AFP Sport seems at 5 high moments within the Tremendous 12 stage in Australia.
1. India’s Virat Kohli got here into the match on the again of his maiden T20 century in September and enthralled over 90,000 delirious followers on the MCG with a match-winning 82 in opposition to arch-rivals Pakistan.
His two sixes off Haris Rauf on the finish of the nineteenth over went down in folklore as his facet chased down their victory goal of 160 on the ultimate ball of a match that launched India’s marketing campaign.
“King Kohli” went on hammer three extra half-centuries as he beat former Sri Lanka captain Mahela Jayawardene‘s whole of 1,016 runs to change into the match’s highest-ever run-scorer.
2. Eire got here into the Tremendous 12 stage with a giant-killing repute after they knocked out two-time champions West Indies in spherical one.
However Andrew Balbirnie’s crew weren’t completed there as they upset pre-tournament favourites England in a rain-hit match.
Balbirnie led from the entrance with a brisk 62 in Melbourne handy England a 158-run goal and the Three Lions have been 105-5 when rain stopped play, 5 runs behind the DLS goal.
“It is wonderful, form of emotional,” stated man-of-the-match Balbirnie after one other well-known win.
3. In a match of shocks, Zimbabwe received in on the act by defeating Pakistan in a last-ball thriller in Perth.
The Craig Ervine-led facet defended a modest 130 with Pakistan-born spinner Sikandar Raza and quick bowler Brad Evans sharing 5 wickets between them to maintain Pakistan’s much-vaunted batsmen right down to 129-8.
Shaheen Shah Afridi fell to his knees after being run out on the ultimate ball as Zimbabwe celebrated one of the crucial unforgettable moments of this match.
4. Australia’s title defence received off to a nightmare begin that they by no means actually recovered from.
The hosts, holders and pre-tournament favourites — together with England — suffered a scarcely plausible 89-run thrashing by the hands of New Zealand within the first recreation of the Tremendous 12.
And it got here again to hang-out Aaron Finch’s males as they fell in need of the semi-finals on web run charge, ending degree on seven factors with New Zealand and England.
5. It was a sunny Adelaide morning when South Africa’s gamers began warming up for his or her must-win match in opposition to the Netherlands, however that was about the one vibrant spot on a darkish day for them.
First, Colin Ackermann powered the underdog Dutch to a difficult 158-4 together with his quickfire unbeaten 41 after which the Netherlands bowlers labored their magic for the minnows.
A robust-looking Proteas batting line-up crumbled beneath the stress of the asking run charge and their World Cup was over in a flash.
Arguably the most important shock of all within the Tremendous 12 got here on the ultimate day.