- Add ½ teaspoon carom seeds and ½ teaspoon cumin seeds. Stir and fry on low warmth till the carom seeds and cumin seeds crackle.You may as well use sunflower oil or safflower oil.
Then add ⅛ teaspoon asafoetida/hing. Stir and blend on low warmth.
Now add the stringed and podded beans. In case you are utilizing contemporary pigeon peas, you’ll be able to add them at this step.
Combine and stir effectively. To protect the inexperienced coloration of the beans you’ll be able to add a pinch of soda in case you choose.
Now add half a portion of the leftover inexperienced stuffing masala.
Once more combine very effectively and sauté for 3 minutes on a low to medium warmth. Then make a neat layer of the beans on the backside.
Then place the chopped purple yam in a neat layer.
Then make one other layer of chopped uncooked bananas and candy potato.
Now sprinkle ¼ of the coconut masala evenly. Do not stir.
Make a subsequent layer of stuffed brinjals and potatoes.
Add ½ cup water from the edges. Do not stir or combine.
Now gently place the ready methi muthia in a layer. Sprinkle 2 to three pinches of salt throughout.
Cowl the stress cooker with its lid and stress cook dinner on a medium to excessive flame for two whistles or for 8 to 10 minutes.
When the stress settles down by itself, take away the lid and gently combine every thing with out breaking the stuffed veggies.
Whereas serving if you need, you’ll be able to garnish Surti Undhiyu with chopped coriander leaves or some grated coconut. Serve Undhiyu with poori or roti.
- Purple yam – elephant foot yam or common yam.
- Small brinjals – medium sized aubergines.
- Contemporary pigeon peas – contemporary inexperienced chickpeas, edamame beans, inexperienced peas.
- Surti papdi – fava beans, edamame beans, contemporary lima beans.
- Child potatoes – medium or giant potatoes
- Please use 3 litre stress cooker as talked about within the recipe. In the event you use a 4 or 5 litre cooker, you have to to regulate the quantity of water and the cooking time.
- Undhiyu may also be made in a pot. So add water as wanted to cook dinner the veggies.
- You possibly can omit including garlic in case you choose.
- Be at liberty to regulate the seasonings and spices as you want.
Undhiyu Recipe | Surti Undhiyu
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 233 Energy from Fats 90
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 2g13%
Polyunsaturated Fats 3g
Monounsaturated Fats 3g
Vitamin A 1512IU30%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.2mg13%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.1mg6%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 0.2mg10%
Vitamin C 10mg12%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Okay 5µg5%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 93µg23%
* % Each day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight loss program.
This Undhiyu Recipe from the weblog archives, first revealed in April 2015 has been republished and up to date on December 2022.