I like utilizing uncooked banana for veggie preparations, particularly, within the dry varieties. This inexperienced unripe Plantain Fry is one in all them. Also referred to as the Vazhakkai Varuval or Vazhakkai Fry (Tamil) in South Indian delicacies, this can be a spicy and barely crisp uncooked banana roast recipe which is an excellent accompaniment to a meal of Rasam or Sambar and rice or paired with some Dal and raita. This scrumptious recipe can be actually easy and wholesome, together with being vegan in addition to gluten-free too.
About Vazhakkai Fry
Put in easy phrases, the English which means of the Tamil phrase ‘vazhakkai’ is uncooked unripe banana or plantain and ‘varuval’ means ‘fried’ that may be deep fried, shallow fried and even stir fried.
South Indian delicacies has many such straightforward recipes made with quite a lot of veggies that aren’t simply tremendous flavorful but additionally are nutritious.
These work as improbable facet dishes to make a daily meal healthful. One such preparation is the Vazhakkai Fry, regionally often known as Vazhakkai Varuval.
Why this recipe is all of the easier, is as a result of other than uncooked unripe banana, the opposite substances that go within the making of it are additionally very primary and obtainable in most of Indian residence kitchens, all yr spherical.
Additionally, since each ingredient is plant based mostly, the recipe is vegan-friendly too. Additionally it is a yummy gluten-free dish.
Along with prepping up the uncooked plantains, one other factor of this varuval recipe is the coarse powder made with cumin seeds and black pepper.
Together with this, different substances used on this recipe are mustard seeds, pearl onions, inexperienced chili, curry leaves and floor spices like turmeric powder, pink chili powder, garam masala powder and coriander powder.
I’d additionally recommend cooking the Vazhakkai Fry in coconut oil for an genuine style and mouth-feel. I usually make plantain stir fries in numerous methods – from a easy stir fry with minimal spices or with some contemporary coconut to a spicy model. This explicit recipe is likely one of the favorites.
Making this recipe doesn’t take a lot time. The banana cubes are added uncooked after which slowly fried over a low warmth, with frequent stirrings. In consequence, the banana will get barely crisp with the spices coating it properly and finally leading to a delish creation.
In my weekly groceries, unripe banana is a should and each week I make one or two dishes with it. Other than this Vazhakkai Fry, another most well-liked uncooked plantain dishes that I make at residence are this delish and easy Raw Banana Fry and a Tamil fashion Vazhakkai Poriyal.
I’ve added pearl onions (small sambar onions or small shallots) on this Tamil fashion Vazhakkai Fry recipe. You possibly can substitute it with the common pink onions. Onions can be skipped, if you need.
As I discussed at first, the easiest way to relish the flavors of this uncooked banana roast is to have it alongside any South Indian meal.
Find out how to make Vazhakkai Varuval
1. Take ½ teaspoon cumin seeds and ½ teaspoon black pepper in a mortar-pestle. Crush coarsely and preserve apart.
2. Peel, rinse and chop 4 to five pearl onions in thick slices. Chop 2 medium bananas in small cubes, simply earlier than you begin cooking.
When you chop them earlier, then they darken. Thus, that you must soak them in water to keep away from darkening.
Make Vazhakkai Fry
3. Warmth 2 tablespoons coconut oil. As an alternative of coconut oil, you should use peanut oil or sunflower oil additionally.
4. Preserve warmth to low or medium-low, and add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds.
5. Allow them to splutter.
6. Then, add ¼ cup thickly sliced pearl onions (shallots or small onions), 1 chopped or slit inexperienced chili and 6 to 7 curry leaves.
You possibly can add ¼ cup chopped onions, as a substitute of pearl onions.
7. Sauté on low warmth for about 2 minutes.
8. Then, add chopped uncooked banana cubes.
9. Combine properly.
10. On low warmth, start to sauté the uncooked plantains (vazhakkai).
11. Preserve a verify and stir after each 2 to three minutes.
12. Sauté plantains until they’re half executed or half cooked.
13. Then, add the ready spice powder combine.
14. Subsequent, add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon Kashmiri pink chili powder, ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder, ½ teaspoon coriander powder, ½ teaspoon fennel powder and salt as per style.
15. Combine the spice powders very properly.
16. On low warmth, proceed to sauté until the uncooked banana (vazhakkai) is cooked.
17. Stir frequently at intervals in order that the uncooked banana is cooked evenly or else the underside layer will get too browned. Sauté until the uncooked banana (vazhakkai) is barely crisp and cooked properly.
18. Serve Vazhakkai Fry sizzling or heat as a facet dish with any South Indian meal. You possibly can even garnish Vazhakkai Varuval with some chopped coriander leaves, should you desire.
- Ensure to cut the bananas, simply earlier than you begin cooking. When you chop them earlier and preserve, they are going to darken. Then, you’ll have to soak them additionally, to keep away from the darkening.
- For greatest outcomes, cook dinner the dish in coconut oil. If not, then you may also use peanut oil or sunflower oil.
- Rather than pearl onions or shallots, you may also use ¼ cup chopped pink onions. You possibly can skip utilizing onions too.
- To make this banana roast spicier, you possibly can even improve the amount of inexperienced chillies and/or pink chili powder and garam masala powder.
Extra Related Recipes To Attempt!
South Indian Meals
Please you should definitely fee the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark under when you have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Vazhakkai Fry | Vazhakkai Varuval
Vazhakkai Varuval or Vazhakkai Fry is a spicy and barely crisp stir fried dish made with uncooked unripe inexperienced skinned plantains. This South Indian plantain preparation pairs properly as a facet dish with rasam, sambar, and dal.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook dinner Time 20 minutes
Whole Time 25 minutes
Stop your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Take cumin seeds and black pepper in a mortar-pestle. Crush coarsely and preserve apart.
Peel, rinse and chop the pearl onions in thick slices.
Peel and chop the plantains in small cubes simply earlier than you begin cooking. When you chop them earlier then they darken. Thus that you must soak them in water to keep away from darkening.
Making vazhakkai varuval
Warmth 2 tablespoons coconut oil. As an alternative of coconut oil you should use peanut oil or sunflower oil additionally.
Preserve warmth to a low or medium-low and add mustard seeds. Allow them to splutter.
Then add the thickly sliced pearl onions, chopped or slit inexperienced chili and curry leaves.
Sauté for about 2 minutes on a low warmth. Subsequent add the chopped plantain cubes and combine properly.
On a low warmth start to sauté plantain.
Do preserve a verify and stir after each 2 to three minutes.
Sauté plantain until they’re half executed or half cooked on a low warmth.
Then add crushed cumin seeds and black pepper.
Subsequent add turmeric powder, kashmiri pink chili powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder and fennel powder. Additionally add salt as per style.
Combine the spice powders very properly with the plantains.
Proceed to sauté until plantains are cooked and tender.
Stir frequently at intervals in order that the plantains are cooked evenly or else the underside layer will get too browned. So frequent stirrings are required.
Sauté until plantains are barely crisp and cooked tender.
Serve Vazhakkai Fry sizzling or heat as a facet dish with any South Indian meal. You possibly can even garnish Vazhakkai Varuval with some chopped coriander leaves should you like.
- As an alternative of coconut oil, use sunflower or peanut oil or any of your most well-liked oil.
- Select plantains which are unripe and never semi-ripe.
- Peel the plantains first after which chop them simply earlier than you start making the recipe. Or else you will have to soak them in water in order that they don’t discolor.
- It is a spicy Vazhakkai Fry. However you possibly can regulate the spices and seasonings in accordance with your style.
Vazhakkai Fry | Vazhakkai Varuval
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 266 Energy from Fats 90
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 8g50%
Vitamin A 1470IU29%
Vitamin C 69mg84%
* % Every day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie food regimen.
This Vazhakkai Fry recipe from the weblog archives, first printed in February 2018 has been republished and up to date on February 2023.