Vrat ke chawal ka pulao with step-by-step pictures – This sama rice pulao is made throughout Navratri fasting or Ekadashi fasting. It’s made with samvat rice (barnyard millet), nuts, herbs and spices. Vegan and Gluten-free. Serve it with a facet of yogurt or vrat ki kadhi or vrat wale aloo for a comforting and satisfying fasting meal.
Sama or samvat can also be generally referred to as as vrat ke chawal. Since throughout fasting we abstain from cereal grains and to make any rice based mostly dishes we use samvat or sama grains as a substitute of rice.
These usually are not a form of rice selection and even related to rice. Principally they’re from the millet household. The English title for Sama ke chawal is Barnyard millet. the opposite Indian names for barnyard millet is vari, varai, sanwa, samwa and swang. They’re small tiny millet creamish grains as proven within the pic under.
Sama rice are good well being choice throughout fasting days and in addition make a very good gluten free grain. You may have them plain or with Vrat ki kadhi.
Barnyard millet can also be thought-about as a wholesome alternative as it’s wealthy in fibre and proteins. It additionally has much less energy and thus, is right for folks with diabetes.
This millet is continuously used throughout non secular fasting days in India. Typically I make a easy plain rice, khichdi and this pulao from Sama ke chawal. However you may also make Sama ke rice ki idli, Sama rice khichdi and Sama rice kheer.
In India, Fasting rules varies from group to group. Its at all times higher to test with your loved ones members earlier than deciding the menu.
Whereas making this samvat pulao, I’ve added complete garam masala and curry leaves. However some households, don’t use garam masala and curry leaves throughout fasting or upvas. So you possibly can skip including complete garam masala and curry leaves. If doubtful then please ask elders in your loved ones in regards to the fasting do’s and dont’s.
If you’re in search of extra Fasting recipes then do test:
Find out how to make vrat ke chawal ka pulao
1. Rinse 1 cup of sama ke chawal (barnyard millet or samvat rice) a few instances in water like the best way we rinse rice.
2. Soak in sufficient water for 20 to Half-hour.
3. Dry roast 2 tablespoons of peanuts on a pan or within the oven until they develop into crunchy.
4. Coarsely powder them in a mortar-pestle or in a dry grinder.
5. Measure all of the elements and maintain them prepared for making sama ke chawal ka pulao.
Making vrat ka pulao
6. Warmth 2 tablespoons of oil or ghee in a pan. I’ve used ghee.
7. Add all the entire spices – 1 teaspoon cumin (jeera), ½ inch cinnamon (dalchini), 2 to three cloves (lavang), 2 inexperienced cardamoms (choti elaichi) and three to 4 complete black pepper (sabut kalimirch).
8. Saute until the oil develop into aromatic and the cumin crackles.
9. Then add the crushed ginger-green chili paste constituted of ½ inch ginger and 1 inexperienced chili. You may crush them in a mortar pestle.
10. Saute for half a minute on a low warmth.
11. Add 2 medium sized, cubed potatoes.
12. Additionally add 8 to 10 curry leaves and 1 tablespoon of chopped coriander leaves.
13. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes on a low warmth.
14. Now add the peanuts powder.
15. Stir and blend properly.
16. Drain the water from the samvat rice and add the samvat rice to the sauteed combination.
17. Stir and blend properly.
18. Add water as required.
19. Subsequent add rock salt as required.
20. Stress prepare dinner for 4 to five whistles or until the water is absorbed and the millet grains are cooked.
21. When the pulao is cooking, you possibly can dry roast 8 to 10 cashews and eight to 10 chopped almonds.
22. When serving the samvat rice pulao, garnish with the dry fruits and coriander leaves. You may also sprinkle some lemon juice within the pulao or you possibly can maintain some lemon wedges by the facet of the samvat pulao.
24. You may have vrat ke chawal ka pulao plain or with vrat ki kadhi or plain curd or with fasting recipes like Vrat ke aloo or Aloo tamatar sabzi or Vrat ke dahi aloo or dahi arbi or Vrat ke aloo palak.
Please remember to charge the recipe within the recipe card or depart a remark under when you’ve got made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
vrat ke chawal ka pulao
Vrat ke chawal ka pulao or samvat pulao is an easy and straightforward pulao made for fasting days.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook dinner Time 15 minutes
Complete Time 45 minutes
Stop your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Rinse the sama or barnyard millet a few instances in water like the best way we rinse rice.
Soak in sufficient water for 20-Half-hour.
Dry roast the peanuts on a pan or within the oven until they develop into crunchy.
Coarsely powder them in a mortar-pestle or in a dry grinder.
Warmth oil or ghee.
Add all the entire spices – cumin, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and black pepper.
Saute until the oil develop into aromatic and the cumin crackles.
Add the crushed ginger-green chili and saute for half a minute on a low flame.
Add the cubed potatoes & curry leaves, chopped coriander leaves and saute for 3-4 minutes on a low flame.
Now add the peanuts powder and stir.
Drain the sama rice and add to the sauted combination. stir.
Add water and salt as required. Stress prepare dinner for 4-5 whistles or until the water is absorbed and the millet grains are cooked.
When the pulao is cooking, you possibly can dry roast the chopped cashews and almonds.
When serving the samvat pulao, garnish with the dry fruits and coriander leaves.
When serving additionally sprinkle some lemon juice within the pulao. You may also maintain some lemon wedges by the facet of the samvat pulao whereas serving.
This Samvat Pulao Submit from the archives first revealed in August 2013 has been up to date and republished on December 2022.