Veg Kolhapuri recipe with step-by-step images – this spicy and engaging combined vegetable based mostly dish has its origin in Kolhapur, a historic metropolis in south Maharashtra. Kolhapuri delicacies is thought for its sizzling, spicy and pungent flavors. Nonetheless, not all of the meals from the Kolhapuri delicacies is spicy & strong.
I’ve been to Kolhapur many instances and have gotten the chance to savor the genuine vegetarian Kolhapuri delicacies. From the spicy vada pav on the roadside to chili pitla (spicy gram flour based mostly dish) and the well-known & fiery Kolhapuri misal (sprouted moth beans curry). We’ve got additionally had Kolhapuri dal and it was a spicy dal. On events we even had Kolhapuri thalis there.
Final time, on a go to there, I received the Kolhapuri kanda lasun masala (onion-garlic masala). This spice mix is so good that it merely perks up the flavour of the recipe through which it’s added. I’ve added it many instances to greens and dal (lentils) dishes.
In Kolhapur, I by no means got here throughout vegetable Kolhapuri. no less than within the eating places and lodges we stayed and went, there was by no means a point out of this specific dish. Although, I’ve seen veg Kolhapuri talked about within the menu of North Indian eating places.
This recipe of veg Kolhapuri is impressed from one of many sizzling dishes from the Kolhapuri delicacies – Tambda rassa. Tambda means ‘pink’ and rassa means ‘skinny curry or gravy’.
Tambda rassa is definitely a non vegetarian dish which make use of the daring and fiery Kolhapuri masala. One of many substances of the genuine Kolhapuri masala is pink chili powder comprised of lavangi chilies. these chilies are small, however highly regarded.
For this veg Kolhapuri recipe, I’ve toned down the fieriness by not utilizing lavangi mirchi. As an alternative I’ve added byadagi chilies, which give a deep shade and are low in warmth. You can even add Kashmiri pink chilies. So relying on the kind of pink chili added, you possibly can enhance or lower the weather of warmth and pungency on this dish.
The Kolhapuri masala is freshly made for the curry. So that you don’t have to have ready-made retailer purchased Kolhapuri masala. Although, when you have it, I’ve talked about the quantity within the notes part of recipe particulars, in the direction of the tip of the submit. For the Kolhapuri masala, I referred to among the cookbooks, which I received from kolhapur.
Add any veggies of your selection. Vegetable Kolhapuri is greatest served with chapatis, bajra bhakri or jowar bhakri, phulkas and even parathas. We even had it with bread.
The recipe is spicy and has some warmth which most Indians can tolerate. But when you don’t desire spicy meals, then reduce down on the dry pink chilies, garlic and ginger. You can even test this Paneer Kolhapuri which is tailored from this recipe and likewise not made very spicy.
On a aspect observe, Everytime you go to Kolhapur, do make a degree to go to probably the most revered Mahalakshmi temple, which is likely one of the Shaktipeethas in Maharashtra. You can even go to Siddhagiri or Kaneri math, Kopeshwar (Lord Shiva temple), Narsobawadi (Lord Dattatreya temple on the confluence of rivers Krishna and Panchganga), Jyotiba temple and the Rankala lake. We visited all of the locations besides the Kopeshwar temple.
Please observe that among the pics are taken in tungsten lighting within the kitchen. Therefore you will notice a yellow hue on some pics.
make Veg Kolhapuri
1. Firstly, rinse, peel and reduce the greens into thick strips or batons. Place them in a steamer pan. I’ve used the next greens:
- 1 medium measurement potato
- 8 to 10 French beans
- ⅓ cup cup chopped cauliflower florets
- 1 medium carrot or 2 small carrots
- ⅓ cup inexperienced peas
- 1 medium yellow/pink bell pepper or inexperienced capsicum
2. Then steam the veggies in an electrical cooker, steamer or stress cooker.
3. The veggies should be fully cooked and but retain their form.
4. When the veggies are steaming, collect all of the substances required for making Kolhapuri masala. Listed beneath all of the substances for pictorial objective solely.
Please observe in the event you don’t have stone flower (patthar phool) and cobra’s saffron (nagkesar) then its fantastic. You can even skip poppy seeds (khus khus) as its not obtainable in some nations.
Making Kolhapuri masala
5. Warmth a pan and dry roast the spices first – cinnamon, cloves, black peppers, coriander, cumin, stone flower, tej patta, nagkesar (cobra’s saffron), pink chilies, nutmeg powder, inexperienced cardamoms and black cardamom seeds.
6. As soon as the spices turn into aromatic, then add poppy seeds, sesame seeds and desiccated coconut.
7. Stir repeatedly and dry roast until the coconut will get golden.
8. As soon as the spices combination cools, then take them in a dry grinder or espresso grinder.
9. Grind to a fantastic powder. A slight semi fantastic powder can also be fantastic. The sesame seeds and coconut will launch oil whereas grinding. So you must scrape the edges of the masala and grind. If tough to grind, then add some water and make a fantastic paste.
Making veg Kolhapuri
10. Warmth oil in a pan and add chopped onions.
11. Saute the onions stirring typically until they’re gentle golden or golden.
12. Add ginger and garlic paste.
13. Stir after which add chopped coriander leaves. Stir and saute until the uncooked aroma of the ginger garlic goes away.
14. Subsequent add chopped tomatoes. Saute until the tomatoes soften and also you see oil leaving the edges.
15. Then add turmeric powder, pink chili powder and asafoetida (hing).
16. Stir after which add chopped bell pepper/caspiscum. You can even skip capsicum in the event you desire.
17. Stir and saute until the capsicum is about cooked and but having a slight crunch.
18. Add the bottom Kolhapuri masala.
19. Stir after which add water. Season with salt in line with style.
20. Deliver the curry to a simmer.
21. Whenever you see some oil floating on high, add the steamed veggies.
22. Stir and simmer for 2 minutes. The consistency of the curry is barely skinny. Verify the style and add extra salt if required. If there may be much less salt, the flavour and style of the spices don’t come by means of.
23. Lastly add chopped coriander leaves and provides a ultimate stir. You can even garnish with the chopped coriander leaves.
24. Serve veg Kolhapuri sizzling with smooth phulkas or parathas or bhakris. You can even serve this spicy curry with bread and steamed rice or jeera rice.
Extra Veg curry recipes
Please make sure you price the recipe within the recipe card or depart a remark beneath when you have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Vegetable Kolhapuri is a spicy and engaging combined vegetable curry from Kolhapuri delicacies.
Prep Time 45 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 35 minutes
Whole Time 1 hr 20 minutes
different substances for veg kolhapuri
Forestall your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
First, rinse, peel and reduce the greens into thick strips or batons. Place them in a steamer pan.
Then steam the greens in an electrical cooker, steamer or stress cooker.
The greens should be fully cooked and but retain their form.
Whereas the greens are steaming, collect all of the substances required for making Kolhapuri masala.
making kolhapuri masala
Warmth a pan on low warmth and dry roast the spices – cinnamon, cloves, black pepper, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, stone flower, mace strands, pinch of nutmeg powder, bay leaf, cobra saffron, pink chilies, inexperienced cardamoms and black cardamom seeds. Skip stone flower, cobra saffron and poppy seeds, if you do not have these.
As soon as the spices turn into aromatic, then add poppy seeds, sesame seeds and desiccated coconut.
Stir repeatedly and dry roast until the desiccated coconut turns golden.
As soon as the spice combination cools, then take them in a dry grinder or espresso grinder.
Grind to a fantastic powder. A slight semi fantastic powder can also be fantastic. The sesame seeds and coconut will launch oil whereas grinding. Ensure to maintain scraping the edges of the grinder jar and grind additional. If you’re discovering it tough to grind, add some water to make a fantastic paste.
making veg kolhapuri
Warmth oil in a pan and add chopped onions.
Sauté the onions until they flip gentle golden or golden.
Add ginger-garlic paste.
Stir after which add chopped coriander leaves. Stir and sauté until the uncooked aroma of the ginger-garlic goes away.
Subsequent, add chopped tomatoes.
Sauté until the tomatoes soften and also you see oil leaving the edges of the pan.
Add turmeric powder, pink chili powder and asafoetida.
Stir after which add chopped bell pepper/capsicum. You can even skip capsicum in the event you desire.
Stir and sauté until the bell pepper is half cooked and but have a slight crunch. About 5 to six minutes on a low warmth.
Add the bottom Kolhapuri masala.
Stir and sauté for some seconds.
Then add water. Season with salt as per style.
Deliver the curry to a simmer.
Whenever you see some oil floating on high, add the steamed greens.
Stir and simmer the gravy for about 2 minutes.
Lastly, add chopped coriander leaves and provides a ultimate stir. You can even garnish with the coriander leaves.
Serve Veg Kolhapuri sizzling with smooth chapatis, phulkas or parathas. You can even serve this spicy curry with bread and steamed rice.
- If in case you have readymade Kolhapuri kanda-lasun masala or the Kolhapuri masala, then add about 2 to 2½ tablespoons of it.
- The weather of warmth and pungency on this Veg Kolhapuri will be elevated or decreased relying on the kind of pink chili added.
- Any greens of your selection will be added on this dish. The greens must be cooked fully, but retain their form.
- In case you don’t have stone flower, cobra saffron or poppy seeds, you possibly can skip utilizing them.
This Veg Kolhapuri submit from the weblog archives first printed in November 2014 has been up to date and republished on December 2022.